Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Now ask about Esquire, Scrivener, Counselor and Solicitor

ok yes tell us about those please

then we can talk about star chamber
and also whatever they called priests who conducted legal trials under church law, like the quakers used to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
We have tribal trials up here that use village elders in the place of lawyers.

Good in theory, not so good in practice.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

scriveners are best known for making errors

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

euphronius posted:

A lawyer is anyone with a JD
An attorney is a licensed lawyer who is allowed to represent people as a attorney-at-law (distinct from an attorney-in-fact) in the local courts

Attorney comes from the old Law French which means something like “person assigned or appointed (to represent)”

I suppose technically we only regulate unauthorized practice of law, and not just “calling yourself a lawyer or attorney but never offering legal advice”, but I sure would look askance at a JD calling themselves a lawyer without passing the bar exam.

Anyway, I guess by your definitions, I’m an attorney but not a lawyer?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

huh. What is the difference in whatever country you're in?

Norway, which practices a different type of legal system from common law usually called scandinavian tradition law, has jurists and advocates.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_law

Jurist (kinda the same as lawyer) is a 5-year master, used to be a 6 year cand.mag. It's a qualification, but doesn't allow you to practice law in the sense of having clients, giving formal legal advice or appearing before courts. You're basically a case worker.

Advocate is a license, it currently takes two years of training (working as a assistant attorney, prosecutor or judge (3 years)), a number of court appearances, a mandatory training course equivalent to about 6 months university education, and a bar exam.

Then you apply for a license and get it if you pass the background checks.

Then you can appear before any court except the supreme court.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Tunicate posted:

scriveners are best known for making errors

I would prefer not to, actually

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
There’s a fella in town whose business carries the sign “[NAME HERE], CJS, Appeals Research & Associates, Jurisprudence Complexities, Advocate for the Defense.”

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Lawyer and attorney are different in that attorney is a thing that my clients from other countries sometimes call me and it sounds weird and I don't like it, whereas lawyer is my job. Now barrister and solicitor, that's a different can of worms.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Muir posted:

Anyway, I guess by your definitions, I’m an attorney but not a lawyer?

What do you do and where do you do it?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have developed this visual aide to help understanding on the issue:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Organza Quiz posted:

Lawyer and attorney are different in that attorney is a thing that my clients from other countries sometimes call me and it sounds weird and I don't like it, whereas lawyer is my job. Now barrister and solicitor, that's a different can of worms.

Barrister makes yer a coffee, a solicitizen is a free man on the land, travelling.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
In FL, lawyer means someone who is an active member of the bar. There is no distinction between attorney and lawyer. If you simply have a JD in Fl, you are neither and should not hold yourself out as either. The most I can say is I’m an unlicensed attorney or former lawyer. I cannot call myself either since I left the practice and my license is no longer active.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

In theory there’s a distinction between the two in the US, but in practice they’re used interchangeably.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

euphronius posted:

What do you do and where do you do it?

I am a patent attorney in the United States. I am a member of the California bar but did not go to law school. California and three other states (Washington, Vermont, Virginia) still have pure apprenticeship routes to becoming eligible for the bar examination. In California it’s called law office study (https://www.calbar.ca.gov/Admissions/Requirements/Education/Legal-Education/Law-Office-or-Judges-Chamber). So in those four states at least, the Venn diagram isn’t entirely accurate.

More broadly, I agree with the above couple of posters that whatever technical distinction there may have been, attorney and lawyer now mean “licensed member of the bar” interchangeably. I know several JDs who aren’t members of the bar and none of them would think to call themselves lawyers.

Muir fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 12, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok you are a very edge case .

You still studied law tho in a formal, tho antiquated, manner tho and that is enough to be a lawyer.

So I will rephrase for you: A lawyer is anyone with a JD (or a JD equivalent though antiquated practices recognized in some jurisdictions)

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 12, 2022

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

euphronius posted:

I have developed this visual aide to help understanding on the issue:

Please add Tree Law, Tree Lawyers, and the Lorax to this visual aide

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Foxfire_ posted:

Please add Tree Law, Tree Lawyers, and the Lorax to this visual aide

But the real question here is: is a Tree Lawyer anything like a Lawyer Dog?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Organza Quiz posted:

Does the US actually have anything equivalent to solicitors, i.e. people who can do every kind of lawyerish work except for actually representing people in court?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Thuryl posted:

Does the US actually have anything equivalent to solicitors, i.e. people who can do every kind of lawyerish work except for actually representing people in court?

Nope. We have plenty of lawyers who, *in practice*, operate in this way, but no official status for it - they could still in theory represent folks in court, they just don’t want to/aren’t good at it/etc.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Thuryl posted:

Depending on the state, there's a lot of legal work that can be done by paralegals, but I'm sure that's also the case in the commonwealth.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

Depending on the state, there's a lot of legal work that can be done by paralegals, but I'm sure that's also the case in the commonwealth.

But not under their own auspices, still under the umbrella of a licensed attorney. There are some explorations and maybe even pilot programs looking at letting paralegals provide certain services directly, like the expansion of the roles of nurses and physicians’ assistants, but nothing more than that yet AFAIK.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Kalman posted:

Nope. We have plenty of lawyers who, *in practice*, operate in this way, but no official status for it - they could still in theory represent folks in court, they just don’t want to/aren’t good at it/etc.

Interestingly in my jurisdiction all lawyers are admitted as both solicitor and barrister automatically, so it's basically the same where every lawyer is allowed to represent people in court but some simply choose not to.

Except then we still have the separate concept of a barrister as someone who takes a special oath, practices alone, is only allowed to turn down cases in specific circumstances etc. so I am technically a barrister but I would never call myself that because I'm not that kind of barrister.
It's weird.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Muir posted:

I am a patent attorney in the United States. I am a member of the California bar but did not go to law school. California and three other states (Washington, Vermont, Virginia) still have pure apprenticeship routes to becoming eligible for the bar examination. In California it’s called law office study (https://www.calbar.ca.gov/Admissions/Requirements/Education/Legal-Education/Law-Office-or-Judges-Chamber). So in those four states at least, the Venn diagram isn’t entirely accurate.

More broadly, I agree with the above couple of posters that whatever technical distinction there may have been, attorney and lawyer now mean “licensed member of the bar” interchangeably. I know several JDs who aren’t members of the bar and none of them would think to call themselves lawyers.

Are you one of the weirdos who gets a graduate degree in a STEM field and then becomes a patent troll

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
I'm a lawyer but not a legal practitioner, which is the difference in my jurisdiction between "graduated law school, was admitted" and "can also actually represent clients in court".

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Are you one of the weirdos who gets a graduate degree in a STEM field and then becomes a patent troll

I and almost every patent attorney I know followed the trajectory of:
1. Get a Ph.D.
2. Realize you don’t want to stay doing research
3. Find out about this patent law thing
4. Get hired at a law firm and learn patent law
5. Pass the patent bar and become a patent agent
6. Go to law school (or be weird like me and don’t go to law school, but I don’t know anyone else who did that)
7. Be a patent attorney

Not sure what you mean about being a patent troll. I’ve only worked in big law and in biotech startups, so unless you consider all patent holders to be trolls, then no.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Muir posted:

Not sure what you mean about being a patent troll. I’ve only worked in big law and in biotech startups, so unless you consider all patent holders to be trolls, then no.

im just being glib and making the same crack I do to everyone who does the PhD-JD thing

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

im just being glib and making the same crack I do to everyone who does the PhD-JD thing

Gotcha. Then yes!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Muir posted:

But not under their own auspices, still under the umbrella of a licensed attorney. There are some explorations and maybe even pilot programs looking at letting paralegals provide certain services directly, like the expansion of the roles of nurses and physicians’ assistants, but nothing more than that yet AFAIK.

Are the number of lawyers minted per year artificially constrained like the ama does for physicians?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is no absolute gate in the number of new lawyers per year. It is gated by privilege and other pressures . More so recently

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Azuth0667 posted:

Are the number of lawyers minted per year artificially constrained like the ama does for physicians?

No so there's a booming business in terrible law schools that produce nearly unemployable graduates.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

evilweasel posted:

No so there's a booming business in terrible law schools that produce nearly unemployable graduates.

You can always spot the Harvard Law grad

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

Lawyer's guild is not powerful enough to do this, in part because the very senior members (partners) benefit from having cheap labor whereas senior doctors just get more senior, but not an ownership stake in the hospital.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Azuth0667 posted:

the ABA got sued for antitrust for trying this

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Could you imagine if the ABA had the power of the AMA?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

evilweasel posted:

Hence the distinction between the T14(?) And everything else?

With the amount the AMA cries I am surprised how powerful they are.

E: wasn't physician ownership of a hospital done away with when hipaa happened?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
many surgeons own stakes in what might as well be a hospital, usually called surgery centers and located in a building full of other doctors and poo poo

i assume hospital has some statutory definition and there are limits on it, i.e., https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Fraud-and-Abuse/PhysicianSelfReferral/Physician_Owned_Hospitals

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Physicians definitely often own the businesses they work for and the buildings they work in. What more you need to be a "hospital" is beyond my interest.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Physicians definitely often own the businesses they work for and the buildings they work in.

Not really, they often run a practice out of a hospital but even then they are often not even employed by the hospital. ER physicians being a common exception, in that they are sometimes employed directly by the hospital (but not always, and maybe not even most of the time?). What you’re probably thinking of would simply be a clinic.

I guess think of the hospital more as a medical mall…

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 14, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The capital difference between owning a hospital and law firm are pretty stark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Bad Munki posted:

Not really, they often run a practice out of a hospital but even then they are often not even employed by the hospital. ER physicians being a common exception, in that they are sometimes employed directly by the hospital (but not always, and maybe not even most of the time?). What you’re probably thinking of would simply be a clinic.

I guess think of the hospital more as a medical mall…

I think that’s his point. They own their practices and the buildings those practices are in, they’re often not employees of hospitals (they just have privileges).

But many doctors (especially surgeons) also own imaging centers and surgery centers where they make money off of the hospital charges in addition to their services.