Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I associate swearing with getting Actually Mad so using PG versions out loud actually does help me get less annoyed at dumb crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Getting take out delivered

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

People who swear too much sound like morons. I know this as a moron. People who say "fuckin" 5 times in a sentence because they can't think of what to say are the lowest on the totem pole. Also forced swearers who you can really tell tried to insert a swear and it sounds all weird. Outraged internet people do this a lot. When someone who doesn't swear much cusses, you know they mean business though.

Thread relevant, but people who can't turn it off. I feel like most people I know will just drop F bombs or say lewd poo poo loudly at restaurants and other public places, often around kids and it annoys the hell out of me. Any time I point it out they are like "dude who cares no one is listening" even though there is a zero percent chance everyone within a 10 foot radius can't hear what they are saying.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Devils Affricate posted:

The machines work fine for the most part, it's just that there are a lot of people who are too dumb to use them, which is also something that I absolutely judge people for

:same:

Also people who spend longer than two minutes at an ATM. This amazing technology has existed for decades, it's not hard to know what type of transaction you're going to do before you get up to the drat thing. Do it, then check balance if you got to, and get your cash/card, and let the next person whose already got their card out have a turn. More money isn't going to magically appear the second or third time you check an account. Figure it out already.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I use "dang" and "heck" a lot but it's because 'drat' and 'hell' were made up by church weirdos and because "what the fuckin' heck?" and "wait a dang-fuckin' minute" are powerful phrases

The guy who changed the offensive "wait a cotton-pickin minute" to "wait a cock-blasting minute" and said it so natural my brain needed a pause to buffer that audio a second time remains a hero to me.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I judge people (goons) that try to pretend they don’t know about some common feature of pop culture because they mistakenly think others will think them cool.

Really? You can’t remember Sheldon’s/Ironmans/Homers Simpsons name? But you can luckily remember enough about a specific episode or joke so that everyone knows exactly what you are referring to?

Who’s that little performance for?

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
People who complain all the time or make up mental health issues when they have everything they could possibly want and then some

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
People whose cars are perpetually full of trash

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Devils Affricate posted:

People whose cars are perpetually full of trash

* who aren't homeless, they're just lazy commuters

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Extra row of tits posted:

I judge people (goons) that try to pretend they don’t know about some common feature of pop culture because they mistakenly think others will think them cool.

Lol sportball :rolleyes: what's a touchdown??? :v:

On the other hand, pretty much all I watch is baseball and American Dad, and all I listen to is folk/thrash/melodeath/power metal and '90s-'00s pop punk, so I worry that people will think I'm one of these poser assholes when I don't know something that apparently lots of people have known for a while.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

When people use the word "anymore" in a sentence that does not contain a negation.

"This show isn't very good anymore" <-- Perfectly fine.
"This show is terrible anymore" <-- Wrong and bad

You don't even need an absolute "not"; a partial negation like a "rarely" or a "hardly ever" is enough. But people using "anymore" in a way that doesn't relate to what isn't happening any longer is infuriating somehow.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

apparently that's actually a grammatically-sound, if archaic and regional, way of using it

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/...ahoma.%E2%80%9D

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

scott zoloft posted:

Getting take out delivered

Where does this come from, is it a poverty thing? Shame for “fobbing-off responsibility” to a poor person? My broke struggling family could only afford take-and-bake pizza when I was a kid, but in HS/college I used my part-time job money to order (cheap) pizzas for LAN parties and D&D. Otherwise my friends would have to drive to get them. I tipped great and never complained about delivery time, because it’s a stressful underpaid job that is going to exist no matter what

Edit: I feel salty here for being called out but I do want to hear more of your perspective. Is it the exploitation of labor, the waste of money, etc. My friend will only get delivery if the restaurant offers it ie no doordash/taskrabbit, and he hates Amazon deliveries too. Extremely ethical community organizer dancer guy in CA while I was paying out the rear end in NYC to get more time back, it felt very different

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 12, 2022

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Really? You can’t remember Sheldon’s/Ironmans/Homers Simpsons name? But you can luckily remember enough about a specific episode or joke so that everyone knows exactly what you are referring to?

Who’s that little performance for?

I do the opposite I pretend to be the normiest normie to my friends so they'll never ask me anything about computers. My generally speaking not playing videogames and inaptitude with the smartphone already sets precedent that I know poo poo all about technology.

Red Fructidor
Jan 8, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

When people use the word "anymore" in a sentence that does not contain a negation.

You don't even need an absolute "not"; a partial negation like a "rarely" or a "hardly ever" is enough. But people using "anymore" in a way that doesn't relate to what isn't happening any longer is infuriating somehow.

I grew up and went to school around Philly, and didn't encounter this until college, when I was exposed to people from the more...Appalachian areas of the state. It's one of those things that makes me skip a beat parsing the sentence, it's so bizarre.

Similarly dropping the "to be" from a statement as in "Does this need washed?" Which also seems to be said by people from those regions. No hate, we all have dumb regionalisms like that, but some are so far grammatically removed from the norm that it blows my mind that people who more or less speak the same way I do can use them without batting an eye.

edit: clarified

Red Fructidor fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 13, 2022

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

I've never encountered a native English speaker who does this. If I heard someone talking like this, I'd assume they have some kind of learning disability.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Red Fructidor posted:

Similarly dropping "to be" as in "Does this need washed?" Which also seems to be said by people from those regions. No hate, we all have dumb regionalisms like that, but some are so far grammatically removed from the norm that it blows my mind that people who more or less speak the same way I do can use them without batting an eye.

I feel like you have this backwards. Omitting the "to be" sounds wrong to me.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Swears are a linguistic lubricant, it's not a big deal.

Like sure, tell kids they shouldn't use em until they are older (which just makes them want to use them more, and trust me, they do), but it is actually useful.

"It's hosed." = This is broken beyond repair, the details don't matter.

"It's loving great" = This is really cool and works well.

"gently caress yeah!" = This is a really good thing, and I like it.

"gently caress this!" = I do not want to do this thing anymore, and am stopping now.

It's just more efficient.

Red Fructidor
Jan 8, 2004

humpthewind posted:

No, I absolutely agree with you

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

humpthewind posted:

Red Fructidor posted:

No, I absolutely agree with you

I regret to inform the both of you that your brains don't work

Red Fructidor
Jan 8, 2004

Well you don't need rude about it.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Analytic Engine posted:

Where does this come from, is it a poverty thing? Shame for “fobbing-off responsibility” to a poor person? My broke struggling family could only afford take-and-bake pizza when I was a kid, but in HS/college I used my part-time job money to order (cheap) pizzas for LAN parties and D&D. Otherwise my friends would have to drive to get them. I tipped great and never complained about delivery time, because it’s a stressful underpaid job that is going to exist no matter what

Edit: I feel salty here for being called out but I do want to hear more of your perspective. Is it the exploitation of labor, the waste of money, etc. My friend will only get delivery if the restaurant offers it ie no doordash/taskrabbit, and he hates Amazon deliveries too. Extremely ethical community organizer dancer guy in CA while I was paying out the rear end in NYC to get more time back, it felt very different

I don't because i think it's exceptionally lazy and it was never a thing growing up. It's easy to not participate. My parents were also dismissive of people buying things they didn't need on layaway. An attitude probably informed by class as much as it was thinking they were smarter than our neighbors

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elentor posted:

I do the opposite I pretend to be the normiest normie to my friends so they'll never ask me anything about computers. My generally speaking not playing videogames and inaptitude with the smartphone already sets precedent that I know poo poo all about technology.

Yeah if you go to college never tell anyone

A) you are good at computers
B) you have a pickup truck

:nono:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I majored in fashion being bad at computers was a pre-requisite to start and, surprisingly, the persona is forced out of you very quickly as soon as you learn you'll be dealing with the nerdiest programs in the computer industry and people drop like flies.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I 100% judge people for not having basic computer skills in 2022. It's a basic skill for essentially every job and it's truly not that hard to learn

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I can't drive because of a vision disability so I order delivery almost every time I eat out, and actually it owns. But also I just get free 1 year promos for doordash plus or whatever so I don't have to pay any delivery fees and then it's like a $4 service fee + tip and I tip well, because relative to the cost of having to own a car to do the same thing, maintain it, buy gas, spend my time driving and picking up food, etc. this way is infinitely less expensive.

But I order delivery maybe once a month and I keep seeing reddit posts or whatever where someone's like "wow I added up all my doordash orders and I spent $11,000 on delivered food this year" and :barf:

I also get my groceries delivered but that's a whole different ballgame because Instacart shoppers are actual employees of instacart with guaranteed hours and benefits and it only costs like $14 to have someone do 100% of the work for you, and they almost all will even carry all of your food up stairs and leave it at your doorstep if you live on the 2nd+ floor.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Yeah but we can keep some people employed to say "Close! But it's this button that opens the internet Debra."

Enjoy it while it lasts before we get the support AI's better.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

The day I took my last tech support call, I told everyone in my immediate family that they all get one tech support question and they're never allowed to ask me about anything again, and they have all been respectful of that.

I made one exception for my grandmother, but 1) she knew it was an exception, and 2) it was far enough away from my last call that it didn't make me want to shoot myself in the face.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I had a truck and made sure my friends knew if they wanted to use my truck to move, fine, but I wasn't going to be helping them move their poo poo around. Turns out that if you aren't going to help them with the heavy lifting, there are plenty of other trucks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

chainchompz posted:

Also people who spend longer than two minutes at an ATM...and let the next person whose already got their card out have a turn.

People who wait in line and don't have their poo poo ready to go when it's their turn.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Chief McHeath posted:

I had a truck and made sure my friends knew if they wanted to use my truck to move, fine, but I wasn't going to be helping them move their poo poo around. Turns out that if you aren't going to help them with the heavy lifting, there are plenty of other trucks.

it's a free workout and you get to be an asset to your community

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

People who wait in line and don't have their poo poo ready to go when it's their turn.

People who wait for anything and don't spend the waiting time mentally preparing. I judge them for living anxiety-free lives while the rest of us suffer

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Consuming only the most popular, easily accessible possible media. I assume you are simple/basic and usually this assumption is correct.

I'm not saying everyone needs super niche tastes, but please be more interesting than "oh yeah, I'm a big Star Wars, Marvel, and Harry Potter fan." Also in an age when we all are carrying a device that can not only stream any music possible but also decently curate new music to us based on what we've liked so far, there is no excuse to exclusively listen to "Top 40" music or whatever anymore.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Yeah, no.

We are talking about the try hards that pretend to know nothing about something simply to be different, but as pointed out, always know enough details to make sure what they are discussing is perfectly understood.

Also, are you confused that “lots of people” like “very popular and liked thing”?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah, no.

We are talking about the try hards that pretend to know nothing about something simply to be different, but as pointed out, always know enough details to make sure what they are discussing is perfectly understood.

Also, are you confused that “lots of people” like “very popular and liked thing”?

Huh? Are you replying to me? I wasn't replying to anyone else.

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005

I own a 20 foot long former uhaul truck with a powered tailgate.

I get friend requests on facebook from acquaintances I've known for years suspiciously pop up near the end of every month.

I get family I haven't seen in years call me up asking me to drive a measly 8 hours to save them the rental.

I've even had at least 3 strangers stop me while getting into my truck ask me to help them move things.

I've stopped parking in people's driveways and always park a block away because whether this is a friend's house or a complete stranger, once they see that truck they are pretty much guaranteed to ask me at some point to help them move something.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
delete your facebook

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

I can’t drive and am so bad at computers I may accidentally create skynet.

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005

kntfkr posted:

delete your facebook

I'd love to. Unfortunately, I need it for work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I can't stand when people get really into woo woo and crystal therapy and stuff. We live in modern times and we have modern therapies and technologies. Use them. Also, going around smelling like patchouli and BO is not cool.