Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope the Ultra has a proper G Shock face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I know I had an one G shock face when I saw the German price heyooo

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

The Ultra seems very cool but it’s certainly more of a thing for the kind of person who runs the Chicago Marathon than the kind of person who summits Kilimanjaro, despite the marketing.

I look forward to giving it careful consideration when it hits its third revision.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys quick question how fast and steep does a previous Apple Watch get typically right after a new one is released? I’m holding on for a 25-30% clearance sale for the series 7, Or are they like Nintendo and never go down in price all that much?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys quick question how fast and steep does a previous Apple Watch get typically right after a new one is released? I’m holding on for a 25-30% clearance sale for the series 7, Or are they like Nintendo and never go down in price all that much?

You’ll probably see sales around Black Friday.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

The series 7 started clearance sales a month ago. Costco had them for around $280 but they’re sold out. Best Buy and Amazon as well had same price but they’re back up to retail prices for the moment.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

FCKGW posted:

The series 7 started clearance sales a month ago. Costco had them for around $280 but they’re sold out. Best Buy and Amazon as well had same price but they’re back up to retail prices for the moment.

Yeah sadly I don’t live in the US so the prices in america in Best Buy don’t count for me, ordering from Amazon to my US post box and then shipping it over would probably cost as much as a new one from post+customs.

I think in a couple weeks the national holiday will be here, that’s usually the time they do thanksgiving-style discounts. Let’s see what happens.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Considering they're making the compass app and watch face the embodiment of the Ultra, it seems they didn't think things entirely through, because so far the fitness app keeps stealing focus, if it's running. Raising your wrist and getting an instant compass reading isn't doable right now. Sure, this is with WatchOS 9 on a non-Ultra, but I figure it'll translate to that one, too.

I noticed today, because I figured while in the middle of nowhere with my mountain bike, why not try the compass app and head a specific direction. No bueno.

--edit:
Oh, there's a Return to App setting that's buried somewhere in the settings, that controls this behavior.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 11, 2022

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I went ahead and preordered the S8. I passed on stainless steel this year as I doubt I’ll carry it for three years like the S5 if we assume the S10 will be more than the past half-decade of iterative releases.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
watchOS 9 is out

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

101 posted:

watchOS 9 is out

The update won't show on the watch and trying to do it from the phone will request to upgrade iOS, just as general warning for the thread.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah servers are getting slammed

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

The update won't show on the watch and trying to do it from the phone will request to upgrade iOS, just as general warning for the thread.

Pretty sure iOS 16 is required for WatchOS 9.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Watch battery health imploded after the update, jumped from 95% to 86%. I hope it doesn’t crap out too much

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Suspect mine will be the same, but also suspect that the 80-something percent I expect will be more aligned to reality than the reported "91%" ever was.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

some kinda jackal posted:

Suspect mine will be the same, but also suspect that the 80-something percent I expect will be more aligned to reality than the reported "91%" ever was.

I purchased them on 2021\03\19 so i hoped they wouldn't get under 90% so soon. I hope i don't have catched Zetterberg's battery curse :ohdear:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Dumb question: where do I see battery health of my watch?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So just to be clear, low power mode only seems to turn off AOD and most of the idle heart monitoring, right? Activity/movement/step tracking is unaffected?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
You know what update I would love to see. Your stats for a monthly challenge, even it you failed it. Cuz sometimes its just insanity what it asks. It would be nice to see that you burned 45.000 calories in a month of the challenged 50.000 for example.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Duckman2008 posted:

Dumb question: where do I see battery health of my watch?

Settings -> Battery directly on watch.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So just to be clear, low power mode only seems to turn off AOD and most of the idle heart monitoring, right? Activity/movement/step tracking is unaffected?

Auto Activity is disabled.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SlowBloke posted:

Auto Activity is disabled.

That’s not what the pop up says :argh:

Good to know, though.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/09/12/watchos-9-low-power-mode-disabled-features/

Notifications slow down, modems disable more often, etc.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Amazon/Walmart have a few S7 on a deeper sale today. $300 for a GPS only Aluminum model. Some are $329. Nothing on stainless steel yet. The wait continues… guessing we won’t see actual good deals on the remaining S7s until thanksgiving.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sefal posted:

You know what update I would love to see. Your stats for a monthly challenge, even it you failed it. Cuz sometimes its just insanity what it asks. It would be nice to see that you burned 45.000 calories in a month of the challenged 50.000 for example.

Their monthly challenges need some tweaking. There are two things that basically got me to stop caring about these:

1. Insane ramp up from "close your rings 10 times this month" to "run or walk 800km in 31 days" some months. I get it, you're supposed to push yourself, but the escalation feels nutty some months so you kind of have to fail the challenge to get back to reasonable challenges.

2. Changing the achievement after day one. Day one: "Close your rings every day this month" No problem! *checks achievement progress after 20 days* "Run or walk 300km, try to achieve 20km every day to finish this achievement". Fine if you start from day one, but if you catch the change like, midway, you're doomed to 15 days of catchup.

Both super demotivating. I know people say "it's meaningless achievements who cares" and I agree, ultimately they don't matter, but they are fun to collect and do kind of sting when you know you'll be getting the miss because you don't want to kill yourself. They do motivate me to get up and do things, so working as intended. Until it isn't working as intended :|

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I updated my watch and it is now asking me to sign in to my iCloud account on the watch. However, when I try to put the password in, it will not recognize certain numbers. It will only show the drawing pad to create the characters.

Any idea on how to get that through?

Edit: ignore. It finally popped up on my phone the option to type in my password there.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 13, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm just trying to imagine inputting my password via the watch and I'm pretty sure I made the :stonk: face

E: Speaking of, I’ve tried to authenticate to gmail five times now to enable mail notifications on the watch via the iPhone watch config app. Outwardly seems to be successful, but every time it finishes the app shows “authentication required” or something (just put the phone away upstairs sorry). I guess I’m giving up for now since I don’t actually care about mail notifications on the watch, but seems weird.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 13, 2022

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

Watch battery health imploded after the update, jumped from 95% to 86%. I hope it doesn’t crap out too much
mine went up a percent, from 82 to 83 :psyduck:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Pants Donkey posted:

mine went up a percent, from 82 to 83 :psyduck:

Yes, strange. 83% from 78% here. Helping us out on resale?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Reading some reviews of the Ultra, starting to sour on it as someone who is not an athlete or doing cool stuff all the time.

I've enjoyed my SS S4 Silver, how's the SS Gold and SS Graphite look on the S7 in person? In some pictures online the gold looks really sharp with a leather band, but in others it looks really gaudy.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

some kinda jackal posted:

I'm just trying to imagine inputting my password via the watch and I'm pretty sure I made the :stonk: face

E: Speaking of, I’ve tried to authenticate to gmail five times now to enable mail notifications on the watch via the iPhone watch config app. Outwardly seems to be successful, but every time it finishes the app shows “authentication required” or something (just put the phone away upstairs sorry). I guess I’m giving up for now since I don’t actually care about mail notifications on the watch, but seems weird.

If you have google advanced protection on, it will throw an atomic fit over pretty every application logon attempt but mail.app(iPhone/iPad).

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Reading some reviews of the Ultra, starting to sour on it as someone who is not an athlete or doing cool stuff all the time.

I've enjoyed my SS S4 Silver, how's the SS Gold and SS Graphite look on the S7 in person? In some pictures online the gold looks really sharp with a leather band, but in others it looks really gaudy.

What reviews are you reading? The watch isn't even in anyones hands yet.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TraderStav posted:

Yes, strange. 83% from 78% here. Helping us out on resale?

Wasn't less than 83% the threshold for warranty battery replacement? Maybe Apple is gaming numbers to skip free battery swaps?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

My S5 battery went from 85 to 87. But real world I am now charging for short periods twice a day to keep up.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TraderStav posted:

MKHDB made a really good point that sold me on not getting the Ultra: it's the gopro of watches. You'll see people doing some cool poo poo with it and the extra ruggedness / size / action button are good additions. It'll be a cool when you're doing outdoor poo poo. But at the end of the day, this watch will also be your day to day watch that you'll have on when you're not doing cool outdoorsy poo poo. You'll wear it at home, at work, for sleeping. And it's pretty much every use case outside of what it's built for that I can easily see it being too bulky and annoying for me. And between the OS improvements and (yet to be released) workout improvements, a regular 7 or 8 will more than suit my needs.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

mattfl posted:

What reviews are you reading? The watch isn't even in anyones hands yet.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

MKHDB made a really good point that sold me on not getting the Ultra: it's the gopro of watches. You'll see people doing some cool poo poo with it and the extra ruggedness / size / action button are good additions. It'll be a cool when you're doing outdoor poo poo. But at the end of the day, this watch will also be your day to day watch that you'll have on when you're not doing cool outdoorsy poo poo. You'll wear it at home, at work, for sleeping. And it's pretty much every use case outside of what it's built for that I can easily see it being too bulky and annoying for me. And between the OS improvements and (yet to be released) workout improvements, a regular 7 or 8 will more than suit my needs.

Yes, it was MKHDB that pushed me over the edge, although I'll keep my pre-order and see how I like it when I receive it. I'm at the stage that the only two features I like about the Ultra is the increased battery life (more or less convenience as a brand new S7 or S8 would work for me in that respect) and because it's a new design that I think I may enjoy.

Perhaps, 'review' was loose, and more people's initial thoughts and considerations have swayed me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Like, real talk: not everyone can pull off gold watches and if you're asking, you're not one of them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah like you know already if you are a gold watch person.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

Wasn't less than 83% the threshold for warranty battery replacement? Maybe Apple is gaming numbers to skip free battery swaps?

80% was the threshold. Which is kinda annoying since my S4 went from 78% to 81%. I'm wondering if I can still get the swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I'd be a gold watch person if I wasn't too cheap to get the SS model again last time I upgraded... maybe that makes me not a gold watch person