Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I looked it up, and apparently the mechanics of turning back and forth between mermaid and human is a major plot point :ms:

This part is less self-explanatory though

Wikipedia posted:

Melody reunites with her family, and Triton offers his granddaughter the choice of becoming a mermaid permanently. Instead, Melody uses the trident to destroy the wall separating her home from the sea, reuniting the humans and the merpeople.

like, this wall was built earlier in the movie, I just don't get why the wall is apparently the biggest obstacle between humans (who breathe air) and merfolk (who breathe water)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Lassater put a stop to those DTV sequels before he got outed as a sex pest

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Selkies are way cooler than mermaids anyway

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

loquacius posted:

I looked it up, and apparently the mechanics of turning back and forth between mermaid and human is a major plot point :ms:

This part is less self-explanatory though

like, this wall was built earlier in the movie, I just don't get why the wall is apparently the biggest obstacle between humans (who breathe air) and merfolk (who breathe water)

Ariel should have used the power of the trident to give all men fishdicks

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Anyone remember the Aquaman arc where an earthquake makes San Diego fall into the ocean and they all become mermaids they should do that as a movie.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

people in the comments saying that both movies are just trying to be realistic. The bottom of the ocean in a haunted boat wreck will look murkier than the shallow seas of Pandora. Because both of those are real places that exist.

has little mermaid always been a murky movie my vague childhood memories are that it was pretty upbeat

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

War and Pieces posted:

Anyone remember the Aquaman arc where an earthquake makes San Diego fall into the ocean and they all become mermaids they should do that as a movie.

are you sure youre not thinking of futurama

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Some Guy TT posted:

are you sure youre not thinking of futurama

that was Atlanta

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The magician?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

War and Pieces posted:

Whoever could forget Sub Diego

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

that was Atlanta

drat looks like donald glover took the concept some pretty wild places

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i started season 3 but thought the show was better when they were all poor. i have the episodes, should really finish it. season 1 is pretty groundbreaking

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

loquacius posted:

Why did her dad take away all her collectibles again? This was the worst Disney movie, I can't remember

Ariel had big sixth-in-line-for-the-throne energy; in that context he's lucky she was just into collecting forks instead of killing sex workers

She's literally the youngest of all his children iirc

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the little mermaid looks like loving trash. why did they design it to look so bad. all those hit movies to look back on for inspiration how to make a good looking film, and it looks like they filmed at night in an aquarium with an iPhone 6+

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

indigi posted:

the little mermaid looks like loving trash. why did they design it to look so bad. all those hit movies to look back on for inspiration how to make a good looking film, and it looks like they filmed at night in an aquarium with an iPhone 6+

exactly why.

lets put it this way, every live-action remake or mcu dump you take has a fixed profit of say $600 million no matter how bad or good you make it . you can edge that a bit with a $500 million marketing blitz or really good worth of mouth, but that only raises it from 6->7.

so with a fixed profit irrespective of quality, why spend money making it look good with expensive designers when you can just hand an iphone to some guy and have him stick it in an fish tank for $10 million and call it done

disney has done the math. they could spend $$$ making an emma watson live action, or spend $ making a dumbo or jungle book live action remake and make exactly the same profit.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:18 on Sep 13, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Xaris posted:

exactly why.

lets put it this way, every live-action remake or mcu dump you take has a fixed profit of say $600 million no matter how bad or good you make it . you can edge that a bit with a $500 million marketing blitz or really good worth of mouth, but that only raises it from 6->7.

so with a fixed profit irrespective of quality, why spend money making it look good with expensive designers when you can just hand an iphone to some guy and have him stick it in an fish tank for $10 million and call it done

disney has done the math. they could spend $$$ making an emma watson live action, or spend $ making a dumbo or jungle book live action remake and make exactly the same profit.

they're still spending 150-200 million dollars though, you can make a movie that doesn't look like poo poo for that budget

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

they're still spending 150-200 million dollars though, you can make a movie that doesn't look like poo poo for that budget

and rob those hardworking executives of all their cocaine? where is your sense of honor sir

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

loquacius posted:

This is the only popcult discourse apparently going on today (and I've looked), so

Ariel's kid raises some serious questions w/r/t the genetics of mermaidhood imo

I'm imagining a Punnett square for their offspring with human in the top left quadrant, fish bottom right, and likewise 25% chance of mermaid, or giant fish with human legs.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

loquacius posted:

This is the only popcult discourse apparently going on today (and I've looked), so

Ariel's kid raises some serious questions w/r/t the genetics of mermaidhood imo

I don't remember any of the Disney VHS sequels that they churned out in the 90s besides Return of Jafar.

I think it would be really funny if Disney just remade that with the Will Smith genie.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think i only saw that once but remember liking the third one with 'the midas touch' quite a bit

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

i say swears online posted:

i think i only saw that once but remember liking the third one with 'the midas touch' quite a bit

Oh yeah they got Robin Williams back in that one instead of Homer Simpson's voice actor.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Oh yeah they got Robin Williams back in that one instead of Homer Simpson's voice actor.

lol jason alexander is in the cast too. i don't remember a single thing about that one

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I like...

[whispers]

Belle's Magical Christmas.

(It's poo poo though)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

anyone remember Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue? I was so fuckin excited when that aired, like gamemasteranthony for toddlers

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They forced us to watch that in Elementary School in the 90s

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Better Call Saul did not win a single Emmy out of almost 50 in its entire run. The best losing show.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

return of jafar was the early 90s equivalent of prestige tv

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I don't remember any of the Disney VHS sequels that they churned out in the 90s besides Return of Jafar.

I think it would be really funny if Disney just remade that with the Will Smith genie.

There's actually a complete continuity; Return of Jafar sets up the TV series where Iago is a morally dubious but consistent ally while Aladdin and Jasmine continue to have adventures, and ending with the King of Thieves movie where they finally get married.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

josh04 posted:

return of jafar was the early 90s equivalent of prestige tv

Compared to the original movie it’s a huge step down but absolutely fits as a TV special

e: It made 300 million on a 5 million budget lmao its profit is just the budget of a Disney movie nowadays

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

War and Pieces posted:

Yeah. There is an issue with the aftermath and thousands of dead bodies are floating everywhere as Aquaman survives the damage and tries to find survivors.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1569617366899740672?s=20&t=PKWm841jyxwJ_e0Su7Ln6w

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ah drat

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mantis42 posted:

arguing in a not racist way that as a species dwelling at the bottom of the ocean and recieving little sunlight, mermaids would realistically have evolved pale skin
translucent skin, glow-in-the-dark tongue, and her dad is just this deformed little dude grafted to her mother's rear end

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

good

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ah shoot the Wes Anderson guy died

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Oh drat did he finally sit down and watch Breathless

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/NotABigJerk/status/1569667780122759168

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if you can't tell me the difference between the Noldor and the Nandor or the Falmari and Falathrim off the dome I don't want to hear your uneducated opinion on whether elves can be black or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Holy poo poo I thought Godard died years ago.