Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hutzpah posted:

I've wanted to do nothing but eat and sleep for the 24 hours since finishing. I assume this gets easier the more I do it?

Those are pros, not cons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Hutzpah posted:

Went on a 67 mile ride this weekend, previous record length was 33 miles. My shoulders hurt so bad from keeping my head up for 4 hours and I've wanted to do nothing but eat and sleep for the 24 hours since finishing. I assume this gets easier the more I do it?

Well, for one thing,

kimbo305 posted:

Those are pros, not cons.

I do get you when you talk about the pain of keeping your head up. For me, it starts making the back of my neck ache. What I do to mitigate the strain is keep my eyes open for long stretches of clear trail with no intersections, bollards (common on my local trails where a trail crosses any path that an auto can drive on), or other people on the path are. Then I drop my head, go into the drops now that I have drops, and find a comfortable cadence. I look side to side to take in some scenery, and I peek up every so often to make sure the coast is clear, but I find that going head-down for a bit here and there keeps the pain from getting too bad.

I learned to do this on my Escape because even though it has flat bars (well, a very tiny rise), I'm leaning forward quite a bit on it, and I noticed the strain right away.

Everything does get easier, too. I went from a longest ride of 32-33 miles to 52 last year, and this year, I went to 57. Last year, it was a real effort for the last couple of miles because my route had a gentle but long climb at the end, and I was pooped. This year, my ride ended with the exact same climb, and when I finished, I had plenty of gas in the tank. Nausea, as discussed before, but I still had energy. After an hour or so of rest, I kind-of felt like going again, but it was dark and I really didn't want to.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Hutzpah posted:

Went on a 67 mile ride this weekend, previous record length was 33 miles. My shoulders hurt so bad from keeping my head up for 4 hours and I've wanted to do nothing but eat and sleep for the 24 hours since finishing. I assume this gets easier the more I do it?

:justplank:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Yes, gets easier the more distance you do. If I haven't ridden a substantial volume before a big event, it's my back that usually suffers the most during the actual event. Just like bici says, get your core strong.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Speaking of nutrition, I've just discovered home made rice cakes and they are very cool: cheap as heck, quickly made, good carb profile and very easy to eat on the bike.

The most basic recipe is :
180 g round rice
360 ml water
cook 20min (low heat, covered)
salt (half a tb spoon)
sugar (2 tb spoon or more)

But you can (and should) go fancy such as what the pro team cook do
https://efprocycling.com/tips-recipes/team-recipe-on-the-bike-rice-cakes/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG7bWKK9G7E

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Krogort posted:

Speaking of nutrition, I've just discovered home made rice cakes and they are very cool: cheap as heck, quickly made, good carb profile and very easy to eat on the bike.

The most basic recipe is :
180 g round rice
360 ml water
cook 20min (low heat, covered)
salt (half a tb spoon)
sugar (2 tb spoon or more)

But you can (and should) go fancy such as what the pro team cook do
https://efprocycling.com/tips-recipes/team-recipe-on-the-bike-rice-cakes/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG7bWKK9G7E

In that vein, the books from Skratch Labs are very good:

https://www.skratchlabs.com/products/feed-zone-portables

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I bought my new Canyon back at the end of May and since then I have added 721 miles to it. I think this is the most riding I have done in a single year and I love every minute of it.

Except for the dogs chasing me. I haven't had to use any pepper spray yet and hope I don't have to .. but I hate dogs chasing me.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
What about people yelling at you? I get so many fuckers in pickups yelling unintelligible stuff out of the window. It's amazing how many shut up and close their window when you catch them at the next traffic light.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Hutzpah posted:

What about people yelling at you? I get so many fuckers in pickups yelling unintelligible stuff out of the window. It's amazing how many shut up and close their window when you catch them at the next traffic light.

I ride back roads mostly and I have only been yelled at a couple of times, none of which I can understand. I do my best to watch out for people (wave them on at times when I see the road is clear and they can't see that, etc) so people around here tend to not want to kill me (most of the time).

I have some great routes to ride, I am pretty fortunate out in my neck of the woods.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Peak long ride nutrition:

Was a nice day for riding bicycles.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

not at all envious of your riding area ..

well maybe a little bit

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I bought my new Canyon back at the end of May and since then I have added 721 miles to it. I think this is the most riding I have done in a single year and I love every minute of it.

Except for the dogs chasing me. I haven't had to use any pepper spray yet and hope I don't have to .. but I hate dogs chasing me.

Fuckin' dogs in my neighborhood are apparently professional escape artists or something, and they are the main reason I do very few rides in town. After getting chased by a pit (or a very similar breed in size, head shape, etc.) not far from my house one time, I bought some pepper spray the next day. I rarely ride without it strapped to my left wrist. I was able to end that blocks-long chase with a very firm shout, so maybe it just wanted to play, but it was nipping at my ankles as I pedaled my rear end off, so who knows.

There was one time that the chase was hilarious, though. This little yapper sprang up at in front of me from a ditch along the side of the street, and it got in my way. I don't like dogs, but I don't want to hurt them, so I stopped and tried to get around it. No dice. It had me right where it wanted me, I guess. The little fucker countered my every maneuver, yapping incessantly. Finally the owner came out and grabbed him, apologizing and explaining that the little pooch always barks at anything on two wheels, including his own motorized bicycle.

I thought it was funny, anyway.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

tarlibone posted:

Fuckin' dogs in my neighborhood are apparently professional escape artists or something, and they are the main reason I do very few rides in town. After getting chased by a pit (or a very similar breed in size, head shape, etc.) not far from my house one time, I bought some pepper spray the next day. I rarely ride without it strapped to my left wrist. I was able to end that blocks-long chase with a very firm shout, so maybe it just wanted to play, but it was nipping at my ankles as I pedaled my rear end off, so who knows.

There was one time that the chase was hilarious, though. This little yapper sprang up at in front of me from a ditch along the side of the street, and it got in my way. I don't like dogs, but I don't want to hurt them, so I stopped and tried to get around it. No dice. It had me right where it wanted me, I guess. The little fucker countered my every maneuver, yapping incessantly. Finally the owner came out and grabbed him, apologizing and explaining that the little pooch always barks at anything on two wheels, including his own motorized bicycle.

I thought it was funny, anyway.

So .. I must know about this strap for the wrist. I have mine MacGyver'd to my bike and I would like a better option.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Squirting a dog with your bottle has worked nearly every time I’ve encountered one that is chasing. Never stop though.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

mAlfunkti0n posted:

So .. I must know about this strap for the wrist. I have mine MacGyver'd to my bike and I would like a better option.

I use (well, I purchased; I've never had to use it) Sabre pepper spray. They do make one container specifically for bikes, but I think the only difference between it and and any of their other small-size cans is the fact that the hook-and-loop holder is made to go on a tube on your bike somewhere. So, it's still more-or-less MacGyver'd to the bike. So, what I did was I got the one for runners.

No, it's not made just to spray runners. (But it's not not made for runners....)

Anyhow, it's this one, available just about everywhere, even Amazon: SABRE Runner Pepper Gel. Its holster comes with an adjustable hand strap, which is how it's intended to be carried--strap around the back of the hand, can in the palm, ready to go. However, I wear it on my left wrist or forearm, like so:

I've practiced yanking the can out of the holster while my left hand is holding something like, say, a handlebar, as I try to ride away from angry dogs or bike path scoundrels. This is the orientation that I found to be the least awkward. It's also easy to slip off and toss in my jersey pocket, or any of the bags I may have mounted to my bike at any given time.

As per usual, check local rules about this kind of thing. Illinois is pretty relaxed with its OC pepper spray/gel rules, but your mileage may vary (and it does in my state in places like Chicago).

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Barking back at dogs in your most alpha barking voice and yelling “EY! NO!” works more often than not. Having a wristband holster for pepper spray seems weird.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I'm glad I've never been chased by a dog

that was fast enough to catch me

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

TobinHatesYou posted:

Having a wristband holster for pepper spray seems weird.

Yeah, because it should be a Spiderman-style wrist mounted pepper spray dispenser. Totally practical (and normal).

bicievino posted:

I wonder if greyhounds ever get their chase instinct triggered by something as large as a person on a bike. That would be something to see tearing up the road a half mile behind you or whatever.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
If you're riding at speed, wouldn't spraying anything also end up on you anyway?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Shadowhand00 posted:

If you're riding at speed, wouldn't spraying anything also end up on you anyway?

Spy Hunter oil slicks, but a pepper spray cloud.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Shadowhand00 posted:

That's why you should buy the stream and not the cloud sprays. Also don't spray it ahead of yourself.

I don't carry pepper spray on my bike, but doing so is not some insane, incomprehensible thing.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
This is the gel-type spray. It travels in a stream. The stuff that sprays a mist always gets into the sprayer's eyes.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting or recommending that everyone carry this stuff. But, not everyone has the luxury of riding in places where the only potential danger to your personal safety is crashing your bike. I've been chased by a mean-looking and determined dog, and my neighbor across the street was bitten by one last year when it escaped the house of another neighbor. This is a thing I actually have to watch out for in my part of town and when I'm riding out in the country. I think carrying OC spray (or gel or foam), where legal, is an acceptable practice.

I also know that a lot of people, particularly runners, carry it on the local trails, and they're usually more concerned with... uh, threats of a more... bipedal... nature.

As for strapping it to my wrist, I want it where it's out of my way but readily available should I ever need it, and where I can't accidentally leave it unattended. It's about practicality.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'll start carrying pepper spray when they invent one that melts pickup trucks

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Clark Nova posted:

Thermite spray

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Clark Nova posted:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

tarlibone posted:

I use (well, I purchased; I've never had to use it) Sabre pepper spray. They do make one container specifically for bikes, but I think the only difference between it and and any of their other small-size cans is the fact that the hook-and-loop holder is made to go on a tube on your bike somewhere. So, it's still more-or-less MacGyver'd to the bike. So, what I did was I got the one for runners.

No, it's not made just to spray runners. (But it's not not made for runners....)

Anyhow, it's this one, available just about everywhere, even Amazon: SABRE Runner Pepper Gel. Its holster comes with an adjustable hand strap, which is how it's intended to be carried--strap around the back of the hand, can in the palm, ready to go. However, I wear it on my left wrist or forearm, like so:

I've practiced yanking the can out of the holster while my left hand is holding something like, say, a handlebar, as I try to ride away from angry dogs or bike path scoundrels. This is the orientation that I found to be the least awkward. It's also easy to slip off and toss in my jersey pocket, or any of the bags I may have mounted to my bike at any given time.

As per usual, check local rules about this kind of thing. Illinois is pretty relaxed with its OC pepper spray/gel rules, but your mileage may vary (and it does in my state in places like Chicago).

Yeah I have the gel from Sabre, but mine is a bit larger. I guess what I'll do is design and print a mount for my bike for this can I have .. shouldn't be too bad.

bicievino posted:

I can outrun most, but German Shepherds .. screw those things.

Clark Nova posted:

I don't want to punish trucks, just the occasional idiot driving one of them. :)

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 12, 2022

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I do

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I don't want to punish trucks, just the occasional idiot driving one of them. :)

Trucks don't have feelings, you don't have to feel bad about punishing them

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bicievino posted:

:smuggo:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I got my 150 miles in for September's St. Jude Challenge!

Gonna check to see if my employer will match the funds I've raised, since they are a "giving partner company thing certified list dealio" or whatever.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
They make bike mounts for bear spray that you may be able to repurpose.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

Add some salt to your water bottle, it just may take a bit of time.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
So, is the the right thread to ask about how to look over second hand bikes?

My current daily bike is a folder that is going to need some maintenance soon, and I've been looking at getting into something full size and a little bit more robust. As far as I can tell the guy that put this ad up appears to be getting old frames and fixing them up to flip them. Are there are any clear red flags here? As far as I can tell Shogun was a retro brand from decades ago that at some point shifted from middle range retro looking bikes to lower end bikes before disappearing entirely, but I can't find any more information beyond that.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Nanpa posted:

So, is the the right thread to ask about how to look over second hand bikes?

My current daily bike is a folder that is going to need some maintenance soon, and I've been looking at getting into something full size and a little bit more robust. As far as I can tell the guy that put this ad up appears to be getting old frames and fixing them up to flip them. Are there are any clear red flags here? As far as I can tell Shogun was a retro brand from decades ago that at some point shifted from middle range retro looking bikes to lower end bikes before disappearing entirely, but I can't find any more information beyond that.

That Shogun likely has very little to do with the mtb brand from the 80s other than the name.

I'm a little sceptical of the recommended size wrt how low the saddle is in the picture. I'm in that height range and would probably have the saddle a lot higher than the bars which would make the riding position a lot more aggressive than suggested.

The shogun looks pretty clean but looking at the alchemy road bike he's also selling it might have v-brake levers with road brakes which is not gonna work great but can't say for sure from the pictures. That leaves me a bit wary of how well the bikes actually work.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
On Brevets (I do a 200km occasionally) I will start eating around 200 calories after the first hour, typically by eating part of a cliff bar every half hour.

I don't bonk that way. Felt pretty good after the one I did in August.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Havana Affair posted:

That Shogun likely has very little to do with the mtb brand from the 80s other than the name.

I'm a little sceptical of the recommended size wrt how low the saddle is in the picture. I'm in that height range and would probably have the saddle a lot higher than the bars which would make the riding position a lot more aggressive than suggested.

The shogun looks pretty clean but looking at the alchemy road bike he's also selling it might have v-brake levers with road brakes which is not gonna work great but can't say for sure from the pictures. That leaves me a bit wary of how well the bikes actually work.

Thanks for this, something seemed a bit off but I didn't know what. Back to browsing then!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I was looking at Trailnet's last ride event of the year, the Ride the Rivers Century Ride, conveniently located in and around my stomping grounds, and I was thinking that I might be able to do the metric century. Then I noticed the elevation map, and I know this area quite well, so I thought, no, they wouldn't do what I think they did, would they? The rest is pleasantly flat, but... yep, it goes up IL 3.

I've driven that road going up and out of the little town of Grafton a lot. You're driving up and out of the Mississippi River bottoms. It's kind-of windy, but also just bad. My ears usually pop at least a couple times when I'm driving up or down that road, and man do I not want to ride that this year. It doesn't help that you get some good ol' boys tearing up and down that road, and the shoulder isn't so great on the really entertaining bits.

Maybe next year I'll be brave enough. Or, I'll plan my own, but that'll suck because it won't be supported.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Nanpa posted:

Thanks for this, something seemed a bit off but I didn't know what. Back to browsing then!

This is targed toward budget bikes, but I think it's still a good starting point

kimbo305 posted:

Terribly lit, but quite comprehensive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0hEfwWg8vY

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

tarlibone posted:

I was looking at Trailnet's last ride event of the year, the Ride the Rivers Century Ride, conveniently located in and around my stomping grounds, and I was thinking that I might be able to do the metric century. Then I noticed the elevation map, and I know this area quite well, so I thought, no, they wouldn't do what I think they did, would they? The rest is pleasantly flat, but... yep, it goes up IL 3.

I've driven that road going up and out of the little town of Grafton a lot. You're driving up and out of the Mississippi River bottoms. It's kind-of windy, but also just bad. My ears usually pop at least a couple times when I'm driving up or down that road, and man do I not want to ride that this year. It doesn't help that you get some good ol' boys tearing up and down that road, and the shoulder isn't so great on the really entertaining bits.

Maybe next year I'll be brave enough. Or, I'll plan my own, but that'll suck because it won't be supported.

The climb is 360ft over two miles pretty early on in the day. I’m pretty sure you have enough jam in your legs at that point to get her done.

With respect to safety/good old boys, I don’t think it gets any safer than riding with a group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm looking to get a cheap road bike that can fit fatter tyres, 30-35mm would be ideal. Yeah ideally I'd want a hip old steel roadie with really big rubber but I'm looking at more modern stuff too.

There is a picture in this listing of the caliper area, does that look like it would fit the kind of sizes I'm looking for?