Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for refusing to take down my daughter's graduation photo and replace it with my husband's graduation photo?

quote:

My daughter (18) graduated high school and I hung a photo of her graduation party on the living room wall. She wants to go to a community college and we'll live with me and her stepdad while doing that.

My husband recently earned his master's degree and yesterday, he showed me his graduation photo that he framed and prepared to hung. I asked where we were gonna hang it and he said the living room. I said "great! right next to Amy's graduation photo then". He said not next to it but instead of it. I was puzzled I asked why and he said that he didn't feel it was right having his graduation photo, a master's degree be hung next to a high school graduation photo, a high school degree. He said that both photis have "different weight and value" and suggested I take my daughter's photo down and hang his instead. I was fuming because he refused to let her photo be hung anywhere near his and by that he has claimed the entire wall. I refused and sais this photo has been here for months! and my daughter desrves to have it on display for encouragement. He got upset and said that I was making it a big deal and could instead just use the hallway hall or something but I refused.

We had an argument about it and he kept insisting on having her graduation photo be taken down and not be hung on the same wall as his due to difference in degree value and weight and also he thought that a highschool photo isn't hang-on wall worthy and called me inconsiderate of his feelings. he says it's disrespectful to him and his efforts and said that I' choosing this "hill" to die on was ridiculous.

AITA for choosing this hill to die on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for refusing to take down my daughter's graduation photo and replace it with my husband's graduation photo?

I can't remember the quote/phrase but it was something like "To the Americans, it was just another hill, but to the Vietnamese who fought and died for it, that was home"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

therobit posted:

While you can get into discussion of arts and crafts bungalows be mid century ranch homes and identify lots of of design features, in modern real estate appraisal speak a bungalow is smaller and squarish and a ranch is sprawling, bigger, and rectangular.
:hai:
When my husband and I were house-shopping in 2002, we were shown a ghastly bungalow remake in Palo Alto: take a bungalow, slap an enormous cathedral-ceiling thing on the back, make no attempt to harmonize the two. Fortunately, it was in Palo Alto, so we couldn't afford it anyway.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Tea Bone posted:

AITA for displaying my Transformers collection in shared space which apparently hurts my roommates chances of getting “a$$”?

It's even worse in the comments...

It's 1000 transformers +/- 1000.
He's taking up 100% of the walls in common areas with displays.
He's taking up 25% of the common area square footage with the displays.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hughlander posted:

He's taking up 100% of the walls in common areas with displays.
He's taking up 25% of the common area square footage with the displays.

I know I'm gonna be proven wrong but are there even that many toys??

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

he'll try to bring them back home only to find the locks changed and the lights out

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Barudak posted:

Like, released this year or just for Comic-con?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Arsenic Lupin posted:

When my husband and I were house-shopping in 2002, we were shown a ghastly bungalow remake in Palo Alto: take a bungalow, slap an enormous cathedral-ceiling thing on the back, make no attempt to harmonize the two. Fortunately, it was in Palo Alto, so we couldn't afford it anyway.

Palo Alto is ground zero for the shittiest, tiniest homes selling for the highest prices. Any town that tech money touches becomes unaffordable at the same time that the material living conditions drop into the toilet. But in most HCOL cities at least when you buy a lovely million dollar home the interior finishes are at least nice. In Palo Alto it seems like they don’t even bother trying to refresh the place before selling it for an obscene amount of money.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Hughlander posted:

It could be as few as zero?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Soylent Pudding posted:

further evidence that people with master's degrees are the dumbest fuckers on the planet (source: me, a master's holder/dumbass)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Barry Bluejeans posted:

further evidence that people with master's degrees are the dumbest fuckers on the planet (source: me, a master's holder/dumbass)

I have one too and I've never hung either the photo or the thing itself because the photo's awful and the thing itself is in a madly tacky, lumpy gold frame.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
AITA for accidentally embarrassing my roommate on a zoom call?

quote:

I [f22] live with three roommates in a shared house.

After someone moved out, we had a new roommate move in a month ago, Jessie [f26].

Jessie seemed okay at first.

There's a small but gross problem, though. We share one bathroom, and me and my other roommates noticed that Jessie **never** flushes the toilet after using it.

We thought maybe Jessie is just forgetful or is some eco warrior trying to save water. One of my roommates confronted Jessie and she just changed the subject and it got really awkward.

Yesterday afternoon, I went into the bathroom and found a pile of poo poo in the toilet with skidders all around it and had just about enough.

Without really thinking, I yelled at the top of my lungs: "JESSIE, CAN YOU PLEASE FLUSH THE TOILET AFTER YOU'VE USED IT, THIS IS DISGUSTING".

I didn't hear a reply but just went about the rest of my day.

Well, later that evening, Jessie told me that she was on a zoom meeting with her boss in her room and that her boss heard me yell.

She was really mad and said I embarrassed her. I apologised for embarrassing her, I had no idea she was on a zoom call and wouldn't have done it if I knew. Jessie is super angry and is acting very passive aggressive towards me and the other roommates.

~~She's also still not flushing the toilet. I have no idea why she doesn't flush and at this point I'm afraid to ask.~~

My other roommates think that what I did was stupid and that I was being a jerk. I told some of my friends about this and they think Jessie deserved to be embarrassed.

Was I the AH?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Propaniac posted:

Sorry Jessie, you can't go through life blissfully leaving toilets unflushed without a price. You had to know there'd be a reckoning

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

quote:

I have no idea why she doesn't flush and at this point I'm afraid to ask.~~

New title material

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

just trying to keep my poo poo schedule a secret from the sewer monsters so they don't come up and bite my rear end when I flush

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

When my husband and I were house-shopping in 2002, we were shown a ghastly bungalow remake in Palo Alto: take a bungalow, slap an enormous cathedral-ceiling thing on the back, make no attempt to harmonize the two.

Bay Area real estate.txt

:retrogames::retrogames::cripes:

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Barry Bluejeans posted:

It's true, I have TWO masters degrees and I am even more stupid

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

tinytort posted:

The daughter is 16. I'm betting he's giving it 2 more years for his wife to get her poo poo together, to make sure the daughter will never be forced to spend time with someone who might easily decide that a conversion camp is the solution.

This is a good course of action, frankly. If they are American, a woman has to be either dead or actively stab the judge during court or something for a man to be awarded custody. It's the hosed up result of institutionalized misogyny.

It gets really weird when teens are involved, as well.

I've seen courts choose a woman with no high school diploma or prospects in life over a father that had an established career, great track record and bright future. In the end, turns out the mom got caught up in religion, and had her kid "correctively" raped by the loving preachers. I remember how devestated the father was when he found out. Dude doesn't really "get" trans things, but he's doing his best to connect with his son, these days. :unsmith:

The guy in the story is saving his kid from something very real by enduring his wife a bit longer. Usually I don't say "stay together for the kids," but this is a matter of safety.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Propaniac posted:

My prediction: mom always flushed for her and she doesn't know how and is too embarrassed to ask.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Soylent Pudding posted:

the only diploma i've ever had hung up on my wall was someone else's master's in psychology that got delivered to me when i lived in student housing. i sent it back and told them to use whatever forwarding address the guy had left. they then mailed it back to me so i framed it and kept it hung up in case he came looking. several years later i lost it betting on the super bowl.

wherever tatsuya is now, i'm glad he's not as egotistical as this husband.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

hawowanlawow posted:

just trying to keep my poo poo schedule a secret from the sewer monsters so they don't come up and bite my rear end when I flush

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Propaniac posted:

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

CaptainViolence posted:

the only diploma i've ever had hung up on my wall was someone else's master's in psychology that got delivered to me when i lived in student housing. i sent it back and told them to use whatever forwarding address the guy had left. they then mailed it back to me so i framed it and kept it hung up in case he came looking. several years later i lost it betting on the super bowl.

wherever tatsuya is now, i'm glad he's not as egotistical as this husband.

My parents got my law degree and call certificates framed for me despite me asking them not to. I've worked at like 4 law firms since then and never once put them up, they're currently under my bed, where they'll be till we move.

Also, content:

My [27F] wife is made at me [28M] that I put her father [55M] in jail.

We have a 4 year old son together and my wife's dad was watching him. I caught him kicking our son just because he accidentally peed in his underwear. When I rushed to tell him to stop, he responded by brutally attacking me and I had to defend myself when he pulled a knife out on me He was arrested but my wife is mad at me for resorting to cops instead of talking like men and is threatening to not only divorce but obtain full custody.

How do I get her to back off and calm down?

just chillin, watching my grandson, with a knife on my belt.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Barudak posted:

I can't remember the quote/phrase but it was something like "To the Americans, it was just another hill, but to the Vietnamese who fought and died for it, that was home"

Why would you compare this story to the genocide and war crimes of the Vietnam war? What the gently caress is wrong with you to think that'd be appropriate? Sometimes you don't gotta post some things.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Murder your father-in-law. He'll be out of your hair, your wife will respect you, and you already know she won't go to the cops. Win-win

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

My prediction: mom always flushed for her and she doesn't know how and is too embarrassed to ask.

I will only accept "can't figure out how" as an answer if it turns out OP has some kind of cybertoilet that requires biometric identification or a complex passcode to flush it

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

olylifter posted:

My parents got my law degree and call certificates framed for me despite me asking them not to. I've worked at like 4 law firms since then and never once put them up, they're currently under my bed, where they'll be till we move.

Also, content:

My [27F] wife is made at me [28M] that I put her father [55M] in jail.

We have a 4 year old son together and my wife's dad was watching him. I caught him kicking our son just because he accidentally peed in his underwear. When I rushed to tell him to stop, he responded by brutally attacking me and I had to defend myself when he pulled a knife out on me He was arrested but my wife is mad at me for resorting to cops instead of talking like men and is threatening to not only divorce but obtain full custody.

How do I get her to back off and calm down?

just chillin, watching my grandson, with a knife on my belt.

Looks like just a honeypot to complain about divorce courts.

quote:

I'm employed too but courts favor the mom unless she is directly abusive or can't support herself

quote:

If she gets full custody, then even my attempts to stop contact from the son to her father could be seen as too controlling

quote:

She can lie to the courts and say she doesn't plan on having him around and then do so

quote:

I am aware CPS is already involved but since she isn't abusive and we divorce, she can claim full custody

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

value-brand cereal posted:

Why would you compare this story to the genocide and war crimes of the Vietnam war? What the gently caress is wrong with you to think that'd be appropriate? Sometimes you don't gotta post some things.

Barudak is a good and kind poster, I'm sure they didn't post with poor intentions. It's an illustrative analogy for how values can really hinge on perspective. We all think the US is a steaming dumpster of a destructive nation, let's not jump on each other based on the worst possible interpretations. If you think it's an inappropriate analogy at least be nice and constructive with your response

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

AITA for giving my male friend an audiobook with my own voice?

quote:

I (F18) have a friend, Tom (M18) who has a girlfriend, Anna (F19). I know Tom since we were both 13. Our friendship isn't and never was sexual/romantic in any way (and yes, I'm sure there was/is no one-sided crush on his part).

For some reason Tom enjoys listening to my voice, I don't really know why (I hate to listen to my own recordings) but he thinks it's soothing. Ever since I can remember he has bad case of insomnia and when we were younger he used to call me and I just talked some nonsense until he was asleep. Nowadays he also does it once in a while but only when things are really bad for him. It's weird but I know how deteriorating sleep problems can be so I don't really mind.

Tom's also a big fan of Harry Potter series so for his 18th birthday I made him audiobooks. I recorded everything myself, it took literally dozens of hours of recording and even more when it comes to editing, adding music and so on. But it was worth it as 18th birthday is a big deal after all, at least in our country, and I had no money to buy him a really good or big present. He was thrilled, so I thought that it was a good idea, after all.

However, few days later Anna called me, very angry, and accused me that I try to steal Tom for myself (I definitely don't), I behave creepy and I severely crossed the line giving him something so personal. I never wanted to put a damper on their relationship, only wanted to make something special for my friend's important birthday. I tried to explain her so but she was only shouting at me and told me I have to take the recordings back and give Tom a "normal" present. I refused, because in my opinion the only person who has a saying in this matter is Tom himself.

Long story short it turned into a huge drama because she tried to set some of our mutual friends against me because of that. Most of them agree with me but some think that what I did really was weird, not because of present itself but because Tom is in a relationship.

AITA?

I don't know if she means the entire series or just one book but wouldn't it actually take like, hundreds of hours to do a DIY audiobook

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

I don't know if she means the entire series or just one book but wouldn't it actually take like, hundreds of hours to do a DIY audiobook

yeah that's a LOT of work, especially for someone that's not a voice actor or editor

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

Yeah, it'd be a ton of time going into a present for just a regular friend. The shortest one would be a good ten hours or so of pure reading, and I don't even know how many times you'd multiply that by for mistakes, retries, editing, etc. A lot.

Hell, I saw a blog post by a professional author who wrote about just trying to track and organize all the files for one book, and it sounded like an ungodly nightmare.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

Depends on how good you wanted it and how long the book was. If you were just doing a few takes and didn't edit much because you weren't going for something professional, and you were reasonably familiar with editing software, I could see it being fairly quick.

Think quality of "recording yourself reading a bedtime story to someone" not "professional audiobook".

I think when I tried to do it for a girlfriend ages back it was like 20-30 hours for a Pratchett book, but I was just out of high school and it sounded pretty poo poo anyway.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Barudak posted:

Oh for sure. Hasbro alone puts out around 30-40 figures a year just in collector-focused retail lines. Factor in exclusive repaints, Japan-only special toolings, Masterpiece-grade collectables, smaller robots packed in as accessories or sold in multi-packe, "third party" knockoffs with unique engineering and *their* alternate color schemes... you could easily accumulate 60-100 figures ranging from 2 to 20 inches tall each year, finances notwithstanding.

Source: my apartment.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Barudak posted:

Apparently more than meets the eye.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh for sure. Hasbro alone puts out around 30-40 figures a year just in collector-focused retail lines. Factor in exclusive repaints, Japan-only special toolings, Masterpiece-grade collectables, smaller robots packed in as accessories or sold in multi-packe, "third party" knockoffs with unique engineering and *their* alternate color schemes... you could easily accumulate 60-100 figures ranging from 2 to 20 inches tall each year, finances notwithstanding.

Source: my apartment.

You're costing that guy his sophomore year body count, you rear end in a top hat!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I dunno if I have a thousand in my current possession but you could probably say 1-2k have passed through my *lifetime* ownership.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
harry_potter_philosophers_stone_complete_asmr.mp3

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Edit is not quote goddamnit awful app

E: anyway, we don’t need to post a story with pretty bad child abuse in it

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

haveblue posted:

harry_potter_philosophers_stone_complete_asmr.mp3

I feel like I once saw an entire ASMR reading of Hamilton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Soylent Pudding posted:

I feel like I once saw an entire ASMR reading of Hamilton.

the cursed thread is over there