Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I think they cut down on the bun size from inflation or something though, before they were like 8 inches with a 10 inch dog, now they're probably 6 inch buns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Actually the average size has been trending smaller over time so really you were used to something abnormally, unnaturally long before ok :rant:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
40 pack of the cheapo ice cream sandwiches in today's haul :mrgw:

And some back ribs I'll grill up this week

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

large hands posted:

40 pack of the cheapo ice cream sandwiches in today's haul :mrgw:

And some back ribs I'll grill up this week
im always concerned that i wont be able to get them home before they will melt!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

im always concerned that i wont be able to get them home before they will melt!

Grab yourself a Kirkland insulated bag and put all your cold stuff in there :pray:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I also picked up those frozen Takiyaki (Japanese, filled, fish shaped waffles) as they were about $7 for the box. Tried them last night - pretty good. Vanilla tasted like pretty basic vanilla pudding, chocolate was surprisingly fudgy in a good way. The red bean paste/cinnamon felt like it was trying to strike a balance between the two and kind of missed on both as a result. Not terrible, but would have been better going in one direction I feel. The only thing was since I don't have an air fryer I had to bake them, which gave inconsistent results on crispiness for the outer waffle layer. If I can dial that in, these will be really good.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Alan Smithee posted:

Costco has a clearance what the gently caress

they actually do!

Costco employees explain how reading price tags can help you save money

quote:

Costco price tags occasionally reveal deals hidden in plain sight.

Business Insider recently asked 38 Costco employees from around the US to share their best tips for getting the best deal, and several of these employees said that members should check price tags carefully when shopping.

Certain symbols and sales prices can signify which products are about to run out, which ones have been marked down, and which items the store is desperate to get rid of.

Once you know this subtle secret code, you can use it to shop smarter and find better deals at your local Costco.

Asterisks indicate that the product won’t be around for long

A Costco employee of 15 months told Business Insider that seasonal items "that are the last quantities in stock are marked with an asterisk on signage." They added that such products "can be marked down quite a bit."

But, according to The Kitchn, asterisks don't necessarily indicate that the item has been marked down. It's just not going to be restocked, so if it's a favorite, you should grab it before it's gone.

"Your favorite item may be seasonal, so buy it if you see it," one employee who's worked at Costco for 29 years told Business Insider.

Look carefully at sales prices ending in .97

An employee who's been with Costco for 12 years told Business Insider that items with a sales price ending in .97 are clearance items and have have been marked down from the regular price.

In an article for Tough Nickel, a site dedicated to frugal living, Lee Rapoport wrote, "Unlike all other retailers, Costco doesn't like you to know this, so they don't put the original prices with a slash and then the new price as many stores do."

The website Costco.97 notes that the clearance price could go even lower if the product has been sitting on the shelves for a while at this price. The way to tell is to look at the date code, usually in the bottom right corner of the price tag, and if the last time the price was updated was a few weeks ago, "there's a good chance another round of discounts are coming soon."

Sales prices ending in 9 — other than .99 — may or may not indicate a deal

Rapoport reported that most regularly priced items have a sales price ending in .99.

But sales prices ending in .89, .79, .69, .59, or .49 can indicate a special deal that Costco got from one of its manufacturers.

The website Costco.97 reported that these sales items "may or may not be a good deal" and that they are "likely products new to the store that are being tested by the manufacturer, so they offer pricing that may be lower than what you'd normally see elsewhere."

Sales prices ending in .88 or .00 are likely manager markdowns

Rapoport wrote that sales prices ending in .88 or .00 indicate "manager markdowns."

Costco.97 also reported that these prices can mean the item is a sellable return, floor model, or one of "the last few units remaining that the manager is trying to get rid of."

A Costco employee of two years told Business Insider that a sales price ending in .00 designates products that Costco is trying to get rid of, "so buy up," they advise.

Costco 97 offers one caveat: "While you could be getting an amazing deal on these items, inspect them very carefully before purchasing as they could be damaged in some way or even missing a part."

I took my friend to Costco this weekend and we bought a shitload of stuff. He got some pork chops and chicken that he's gonna grill up, I got a thing of ribs that he's gonna smoke and we're gonna have for dinner later tonight, and we of course ended it with a hot dog

it's the little things in life

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's also sometimes a wall or signage by the goodies cage with additional stock that they won't put out for some reason poo poo like an L2 EV charger

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FilthyImp posted:

There's also sometimes a wall or signage by the goodies cage with additional stock that they won't put out for some reason poo poo like an L2 EV charger

like next to the eyeglasses station? how does this work

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yep, the bowls I got were 9.97 and the hose I passed on was $7.00. It ain't ever gonna be cheaper than that. If you see something you like at $x.97 buy all that you need because it won't be there next time.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

The St. Michel sugar cookies are amazing and I hope there are some left when I go this afternoon :ohdear:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I bought 10 pounds of chocolate chips about a year ago because they were marked down to $1.97 for a 2 pound bag. And these were the high dollar fancy chocolate chips, not Kirkland brand. I actually grabbed an employee to verify that the sign was correct. "The expensive ones aren't selling and we need the floor space. Buy as many bags as you want."

Always look for the .97.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
The nice lady who runs the bento place down the street and makes her own kimchi weekly always makes sure to ask if I really want kimchi on Sundays. "Are you sure? It's going to be ripe. I make it on Mondays." Her kimchi isn't too ripe for me, but my wife usually passes.

The Jongga (with 2 'g's) is super, super mild compared to other kimchi I've had, and it's hella ripe. Pronounced fizzyness in every bite. I'm just glad the spiciness is toned down compared to my usual fare; it's going to make some great kimchi fried rice today.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

mds2 posted:

I bought 10 pounds of chocolate chips about a year ago because they were marked down to $1.97 for a 2 pound bag. And these were the high dollar fancy chocolate chips, not Kirkland brand. I actually grabbed an employee to verify that the sign was correct. "The expensive ones aren't selling and we need the floor space. Buy as many bags as you want."

Always look for the .97.

I'm the terminator with the swiveling head going down the aisles

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Costco pharmacy "lost" my paperwork for the covid booster, had to fill it out in person. Been waiting now for 30 minutes...

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What are the absolute top tier family entrees from costco? I'm married with kids and sometimes want to just take something from the freezer and put it in the oven. I love the lasagne but my wife is getting sick of it. And what are the best frozen chicken breasts/nuggets? are any of them not reconstituted meat? The Tyson ones are.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

redreader posted:

What are the absolute top tier family entrees from costco? I'm married with kids and sometimes want to just take something from the freezer and put it in the oven. I love the lasagne but my wife is getting sick of it. And what are the best frozen chicken breasts/nuggets? are any of them not reconstituted meat? The Tyson ones are.

Does your store carry the ROCKY breaded chicken by petaluma poultry? I've never bought it, but I've gotten the same branded raw whole chicken from the grocery and its really good

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008

redreader posted:

What are the absolute top tier family entrees from costco? I'm married with kids and sometimes want to just take something from the freezer and put it in the oven. I love the lasagne but my wife is getting sick of it.

Ravioli Lasagna is probably my favorite.

I actually quite like the meatloaf and the Mac and cheese works fine in a pinch.

The only thing I've outright not liked at all were the stuffed peppers, though my kid loved them

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Does your store carry the ROCKY breaded chicken by petaluma poultry? I've never bought it, but I've gotten the same branded raw whole chicken from the grocery and its really good

Heres a pic of it. 12.59 for a 3 lb bag.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

How is the quality though? I love some nice fried chicken but if it’s like 60% breading around dry chicken I’ll pass

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Yea, I don't know, I've never bought it before. Just mentioning it as a possible option since thay brand chicken is pretty good

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Blah, ordered tires (same size as currently on my car) but tire center isn't able to put them on due to their regulations. Very polite and nice about it, just said that because it's over what the manufacturer says is allowable they technically aren't allowed to. Dude got them refunded, reordered me a set that they can of the same tire and made sure the promo was still applied though.

It's nice at least, sucked to waste the time this morning but it's not their fault that the tires that were in it were the cheapest piece of poo poo that fit. Big concern for me is just getting a good set on before winter sets in because Jesus gently caress I don't want these racing slicks on before the snow comes.

The michalin cross climates have good reviews for snow traction and I'm hoping they do good this winter in the snow belt. Now just to figure out which wheel bearings shot

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

redreader posted:

The Tyson panko breaded thin cut chicken breasts are not precooked, they come raw, and they're excellent. Not sure if they're reconstituted like a big raw chicken nugget but I'm not a fan of that type of meat either and these are really good.

We love the fresh meat loaf/mashed potato entree in the deli section. It does take a long time to get up to temperature though, and the mashed potatoes are absolutely swimming in butter (which is why they're so good).

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

redreader posted:

At ours they have big trays of butter chicken in the case with fresh caesar salad/donair/taco kits etc. Just reheat and serve and it's really good

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The meat loaf and mashed potatoes have always been a hit with everyone i've ever recommended them too. Surprising, considering it's meatloaf. But it's really tasty and affordable.

The other one I see recommended a lot are the street tacos, but i've never had them myself. You can always just do a rotisserie chicken and basically any other side item you find too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Alan Smithee posted:

Costco has a clearance what the gently caress

I got my big Kirkland rolling toolbox on clearance. $100-150 off, as I recall.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Went to church over the weekend and Christmas stuff has already been rolled out. My mom is a big crafter and had a moment at the holiday ribbon endcap. I was informed that its an incredibly deal so I'm sharing it with you all. They got big fat ribbon rolls, 50 yards for only $9 each. Apparently this stuff is normally like.. $5 for 3 yards. So it's an amazing price. There's lots of patterns, real intricate stuff too.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

All the bakery stuff and I've worked food court and deli before

What’s the worst department and why is it
Food court? I’m kidding (mostly), it seems like all the food based departments have similar problems and complaints.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

redreader posted:

The plastic boxes of fresh ravioli/tortellini. They come in 2 packs, one feeds 3 with reasonable portions so if you have hungry teenagers I'd just make both packs.

Tonight I made the butternut squash ravioli and it was real good. Mixed it with some brown butter and sage for a 5 minute dinner.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

redreader posted:

People liked the fully cooked Just Bare chicken breast chunks a few pages back. Link to where that discussion started: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008238&pagenumber=26&perpage=40#post525927217

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My wife was at costco like 20 minutes after I made the post and she couldn't find meatloaf, ravioli lasagne or mac and cheese in the frozen section. She couldn't even find the evol frozen meal 4-pack we normally get. Thanks for the recommendations though, we'll look again next time.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

My wife was at costco like 20 minutes after I made the post and she couldn't find meatloaf, ravioli lasagne or mac and cheese in the frozen section. She couldn't even find the evol frozen meal 4-pack we normally get. Thanks for the recommendations though, we'll look again next time.

Your first 3 are in the fresh food section (back wall in my Costco).
The fresh tortellini are nearby, so are the 2-packs of flautas, which go great with some soup (chicken tortilla?).

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

redreader posted:

Thankfully Costco provides a solution for this situation

https://www.costco.com/optical.html

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
I completely overlooked that you said frozen, the things I recommended are in the refrigerated section next to the rotisserie chickens. Sorry for that!

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

AmbientParadox posted:

Apparently this stuff is normally like.. $5 for 3 yards. So it's an amazing price. There's lots of patterns, real intricate stuff too.

They got them Dan Flashes ribbons?!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DamnitGannet posted:

What’s the worst department and why is it
Food court? I’m kidding (mostly), it seems like all the food based departments have similar problems and complaints.
Food Court gets poo poo on by the other depts which is hilarious given how loving stupid and incapable most of front end is. Which dept is best and worst really depends on the manager, a good manager makes any dept fine, a bad one means you transfer. Front end is the worst though, I could not stand standing in place for hours scanning poo poo. Made me want to blow my brains out.

Psion posted:

what are your actual "I would suggest you buy this" favorite bakery items, past or present

None, I can, and probably you as well, make anything we sell better with ease.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

How many Costco employees post itt?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Gaius Marius posted:

Food Court gets poo poo on by the other depts which is hilarious given how loving stupid and incapable most of front end is. Which dept is best and worst really depends on the manager, a good manager makes any dept fine, a bad one means you transfer. Front end is the worst though, I could not stand standing in place for hours scanning poo poo. Made me want to blow my brains out.

None, I can, and probably you as well, make anything we sell better with ease.

When I'm done caring for my brother and broke I will be hitting you up for a job

Just a heads up
Hopefully my bro has a couple more years

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'd work at Costco in a heartbeat, but when I applied 7-8years ago they never even hit me back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Spinz posted:

The giant friggin muffins are incredible too

30 seconds in the microwave and the choco ones are heavenly.