Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I literally would take back everything good I've ever said about Berserk if Guts reconciled with Griffith in any shape or form instead of murdering the poo poo out of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Oh I think I agree with that. :commissar: Dragonslayer cleaves Griffith, a thousand times each day to eternity.

I just had this (weird?) moment where the story aligned to suggest a possible resolution via different means. Perhaps it was slightly Griffith-did-nothing-wrong in nature, more like "maybe Griffith is now trying to reform himself and is actually trying to save or cure Casca here" (because she certainly goes mute again on his arrival), but this doesn't seem like an attack on Guts. Griffith merely arranged to avoid being hit, but if Guts can't strike a blow what does he do to resolve the story?

If Guts' story is about becoming the best swordsman (after tree in the snow), and subsequently using that skill to struggle against apostles post-eclipse, but that skill is insufficient against Griffith, what does he practice to establish that he is not bound by Griffith's dream? Remember that even SK missed with his sword, so we the readers know that Guts can't succeed in a frontal assault (without some other error or inconsistent lore).

In searching for a resolution we've all been hoping for the 8-page spread of that sword slicing each of 1000 strands of perfect hair and proceeding to chunk Griffith in two, but :downsgun: we just got told that Guts' journey has been insufficient to make that possible.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Guts might need to take a page out of Rickert's book, and just slap Griffith to death.

I just think it's werid that after the whole Fantasia arc, and all the time we spent seeing the consequences of the magical realm fusing with the material one, that the friendly magical creatures just get poofed out of existence like thtat.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah rickert didnt miss.
Guts journey has been in part about being able to rely on and trust other people again, amd to learn that his own strength isnt enough and can never be enough, unless he gives up all that makes him guts and he becomes like SK.

This seems like a further reinforcement of that, but its such a gut punch that im genuinely unsure where well go from here wrt guts characterization.

And Ive said it before in the thread but griffiths most fitting end isnt a fateful final clash with guts but dying pathetically in obscurity as his dream crumbles around him.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah rickert didnt miss.
Guts journey has been in part about being able to rely on and trust other people again, amd to learn that his own strength isnt enough and can never be enough, unless he gives up all that makes him guts and he becomes like SK.
To add onto this, it's also extremely clear that going full SK isn't even going to do it-- Void was around long enough to recruit an entirely new Godhand and shows no signs of fading away. SK sacrificed literally everything to get even and it empirically didn't work. The universe is practically screaming at Guts "you will not beat Griffith at his own game."

quote:

And Ive said it before in the thread but griffiths most fitting end isnt a fateful final clash with guts but dying pathetically in obscurity as his dream crumbles around him.
:hmmyes:

Griffith's weakness has always been his vanity. It's what spurred his spiral into becoming Femto. It's dripping all over every pretension he has with Falconia. The only real thing we don't have is an obvious avenue for Guts & the Neo-Band to take to make that happen. Taking their magic support off the board is a very frightening way to force them to find a more Earthly way to deal with Griffith. Looking forward to where it goes, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit worried about how it'll all shake out and that the writers will pull some weird poo poo out of their rear end that wasn't properly set up.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

So the final battle will be a fashion show?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It's a walk off

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If looks could kill they probably will

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Behelits aren't activated by despair, they activate when they're supposed to (which always coincides with the user's peak despair).

That is hasn't activated here means either Guts will never trigger it or he still hasn't reached his lowest point.

From a few days ago, but doesn’t the brand keep Behelits from triggering for Guts and Casca? I thought their souls were already marked as being sacrifices for the apostles or something like that.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So there’s a memorial edition of the films coming out, apparently they’re gonna put some of the bits left out of the originals like the bonfire of dreams into this edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ3JnxDkYtE

Ccs fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 14, 2022

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ethiser posted:

From a few days ago, but doesn’t the brand keep Behelits from triggering for Guts and Casca? I thought their souls were already marked as being sacrifices for the apostles or something like that.

Slan was torturing Guts in an attempt to get him to use his, so she seemed to think it would work at least

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Ethiser posted:

It's not 100% known. The Behelits have some sort of ability of enforcing fate or altering fate so that they always show up in the right person's hands when it's their time to be used. There are also a few "special" ones like the one Griffith used to start the eclipse or the egg child who became an Behelit. Gut's behelit was taken by skull knight along with the behelits from the other disciples he killed and was forged into Skull Knight's fate cutting sword or whatever he was calling it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the sword is still Gut's behelit since he's the only living owner of a behelit that went into its creation.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

The junk collector posted:

It's not 100% known. The Behelits have some sort of ability of enforcing fate or altering fate so that they always show up in the right person's hands when it's their time to be used. There are also a few "special" ones like the one Griffith used to start the eclipse or the egg child who became an Behelit. Gut's behelit was taken by skull knight along with the behelits from the other disciples he killed and was forged into Skull Knight's fate cutting sword or whatever he was calling it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the sword is still Gut's behelit since he's the only living owner of a behelit that went into its creation.

When did Skully get Guts' behelit, I thought Puck still had it?

The way I always interpreted it is that while the Godhand can't affect Guts and Caska directly anymore, they can still influence them through other means (manipulating the people around them instead for example). It may not be as much a 100% sure thing as loving with causality but there's no reason to believe the Godhand can't just manipulate people the old fashioned mortal way too, and Griffith in particular has been playing that game since long before he was Femto.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

The way I always interpreted it is that while the Godhand can't affect Guts and Caska directly anymore, they can still influence them through other means (manipulating the people around them instead for example). It may not be as much a 100% sure thing as loving with causality but there's no reason to believe the Godhand can't just manipulate people the old fashioned mortal way too, and Griffith in particular has been playing that game since long before he was Femto.

Again, Slan literally beat up Guts and physically restrained him so this definitely is not the case!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

No Dignity posted:

Again, Slan literally beat up Guts and physically restrained him so this definitely is not the case!

Directly as in “control over their fate”, actual physical contact sure works just fine.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Dammit the app lost my entire writeup. So you only get the last bit.

In vol26 Guts' Behelit activates! Slan appears and she says, "Why not make a sacrifice as he did?". So both Guts and Casca can have a Behelit activate for them, and Slan at least teases that they could sacrifice.

(And to quickly note what the app lost... Slan also contradicts Conrad in Vol3 and says that Guts isn't an acceptable sacrifice for the Count because of emotional attachment.)

(And another parallel that I've not seen anywhere. Griffith is shown that he is a demon, therefore the Behelit came to him. Guts is certainly a demon; that doggie would love to eat Casca and the entire party. Griffiths subconscious is about piling up bodies to reach his goal. But who has been directly piling up apostles for 40 books? If a mound of humans creates a Femto, think of what a mound of apostles can create!)

It lost all my other quotes from book3 and book12 showing that the brands... didn't work, Guts and Casca are both still alive, so Void was flat wrong on at least one of his statements. What Guts carries came from count, so ownership can change as well it seems?

Anyway it lost my nice organized writeup, so I'm in despair and will go fetch my black egg.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Going back and looking I think I might have gotten it confused with a different behelit and now I'm not sure. It's been so long since I read that far back.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

The junk collector posted:

Going back and looking I think I might have gotten it confused with a different behelit and now I'm not sure. It's been so long since I read that far back.
SK picks up several, but remember that Guts still has his at Flora's. SK appears in Quilphoth, but that's where Guts' Behelit activates and SK already has his sword.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Didn't realize that Crunchyroll will be doing a simulcast for Berserk Memorial Edition and they're even gonna have a dub? I can't imagine them not going with the old cast, but if they're going with other actors :whitewater:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd be pretty pissed If they redubbed everyone.

The consolidation of anime distributors was a mistake for anyone who cares about English audio tracks. The stuff with crunchyroll makes me fume. Simuldubs trade quality for convenience.

Imagine if they recast Void with someone other than Jon Avner.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 23, 2022

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I know this is beating a dead horse and I've repeated it many times but Kaiji Tang loving sucks rear end and he sucked as Guts, just sounds like some goony dude trying wayyyy to hard to sound badass

He was equally as terrible as Kenshiro in that FOTNS musou

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He was the 2016 English VA right?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah, and while that dub wasn't necessarily the worst, it wasn't particularly good either, and had some strange quirks in the script

I think some might remember the awkward "That news is old" line when they first started promoting it, as an example

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
There’s only one guts in my heart and he was also “Zolo” in the 4Kids dub of One Piece

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well that explains why Guts never wants people to give up on their dreams. Don't give it up, Zolo.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Dreamin'! Don't give it up, Griffith!
Dreamin'! Don't give it up, Gattsu!
Dreamin'! Don't give it up, Casca!

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Or they could go with the Japanese voice actors and not have this problem? :blush:

(And instead get in heated debates about the Band of the Canary actually being the Owls, I mean Eagles, well ... See they just changed it because who ever heard of the great kingdom of Hawkonnen, wait I mean Hawkonia, well karap.) :suicide:

Is it about time for the next chapter? I've lost track.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
October 14

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Or they could go with the Japanese voice actors and not have this problem? :blush:

They replaced them too drat it, I miss how the old Guts sounded

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The movie cast are trying their hardest but Canna Nobutoshi has got such a knack for bloodthirsty roughnecks with hearts of gold I still hear him as Guts in my head, and and Morikawa Toshiyuki manages to infuse Griffith with just enough actual charm that you can understand why people who aren't easily duped by a pretty face and some social graces would follow this guy

then again i kind of am down on the movies for a variety of reasons and we'll see whether or not any additional scenes or runtime improves my impression for this version

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I found the movies interesting in the way they depicted certain scenes but they just cut down too much stuff and the animation being the forerunner of the jank rear end CGI anime trend doesn't help.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I like how they did that kinda stylized take on the assassination scene

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

The movie cast are trying their hardest but Canna Nobutoshi has got such a knack for bloodthirsty roughnecks with hearts of gold I still hear him as Guts in my head,

I never remember that dude's name, but anytime I'm playing or watching something with the Japanese audio and I hear him, it's just instantly "oh poo poo, that's guts"

That yell is so distinct

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Berserk should be dubbed by that same roster of British VAs that does FFXIV, the Souls games, Xenoblade, etc.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I changed my mind, that would be ok

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

British legitimate theatre actors moonlighting in VA were born to do Berserk

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I don’t understand the latest chapter at all. Griffith merged the planes. There should be no more “astral world” separate from our own for the mermaids and fairies to decoporialize into. That was the point of the world becoming “Fantasia”

I still really don’t buy the direction Mori is taking the story

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Something something Fairy island was protected by its own magical tree that's now gone when Griffith invaded the island

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Ccs posted:

I don’t understand the latest chapter at all. Griffith merged the planes. There should be no more “astral world” separate from our own for the mermaids and fairies to decoporialize into. That was the point of the world becoming “Fantasia”

I still really don’t buy the direction Mori is taking the story

I assume there are still layers otherwise wouldn't the IoE be hovering somewhere in the real world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
We're probably never going to get an in-depth explanation of exactly why things worked out the way they did in a cosmological sense, because Miura's dead, but I have no doubt that this was always the way it was going to go. Miura put Femto on the island, and there are only so many ways that could end. Isma going poof is sad, but it also makes sense that this was the final destination of a fairly extraneous party member. An entire island ecosystem of potential anti-Griffith silver bullets being wiped out in an instant feels like reasonable recompense for Casca being magicked back to sanity.