Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah i've struggled with those thoughts and actions i've taken toward finding an authentic experience which sounds bourgeois and cringe but after introspection it's actually that i just seek out places where nobody's trying to sell me poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

I totally agree, but maybe we’re just defining the term a bit differently? If someone is seeking to escape alienation through consumer choices they’ve already crossed the threshold. At its core the search for authenticity is the search for labors that one feels a personal connection to and social networks that aren’t mediated by consumption and/or employment.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Xaris posted:

they're working hard on yung chomsky's vinyl LP. cut them some slack!

although i think it was last year there was that liz struggle session about the podcast and what it means to be podcasting and all they're doing is driving everyone insane without doing praxis and how they're going to slow down. i think they were burning out and while yeah once a week kinda sucks it's better than zero a week.

That's fine with me, though they should at least be transparent about what they plan on doing for their schedule.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
yeah 'we' all want to escape consumerism. but for america, it is nearly impossible. we're born consuming and die consuming. our personalities are about what we consume (MCU vs snyder-verse), our friendships are more often than not about about mutual consumption, our metamorphical 'brand' and how we think of ourselves as a a brand is consumption. that's a sweeping generalization and of course not applicable to everyone, but more people than not and it's all very intentional.

When the middle class cul-de-sac dweller who was born in a mid-sized white-flight city in Wisconsin or Ohio or poo poo living in relative cultural malaise and lack of communal identity, they've been deluged with cultural nostalgia of "oh wow all these urban-dwelling poor people have identities beyond consumption, look how much fun they have living in drafty lofts hanging out on stoops, and being starving singers or bartenders. look at how much fun these old chinese grandpas live playing chess on cardboard boxes in the park, i'm going to move to the big city in dingy chinatown and live it up".

like part of them is looking for that escape of overbearing consumption that has defined them their whole lives, but all their doing is consuming an aesthetic (or rather, experience consumption)

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

is there any class in america thats actually upwardly mobile atm?

seems like its as bad as its ever been, and those hugely overpriced apartments in commuting distance of tech companies are part of system along with student debt designed to keep the college educated class in the same perpetual serfdom as non college educated workers

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

studio mujahideen posted:

is there any class in america thats actually upwardly mobile atm?

seems like its as bad as its ever been, and those hugely overpriced apartments in commuting distance of tech companies are part of system along with student debt designed to keep the college educated class in the same perpetual serfdom as non college educated workers
eh, there was a thin slice of class of white upper-class top 50 bs cs wisconsinite transplants who got in on the ground floor of VC unicorns and FAANG tech/"advertising engineer" bonzana making it big with RSUs buying a big house in palo alto or brooklyn or w/e. but it was a small slice i guess and not really upward anymore. the cheap 0% interest rate money spigot and saudi oil money spigot is off now.

probably the wrong adjective to use

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Xaris posted:

yeah 'we' all want to escape consumerism. but for america, it is nearly impossible. we're born consuming and die consuming. our personalities are about what we consume (MCU vs snyder-verse), our friendships are more often than not about about mutual consumption, our metamorphical 'brand' and how we think of ourselves as a a brand is consumption. that's a sweeping generalization and of course not applicable to everyone, but more people than not and it's all very intentional.

When the middle class cul-de-sac dweller who was born in a mid-sized white-flight city in Wisconsin or Ohio or poo poo living in relative cultural malaise and lack of communal identity, they've been deluged with cultural nostalgia of "oh wow all these urban-dwelling poor people have identities beyond consumption, look how much fun they have living in drafty lofts hanging out on stoops, and being starving singers or bartenders. look at how much fun these old chinese grandpas live playing chess on cardboard boxes in the park, i'm going to move to the big city in dingy chinatown and live it up".

like part of them is looking for that escape of overbearing consumption that has defined them their whole lives, but all their doing is consuming an aesthetic (or rather, experience consumption)

i mean people have been moving to big cities to find The Real Life in the exact same way for like the last century of american history, what exactly has changed other than it changed from not just being NYC

im gonna move to new york and discover myself! is like a huge chunk of american cultural production in the 20th century

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Anna and Dasha from Red Scare are on the new Adam Friedland Show episode

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

i mean people have been moving to big cities to find The Real Life in the exact same way for like the last century of american history, what exactly has changed other than it changed from not just being NYC

im gonna move to new york and discover myself! is like a huge chunk of american cultural production in the 20th century

Wizard Master posted:

Perfect sequence of posts lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's fun to think of teddy roosevelt as a total poser

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TheSlutPit posted:

lol

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the only way you can have an inauthentic experience imo is by not engaging with your neighbors or the people you interact with.

like i grew up in las vegas, so the idea that a space designed to be artificially authentic is anathema to like genuine community is just kinda lol. you just gotta want it, and most people do!

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

TheSlutPit posted:

lol

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

AnimeIsTrash posted:

More importantly why does subway still exist??? Who even eats there???

I do, it's cheap and I got a free sub with a coupon code

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

you shouldnt go to any of them but its quiznos>subway>>>>>>>>>>jimmy johns

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've never had Jersey Mike's, but it looks like absolute trash tier sandwiches on their commercials. Like drat this is what they look like when you're trying to make them look good?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I've never had Jersey Mike's, but it looks like absolute trash tier sandwiches on their commercials. Like drat this is what they look like when you're trying to make them look good?

extremely wrong opinion

though i noticed a decade ago their "100% white albacore tuna" just changed to "tuna"

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
subway is the only authentic experience left

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
PepperJax

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Wizard Master posted:

lmao really

i have not listened to any of TAFS because i want to see the videos, but i keep forgetting to do it because it requires a bit more than just putting in my earbuds while i cook dinner.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

crepeface posted:

lmao really

i have not listened to any of TAFS because i want to see the videos, but i keep forgetting to do it because it requires a bit more than just putting in my earbuds while i cook dinner.

yeah i'm falling behind. it's not a podcast anymore!! i have to pay attention

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
All this fake authenticity talk made me think about the main character in Burn Notice living in a derelict industrial loft above a night club and I only just now realized that was supposed to be really cool

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Back in like 2013 when I was extremely poor Subway had this month-long anniversary special or something where certain subs were like $1.50 each, and I think I ate about forty of them in that timeframe and now I never want to eat there ever again

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

baby bombers. my bosses at my old job loved subway

nothing like bland wilty translucent sliced lettuce that's been sitting out for 72-hours congealing together on soggy mushy bread to really get that boomer pallete satisfied

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
in hindsight that should have been a sign that they were going to gently caress me over to the tune of thousands of dollars when i left and withhold vacation payout so they could scam PPP loan

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Xaris posted:

nothing like bland wilty translucent sliced lettuce that's been sitting out for 72-hours congealing together on soggy mushy bread to really get that boomer pallete satisfied

that’s why you gotta get the sandwich toasted

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

crepeface posted:

lmao really

I just finished it and it’s extremely funny, but it’s basically a short film and wouldn’t work at all in podcast format. Also according to the credits eugene kotlyarenko co-directed it which probably explains both the dasha cameo and the better-than-normal production quality.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the legendarily successful pivot to video....

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

you shouldnt go to any of them but its quiznos>subway>>>>>>>>>>jimmy johns

you literally have this backwards, it's JJ > SW > shitnos

keep in mind that i've been severely depressed for years and as such I value food by calorie/$/ease of eating

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Xaris posted:

they make fresh bread that smells terrible. that shouldn’t be possible. I’m waiting for the scandal of wtf chemicals are in their bread to finally drop someday cause I am very curious.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

C-Euro posted:

It's a few days old but I really liked the most recent Tech Won't Save Us ep on surveillance in school, both as a parent and as someone who is fortunate to not have any weird surveillance crap on any work-issued device. Of course, when I want to post I just do it on my phone :v:

The whole episode was totally maddening. It's disquieting to think about how kids nowadays are being raised with severely diminished expectations of privacy. It has genuine impact on self-expression on a basic level.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Morpheus: Do you believe that my being tastier or healthier has anything to do with my sandwiches in this place? Do you think that's bread you're eating now?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

keep in mind that i've been severely depressed for years and as such I value food by calorie/$/ease of eating

hot sandwiches > cold sandwiches for cheap sandwiches imo

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

Now that you mention it I don’t think I’ve seen a Quiznos in five or six years. They used to be kind of common but seem to have died off I guess

Best Friends posted:

they make fresh bread that smells terrible. that shouldn’t be possible. I’m waiting for the scandal of wtf chemicals are in their bread to finally drop someday cause I am very curious.

Did you completely miss the yoga mat controversy?

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 06:04 on Sep 13, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

A Bag of Milk posted:

The whole episode was totally maddening. It's disquieting to think about how kids nowadays are being raised with severely diminished expectations of privacy. It has genuine impact on self-expression on a basic level.

i just listened to it and yeah. its hosed up

ive seen a whole lot of lib goons and elsewhere say "there's no way the internet and computers can harm childs development! it's perfectly natural and fine!" yet everything about this poo poo, and in your face every waking second of the day, is going to be harmful

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Now that you mention it I don’t think I’ve seen a Quiznos in five or six years. They used to be kind of common but seem to have died off I guess

there's a thread about its demise

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Xaris posted:

i just listened to it and yeah. its hosed up

ive seen a whole lot of lib goons and elsewhere say "there's no way the internet and computers can harm childs development! it's perfectly natural and fine!" yet everything about this poo poo, and in your face every waking second of the day, is going to be harmful

the late founder of this very website knew that the internet makes you stupid a literal quarter century ago

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
idk how to watch the adam friedland show =/

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Did you completely miss the yoga mat controversy?

yes I did miss that entirely. huh, that’s interesting. but it looks like they (supposedly) stopped using it in 2014, and their bread still smells extremely weird. we must go deeper

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Smythe posted:

idk how to watch the adam friedland show =/

theyre on youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Goa Tse-tung posted: