Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

zoux posted:

Mirage, which is actually I think the next one to release, has been touted as getting back to the classic style, though I don't think there's any gameplay out there. I like both the old- and new-school AC games, so ideally they'll put out stealthy classic ones and sprawling rpg-lite ones.
i guess i asked and got answered so that's not on you, but honestly

GreatGreen posted:

I'll believe the AssCreed news when I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

haldolium posted:

thats something completely different as your initial post though. I think the camera rig in Greedfall is comparably complex and has both vertical and horizontal adaptive movement dependend on character move direction. This is not a bad thing imo, its just not as well executed. Quite a few other third person games did this and I personally like it if the adaption is done well.

heres a mod adding proper FOV options and removing bobbing and other stuff: https://www.nexusmods.com/greedfall/mods/8?tab=description might want to check if that makes it better for you

The thing I'm pointing out in that post is exactly what I was also talking about in my first post about the subject. However to be fair I will add that a camera's rotational axis doesn't have to be in the direct center mass of the theoretical camera itself, it just has to be anywhere other than where the player's view is supposed to be centered. No matter how egregiously it is done, if it happens at all, it will cause nausea. It might not be literally as bad as the Blair Witch Project's camera, but it's still a huge problem and does fall under the same issue.

Thanks for the mod link though! I didn't know that existed. I might have to check out the game now. :)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I posted about it Friday, but the playtest this weekend for Moonbreaker just ended and I miss playing it already haha. It has a few problems that could fairly easily be changed/addressed, and the devs seem open to discussion on Discord. So I'm curious to see how my 1 issue with the Bridge system is iterated upon.

They're doing another playtest this coming weekend and then early access at the end of the month.

Really enjoyed the Painting tool/feature of it too, impressively powerful while being very easy to use.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i dont know what exactly is going on with the greedfall camera but that video made me very uncomfortable.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I wonder if there was some issue with the witcher 3’s camera too. that’s the only game that has ever made me feel anything like motion sickness, but I don’t know why.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I wonder if there was some issue with the witcher 3’s camera too. that’s the only game that has ever made me feel anything like motion sickness, but I don’t know why.

It's the hyperactive tree sway that does it for me.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I'm kind of confused what this "correct" form of camera rotation looks like, where the axis of rotation is at the player's focus point. Seems like that would make the camera's behavior change jarringly when the player moves their focus from distant objects to near ones?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Part of what's wrong in that Greedfall video is that I'm pretty sure the person is using a controller.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/727570/After_the_Collapse/

Anyone tried this out? Rimworld x Cataclysm seems appealing to me. Looks a bit rear end but if the gameplay is good I might be interested.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Veotax posted:

Pretty much. It's possible to just more or less kill the process and launch a different one on a different engine, I've seen games do it before.

One of the older 360 era Battlefield games (before EA made everyone use Frostbite) had driving segments in it's campaign developed by Criteron, the Burnout studio. When you go to those levels it would actually launch into a different engine, if you were on PC I think it would even drop to the desktop for a second before launching again. And then do it again when you went from driving to shooting.

Hell Assassin's Creed has done it before. The weird first-person sections of Revelation seemed to run on a different engine, it would do the drop to desktop and re-launch on the PC version when you went into one of them.

EA liked doing that for a while, Nightfire and..Everything Or Nothing, I think used different engines for the driving sections (and in the case of Nightfire, a different developer all together)

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
One of the Battlefield games (4 i think?) had separate executable for single and multiplayer. Also had their MP server browser be in your literal browser and you had to log into a website with your Origin account. It would launch your game from there into MP.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i can’t speak to battlefield but i’m fairly certain that’s how red dead redemption 2/red dead online works, i think it’s kind of standard

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Velocity Raptor posted:

One of the Battlefield games (4 i think?) had separate executable for single and multiplayer. Also had their MP server browser be in your literal browser and you had to log into a website with your Origin account. It would launch your game from there into MP.

god, loving Battlelog

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Velocity Raptor posted:

it was 3 that did that and 4 did it at first but players were complaining loud enough for dice to add an in-game server browser

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Battlelog was amazing and I loved browsing servers and messing with load outs in the web browser instead of the usual slow-rear end, lovely ingame menu.

They never really bothered supporting it properly so it was always unreliable, though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My computer would poo poo its pants so hard with constantly re-launching the game and loading in every single time. Hated breaking out the server finder into my web browser.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Battlelog was legit 20 years ahead of its time and I hope they bring it back. Assuming 2042 doesn't kill the franchise.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

folks the only battlelog i know about is the log i'm battling to drop (i'm very constipated)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sab669 posted:

My computer would poo poo its pants so hard with constantly re-launching the game and loading in every single time. Hated breaking out the server finder into my web browser.

This was a weird complaint I kept seeing that never made any sense. If anything the loading was faster since it didn’t have to get into the main menu first.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Tiny Timbs posted:

This was a weird complaint I kept seeing that never made any sense. If anything the loading was faster since it didn’t have to get into the main menu first.

This could happen if you didn't have a top of the line computer, and maybe only meet the minimum specs to run the game.

Memory management was the cause. If you didn't have enough ram or vram free to run the game, some stuff on memory would need to be stashed to load on the game stuff. And then the stashed stuff would be put back when the game closed.

With the game starting and stopping, the OS would have to allocate and deallocate memory to run the game. If there were other things in memory already, those would have to be staged on game launch, and then restored on game close. With BattleLog basically launching the game each time you loaded into a server (switching servers would close and then reopen the game and connect to the new server) your computer would be thrashing trying to store and restore memory.

So it's more an issue of limited resources and OS house keeping that caused a lot of the issues people had. Not just the speed at which an executable could start.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 13, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the dev of Prodigal apparently released a new game back on the 30th of august and it looks neat (and similarly GBC-y)

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256903609/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1661954993

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Velocity Raptor posted:

It was the first Medal of Honor remake that had different single player and multiplayer exe’s on PC because they were on different engines. DICE made the multiplayer in the BF engine and another developer made the single player in Unreal.

Battlelog on the other hand was mostly good as soon as I realized I didn’t have to close the game to join another server.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Witcher 3 has a messed up FOV. I can't play it without that mod that allows you to tweak the camera.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

quote:

Notice: BABYLON'S FALL will be ending service on February 28, 2023, 18:00 JST / 09:00 GMT / 01:00 PT.

After that point the game, along with any in-game currency and in-game purchased items, will no longer be accessible. Between now and when the service ends, as a way to show our gratitude to our players, we intend to run various in-game activities.

As part of the scheduled shutdown process we will be:

September 13, 2022 (Tue)
- Stopping all sales of the in-game currency "Garaz"
- Ceasing Digital and Physical retail sales

February 28, 2023 (Tue), 16:00 JST / 07:00 GMT /
February 27, 2023 (Mon), 23:00 PT
- End of service

Please see the Hanging Garden website for additional details around the shutdown.
https://hanging-garden.babylonsfall.com/

It won't even have lasted a year.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

A good poster posted:

It won't even have lasted a year.

It'll be one year to the day when the servers go offline, no?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I hope Platinum made some decent Squeenix money on that game at least.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

It'll be one year to the day when the servers go offline, no?

The cancellation notice says it started on March 3rd, so it'll be less than a week shy of a year.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/727570/After_the_Collapse/

Anyone tried this out? Rimworld x Cataclysm seems appealing to me. Looks a bit rear end but if the gameplay is good I might be interested.

I have not (yet) but that combination of words makes me POWERFULLY EXCITED.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I'd love to see how these modern failed or mostly failed live service games came out from a budgetary standpoint. Especially when compared that to similar failed or sunset free to play games like Loadout or Hawken, etc.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
speaking of FPS, I kinda fell out of the genre around when MW2 came out (uh the one back in 2008?). i've been jonesin for a good shooter game that lets me just....shoot I guess. Not worried about multiplayer and i'd probably perfer a single player experience as long as it wasn't too full of cutscenes. Any recommendations come to mind? Guess I would entertain multiplayer also if it didn't involve hours of grinding to get any good.

I strongly dislike modern military but i'm cool with futuristic or WW1/2/Vietnam/whatever

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Titanfall 2 has a short but memorable and enjoyable campaign with some fluid gameplay and very few cutscenes. Its cheap these days, too.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

worms butthole guy posted:

speaking of FPS, I kinda fell out of the genre around when MW2 came out (uh the one back in 2008?). i've been jonesin for a good shooter game that lets me just....shoot I guess. Not worried about multiplayer and i'd probably perfer a single player experience as long as it wasn't too full of cutscenes. Any recommendations come to mind? Guess I would entertain multiplayer also if it didn't involve hours of grinding to get any good.

I strongly dislike modern military but i'm cool with futuristic or WW1/2/Vietnam/whatever

Doom 2016 and to a lesser extent Doom Eternal are both very good. Start with the former though because they changed things up a bit in the sequel and it felt busier but not always in a good way.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Titanfall 2 and DOOM/DOOM Eternal.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

explosivo posted:

Doom 2016 and to a lesser extent Doom Eternal are both very good.

i forgot to say i've played Doom 2016 and Titanfal 2l :doh:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Welp, back to the drawing board, boys.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
DUSK,
Turbo Overkill (though early access,)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

In case you haven't played it yet, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is imho one of the best single player FPS ever. It's short, it's fast, it oozes atmosphere, and the narration is brilliantly used. Plus it's cheap, and even more so during sales.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Darkness 2 is a game that flew under many people's radars but mechanically it did a lot of the same things as DOOM 2016 but 4 years prior.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

cruelty squad (if you're in the mood for a deeply strange and unsettling but excellent FPS) + dusk and amid evil (both really good, straight forward FPS games, the best actually released new boomer shooters imo) + severed steel (if you like parkour FPSing) + blood fresh supply (best old FPS game, sorry doom heads) + the old dooms and the quake remake (still really fn good) + halo MCC collection (actually pretty fun).

there's also a ton of early access FPSes on the way. like so many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
hell ya to all the above suggestions. can't wait. thanks all