Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Hey I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS (p8s was harder in 6.2) on the THE ABYSSOS EIGHTH CIRCLE SAVAGE 6.21 (it was harder in 6.2) CLEAR. I know you've been working really hard (p8s used to be harder) at it, and I'm happy that you've (p8s used to be harder) achieved your goal of completion. I know your journey through (p8s used to be harder) the content was filled with ups and downs, but you and (p8s used to be harder) your group stuck (p8s used to be harder) together through them all, and you were rewarded for your patience and (p8s used to be harder) tenacity. Congratulations (p8s used to be so much harder) once again, and here's to more success in your future (p8s used to be harder) endeavors!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Get gif

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Red Metal posted:

Hey I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS (p8s was harder in 6.2) on the THE ABYSSOS EIGHTH CIRCLE SAVAGE 6.21 (it was harder in 6.2) CLEAR. I know you've been working really hard (p8s used to be harder) at it, and I'm happy that you've (p8s used to be harder) achieved your goal of completion. I know your journey through (p8s used to be harder) the content was filled with ups and downs, but you and (p8s used to be harder) your group stuck (p8s used to be harder) together through them all, and you were rewarded for your patience and (p8s used to be harder) tenacity. Congratulations (p8s used to be so much harder) once again, and here's to more success in your future (p8s used to be harder) endeavors!!!

true

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

quote:

An issue on the island sanctuary wherein certain animals did not appear despite meeting the requirements to find them.
Nice, should help with the gator and such.

quote:

An issue when using the glamour dresser wherein executing the /isearch command with a large number of items in the dresser and Armoire forcibly closed the game client.
"Okay, we've got all the bugs worked out to double dresser space, right?"

quote:

An issue wherein equipping Isle Farmhand's Boots together with certain other gear caused their graphics to display incorrectly.
I am in no way surprised they fixed this, but the Curse of the Missing Shins was fun.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
oh nice theres potency buffs this patch, can't wait to see the mch changes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Countblanc posted:

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/9f7fc966eaf0751728dedd909221983d9208a7c5

Third party tools under attack.

quote:

Following an investigation, we have identified the original player who illegitimately placed the waymarks and will be issuing an account penalty for illicit activity.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

finally

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Interesting that they were able to ID the originator even without any serverside verification. Must've taken a bit of detective work.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

going by their explanation it mightve been a matter of seeing when the server confirmed a valid position that shouldn'tve happened

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

finally i am free

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

another 90 potency to go on fell cleave before i'm satisfied but i guess it's okay for now

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Jabbering Idiot posted:

I dunno why the thread went off on a tangent bashing Enmity or stance dancing like someone defended it as a system; all I said is that I miss having threat dropping tools because I now unavoidably die all the goddamn time where I wasn't before because they put Enmity entirely under the control of the three tanks out of 24 players, instead of a little bit in everyone's hands. It's a copy of Vanilla and TBC WoW, where the only way to control threat was to stop. Oh, unless you were playing one of the few classes that occasionally manage its own aggro, so, right, I guess it's worse than that version of WoW.

It's the same when they moved Virus and Disable off of healers and put it on dps: they were reworking the system of party mitigation from primarily a healer concern to including tanks and dps evenly (tanks had one option to affect it in ARR and HW; SMN could also contribute and MNK did so naturally via their combo). They reworked enmity in StB to be more evenly under everyone's control (and even more trivial with the addition of Shirk and STR on tank accessories) before choosing to try and do away with the system in ShB. As a side effect, they didn't consider how those tools that existed since ARR and were made more available in StB weren't only tools that top-end raiders were using to thread the needle between tank dps and tank aggro, but also tools that were usable in every other content in the game.

Sometimes, balance changes should be made for the normal game, because that's actually most of the game. I don't think it's selfish of me to want to have more control over my fate in a group just because I've been playing the game for a long time and can tell when a tank's going to die and I'm on deck for a tankbuster.

I shout something in chat and start kiting, but that just pisses people off because I'm moving the boss or telling them how to pay their sub or whatever. Meanwhile, I don't get heals because the healers are too focused on their simple two-button rotation anyways (don't want it to be too complex, or else they might miss something important happening in the fight!), the offtank(s) don't provoke because they're blissfully unaware that the boss is hitting a new target (let alone that it's not a tank), and then I die when the boss stops moving to wind up the tankbuster that's a ranged attack that puts a giant bouncing crosshair on my head to, y'know, let others know something's happening. Anyways, I get two rezzes just in time for when I'm dead, and a third one after I've already accepted one and am getting back to my feet. Good to know there are healers watching the UI frames at least. Actually, this sounds pretty hilarious picturing it now. It's like whoever said letting the boss just apply a damage down to whoever's dealing the most damage every minute.

-------

If they're trying to make changes that are good for the longevity of the game, having jobs that players can really dig deep into and take time to master aren't a bad thing. There are players who like to learn the ins and outs of everything, and they're more likely to be the kind that stick and try all of the stuff you add anyways, including the hard stuff.

What makes a game easy or hard is its content, and that's already divvied up by difficulty. The jobs could be incredibly complicated, but if it only requires that the tank puts on a stance and provokes the boss and the healer heals the group once every 30 seconds, eventually the group would win. Once you get past the spectacle and the story, all that remains on the repeat viewings is the game you are playing are the people you're playing with. When you play with random people, only one of those things remains. Why not make that thing more interesting across ALL content?

If your dps as a healer isn't perfect in any content, that's fine. No encounter in this game, even the hardest ones, ever required healer's dps to be perfect, even for the very first clear. Right now, the PVP version of every healer is more interesting. WAR is the most interestingly designed healing job right now.

If you're worried about role representation, keep one each simple enough for the players both simultaneously intimidated by and unwilling to believe that they can improve enough to enjoy a certain job. They did this in ARR.

And to players that worry about it, it's ok to mess up, and it's satisfying to improve. You letting people down and making their day worse is just in your head. The game's designed for everyone to die a whole lot, and it minimizes frustration by putting you right back at the boss. Hell, wiping in dungeons is more stressful than anywhere else, cuz you have to walk farther, but at least you get to take in the scenery that everyone just blazes past! That one guy grumbling in chat is a dumbass and doesn't really understand why the group wiped anyways; gently caress that guy.

didnt read :cheers:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

weird to me they would bother making a 1% adjustment when thats pretty within the margin of smoothed out naturally by gear within...not really that long honestly

smite their rear end

Vermain posted:

Interesting that they were able to ID the originator even without any serverside verification. Must've taken a bit of detective work.

they log an absolute ton on this game, probably almost any real communication with the server i bet. They even did this kind of work in stormblood when the ungarmax exploit was discovered (read more here: https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv...113#post4611113. My favorite detail is "As an additional note, while during our investigation we confirmed that several players exploited this bug while undertaking the Unending Coil of Bahamut prior to 2/27, and one player after, none successfully completed the duty.").

the markers in question were placed outside the initial starting arenas ground, and ever since they changed it you cant place markers mid combat. This is speculation but it's fairly safe given what I know, but someone either used a plugin to let them change their markers clientside in combat (in this case, would allow them to place after the platform has changed), which wouldnt really flag anything yet. But after that, my guess is they saved that as a preset, and then applied it post wipe, and now everyone has access to it. Alternatively, they just edited the preset directly somehow. Either way, at some point you need to get past it just being clientside, which means the markers have to be sent serverside for placement so the illegal coordinates had to be sent at some point which is identifying enough. True, its possible people were sharing these presets adhoc initially before it broke out through the in game presets, but really anyone in that ring should get punished.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

derra posted:

The first day has no demand modifiers. You should always be crafting something with a demand modifier (or something to combo into something with a good demand modifier) so the first day should always be a rest.

The second rest day varies week by week.

If the second day of the week is a strong day for a particular item, having rested on the first day means you'd be making it with basically no groove. Or has the meta moved towards groove building being wasteful compared to maximizing the output of strong days?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Thundarr posted:

If the second day of the week is a strong day for a particular item, having rested on the first day means you'd be making it with basically no groove. Or has the meta moved towards groove building being wasteful compared to maximizing the output of strong days?

I believe so. You only have so many output days, and since there's a cap that even a daily 4 craft cycle'll hit before the end of the week, pushing groove up early has a maximum potential benefit that is generally outweighed by the cowrie difference. In addition, the last days of a week, all things being equal, will be closer to optimal as we get more information from the demand cycle. It's there that the groove difference is smallest to nonexistent. Finally, optimizing around supply is a huge difference. Even an insufficient is equivalent to 30% groove (different multipliers so not quite one to one); you're actually giving up quite a lot by having a preset on day 1 before you can react to supply.

I'm also not sold on the behavior when you craft things that was detailed in the image going around. I crafted 3 firesand earlier in the week (not 3 x2 efficiency bonus, literally the first craft of the day was firesand) with the intent of doing a (firesand -> rapier)x2 combo later on in the week, only exceeding 8 firesand at the end of the final craft, but firesand supply was bumped up to Surplus after only the original 3. It was the only firesand I had crafted to that time. I can't count on requiring 8 for a bump, and most of the 4 hours you'd want to use are important for combo crafts later on when you will have some groove and potentially supply bonuses as well. (I am only going to assume that I can double up on an item when it's the literal peak day for that item this week).

Is it possible for a groove schedule to be optimal for a given week? Yes, I believe so, but I also think it's unlikely, only really determinable in hindsight and probably won't be a huge spread. To me, groove is only worth purposely building if day 2 is exceptionally weak or if an optimal early-week craft is a 6h, so you can compare 4-6-4-6-4 with a more standard 4-6-8-6 or 6-6-6-6.

That being said, I don't use the calculator, didn't quite understand demand, pumped groove the first day last week and still got 22.5k so it's definitely competitive. Going to concentrate on moneymakers this week though.

derra fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 13, 2022

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So just to be clear: is the idea w/ groove building just “spend your first day chaining the most valuable 4-hour crafts you can”?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

i heard that "Groove is in the heart"

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
oh boy i sure hope hardcore raiders ruin xivlauncher for the rest of us

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

RME posted:

smite their rear end

Question: How exactly does placing waymarks in non-grounded locations give anyone an unfair advantage in any way?

Waymarks have no in-game effect whatsoever. They don't allow you to do more damage, take less, or provide any sort of hidden information. They're just simple graphical reminders for people with poo poo memories.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This specific set of waymarks does enable a really braineead strat in what is otherwise one of the hardest mechanics in the fight. That said, their response includes "we'll let you do this legit now" so it's not like they view the waymarks themselves as a problem, just the method of creation

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Offkorn posted:

Question: How exactly does placing waymarks in non-grounded locations give anyone an unfair advantage in any way?

Waymarks have no in-game effect whatsoever. They don't allow you to do more damage, take less, or provide any sort of hidden information. They're just simple graphical reminders for people with poo poo memories.

You can't do it without a mod, that's all it is. There's no way to place waymarks in those positions with the basic game initially, unless you're copying waymarks from someone who copied it from someone who copied it from someone who did it via a mod.

The unfair advantage is it can only be done via mods, which only work on computer (and are against TOS). If you think this is ridiculous, it is, but thems the rules. This is also why they're explicitly changing it so you can put waymarks in those none ground locations, it just isn't in 6.21.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Island sanctuary craft optimisation is one of those in game things where I've just decided I won't dedicate any brain space to understanding how any of it works and that's fine. I show up at my island every few days, my animals are miserable, I queue up about 3-4 crafts based on what I already have materials for that has high ish demand right now and then I leave.

My groove is always zero I do not know how groove works and I do not care to find out.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

RME posted:

Alternatively, they just edited the preset directly somehow.

Third party tools do not let you place waymarks in combat, that's a game limitation. The plug-in that lets you store 5 presets per fight instead of in total and import/export markers to text also lets you edit the actual coordinates in the saved presets, mostly as a side-effect.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
got the 17k cowrie achievement today at 17158. thought I was supposed to get like 20k according to the spreadsheet but I probably hosed something up.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I only use waymarks to spell C1D in Castrum.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

derra posted:

workshop stuff

Thanks, that's pretty helpful. It does make the ideal workshop rotation more complicated though if you're trying to maximize the peak days of even filler items and trying to make combos out of them.

Also, if you're making all five of the big money crafts in a week (possible if unlikely), you'll start running through rare mats faster than the granaries can obtain them. Even making just four in a week can make the rare mat logistics kind of fiddly if you aren't really careful with them.

And full disclosure, I still had a nearly 20k week using the previous "build groove the first two days, plan the next three based on Insufficient+Skyrocketing tags" method, so if anybody is just shooting to get that title you can still definitely do it while just sticking to a simpler routine.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Offkorn posted:

i've been pfing savage for just about all of endwalker, so i can say with confidence that there's a good amount of players that just completely shut down mentally for spread mechanics if they don't have a waymark to beeline towards. the "hidden information" in this case is basically the the size of player-based aoes while outside the bounds of the original area

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Mainwaring posted:

Island sanctuary craft optimisation is one of those in game things where I've just decided I won't dedicate any brain space to understanding how any of it works and that's fine. I show up at my island every few days, my animals are miserable, I queue up about 3-4 crafts based on what I already have materials for that has high ish demand right now and then I leave.

My groove is always zero I do not know how groove works and I do not care to find out.

your islands groove may be zero but based on this post i'd say the groove in your heart and soul is maxed out

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The spreadsheet is real useful but it has the occassional error until it updates, and also even with the new thing that tells you when items peak it's hard to tell which items that peak combo to get groove and money. I'm currently paralyzed on what to make on D2, and not even sure if to just rest (because I loving forgot to plant isleberries so I can't combo Tomat->Isleberry...)

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Thanks, that's pretty helpful. It does make the ideal workshop rotation more complicated though if you're trying to maximize the peak days of even filler items and trying to make combos out of them.

Also, if you're making all five of the big money crafts in a week (possible if unlikely), you'll start running through rare mats faster than the granaries can obtain them. Even making just four in a week can make the rare mat logistics kind of fiddly if you aren't really careful with them.

And full disclosure, I still had a nearly 20k week using the previous "build groove the first two days, plan the next three based on Insufficient+Skyrocketing tags" method, so if anybody is just shooting to get that title you can still definitely do it while just sticking to a simpler routine.

Big item doesn't always mean granary mat, I compare popularity weighted cowries per hour. This week, for example, scale fingers and crook are on top of the list.

I'm gonna try Tomato Relish -> Butter-> Isleberry Jam -> Butter -> Jam for tomorrow. All 3 are having peaks of one sort or another. Butter has only a weak peak, but its' high popularity pushes it over relish anyway. We'll also get 12 groove which isn't bad at all.

For curiosity, I checked the spreadsheet and they're running (Sauerkraut -> Corn Flakes) x3? Putting that on my sheet, I'm not seeing the cowries they see even ignoring that you might get a supply hit at the end of the day. If someone is running that, can they verify it's accurate tomorrow (3090 if you're running in all 3)?

derra fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 13, 2022

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

So just to be clear: is the idea w/ groove building just “spend your first day chaining the most valuable 4-hour crafts you can”?

A more specific reason you want to do it this way is that on Day 3 you can predict Day 4 with 100% accuracy, and on Day 4 you can predict the rest of the week with 100% accuracy. Groove builders tend to be easy on the rare mats and grown stuff, so you can use Day 2 and Day 3 to hit 30/35 groove (you rested Day 1 because you can't predict it at all) and stockpile rare/farm mats for the rest of the week. At that point, if you've been keeping track, you know exactly what to craft on each day to hit that day's peak.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Sauerkraut -> Corn Flakes x3 seems like it'd be the best; Squid Ink -> Tomato Relish x3 might be almost as good, but Squid Ink has a high popularity this week so I'll avoid contaminating the supply on that one in case it peaks day 3.

I'll have to get some more rock salt though, ugh.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Grayshift posted:

Sauerkraut -> Corn Flakes x3 seems like it'd be the best; Squid Ink -> Tomato Relish x3 might be almost as good, but Squid Ink has a high popularity this week so I'll avoid contaminating the supply on that one in case it peaks day 3.

I'll have to get some more rock salt though, ugh.

No. You have to alternate. You can't get the groove bonus from SK > CF > CF > CF because groove builds off the number of efficiency bonuses you trigger.

edit: i am the idiot

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 13, 2022

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Pretty sure he means (Sauerkraut -> Corn Flakes) x3.

Please if someone runs that can you tell me how many cowries you end up getting? The spreadsheet is showing that way higher than I'm calculating it myself (corn flakes and jam are essentially tied per hour, but butter and relish are blowing out sauerkraut today) and I don't know if I have a major mistake in my calculations. Thanks!

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Just follow the recommendation channel in the discord imo, it updates everyday to the optimal choice for that day.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Sauerkraut and corn flakes? Blech.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

banned for using waymarks to illegally spell out "dicbag"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Algid posted:

Just follow the recommendation channel in the discord imo, it updates everyday to the optimal choice for that day.

That supposes a small problem for people who don't want to join 50 discords, that poo poo is cancerous just loving post it somewhere else.