Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I was gonna say "you guys are a little obsessed with using the MAC blast" but then I remembered that the entirety of me playing Starcraft back in the day was just forcing my way up the tech tree until I could build Battlecruisers and spam Yamato blasts, so I'd be a total hypocrite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

When you've got a MAC every problem looks like something to blast.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

04 - Dome of Light

A giant forcefield on Arcadia. What are the Covenant hiding?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Halo Wars looks janky.

Edit: You keep getting gold, but it looks like the medal may be Gold for Easy Difficulty? Not Gold overall.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 9, 2022

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Halo Wars looks janky.

Oh-ho-ho-ho-ho yeah.

I never got past this mission, I don't think. Not because of jank, I was just really bad at RTSes as a kid. And no one I knew played it, so I went back to the FPSes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That Locust was doing some work in that mission.

I looked it up and it's classed as an "anti-fortification platform" which explains why it did so well against those enemy turrets.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder if that really was the game deciding you weren't MACing enough.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Kibayasu posted:

I wonder if that really was the game deciding you weren't MACing enough.

Realistically, I suspect that the objective was merely to take out certain specific buildings in the base, and once those were all gone, the cutscene takes out the rest.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That Locust was doing some work in that mission.

I looked it up and it's classed as an "anti-fortification platform" which explains why it did so well against those enemy turrets.

It seems like things in this game are classified as either infantry, vehicles, aircraft, or structures, and then certain units are strong/weak against other types of units. In general, infantry is strong against aircraft, vehicles are strong against infantry, and aircraft are strong against vehicles, but then I guess some specific units are strong against structures as well.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Realistically, I suspect that the objective was merely to take out certain specific buildings in the base, and once those were all gone, the cutscene takes out the rest.

Yeah there's some sort of trigger. Could be time taken, or shots taken, or targets destroyed, but who would bother to find out which?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

05 - Scarab

We go whole hog against an unfinished Covenant Super-Scarab.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Gotta love clearing a mission in an RTS by spamming the Meme Unit.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly surprised you didn't do an all-Scorpion run but going whole hog is a bold move

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I need my own personal Scarab. You never know when you'll find yourself up against 30 to 40 hogs!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mass rushes with basic units is a grand tradition in RTS games.

Also that was actually a pretty good gimmick mission. Not exactly stealth but sort of?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

BlazetheInferno posted:

Gotta love clearing a mission in an RTS by spamming the Meme Unit.

This is the downside (?) of the live commentary. I'm very easily swayed by my co-commentators into doing dumb things.

Kibayasu posted:

Mass rushes with basic units is a grand tradition in RTS games.

Also that was actually a pretty good gimmick mission. Not exactly stealth but sort of?

It's the classic action-platformer puzzle of avoid the eye, but in an RTS setting. You can see how you could try and advance troops by hiding them behind cover, but it'd take a whole lot of work fighting the controls and AI to do it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

It's the classic action-platformer puzzle of avoid the eye, but in an RTS setting. You can see how you could try and advance troops by hiding them behind cover, but it'd take a whole lot of work fighting the controls and AI to do it.

And by massing so many troops I don’t think casualties could have been avoided anyway. Were all your warthogs even able to attack before you started losing them?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

White Coke posted:

And by massing so many troops I don’t think casualties could have been avoided anyway. Were all your warthogs even able to attack before you started losing them?

No I definitely ended up driving a bunch of them right into the eye. Interestingly, if I was smarter (or maybe just paying more attention), I probably could have brought a smaller group to the one side and completely avoided any damage.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

06 - Anders' Signal

The Spirit of Fire finds itself around a strange, uncharted planet.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Personally, I assume that "Too much information" from Forge wasn't "brain too small, no give thinky thoughts pls", that was him going "OH GOD THAT'S HORRIFYING WHY WOULD YOU TELL ME THIS WHEN I AM DOWN HERE FIGHTING FOR MY LIFE AGAINST THESE THINGS??? :gonk:"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think the Elephant was getting guns on lockdown to make it more like, well, a base. Or to draw a parallel to a game I actually know, like how when a Siege Tank in Starcraft goes into siege mode, it's range expands.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

TwoPair posted:

I think the Elephant was getting guns on lockdown to make it more like, well, a base. Or to draw a parallel to a game I actually know, like how when a Siege Tank in Starcraft goes into siege mode, it's range expands.

Yeah, but I don't think they get extra guns in actual gameplay, just in that cutscene. And the Rhino in this game does the exact same thing as that Siege Tank.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"These creatures appear to have spread across this entire planet like a wave. Its as if they breached a river bank and or a tsunami made landfall. A veritable flood of destruction."

"What should we call them?"

"I dunno, the parasites?"

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

07 - The Flood

There's an army of disgusting Flood between us and Dr. Anders.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure it's not that hard if you're good at RTSes but man that whole "Kill all the flood bases at once" seems like it'd be very difficult

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

TwoPair posted:

I'm sure it's not that hard if you're good at RTSes but man that whole "Kill all the flood bases at once" seems like it'd be very difficult

The idea that came to my mind was to station a heavy hitter unit where they regen to just be right there to blow them up again, like Creeper World.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

07 - The Flood

There's an army of disgusting Flood between us and Dr. Anders.

You should consider your troops more expendable. At least send the initial units to scout out the nearby areas as soon as you have some kind of base defenses or unit production up. I doubt the game will zerg rush you with a force that requires every possible unit to survive, and those nearby areas seem to have good resources or secret reinforcements pretty often

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

08 - Shield World

Everyone back to the ship, there's more weird stuff happening!

Wheany posted:

You should consider your troops more expendable. At least send the initial units to scout out the nearby areas as soon as you have some kind of base defenses or unit production up. I doubt the game will zerg rush you with a force that requires every possible unit to survive, and those nearby areas seem to have good resources or secret reinforcements pretty often

Yeah you're totally right. I always just feel weird without units stationed at the base. I only have the last couple missions left to record, but I'll try and do more scouting. Even just sending a couple infantry or hornets to kick around is a good idea.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

ok i seriously have to ask, are you paying any attention to the words being written and spoken on the screen while you are playing :psyduck:

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

biosterous posted:

ok i seriously have to ask, are you paying any attention to the words being written and spoken on the screen while you are playing :psyduck:

I think it's pretty clear that I'm not. Although even I can't believe how badly I miss stuff when I'm doing the editing afterwards. I think the issue is that half my brain is paying attention to whatever thing I'm trying to do with my units, and the other half of my brain is trying to pay attention to Cletus and Swordfishhh, and then I just blank out all the flavour text and stuff.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the curse of every twitch streamer, really

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I didn't see much that was missed all that badly. Also I'm sure someone can do it and get a max score but getting 350 swarm kills seems counter to the time score.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

AriadneThread posted:

the curse of every twitch streamer, really

Now Frenzy just needs to randomly stop playing to read the chat and thanking people for donating.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

09 - Cleansing

It's extremely impolite to track parasitic lifeforms into someone else's house.

Kibayasu posted:

I didn't see much that was missed all that badly. Also I'm sure someone can do it and get a max score but getting 350 swarm kills seems counter to the time score.

I played around a little while doing thumbnails, and to do it effectively you'd basically have to figure out which flood building was producing swarms and then leave it alive while parking warthogs or wolverines nearby. I did get very close without trying, but I wasn't exactly playing well lol.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Yeah, that mission was a lot better watch imo because you started attacking immediately. You could have just turtled in the middle and amass troops, but you went on the offensive, that's way more interesting. Missing the gimmick of the ring removing dormant flood buildings was fine since you're doing this blind and live

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Don't think it's posted elsewhere but I caught up on Turnip Boy does Tax Evasion, and that's kind of a perfect little LP there. A game that looks clever that I wanted to know more about, but didn't really feel like playing mechanically. Thanks Frenzy!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

In lieu of expansive maps I do like the gimmicks these levels come up with. A lot of RTS campaigns can get bogged down in the "build base, build tanks, attack base" routine without changing anything except unlocking slightly more of the tech tree - one of the few that didn't was Command & Conquer with its "commando" missions and these are kind of reminding me of them (a good thing). They were able to take minor gameplay elements that probably wouldn't come up often in a standard base vs base level and make an entire level out of them to good effect. In this case you're got garrisoning, turrets, and the recently learned info of flood unknown parasite buildings regenerating over time. Plus just the neat visuals of fighting on top of your ship.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Yeah I really like how Halo Wars mixes up it's missions and has interesting gimmicks to them. A lot of the older C&C games, the missions tended to boil down to "destroy the enemy base". Of course the fact they are still throwing new mechanics at me while playing blind does cause some issues.

Scaramouche posted:

Don't think it's posted elsewhere but I caught up on Turnip Boy does Tax Evasion, and that's kind of a perfect little LP there. A game that looks clever that I wanted to know more about, but didn't really feel like playing mechanically. Thanks Frenzy!

Hey, I'm glad you enjoyed it! It was a fun little game, and it was pointed out to me that it's getting a sequel that looks like some kind of roguelike hotline miami type of thing.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

10 - Repairs

We're a long way from a UNSC repair base. Time for some DIY repair work.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I like that every time you highlight a Cyclops that's doing repair work it still registers as "Building Killer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
What kind of idiot commander and AI smack their battlecruiser (or whatever class the Spirit of Fire is) point blank into another ship?
Those precursor structures seems hilariously dangerous with no safety rules for space boating.