Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

mawarannahr posted:

what slips through the cracks in terms of what can be expressed by words and what can’t? your post reminded me of research into how Google Maps is ruining our brains

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7156656/

this isn’t the only or best study but just an example. I know people who i have seen struggle to walk or drive home in a city they’ve lived in for years when they can’t use their maps app. I think this could have done analogies in the matter of writing in general.

Oh that's a really interesting point, I hadn't thought about things like actual cognitive processes being farmed out to technology like that. Especially given that it seems to degrade not just the kind of bigger-scale navigation that GPS is mostly used for, but also makes people worse at navigating smaller spaces like the mazes in the study. I guess to some extent that's just the tradeoff that comes with using any technology though, the more we depend on tools to do things the worse we get at doing them ourselves. That does lend credence to Socrates's point in a broad sense, in that we have to consider that our tools can wind up reducing our own capacities. I wonder if the same type of thing happens with the writing-as-external-memory phenomenon, I wouldn't be surprised if relying on books/google/wikipedia/etc for recalling fine details degrades our ability to remember them but idk if that's a particular type of memory versus broader concepts. My intuition is that it is, given that smoking a lot of weed has made me very bad at remembering those details lmao, but also that might just be that my memory in general is worse and it's a lot more noticeable with those kinds of specifics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
The Druids had a moratorium on writing and look what happened to them, now their religion is solely practiced by over literate nerds

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Eldoop posted:

Oh that's a really interesting point, I hadn't thought about things like actual cognitive processes being farmed out to technology like that. Especially given that it seems to degrade not just the kind of bigger-scale navigation that GPS is mostly used for, but also makes people worse at navigating smaller spaces like the mazes in the study. I guess to some extent that's just the tradeoff that comes with using any technology though, the more we depend on tools to do things the worse we get at doing them ourselves. That does lend credence to Socrates's point in a broad sense, in that we have to consider that our tools can wind up reducing our own capacities. I wonder if the same type of thing happens with the writing-as-external-memory phenomenon, I wouldn't be surprised if relying on books/google/wikipedia/etc for recalling fine details degrades our ability to remember them but idk if that's a particular type of memory versus broader concepts. My intuition is that it is, given that smoking a lot of weed has made me very bad at remembering those details lmao, but also that might just be that my memory in general is worse and it's a lot more noticeable with those kinds of specifics.

This is also an interesting thing to think about because it isn't one-way degradation. Using a smartphone GPS to navigate, for example, may make you worse at navigating without a smartphone GPS, but it makes you better at navigating with one. If you go to a completely new and unfamiliar place, someone with no smartphone GPS but great spatial memory will be pretty hopeless because they have no memory to draw on, but somebody with a smartphone GPS can find their way around by using their skill at GPS navigation.

You can draw similar parallels to Socrates's (or Plato's) argument about reading versus relying on conversations and memory. Sure, relying on reading written texts might alter the way you encode memories of complex information because your brain gets used to the idea that it can look things up when you need to know them instead of remembering them on the spot. Conversely, you are at the same time building new and different skills like remembering where you previously read a piece of information, or deepening your ability to do research on a topic in order to answer a question, or learning how to read a new text on an unfamiliar subject to learn something you previously didn't know. Socrates complains, for example, that you can't engage a written text in Socratic dialogue to learn more about it, you have to just take or leave what it gives you. Sure, that's not wrong. But it's also overlooking the obvious advantages of that model, like for example being able to build a library of different texts and use them to learn about a variety of subjects, which for most people is not ever going to be possible through just talking to people you know in real life. By building and using a library like that, you're developing new skills and new ways of remembering things. Like for example I have read many books but don't remember the details from all of them, but I often remember that a detail exists in a certain book, and roughly where I found it, which makes it easy to look up that detail when I need to recall it for some reason. My memory is likely not any worse because I'm learning a lot of things from texts rather than through conversations, even if my brain has adapted to this different model of knowledge by developing different skills to engage with my memories.

It's like, a skilled carpenter could make the argument that the invention of the chainsaw has degraded people's ability to saw down trees by hand. They're correct! But that's also besides the point because people have adapted to the new technology to do things in a different and often more efficient way.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Eldoop posted:

That reminds me of The Charles Stross novel Accelerando https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerando which has a chapter about this, where in the future a guy who has gone to an extreme with this and has ports to connect his brain to smart glasses and all a mesh computing thing on his head, etc. gets mugged and all his stuff taken and he's totally unable to function at first and it takes him hours to be able to do much of anything because he's been so reliant on a lot of his thinking being outsourced to the computers he was using without really realizing how reliant on them he had become.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sherbert Hoover posted:

compensating for something?

Can't a guy just really like garlic?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ArmZ posted:

there is as much historical evidence for the existence of socrates as for the existence of jesus

Well, that's certainly good news for the historical evidence for the existence of Jesus.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/lawrence_wright/status/1569127019895455744

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It's also like the 3rd Plymouth Rock because tourists kept chipping off a piece of it, then when they replaced it with another rock, the tourists went to town on that one too. Now they have it like that because the third meaningless rock must be protected.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Azathoth posted:

It's also like the 3rd Plymouth Rock because tourists kept chipping off a piece of it, then when they replaced it with another rock, the tourists went to town on that one too. Now they have it like that because the third meaningless rock must be protected.

Its the same rock, just much smaller than it was originally

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

It's hard to overstate how much personal restraint it's taking me to not belittle this imbecile for posting Early Modern history in the Pre-Modern thread

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the cutoff is napoleon but not gonna lie i initially posted in the wrong thread for that reason lol

ive given up on just the one history thread idea but could the mods maybe move the dividing line from napoleon to first contact with the americas thats probably a better spot

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

1492 sometimes seems like a clean cut because it's both first contact as well as the conquest of granada and the completion of the reconquista. the inquisition had just begun though and that was pre-modern as hell

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

the inquisition had just begun though and that was pre-modern as hell

was it really

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

how about we just deliberately leave that issue unresolved so that nobody expects the spanish inquisition

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I think 1453 is a good time

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

1492 sometimes seems like a clean cut because it's both first contact as well as the conquest of granada and the completion of the reconquista. the inquisition had just begun though and that was pre-modern as hell

the inquisition is a thoroughly early-modern institution lol, the middle ages were relatively relaxed about that kind of thing unless the pope got all heated up about something

but i do think that early-modern discussion generally fits better into a thread with all of the pre-1492 stuff than it does with post-1848 history

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 03:43 on Sep 13, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the counter-reformation seems more pre-modern but the reconquista/inquisition remind me more of the crusades than the 30 years' war. when i took a modern western civ course in college their beginning was the peace of westphalia

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Barry Foster posted:

Johnny Three Dices

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

THAT'S Plymouth Rock?? gently caress this cornball rear end nation

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmfao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the counter-reformation seems more pre-modern but the reconquista/inquisition remind me more of the crusades than the 30 years' war. when i took a modern western civ course in college their beginning was the peace of westphalia

that's a very common dividing line for Eurocentric college courses

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the dividing line is pre/post American revolution.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

People could just go by their own definitions of modern and premodern since most people interested will be reading both threads anyway. For example I draw the line at the accession of Fredrick III of Denmark in 1536 in accordance with the current Norwegian history textbook.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's silly it doesn't matter the primary function of the divide is literally to keep the romechat out of the ww2 chat and vice versa and that's it. otherwise those two subjects tend to suck all the oxygen out of the room and make history topics largely about one or the other. in cspam we also occasionally wanna argue about marxism so there's a third thread that also occasionally acts as a history thread for the same reason.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CoolCab posted:

it's silly it doesn't matter the primary function of the divide is literally to keep the romechat out of the ww2 chat and vice versa and that's it. otherwise those two subjects tend to suck all the oxygen out of the room and make history topics largely about one or the other. in cspam we also occasionally wanna argue about marxism so there's a third thread that also occasionally acts as a history thread for the same reason.

yeah this, I don't think anybody really cares where the dividing line is drawn as long as ancient Rome and Stalin aren't sharing a thread

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

CoolCab posted:

This is correct.

When twoday and I had originally discussed breaking this into two threads, the idea was essentially to make Roman etc. chat separate from more traditional cspam topics. We'd decided on Waterloo because, although just as arbitrary as any other of the good suggestions made itt, it keeps things like Marxism, early 19th century capitalism, and the ideologies and consciousness that arose from 1848 together with the resulting 150 years, which I think are tied together a bit more tightly than the centuries prior.

Of course, we never had any intention of making that a definite line that people shouldn't cross if the conversation flowed that way from its origin.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Only one of them ended up having a huge meltdown in the Forum.

also lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

this rock STINKS!

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

mawarannahr posted:

I think 1453 is a good time

the transition from the late middle ages began in 1453 and was completed in 1492. the intervening years are what the kids these days are calling a liminal space (i don’t know what this means)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

fabergay egg posted:

the transition from the late middle ages began in 1453 and was completed in 1492. the intervening years are what the kids these days are calling a liminal space (i don’t know what this means)

It means a space that makes you do this

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

fabergay egg posted:

its when you are walking to the coffee shop sunday morning at 7 am and it's still not open for some loving reason

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

fabergay egg posted:

It means a place you just pass through, like a hotel room or airport. You don't "belong" there like at home, or a friend's house, or at work.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Well I don't belong anywhere except now so all past is liminal.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

severance but it's about inquisition torturers

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Grevling posted:

People could just go by their own definitions of modern and premodern since most people interested will be reading both threads anyway. For example I draw the line at the accession of Fredrick III of Denmark in 1536 in accordance with the current Norwegian history textbook.
That's a very reasonable position, as he was the first lawfully absolute monarch in Europe. This puts him squarely in the same category as the despots of WW2; Stalin, Hitler and Roosevelt, where before the states were at the mercy of powerful land/warlords like in Rome.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

[Pre-modern history] about the fun history, before Frederick III of Denmark ruined everything

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Why did the protestant reformation happened in Germany? One would think that tithes, indulgences and problematicness of saints and purgatory would have been seen as problems in catholic faith all over christian world.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fish of hemp posted:

Why did the protestant reformation happened in Germany? One would think that tithes, indulgences and problematicness of saints and purgatory would have been seen as problems in catholic faith all over christian world.

The Germans didn’t want to pay for extravagant Mediterraneans to sit around and eat all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
It took a while for Northern Europe to develop to the point where there was a real cultural rivalry with the Mediterranean rather than dependency, and its representation in the Catholic Church hadn't caught up to the position they felt they deserved.