Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I had some really hosed up fever dreams the night I got my vaccine.

hosed up dream:
I was chatting with some woman on zoom and then all the sudden she starts sucking off a cow. I'm like "wtf are you doing" but she just keeps going, making bj gagging noises.
Then I wake up and my cat is making those same noises as she's about to barf on the blanket.

Weird poo poo, but feel fine now. My arm's still red around the injection site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I AM GRANDO posted:

This is a stupid question, but is there any correlation between side effects of a vaccination and how effective they are? Like, if I don’t feel any effects, my chance of getting sick is greater?

Nope.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Wayne Knight posted:

I had some really hosed up fever dreams the night I got my vaccine.

hosed up dream:
I was chatting with some woman on zoom and then all the sudden she starts sucking off a cow. I'm like "wtf are you doing" but she just keeps going, making bj gagging noises.
Then I wake up and my cat is making those same noises as she's about to barf on the blanket.

Weird poo poo, but feel fine now. My arm's still red around the injection site.

get more vaxes, post more trip reports

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The Oldest Man posted:

I don't wear it much anymore, but I own one of these guys: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000154017/ It has a little lever that pops the mask off your face to your chin without undoing any of the straps. Yank the lever back down and it zoops back up onto your face.

Uglycat posted:

Get the 650X-QL. The "quick latch." You'll loving love it. I have a 6000 with the MasterVlad mod, a Secure Clique, and a QL.

QL I'd my go-to. So easy (and fast) to don/doff without stretching the elastic or tearing the cradle plastic. I work in a kitchen, and have to be tasting things all day. The QL has kept me safe so far.

Thanks for the suggestion, it was exactly what I was looking for.

Finished up my 3rd ride with a Quicklatch. It's been excellent. I can fuel more often when I don't have to worry about how long it takes to get an Aura back in place. Did 5 hours on the bike today, and the last time I did that, my Aura was literally falling apart by the end from the abuse. This time, the mask performed great. The latching is easy enough that I could drop it down on clear sections of climbs with out worrying about how long it takes to get back in place if someone starts coming downhill towards me.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Uglycat posted:

get more vaxes, post more trip reports

:hmmyes:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I got through the day after my recent Moderna booster pretty well (just tiredness, fever, and aches and pains), but right now a couple days after I’m left with a terrible headache. I haven’t had this symptom with my other shots and it could be coincidental, but it hurts like a bitch. Goes away temporarily with ibuprofen or caffeine though.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
Welp, COVID has finally hit our household. My SO was out of town for a work trip, got back on Sunday. I picked her up from the airport, and she got an exposure notification. Got her home, she tested positive.

We spent the rest of the day trying to figure out what to do, and how we were going to manage. Hotel would have cost a shitload for an extended period of time, and potentially exposed folks who work there, so we landed on isolating her in the upstairs, where our bedroom is, and a second bedroom where she's set up her office for working from home. I packed up all my stuff that I thought I'd need and hauled it downstairs. I'm sleeping on the couch, and I've got a half-bath adjacent to the downstairs bedroom where I set up my work from home office.

I bring her meals up and set them on her desk while she's in the bedroom, then when she's done, she texts me and I come grab the dishes with gloves on, then bring them downstairs to immediately wash. When she needs more ice for water, I set out a bowl of ice out on the kitchen counter, and toggle the water/ice machine on the fridge to water, so she can run downstairs with a mask on and get a refill without touching anything other than the bowl. I started using FaceTime (used it like four or five times yesterday) to talk to her, cause I was already missing her like crazy while she was out of town.

It's only been a couple of days so far, but I think it's a workable solution. I'm encouraging her to get out and take walks, because even though she's got plenty of room upstairs, a television, laptop, and pretty much everything else she'd need, if she's in that situation for potentially a couple of weeks, it would still get pretty stale pretty quick. I feel pretty lucky in that we don't have any kids, and we're in a townhome where we do have a decent amount of space to separate effectively. I can't imagine how difficult it's been for folks who do have kids, or more than one person they cohabitate with, in much less space.

Any advice from goons that have gone through similar situations? Any routines or things you got into that helped you navigate cohabitating where one person has COVID and the other (I haven't tested positive yet, but it's still early on) doesn't?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

generic one posted:

Any advice from goons that have gone through similar situations? Any routines or things you got into that helped you navigate cohabitating where one person has COVID and the other (I haven't tested positive yet, but it's still early on) doesn't?

For us, just masking in public areas with a good mask (FFP2) and eating outside have kept covid from moving any further than the initial two. My husband sleeps in another room, kids have their own rooms. We share a small home office. I had a filter running in the bathroom shared by the kids (this one they were on sale for 99 bucks during Prime Day) and another in my bathroom and then we made a corsi cube which runs 24/7 first in my daughter's room then mine with door closed to try and stop any infectious particles at the source. Fomites do not seem to have been an issue at all. Husband and uninfected kid were vaccinated last week with the omicron booster, patient 0 kid recovered last week and has consistently tested negative. I'm still testing positive and have post nasal drip and a slight cough so we're still masking in shared spaces just to be safe until I test negative again or its T+2wks since the booster.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 13, 2022

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

generic one posted:

When my partner got it I just figured I'd get it too, but we live in a small apartment with no spare rooms to even try to do what you're doing. So we just didn't bother trying to avoid it at all. I didn't catch it from her, which goes to show how weird the thing is.

Anyway, I'm flying today and yeah dang nobody wears masks anymore. Maybe 1 in 20? Since I just got my omicron booster I'm feeling fine about it, though.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

How are u posted:

When my partner got it I just figured I'd get it too, but we live in a small apartment with no spare rooms to even try to do what you're doing. So we just didn't bother trying to avoid it at all. I didn't catch it from her, which goes to show how weird the thing is.

I caught it in April of this year, and only ended up passing it on to my unvaccinated mom. My 74-year-old dad and younger brother (who were both vaccinated and boosted, too) developed no symptoms and never tested positive on a RAT. None of us ever isolated. Even when I said I should and was willing to, they insisted I didn't have to worry about it.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Guys the bivalent booster wrecked me. I figured the 4th shot would get easier but NOPE.

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

Flowers are beautiful, and smell nice.
When Covid hit my household, we did pretty much the same, generic one, with the addition of three corsi cubes we built. We put one of them right at the base of the stairs, the dividing line between the 'sick' and 'not sick' territories, and had a second one running constantly a bit deeper into the not-sick area. The third one lived in the sick area.

When we had to cross the borderline (like when you bring food up to your wife or retrieve the dishes), we'd always mask up with N95 or better, and we'd also time it so that there was a gap in between the sick person vacating the area and the well person entering. We'd be sure to run the third filtration device during that gap time. Frex: the sick person would turn on the corsi cube in their bedroom and then leave the house for a walk outside; well person would wait 15 minutes or so before going in to get dishes, then text sick person that it was now okay to come home. Of course, if your wife is really feeling sick, that's not as doable -- we were fortunate in that none of our sick housemates ever felt really bad, so they were perfectly happy to leave the house for periods of time to take a walk or just sit in the garden outside.

Anyway, we must have done something right, or just been very lucky -- or most likely both -- because none of our covid-free people got sick. I attribute it to the masking + corsi cubes combo.

ETA: Oh, and we also kept windows open and kept the house well-ventilated with window fans. Obviously, this is pretty dependent on climate. June in Portland OR is a pretty ideal time and place for this approach: if you live somewhere with brutally hot summers or viciously cold winters, then obviously that will affect your willingness or ability to keep the windows open and constantly fan in fresh air.

Lychnis fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 14, 2022

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Summit posted:

Guys the bivalent booster wrecked me. I figured the 4th shot would get easier but NOPE.

Yeah same here, the boneitis kicked in even faster (it took about a day the first time, 4 hours later this time), and the fever hit me real hard the following night.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Got my omicron booster today. Arm sore but not feeling nearly as tired as the last three shots made me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
How do you know which type of booster you're scheduling? At CVS it doesn't seem to specify, or is the new booster the only kind out there?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

How do you know which type of booster you're scheduling? At CVS it doesn't seem to specify, or is the new booster the only kind out there?

Safeway’s website calls it the “updated” booster. I think they also replaced the OG booster with the updated one.

Got mine yesterday and feel like garbage today. 4/4 on getting rocked by Pfizer.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

In Europe the EMA (like the FDA for EU) has approved the BA.1/2 updated booster but not the BA.4/5 yet. :pwn:

Holding out for the 4/5. My age group isn't up yet anyway.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Dick Trauma posted:

Authorization for the OG booster was removed when the Bivalent booster was approved, so at least in theory no one should be giving the old one anymore

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

So is anyone treating this new shot as an excuse to ease up on their own personal level of caution? 2.5 years of not dining indoors has made me want to dehumanize myself and face to bloodshed.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Zapf Dingbat posted:

So is anyone treating this new shot as an excuse to ease up on their own personal level of caution? 2.5 years of not dining indoors has made me want to dehumanize myself and face to bloodshed.

I'm getting my omicron booster next week (third booster total) and I'm going to have to take a plane with several layovers for unavoidable family reasons next month. Still plan to be masked everywhere publicly, but this will be the first time I've eased up on effectively being quarantined in 2.5 years.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Is there any data on the effectiveness of the new boosters VS. the original shots that came out before the new variants appeared as far as how likely you are to not actual catch the virus or be 'subclinical' to the point where you aren't infecting other people?

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I've got mine, but even after my wife gets it (hopefully my two kids under 12 aren't left out for too long this time), I doubt we'll be changing anything until we see some extremely promising real world data. And maybe not even then. We barely made any changes in that nice period last spring/summer when vaccines had put a huge dent in numbers but Delta hadn't kicked in yet.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I eased off months ago, feels good

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

If you haven’t set foot in a restaurant in the last 2.5 years then I don’t think the updated booster is going to make you feel any better about doing it now.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPpAtOaj818

tl,dw: The end is in sight for the pandemic, says the WHO.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPpAtOaj818

tl,dw: The end is in sight for the pandemic, says the WHO.

The WHO is saying that? Uh oh…

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Yeah restaurant dining at this point should not be a hang up if you know the restaurant's layout. We had avoided going to our fave sushi spot for so long. But we've been going back for a while now. They just didn't seat people at the sushi bar for the longest time. And we ate at an Italian place the other night that had kept the front door open. And I think their table layout was not different from pre-lockdown, which was spaced a good distance from every other booth or table.

Save for hearing a dodgy cough or sneeze once in awhile, the current public crowd I am finding myself around at the store seems fairly safe. It's really trusting your friends and family trying to invite you out. I constantly heard people tell me over the last two years that they caught it from someone who thought they just had a little bug, nothing to worry about. My in-laws all got it going out to dinner with old neighbors while they were visiting. Co-worker went to a baby shower, someone came that should have known better. A different co-worker went to a group dinner before a football game. A third co-worker was going to large church mass. Each event had a "friend" that didn't think they had it, that it was "just a cold".

We just traveled to Europe in April. We did not catch it. We are going to the east coast next month. I still will mask up for the flight. Close proximity is the only time I worry and protect myself. If places are open air, or not full of sweaty drunks, then I feel safe with no mask. If workers are wearing a mask, I always have one on. Trader Joe's has been a terrible gauge for guidance though, it's like 80/20 with their employees not masking anymore. But most other retail workers are staying masked.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
For all the talk about asymptomatic spread, I'd honestly say that the far bigger issue is people either going out when they're ill (but they're totally pretty sure it's not COVID!) or being coerced to work/go to school while ill, which is more a reflection on the deplorable state of labour conditions than anything.

Our standard at work is and always has been: if you're ill, stay the gently caress at home. We've had no transmission despite several people getting COVID at separate times. I don't think it can be overstated just how thoroughly the pandemic has been sustained by abhorrent labour practices around the world.

I still wear a mask when it's convenient to do so, but I don't avoid restaurants.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Got covid after avoiding it for years. This sucks.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

blastron posted:

If you haven’t set foot in a restaurant in the last 2.5 years then I don’t think the updated booster is going to make you feel any better about doing it now.

Good thing setting foot inside a restaurant is totally unnecessary for living a fulfilling and rewarding life.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

The WHO is saying that? Uh oh…

Koos Group posted:

Not being clear with meaning of argument. (I.A.6 or II.B.2) User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

Which button do I press to probate you for "Not being clear with meaning of probation"?

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

PT6A posted:

For all the talk about asymptomatic spread, I'd honestly say that the far bigger issue is people either going out when they're ill (but they're totally pretty sure it's not COVID!) or being coerced to work/go to school while ill, which is more a reflection on the deplorable state of labour conditions than anything.

Our standard at work is and always has been: if you're ill, stay the gently caress at home. We've had no transmission despite several people getting COVID at separate times. I don't think it can be overstated just how thoroughly the pandemic has been sustained by abhorrent labour practices around the world.

I still wear a mask when it's convenient to do so, but I don't avoid restaurants.

At least anecdotally, a lot of the people I’ve known who screwed this up got a very minor case and were convinced it definitely wasn’t covid but rather just a cold/allergies/whatever. They carried on normally for several days until OOPS they went and got a test and it was covid all along. So it’s less fully asymptomatic people unknowingly spreading it and more people with extremely mild cases thinking “if I had covid I would know it” and making bad decisions.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Spacebump posted:

Got covid after avoiding it for years. This sucks.
Paxlovid, friend goon. It's very helpful.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
What can you tell me about Paxlovid? I've read a scattering of anecdotes related to effectiveness and side effects but haven't seen anything clinical.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dick Trauma posted:

What can you tell me about Paxlovid? I've read a scattering of anecdotes related to effectiveness and side effects but haven't seen anything clinical.
It does a drat good job at symptom management and speeding recovery. For me, I was effectively asymptomatic while covid positive, but I started on it just like hours after testing positive.

The main side effect is a wild, persistent, bad flavor that'll be in your mouth or the back of your throat for the whole time. It's like... Metallic? Bitter? Inhaler, penny, inside of a balloon... Description varies.

There's a chance of a rebound infection, which is always very mild, but during which you're still somewhat contagious.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

dwarf74 posted:

Paxlovid, friend goon. It's very helpful.

Walked into a clinic today, before seeing me they said they would only prescribe a cough suppressant. Called a CVS pharmacy, got transfered to a call center out of the US, the call center guy told me to call back and hit 1 then 7. This didn't work and I was unable to get a person from the pharmacy on the phone.

A friend sent me a link to plushcare.com. I had an appointment and prescription within 45 minutes. Hoping this does the trick.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 15, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
My wife caught covid after our vacation, and was feeling pretty miserable. She went to the doctor, they listened to her breathing, then prescribed her two medicines. Albuteral and something else.

Our loving insurance would not pay for the albuteral, so she called the doctor back and they reissued a prescription for a generic.

Again, the insurance would not pay for it, because they said 'it wasn't recognized as being an optimal treatment'. So she had to go without, and was coughing a lot and feeling miserable.

gently caress insurance.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Spacebump posted:

A friend sent me a link to plushcare.com. I had an appointment and prescription within 45 minutes. Hoping this does the trick.
I hope it helps you, friend goon. It was enormous for me.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Cimber posted:

My wife caught covid after our vacation, and was feeling pretty miserable. She went to the doctor, they listened to her breathing, then prescribed her two medicines. Albuteral and something else.

Our loving insurance would not pay for the albuteral, so she called the doctor back and they reissued a prescription for a generic.

Again, the insurance would not pay for it, because they said 'it wasn't recognized as being an optimal treatment'. So she had to go without, and was coughing a lot and feeling miserable.

gently caress insurance.

paxlovid will kill that cough in about 24 hours. No poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Oracle posted:

paxlovid will kill that cough in about 24 hours. No poo poo.

I had paxlovid and the cough remained throughout and lasted for 3 months. The brain fog cleared up in about 2.5 weeks. The fever stopped about 8 hours of dosing paxlovid.

First online doctor wouldn't prescribe it because I mentioned taking Viagra before sex (like once a week). They were apparently confused and thought this was the same as taking daily sildenafil for blood pressure. The next online doctor understood correctly and prescribed the pax.

droll fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 16, 2022