Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah I think it'll only last a few weeks. We have 14 rostered skaters and our ice times are rank rear end so it should be easy to trim the regular attendance down by just not inviting subs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I wouldn’t consider switching to Sparx lucky but I both sharpen my own skates with a blackstone sharpener at home and also can go 6mo+ without sharpening if I need to

All I’m saying is if you get a Sparx sharpening and you don’t like it or it feels weird it may not be you.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We run 10 skaters a side at our shinny. I'd way, way rather play with 8 skaters than 12. I didn't drag myself off the couch just to sit on a bench and watch other people play hockey.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I can't justify the cost of Sparx unless you're either planning a sharpening side-business or you have 10 children who all play hockey

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

prom candy posted:

We run 10 skaters a side at our shinny. I'd way, way rather play with 8 skaters than 12. I didn't drag myself off the couch just to sit on a bench and watch other people play hockey.

People seem to play better when numbers are down too. Whether it's because they're tired and pick their battles better or less time on the bench keeps them in tune with the pace isn't clear to me, but it works.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

RC Cola posted:

How did your league go? How did you go? This was your first time playing in a league too? Did you know anyone? I'm mostly nervous about not knowing anyone

LOLOLOL we're 1-9-1. Heh. Playoffs are Friday night. This was indeed my first league. I signed up because another goalie I went to camp with told me to just do it already. She was the only person I even kinda knew but I didn't know anyone on my team at the start. So I went to check it out one Friday and I realized I did not have to be "OMG SO VERY AWESOME ALL THE SAVES!" I save more than I let in and I'm noticeably better than when I started. So I'm happy and ready to keep getting better.

You'll be fine even not knowing anyone because you'll get to know them pretty quickly. :)

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I can't justify the cost of Sparx unless you're either planning a sharpening side-business or you have 10 children who all play hockey

I went that route because the pro shop at the rink was so bad it was unreal. I was shipping out my blades to be sharpened that it got costly fast. I end up sharpening my teams stuff during tournaments.

I know a few people who had trouble getting proper sharpenings from theirs but turns out they didn't set it up perfectly. I'm anal so I check everything every time I sharpen.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm lucky enough to live in a big hockey city, so there are lots of good options for sharpening. It's $5 per sharpening and I probably get mine sharpened every 2 months, so I'd need to be playing hockey until I'm like 70 before I'd make up the cost of a Sparx.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The Sparx fall out of alignment and if you don’t check it, you won’t notice until you’re out there with a bad sharpening. They may have fixed this idk

I found a mistaken listing on eBay this Blackstone and got it for a song. Plus I can do FBV as well as regular hollow so I’m happy about that.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 13, 2022

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
It finally happened after 30 years of off and on playing hockey. Took a puck to the face last night. I’ve been playing drop in roller hockey and decided to take off my cage two weeks ago because the rink was too hot for safety. Luckily speed pucks are half the weight of an ice puck so instead of a broken orbital bone and nose I’ve just got a mouse under my eye and a small cut on the bridge of my nose. Not worth it, putting the cage back on next week.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm lucky enough to live in a big hockey city, so there are lots of good options for sharpening. It's $5 per sharpening and I probably get mine sharpened every 2 months, so I'd need to be playing hockey until I'm like 70 before I'd make up the cost of a Sparx.

I wish I lived in a big hockey town. I think the closest real store is about 2 hours away. I've been happy with mine and know it's not for everyone. Since my daughter is interested in skating, I'm sure she'll get use out of it as well.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Our team would rather play with 12 than 8 because we are old and have no gas in our tank.

11 is fun for us because we have 3 really good, hard skating Centres.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
We lost 4-8. We have 10 skaters and a goalie, they had 17 + goalie. Also half my team was new, half was from last season. Also they had a ringer. The guy blew past everyone over and over effortlessly.

It was very fun but holy cow do I need to get better at skating.

I was told I'm tenacious like a badger and to keep fighting for pucks along the boards like I was. So that felt good.

I was playing wing. I've only played defense before so my positioning sucked. Also my legs are dead but my lungs were fine all game. I guess I need to lift.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
10 + goalie is ideal. 17 is more than I've ever heard of, jesus.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
17 is insane

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Did they even have enough bench space for people to sit? Those games crack me up when the one dude who just got off the ice is standing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Don’t overthink it. Sounds like you had a nice first game. Congrats and welcome!!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
17 skaters should be illegal, hopefully those guys all enjoyed their 6 minutes of ice time

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

4 minutes for most of them probably, I guarantee they had a few guys that were taking 2+ minute shifts.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

10 is the perfect number of skaters, 11-14 is acceptable, 17 is see you guys next week.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yeah 10 is best. 12-13 is the absolute most I'd want. As a defenseman, I hate having more than 4 defensemen. That's just too much for beer league hockey. 3 forward lines and 4 d is the most I'd wanna run. 3 forward lines is more acceptable than 6 d because forwards have more skating to do and therefore get tired more easily.

Can't even imagine 17. No way I'd play on a team like that lol. That's absurd

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

. 3 forward lines is more acceptable than 6 d because forwards have more skating to do and therefore get tired more easily.

You try tellin them that

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Yesterday was my literal first time playing forward in anything. I'm usually defense in soccer or any other team sport, and all of my hockey practicing has been defense. So playing forward really tired me out and I was out of position a lot, which is probably why I was so tired since I kept sprinting everywhere to try to be in position.

Should I do a stick and puck today, or a public skate to give my poor weak fingers and forearms and back a day of rest?

Anyways ya'll were right and hockey is extremely fun. Honestly we did pretty well although I felt like an anchor on the team. 4 of our 10 skaters were new to the team. One of the new guys played D and hadn't skated in 10 years, was extremely out of shape (20 second shifts) and also the blade was falling off his skates. 2 of the new people were me and another guy from the same learn to play hockey class. The last new guy was decent though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

You try tellin them that

Honestly usually isn't a problem on any team I've been on. Most people don't want to play d in beer league. People who grew up playing d want to gently caress around on forward and people who grew up playing forward want to keep playing forward because they wanna score goals.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

Honestly usually isn't a problem on any team I've been on. Most people don't want to play d in beer league. People who grew up playing d want to gently caress around on forward and people who grew up playing forward want to keep playing forward because they wanna score goals.

I am the perfect storm of new and wanting to play d. I just need to suck less first. I hate that none of you live in Denver so I can bully you into skating with me and helping me get better at D

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

Mine was a “forwards don’t back check hard and thus don’t skate hard” shitpost

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

We had 8 skaters once and decided to run 3 D, 2 C, and then I was one of the lucky 3 wingers who had to rotate into 2 spots. Would not recommend.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

Mine was a “forwards don’t back check hard and thus don’t skate hard” shitpost

ah well yeah that is definitely a thing too.

I'm fully capable of doing the same on d though. I'll rush a puck up and then get too gassed to back check after I fail to score.

RC Cola posted:

I am the perfect storm of new and wanting to play d. I just need to suck less first. I hate that none of you live in Denver so I can bully you into skating with me and helping me get better at D

Long as you're having fun, that's the main thing. Hockey rules

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Ginette Reno posted:

I play forward because my backwards skating skills are laughably bad, but I'm in decent enough physical shape to where I can outhustle a lot of the other old farts in my league. :colbert:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

We had 8 skaters once and decided to run 3 D, 2 C, and then I was one of the lucky 3 wingers who had to rotate into 2 spots. Would not recommend.

We usually run 8 as 3, D then drop-in style for the 5 forwards. The best is when you are the first to go for a change, then the other 2 come off 7 seconds later and want you to go back on.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

We usually run 8 as 3, D then drop-in style for the 5 forwards.

That's how my team normally does it, but I think the captain was upset with inconsistent center play, so he changed it to make it way harder for the wingers. :smith:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

We usually run 8 as 3, D then drop-in style for the 5 forwards. The best is when you are the first to go for a change, then the other 2 come off 7 seconds later and want you to go back on.

Yeah this is the only correct way to run 8 skaters imo. We do it fairly often, it's not bad as long as everyone is in decent shape.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
5: gently caress it, you decided to iron man it. You made your bed.
6: As above, but everyone gets to sit on the bench for 3 seconds every 8 minutes as four exhausted people try to change at once.
7: Doable. 3D and roll forwards.
8: 3D and either: roll forwards, or 2 centers and roll wings
9: 3D and two forward lines
10: PERFECTION
11: 4D, 3 centers, 2 wing pairs
12: 4D, 2 centers, 3 wing pairs
13: 4D, 3 forward lines
14: I have no idea. 5D? Ugh. 4 centers? Gross.
15: Even worse than 14.
16: No.
17: I believed this to be a myth until this week.

For the teams I run, if I can't get at least 5 from my own team to show up, I'll consider a forfeit. I won't sub beyond 10 skaters in situations where we can pull in league subs.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

RC Cola posted:

Also at learn to play I feel like I panic turned over the puck a lot. Like I'd get it and 2 guys would be charging at me and I'd just dump the puck down the boards to get it out of our zone, and sometimes their guy would keep it in. Not a feel good.

This is absolutely a beginner thing. I try to remind myself that I’m not paying to dump the puck, to not make mistakes, or even to win, so try to do something real with the puck and if you gently caress up, who gives a poo poo, you get a little better for trying and none of it matters anyway.

10 is best. Anything over ten and my first move is to try to convince the D to run 5 and it never works.

E: also, especially at the beginner level, if you have two guys charging at you and you can protect the puck or poke it just past them as they arrive, congrats you’ve just gained basically an eternity to make a play while they figure out how to stop and turn around. Every lovely forechecker is planning on doing a driveby so if you can figure out how to keep the puck while they cruise on past you’ll look pretty good.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 15, 2022

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

not paying to dump the puck is a new one, I gotta say

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I managed to start playing hockey last spring, and it's been a big change from playing soccer for a long time. It's taken until about now to not feel completely slow and completely worthless on the ice. And until about a month ago for the muscle groups to get used to being used differently. About the best thing the Kraken have done so far is unify the adult leagues and run adult learn to play programs on a schedule. Also, they do take good care of their ice. Playing on a low tier team this winter with a bunch of other hockey parents, so it should be great fun.

Also, very unsurprised to see a lot of the same names from the NHL thread.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

sellouts posted:

not paying to dump the puck is a new one, I gotta say

Selfish hockey boys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA5kVB8QIyE

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Jhet posted:

I managed to start playing hockey last spring, and it's been a big change from playing soccer for a long time. It's taken until about now to not feel completely slow and completely worthless on the ice. And until about a month ago for the muscle groups to get used to being used differently. About the best thing the Kraken have done so far is unify the adult leagues and run adult learn to play programs on a schedule. Also, they do take good care of their ice. Playing on a low tier team this winter with a bunch of other hockey parents, so it should be great fun.

Also, very unsurprised to see a lot of the same names from the NHL thread.

Hey! I'm glad there is another noobie in the thread!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RC Cola posted:

Hey! I'm glad there is another noobie in the thread!

Yeah, my kid made me do it. He's still way better than me. It's super fun and I've been doing novice/beginner drop in this summer. I'm no longer completely out of place and can actually receive a pass and either turn up ice or pass it again. I'm also really good at hitting the edges of the shooter tutors when there's not a goalie. What I'm saying is I'm not great at scoring. Most everyone here is really understanding about skill levels as long as you're honest with yourself and are working to play the game. I'm sure regular season adult league will have some try hards, but so does beer league softball.

But yay for fun and being bad. I'm almost down to my old pre-kids in the house weight when exercise was a thing that didn't have to be fit into a full schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Jhet posted:

About the best thing the Kraken have done so far is unify the adult leagues and run adult learn to play programs on a schedule.

5/3 Arena is run by the Blackhawks and they run a tight ship with actual decent online support. It's also by far the best ice in the city. The building was finished in 2017 and has 2 full sheets of ice. More importantly, it has a bar that's open until 2am every night.