Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

unwantedplatypus posted:

Reading this thread, in this state? Yeah you got me

I'm the department's receptionist; I was actually kind of curious about that talk when I was putting up the flyers. Most of those talks sound dreadful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

tgacon posted:

I'm the department's receptionist; I was actually kind of curious about that talk when I was putting up the flyers. Most of those talks sound dreadful.

Most of the seminars are at the very least informative; if dry. I won't pretend I pay full attention to all of them, but some catch my interest. They're more interesting the more you know about the field. This one was just weird. Weird source of funding, weird narrative introduction, weird conclusion.

unwantedplatypus has issued a correction as of 00:43 on Sep 13, 2022

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!

Tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust
And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat
Like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared
"Hear me now, I have seen the light!
They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul!
drat you! Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!
Can I get an amen? Can I get a hallelujah? Thank you Jesus

thanks for reminding me of this tomato gestapo

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Mayor Dave posted:

Here are some other pics from the same area:

Oops they only had enough water to fill half of those wildlife refuges this year

https://interiornewswire.com/storie...n-opportunities

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Dog Case posted:

Oops they only had enough water to fill half of those wildlife refuges this year

No it's fine. Didn't you see the pictures of better days? Clearly everything is just fine, no need to worry! Lmao

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Dog Case posted:

I’m sure the wildlife will be understanding.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Trabisnikof posted:

I’m going with Steinbeck personally.
when the opportunity comes, the only literature you'll be able to remember offhand is the grrm quote about making GBS threads in a field

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I explained to the migratory birds that golf courses are good for the economy and they were very chill about it don't worry

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Plastic may be making you obese, scientists warn

Hell yeah... right in my veins

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

an egg posted:

when the opportunity comes, the only literature you'll be able to remember offhand is the grrm quote about making GBS threads in a field

You underestimate how frequently I recite the choice bits of chapter 25 of the grapes of wrath.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i kind of assumed something had to be going on when i have to put tremendous mental and physical effort into staying fit and my dad managed to do it when he was my age despite drinking like 800 beers a week and eating a diet best described as troubling

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

seems like another confirmation of previous studies on the subject.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3554682/

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
that's okay, I'll keep eating that garbage

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ah, the Time Mold Slime Mold blog remains winning.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
so all i have to do to be sexy is stop eating plastic

sounds easy enough

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

so all i have to do to be sexy is stop eating plastic

sounds easy enough

This one simple trick may be harder than you think!

True story though - im pretty drat active - walk 3-4 miles every day, do a lot of summer hiking, snowboarding and such through the winter. Eat a pretty healthy diet with very little fast food and I make almost everything myself due to an allium allergy in the house hold and I STILL have a hard time keeping excess weight off.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Cloks posted:

that's okay, I'll keep eating that garbage

that's great to hear...we don't have a choice lol

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
your lovers mouth has microplastics trapped inbetween their teeth and on their gums. do not french kiss

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

silicone thrills posted:

This one simple trick may be harder than you think!

True story though - im pretty drat active - walk 3-4 miles every day, do a lot of summer hiking, snowboarding and such through the winter. Eat a pretty healthy diet with very little fast food and I make almost everything myself due to an allium allergy in the house hold and I STILL have a hard time keeping excess weight off.

Conversely my dad had (and still has) a lot of trouble keeping his weight down whereas fat just melts off my body regardless of what crap I eat (lots) and how little exercise I do (none) leaving a perfectly slim, if muscle-free, body

Admittedly I have made some muscles in the past few years and even improved my diet, so it might be a "I was under 30" thing

But I do reckon genetics has a lot more to do with it than other factors and genetics can be fickle, skipping generations and what not. I'm sure I'm consuming plenty of plastic

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
ummm no fake news. many Very Smart people have informed us that it's purely just because people are lazier and sit at computers more. pollution cannot affect obesity or hormones. simple.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I've got a biosphere solution for ya *blows the windows out with the force of his fart*

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Great another methane outgassing. Well done.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Stereotype posted:

i'm so excited for when i get to record some climate catastrophe on my phone. i'm gonna make sure to keep the video steady and record in landscape, and also maybe provide some useful commentary. plus i'll make sure to make the video sort of long instead of these 10 second teasers
i will never include commentary on my disaster videos. im a purist. the art speaks for itself.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

TACD posted:

i will never include commentary on my disaster videos. im a purist. the art speaks for itself.

:piss:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i just forget to eat and the weight melts riht off

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Stereotype posted:

i'm so excited for when i get to record some climate catastrophe on my phone. i'm gonna make sure to keep the video steady and record in landscape, and also maybe provide some useful commentary. plus i'll make sure to make the video sort of long instead of these 10 second teasers

be sure to use slow mo if it would look cool

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Stereotype posted:

Make sure you're livestreaming + uploading the livestream somewhere so everyone can see the video no matter what.. uh.. happens :)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I think we need a compilation of the best POV climate change videos in this thread somewhere. There was that one of the avalanche slowly working its way to the camera holder that was just :discourse:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
This is the current GOAT to me:

https://youtube.com/watch?time_continue=164&v=6Hubsg4UHmw&feature=emb_title

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/b_fung/status/1569386801994891264

quote:

“On September 5th, Twitter experienced the loss of its Sacramento (SMF) datacenter region due to extreme weather. The unprecedented event resulted in the total shutdown of physical equipment in SMF,” Carrie Fernandez, the company’s vice president of engineering, said in an internal message to Twitter engineers on Friday.
I thought indoor economic activity was supposed to be safe from these atmospheric vagaries! :stonk:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Crazypoops posted:

I've got a biosphere solution for ya *blows the windows out with the force of his fart*

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

goochtit posted:

I thought indoor economic activity was supposed to be safe from these atmospheric vagaries! :stonk:

Start building data centers 40 feet underground

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Paradoxish posted:

Start building data centers 40 feet underground

You joke but microsoft is literally starting to put them in deep water.

https://news.microsoft.com/innovation-stories/project-natick-underwater-datacenter/

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

goochtit posted:

Climate change is good, actually

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

silicone thrills posted:

https://news.microsoft.com/innovation-stories/project-natick-underwater-datacenter/

too bad the oceans are also starting to boil

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

silicone thrills posted:

I’d love to dive down like solid snake on a mission to restart the server

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mawarannahr posted:

I’d love to dive down like solid snake on a mission to restart the server

Honestly any server or renderbox i've set up in the last 5 years new hasn't needed a physical touch reboot. Older garbage still does tho.

The stats on the underwater DC turned out pretty fuckin good tho. way lower failure rates than average. I guess soaking poo poo in nitrogen will do that tho.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

got a good crack ping from this thread a few years back when someone posted a terrifying map overlay of obesity/cancer/endocrine disorder rates as distributed throughout the various Mississippi watersheds, with cases being more common and severe the further downhill you are

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

silicone thrills posted:

On the one hand I'm thinking salt water under pressure will not end up improving Microsoft's legendary reliability reputation, otoh I approve of the concept of sealing their products in a can and dumping them in a deep ocean trench.

Surprised this concept wins out over sticking them in the Arctic. Oh right, the Arctic keeps catching on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

silicone thrills posted:

Honestly any server or renderbox i've set up in the last 5 years new hasn't needed a physical touch reboot. Older garbage still does tho.

The stats on the underwater DC turned out pretty fuckin good tho. way lower failure rates than average. I guess soaking poo poo in nitrogen will do that tho.

Says something about the reliability of shore-based installations. Thinking about that freighter a few years ago in the Mediterranean that took out a chunk of the world's Internet with a misplaced anchor. Maybe it will result in fewer failures, but more spectacular.