Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

oh, guess this hasn't been mentioned yet: bunch of folks have been arrested and are being investigated over olympics graft https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2022/09/05/national/tokyo-olympics-bribery-scandal-daiko/

quote:

The corruption case involving a powerful former Tokyo Olympics organizing committee executive continued to widen Monday, with prosecutors raiding the offices of Osaka-based advertising firm Daiko on suspicion of bribery.

The raid came as the Tokyo District Public Prosecutor’s Office announced it was looking into allegations that Daiko provided at least ¥14 million to a firm run by an acquaintance of Haruyuki Takahashi, 78, a former organizing committee official who ran his own consultancy firm, in exchange for favorable treatment. Neither the firm nor the acquaintance have been publicly named, but a portion of the money is believed to have been transferred to Takahashi.

Takahashi has already been arrested on suspicion of receiving a total of roughly ¥51 million from former Aoki Holdings chairman Hironori Aoki and two company executives, with prosecutors believing the payments were made in order to ensure the company was named as the official supplier of the formal uniforms worn by Japanese Olympics and Paralympics athletes and officials at last year’s Games. Takahashi denies the charges.

But prosecutors are now looking into whether Takahashi and his acquaintance may have pressured the organizing committee to hire Daiko as an agent when it selected one of the firm’s clients as an Olympics and Paralympics sponsor. Kyodo has reported that the unnamed client became a sponsor in 2018. Daiko is suspected of providing at least ¥14 million over three payments to the firm run by Takahashi’s acquaintance.

Daiko was established in 1944 but became a wholly owned subsidiary of Hakuhodo DY Holdings in 2003. It had sales of ¥28 billion for the fiscal year ending in March.

Monday’s raid of Daiko, which also included the company’s Tokyo office, is the latest chapter in the growing Olympics-related scandal. Late last week, reports emerged that the Kadokawa publishing company had paid ¥70 million to a firm run by a Takahashi acquaintance — the same firm that received money from Daiko. It was paid after Kadokawa joined the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics as a sponsor in April 2019, giving the company the right to publish the official guidebooks for both events.

On Monday afternoon, Kadokawa Chairman Tsuguhiko Kadokawa told reporters that there was absolutely no recognition on his part that the money constituted a bribe, saying that it was a consultancy fee.

And in a development that could have national political implications, former Prime Minister Yoshiro Mori, who for a time headed the Tokyo Organising Committee, is believed by prosecutors to have received cash from Aoki Holdings for purposes that continue to be investigated.

Mori — who was forced to resign as committee president in February 2021, just six months before the delayed Tokyo Olympics kicked off, due to sexist comments — has denied that he spoke to Aoki Holdings regarding Olympics sponsorship.

The 85-year-old Mori served as prime minister in 2000 and 2001, and once ran the Liberal Democratic Party faction most recently headed by the late former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, the party’s largest. He remains a powerful behind-the-scenes figure in Japanese politics and the Japanese sports world. As one of its most senior leaders, his influence in the faction — which is currently debating new leadership after Abe was assassinated in Nara on July 8 — remains particularly strong.

Mori also once served as president of Japan Rugby Football Union, before resigning just before the 2019 World Cup, which he is credited with helping bring to Japan, due to what he said were health reasons.

As the bribery scandal continues with no end in sight, officials in Sapporo are particularly worried about how it will affect their bid for the 2030 Winter Olympics and Paralympics. On Monday, the city announced that a planned visit by Mayor Katsuhiro Akimoto to the International Olympic Committee headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland, to meet with IOC president Thomas Bach would not take place.

The request to postpone came from the IOC and was unconnected to the bribery allegations surrounding Takahashi, Sapporo officials said. No new date for a meeting has been set. The IOC is expected to finalize the 2030 candidate cities by the end of this year, and the winner will be formally chosen in May of next year.
lol, mori

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mr. Fix It posted:

how much of that is going to Sakura wo Miru Kai buddies?

rhetorical question. the answer is most of it
As a non-Japanese, it’s surprising to see that an outside company would be running and managing a state funeral. I’m used to various government agencies planning and running all state functions (they may contract out some minor functions like basic crowd control or back up security to a third party).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

oh, guess this hasn't been mentioned yet: bunch of folks have been arrested and are being investigated over olympics graft https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2022/09/05/national/tokyo-olympics-bribery-scandal-daiko/

lol, mori

I definitely chuckled when I saw that Mori was getting caught up in it too.

[Edit] vvvvvv it’s links to companies that were local sponsors of the Tokyo Olympics (in particular suit and business wear brand Aoki), not the IOC level ones.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 6, 2022

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
prosecuting crimes related to graft for the olympics, what?

does japan not understand the purpose of the IOC or FIFA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr. Apollo posted:

As a non-Japanese, it’s surprising to see that an outside company would be running and managing a state funeral. I’m used to various government agencies planning and running all state functions (they may contract out some minor functions like basic crowd control or back up security to a third party).

Neoliberalism gets to everything eventually. Might be considering the surrounding circumstances, outsourcing it is the politically convenient option because no one in government wants their fingerprints on that mess.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mr. Fix It posted:

it's in a lot of the news coverage about the fallout from the Abe assassination. if you want something predating it, here's a paper from 2001 about Kishi and the 1955 System that mentions the Unification Church: https://www.gwern.net/docs/japanese/2001-12-samuels-kishiandcorruptionananatomyofthe1955system.html

this obit is a good primer on Moon and his church's funding of death squads: https://m.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL1209/S00029/reverend-moon-cult-leader-cia-asset-and-bush-family-friend.htm

Related haunted image

https://mobile.twitter.com/Andrew_Levidis/status/1565858156160266242

See if you can name all the people in that photo

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

VSOKUL girl posted:

prosecuting crimes related to graft for the olympics, what?

does japan not understand the purpose of the IOC or FIFA

Mori ranting and pacing back and forth in his office like Clay Davis

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Rochallor posted:

Mori ranting and pacing back and forth in his office like Clay Davis

kusssssssssoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Mr. Fix It posted:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

:haibrow:

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Shinzo Abe's funeral will cost 12 million dollars. So, like, do they have state funerals for every ex-PM? Because they have a lot of them so this could add up.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Lammasu posted:

Shinzo Abe's funeral will cost 12 million dollars. So, like, do they have state funerals for every ex-PM? Because they have a lot of them so this could add up.

make the Moonies pay for it

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
FNN broke the news that Japan will remove visa requirements for tourists coming from previously visa-free countries. They're also looking to remove the foreigner entry cap.

What is going on, is the economy taking that bad of a hit?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

need some foreign capital to keep the yen from furthering weakening, i think. i dunno, i don't know macroeconomics

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
From a completely selfish position I'll take it, I recently moved away and I have so much yen that I don't want to convert. When I first moved to Japan it was 75 yen to the dollar!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Asteroid Alert posted:

FNN broke the news that Japan will remove visa requirements for tourists coming from previously visa-free countries. They're also looking to remove the foreigner entry cap.

What is going on, is the economy taking that bad of a hit?

Short answer: Yes

It is a similar story to a lot of the larger economies where GDP is recovering, it isn’t translating to actual growth. Global inflation hasn’t hit Japan, yet, but their economists are expecting it to happen, and with the weakening of the yen over the last couple years, it’s going to suck harder when it does.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 12, 2022

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Speaking of tourism, I'd like to visit Japan one day but I'm on Adderall which is completely illegal in Japan. I can't go to a Japanese prison, I've seen Ricky-O. Anyone have any advice for this?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Simply become a famous Olympic athlete.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I think if you have a prescription and are a tourist it’ll be fine. Also they probably won’t check your bag. But you should check all of that on a Japanese customs website. You are certainly not the first person to pose this question

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Simply become a famous Olympic athlete.

Are jerking off and playing video games an Olympic sport? Because if so I'm at a Morty level.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lammasu posted:

Are jerking off and playing video games an Olympic sport? Because if so I'm at a Morty level.

Depends. Beating Elden Ring as you bring yourself to completion? That's absolutely an Olympic-level effort. Separately... I'm not sure.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Lammasu posted:

Speaking of tourism, I'd like to visit Japan one day but I'm on Adderall which is completely illegal in Japan. I can't go to a Japanese prison, I've seen Ricky-O. Anyone have any advice for this?

To my understanding stimulants like Adderall are completely prohibited. You do have non stimulant options for ADHD but, as someone on bupropion, they aren't as effective.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

captkirk posted:

To my understanding stimulants like Adderall are completely prohibited. You do have non stimulant options for ADHD but, as someone on bupropion, they aren't as effective.

Yeah. The amphetamine ban is over 70 years old at this point. Furthermore, Japan had an issue with speed being rampant in the 80s due to the yakuza and therefore doubled down. They allow a Ritalin variant called Concerta, but it's strictly controlled (you have to both hold a health insurance card in Japan and have a physician's referral to receive it, and a tourist isn't going to have the former).

Japan's Narcotics Control Department is extremely clear that Adderall is prohibited so petitioning them in advance isn't going to get you anywhere. It does suggest Vyanse as an alternative, though.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Navaash posted:

Yeah. The amphetamine ban is over 70 years old at this point. Furthermore, Japan had an issue with speed being rampant in the 80s due to the yakuza and therefore doubled down. They allow a Ritalin variant called Concerta, but it's strictly controlled (you have to both hold a health insurance card in Japan and have a physician's referral to receive it, and a tourist isn't going to have the former).

Japan's Narcotics Control Department is extremely clear that Adderall is prohibited so petitioning them in advance isn't going to get you anywhere. It does suggest Vyanse as an alternative, though.

So, can I bring concerta into Japan if I have all the right paperwork?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I think you can bring up to a month without paperwork, but it's better to have it just in case.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Fun fact, amphetamines are banned in Japan because during WWII most of the nation was wired on them and didn't stop after the war was over. Even after the ban was in place in the 50's, legitimate companies were still producing them and unloading them on the black market. After one company got a slap on the wrist fine for doing this, lawmakers went nuclear because it became a party drug for all night partying. It was like the opioid crisis today but with meth because the government was handing them out like candy to soldiers and factory workers. The postwar work culture continued to push their abuse as well but the club scene was definitely what got lawmakers going.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Fun fact, amphetamines are banned in Japan because during WWII most of the nation was wired on them and didn't stop after the war was over. Even after the ban was in place in the 50's, legitimate companies were still producing them and unloading them on the black market. After one company got a slap on the wrist fine for doing this, lawmakers went nuclear because it became a party drug for all night partying. It was like the opioid crisis today but with meth because the government was handing them out like candy to soldiers and factory workers. The postwar work culture continued to push their abuse as well but the club scene was definitely what got lawmakers going.

From what I understand didn't Imperial Japan invent meth?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lammasu posted:

From what I understand didn't Imperial Japan invent meth?

Ephedra had been used for centuries as a stimulant tea but it wasn't really discovered what gave it the kick until the 1920's when a Japanese scientist, Nagai Nagayoshi, extracted Ephedrine from it. A number of scientists around the world synthesized amphetamines, Akira Ogata synthesized methamphetamine in 1919, but Smith, Kline, & French was the first company to actually market and sell it as Benzedrine in 1933 as a decongestant. In 1938, the German company Temmler began selling Pervitin, which was their variant and as pep pills, and they're the ones famous from WWII. The Japanese began using them soon after the Germans and the Allied nations started experimenting with them. The Japanese also had a green tea mixed tablet of meth they gave soldiers before they went on suicide charges. After the war in the US and Western Europe they were usually sold as diet pills and for "depression" because the drug companies were doing that stuff even back then.

You could still buy Ephedra from the Traditional Chinese Medicine merchants, in China, a decade ago. I had some friends who used it and they all spent a couple nights cranked up so it wasn't much different than the pills, just less convenient.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 13, 2022

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Is this thread dead or a new one? It's just weird how the thread to the politics of an entire nation just suddenly stopped around September

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Too many old people..

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

japanese politics are boring. the current government, headed by Fumio Kishida of the Liberal Democratic Party, is vaguely unpopular at the moment for two pieces of fallout from the Abe assassination: their extensive ties to the Moonies have been in the headlines and they held a state funeral for Abe despite it being highly unpopular. the most recent NHK approval poll has them five points underwater, 38%-43%. this doesn't matter tho, cuz they don't have to hold an election in the lower (more powerful) house of representatives until october 2025 and the next house of councilors election won't happen until july 2025. based on nothing but vibes, i would predict that there will be another cabinet reshuffle sometime between the close of the current special session of the diet and the opening of the regular session in january, probably closer to the latter.

interesting (?) stuff for the near future:

the ldp, as ever, might try to amend the japanese constitution, probably just by adding a mention of the self defense forces and their legitimacy. my feeling is that they wasted any possible momentum for this on throwing Abe's going away bash and will maintain the LDP status quo of the last 15 years or so of saying they'll amend the constitution and just keep punting. i think they would fail to get the public to vote for an amendment regardless of if their approval recovers.

the opposition parties will continue to be feckless and ineffective. only thing that could deliver them electoral victory is a perfect storm of scandal, economic calamity and an actually charismatic face for the coalition. hoping for a reverse jinx, but the LDP will remain in power for the foreseeable future and probably until earth death.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Mr. Fix It posted:

japanese politics are boring. the current government, headed by Fumio Kishida of the Liberal Democratic Party, is vaguely unpopular at the moment for two pieces of fallout from the Abe assassination: their extensive ties to the Moonies have been in the headlines and they held a state funeral for Abe despite it being highly unpopular. the most recent NHK approval poll has them five points underwater, 38%-43%. this doesn't matter tho, cuz they don't have to hold an election in the lower (more powerful) house of representatives until october 2025 and the next house of councilors election won't happen until july 2025. based on nothing but vibes, i would predict that there will be another cabinet reshuffle sometime between the close of the current special session of the diet and the opening of the regular session in january, probably closer to the latter.

interesting (?) stuff for the near future:

the ldp, as ever, might try to amend the japanese constitution, probably just by adding a mention of the self defense forces and their legitimacy. my feeling is that they wasted any possible momentum for this on throwing Abe's going away bash and will maintain the LDP status quo of the last 15 years or so of saying they'll amend the constitution and just keep punting. i think they would fail to get the public to vote for an amendment regardless of if their approval recovers.

the opposition parties will continue to be feckless and ineffective. only thing that could deliver them electoral victory is a perfect storm of scandal, economic calamity and an actually charismatic face for the coalition. hoping for a reverse jinx, but the LDP will remain in power for the foreseeable future and probably until earth death.
I don't know if I would call Japanese politics boring. I think like a lot of things Japanese; it's usually quit but when it goes crazy it goes crazy. I can't think of another example of a former chief executive being gunned down and the public response is, "That assassin had a point"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lammasu posted:

I don't know if I would call Japanese politics boring. I think like a lot of things Japanese; it's usually quit but when it goes crazy it goes crazy. I can't think of another example of a former chief executive being gunned down and the public response is, "That assassin had a point"
Yeah that's really the wildest part of this. Are the Moonies that bad in Japan?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Lammasu posted:

Wasn't that a common reaction in Japan in the 1920s and 30s?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

Yeah that's really the wildest part of this. Are the Moonies that bad in Japan?

I mean, they apparently targeted getting 30 billion yen / $210 mil USD per year in donations from Japan alone, and considering how that money is made, yes, that seems pretty bad.

quote:

During consultations with the children of Unification Church followers, Sakurai apparently met many people who said that their parents' donations triggered a collapse in family finances, and interfered with their daily lives and academic careers. He encountered many cases where second-generation followers faced issues of parents creating debt with credit cards under their children's names, becoming unable to confront relatives as their parents have borrowed excessive amounts of money, and shouldering debts on behalf of parents.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Lammasu posted:

I'm of the opinion the assassination is what Abe would have wanted. He was all about going back to the Beautiful Country of the early 20th century when Men Were Men and Men Whose Name Was Kishi was in charge of things, as it should be. Assassination was all part of the game back then so he must be smiling down on the guy who did his patriotic bit :)7

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i suppose from the outside that's all p interesting, but living in it, even as someone without the franchise, somehow makes it boring. i don't think being able to vote makes a huge difference on that, tho. voter turnout is way down.

turnout for the last two house of councilors elections were 48.80% and 52.05%, the second and fourth lowest on record, respectively.

objectively interesting poo poo is happening, but the zeitgeist seems to be it won't change who's in power or how they'll wield it. it could be that the feeling is wrong and will be proven so shortly.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is more economics than politics, but I don’t totally get why Japan is so loving psyched to have inflation finally hit a positive number. They’re just finding out that wages aren’t keeping up so everyone is just earning less and spending more. I get the problems of deflation but the central bank cheering on inflation is still just the weirdest thing to me.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Vegetable posted:

This is more economics than politics, but I don’t totally get why Japan is so loving psyched to have inflation finally hit a positive number. They’re just finding out that wages aren’t keeping up so everyone is just earning less and spending more. I get the problems of deflation but the central bank cheering on inflation is still just the weirdest thing to me.

Modern economics 101 says that you need some inflation to drive investment to make the economy grow. No inflation means less pressure for money to flow into investments since it's not gonna lose any of its value just sitting in a bank account. ECB, for example, has attempted to keep Eurozone inflation at around 2%, high enough to incentivize investment but low enough to maintain price stability and therefore keeping the labour markets relatively calm. Whether you think this is sound macroeconomic theory is up to you, but it's why Japan's central bank would celebrate inflation after years of deflation - to them it's a signal that the economy is on a genuine growth track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's always wild to me that a country like Japan with its insane amount of exports still has basically the world's worst debt-to-GDP ratio. I know it's a hangover from the crash of the 90s but it's just an unbelievable amount of debt that I feel should have been eaten into much deeper by now.