Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Eifert Posting posted:

I thought Bonemass wasn't so bad. Honestly I find Lox more annoying than any valheim boss.

Yeah post-H&H they hit way harder I find (or maybe it's because I'm just using this speedy mountain armor), it's a nice change of pace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

I thought Bonemass wasn't so bad. Honestly I find Lox more annoying than any valheim boss.

I geared up ages to fight him because the swamps were such a nightmare to slog through and he was honestly underwhelming.
If you can survive all the crap in the swamps you can dunk on this thing easy.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the best weapons for the swamp are the hoe and pickaxe

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The only part that got a little bit hairy for me for bone mass is I started drawing mobs towards the end of it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I hope in a future update they add more randomized structures and landmarks in the map generation, maybe figure out waterfalls and water levels above sea level.

There is only so much variation of trees and height of hills configurations for potential coastal settlement locations you can explore before you feel like you've seen it all.

Then eventually all that is left is looking for the tallest mountain or biggest plains pillar or biggest swamp tree or tiniest ocean island for a hardmode build challenge.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 12, 2022

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Eifert Posting posted:

I thought Bonemass wasn't so bad.

As an unskilled idiot, I literally just slugged it out with Bonemass without dodging his green goo special. I thought my poison potion would protect me, and it mostly did. Fully upgraded iron armor and mace. He died before I did, although we both died. So, the moral of the story is just beat him with an iron mace! You don't even have to move and you can still win!

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

We'd dug out one of those fire vents for surt farming and Bone mass got stuck in it and very slowly burned itself to death.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Lol.

I did cheese the mordar fight by digging a pit near her shrine but that was just because I heard it was an extremely tedious fight whether you do it straight or not.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm assuming you mean Moder?

I did her fight "legit" and it was tedious as hell. Not hard, just tedious and time consuming.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It's not that long if you engage her in melee when she lands.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
There's not a single boss in this game you're NOT better off meleeing except for the Elder.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/4649425839615258188

Another update, sounds like Mistlands could actually be dropping next month. Their composer tweeted yesterday about new music coming out 'soon' as well!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

We know many of you are looking forward to the Mistlands, and we are grateful for your continued patience. Although we are not quite ready to set a date, we promise it is coming, and that we’re working hard to make sure it’ll be worth the wait!

I do not get the sense of "next month" from that. Certainly not given the pace the studio has been working at so far.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
This game got me through some really rough patches during the pandemic, so I can't wait to return with the next major update.

I guess it's good that they're taking their time to put quality first, but I will be really disappointed if it ends up not living to the hype.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
I have a group of friends just waiting for the next major update to drop so we can start up a server.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think the high point of the game is when you are just getting into the black forest and you see a troll moving between the trees for the first time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Who can forget first screaming THE gently caress IS THAT and running all the way back to your base.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'll never forget the first time one chased me and like 5 other idiots piled onto the starter raft into a shallow river and we spent like 10 minutes traveling into the wind juuuust outside of its swings. We thought we were safe in the water lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 23, 2022

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

best individual moment i had with this game was realizing i was knocking trees into trees and domino effecting the forest. making farming for logs fun was the most incredible moment i remember.

the rest of the game was a blast, and I can't wait for them to do mistlands so we can do another run, but that first evening with the trees was when i realized this game was going to be good

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

man in the eyeball hat posted:

best individual moment i had with this game was realizing i was knocking trees into trees and domino effecting the forest. making farming for logs fun was the most incredible moment i remember.

the rest of the game was a blast, and I can't wait for them to do mistlands so we can do another run, but that first evening with the trees was when i realized this game was going to be good

i always put tree farms on slopes for this reason

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
My favorite thing was to toss a saddle on a Lox and knock the tree farm down. I never got it going, but because trees grow while nobody is in the area but animals are inactive at that same time, if you plant a tree farm inside a giant lox pen you should be able to have them knock the trees down for you if you spook them by chopping one down.

Burns
May 10, 2008

The best was our trip to find the elder which went from a casual trip to omaha beach as soon as we landed because a troll spawned there. I managed to escape long enough to set a portal because everyone else got smashed.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Burns posted:

The best was our trip to find the elder which went from a casual trip to omaha beach as soon as we landed because a troll spawned there. I managed to escape long enough to set a portal because everyone else got smashed.

We had that happen often enough we had a Designated Survivor system. Whoever had portal mats was supposed to start on the edge of the fight and run like hell if things went south.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Cool moments:
Me and three buddies building our first longship and setting sail towards new unknown lands just as the sun was starting to rise and those mournful horns started playing. Absolutely loving beautiful.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

man in the eyeball hat posted:

for me was when 5 of us first piled on a raft and set sail, our first stop was a small black forest island swarming with greydwarves and trolls, we basically spent a day and night just trying to survive and rebuild the raft, until we could finally leave on a good wind and all got eaten by a sea dragon

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah the boats were wonderful for multiplayer. 6+ people in a Karve sailing off to fight the Elder, then one doofus just jumps out of the boat for some reason, queue a surprisingly entertaining 10 minutes trying to maneuver back to pick him up before he drowned

he drowned

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

:mediocre:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

My dream remains a big boat that you can actually do some stuff on while sailing though realistically that's probably a total pipe dream. If it was possible I wouldn't want it to be something as extensive as the giant submarine in Subnautica which can everything but just some basic crafting stuff.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

My dream remains a big boat that you can actually do some stuff on while sailing though realistically that's probably a total pipe dream. If it was possible I wouldn't want it to be something as extensive as the giant submarine in Subnautica which can everything but just some basic crafting stuff.

I disagree, I absolutely do want a customizable magic Viking aircraft carrier that does everything :colbert:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the karve is the most fun boat to use because it's both fast and small and light enough to feel it bobbing on the waves, sailing into a storm with the karve and cresting a wave kicks rear end, the longship is also nice but feels more like driving a bus

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Shibawanko posted:

the karve is the most fun boat to use because it's both fast and small and light enough to feel it bobbing on the waves, sailing into a storm with the karve and cresting a wave kicks rear end, the longship is also nice but feels more like driving a bus
The raft is an econo shitbox, it'll (barely) get you from point a to point b and it sucks to drive. The longship is a commercial vehicle, doesn't handle very well but has lots of power. The karve is a sports car. Fast, maneuverable, fun to drive, and no trunk space :v:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

id like a really fast small boat, faster than the karve, maybe a catamaran

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You can do a after market addition to the karve however by literally dropping a cart into it.

You build a small platform of floorboards above the karve, line up the cart on the floorboards with the karve, then destroy the floor. The cart can juuuust fit between the sides and now you’ve got a ton of space. Just watch out for what it does to your boat’s balance.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

My favorite moment in the game was discovering with a buddy during our attempt at an ambush on a troll that went fantastically wrong.

It was a troll standing in front of its cave that was situated just below the crest of a hill, so I get the bright idea to sneak up the back and jump stab it from the top of its own cave. It was a relatively easy feat to accomplish sneaking up the back as I was really leaning into the sneaking + dagger style of gameplay and had a full troll set on. Standing on the top of the cave, I leaping stab off it at the troll...

And land right on top of it's head without hitting it, where I learned to my surprise that you can in fact stand on top of a troll's head without falling off.

Cue me locking eyes with the troll as it looks up and I look down. I slid down its arm stabbing, still managing to kill it while losing my poo poo.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 23, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

SubponticatePoster posted:

The raft is an econo shitbox, it'll (barely) get you from point a to point b and it sucks to drive. The longship is a commercial vehicle, doesn't handle very well but has lots of power. The karve is a sports car. Fast, maneuverable, fun to drive, and no trunk space :v:

It would be nice if this were true, but the Karve is straight up slower than the Longship in every regime.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Feels faster though

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Trickortreat posted:

This game got me through some really rough patches during the pandemic, so I can't wait to return with the next major update.

I guess it's good that they're taking their time to put quality first, but I will be really disappointed if it ends up not living to the hype.

This game really did hit at the perfect time during the pandemic. Everyone was doing quarantine things and it brought a lot of people together. The ride was great with what we got but I doubt my group will be revisiting it after these updates eventually drop. There just isn’t a way to satisfyingly revisit that initial wonder.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

George H.W. oval office posted:

There just isn’t a way to satisfyingly revisit that initial wonder.

VR. The answer is VR. It completely revitalized the game for me, like new again, with all the wonder.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
When you use an old seed, does it have newer features? For example if I used a seed from when it came out, will the mountains still potentially have caves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you're talking about starting a new world with the same old seed, sure. Actually I'm pretty sure new stuff will still generate on unexplored parts of your old map, just not on the areas you've already been to.