Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Helianthus Annuus posted:

What size frets do people like? Lately I've been playing an electric guitar that happens to have jumbo frets, and I miss them when I go to my acoustic, which has smaller frets.

The reason I'm asking is because I have a cheap and old Stratocaster clone, and I think I would like it a lot better if it had larger frets. But I don't know enough about lutherie to know how to choose an aftermarket guitar neck. Replacing the frets is a big job, and so is scalloping.

Any suggestions for me? It would be nice to have one with jumbo frets and carbon fiber reinforcement rods. Or maybe even scalloped fingerboard?

I’d talk to a luthier, but my guess would be your most affordable option might be a refret and some scalloping of the stock neck. Playing left-handed might skew this even further in that direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

What size frets do people like? Lately I've been playing an electric guitar that happens to have jumbo frets, and I miss them when I go to my acoustic, which has smaller frets.

The reason I'm asking is because I have a cheap and old Stratocaster clone, and I think I would like it a lot better if it had larger frets. But I don't know enough about lutherie to know how to choose an aftermarket guitar neck. Replacing the frets is a big job, and so is scalloping.

Any suggestions for me? It would be nice to have one with jumbo frets and carbon fiber reinforcement rods. Or maybe even scalloped fingerboard?
Yeah the cost of a refret on a really cheap instrument is liable to chafe. I'd recommend looking for used necks online or buy a reasonably-priced replacement with the wire and treatment you want. Have you tried scalloped fretboards yet? My experience was it felt wrong until it clicked and after that I was way into it. But not enough to scallop a neck. I have a lot of necks and only the top three frets are scalloped on two of 'em.
Finding a neck for a Strat clone is one of the easier things to do, you can pull that off for sure.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah, really I’d be curious about a fret level and setup. Maybe put a customized Warmoth on a Fender instead.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Get some cheap beater guitars and learn to level/crown and do setups yourself! It's not that crazy and it's nice being able to tweak your guitars to be as playable as they possibly can be without having to pay someone else money to do it, and they may not even set it up how you specifically like it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Speaking of, I'm not as well acquainted with modern 7 string metal as I am with my favorites, so if anyone has any songs in Drop F#, or for later one when I do A# standard/Drop G#, that have sick riffs, let me know. So far Holy Roller is the main thing I'm excited to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZMg9ryeWOw

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Narrow Tall have become my favorite

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I had a surprise NGD today. My dad came by and gave me a Gibson SG with P90s. It's pretty sick

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I had a surprise NGD today. My dad came by and gave me a Gibson SG with P90s. It's pretty sick

Well drat.

Pics?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Wouldn't those squiggly fret true temperament guitars only sound good in some keys and make it sound worse in others? Do you have to pick squiggle styles based on a couple of keys you want to play in? Would changing tunings and string gauges gently caress up your perfect squiggle tuning or intonation?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Wouldn't those squiggly fret true temperament guitars only sound good in some keys and make it sound worse in others? Do you have to pick squiggle styles based on a couple of keys you want to play in? Would changing tunings and string gauges gently caress up your perfect squiggle tuning or intonation?

They use a Thiddell formula 1 temperament which apparently works in all keys but it's optimize for the open position keys.

http://www.guyguitars.com/truetemperament/eng/tt_techdetails.html

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
That high-pitched sound is Pat Finnerty squealing while laughing his rear end off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRNN3V3PVDs

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Pat had Justin on his show before, I think during the Kravitz Bowl?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Pat had Justin on his show before, I think during the Kravitz Bowl?

the Kid Rock episode

but yeah, I’m p sure they’re buds irl

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

2nd new guitar day in a row today, got a Squier CV 60's fretless jazz bass. It's awesome

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That sounds killer. Enjoy those slides.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

August is falling were on Apples new rock playlist too, hot tub is incoming.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I wish Pat the best hot tub money can by, but its sad to see people in comment sections with no sense of keeping the joke grounded. Shut the gently caress up about them visiting you after you fell in a vat of acid and cool it with the Beato references!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

I wish Pat the best hot tub money can by, but its sad to see people in comment sections with no sense of keeping the joke grounded. Shut the gently caress up about them visiting you after you fell in a vat of acid and cool it with the Beato references!

for real

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
There's something incredibly satisfying about a well set up cheap guitar.

I took my Squier VM Strat (stock vintage trem set for no up travel, no locking nut or tuners) out last night and really ragged the poo poo out of the bar for a solo. Repeatedly down to full slack for stupid motorcycle noises and then yanking it back up for siren sounds, but came back up perfectly in tune with zero issues.

For reference I was actually doing the solo section from this but without a ring mod, rather than a hair metal vibe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBf1E4u1GLY

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

ColdPie posted:

I saw this on Rhett's channel and it's so good.

yep, if i could play like anybody i'd be julian. excited for the new record, i preordered

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I found out last night that he's playing a show here in the Twin Cities next weekend... but I'm going to be out of town :negative:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ok Comboomer posted:

the Kid Rock episode

but yeah, I’m p sure they’re buds irl

I figure either that or he's just pretty cheap on Cameo.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I learned 28 chords today!

It's pretty fun going from knowing like a dozen chords max and all of sudden expanding that 3-fold when you learn how to do minor/aug/dim.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Baron von Eevl posted:

Think they're mates, a quick Google search brings up that Pat was guest guitarist for the Darkness for some shows in 2015.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I find Justin pretty cool despite myself. He has that "Verily, it is I" way of speaking that triggers my fight-or-flight, and The Darkness' whole thing turns me off, but he seems genuine and I find myself liking his videos.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

BizarroAzrael posted:

Think they're mates, a quick Google search brings up that Pat was guest guitarist for the Darkness for some shows in 2015.

Also through cameo

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

judging by the pricing on his Patreon tiers you may be right!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize until quite recently that you could just buy B-Stock instruments directly from G&L https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/instruments

Right now, they have the butterscotch tele (made in Indonesia) for 400 bux! This is the same as mine (which I love to play) except this one looks better, because it has a rib bevel (for comfort) and the strings go thru the body instead of just thru the bridge. I guess this one is cheaper than the one I have, because it has scratches on the neck plate and body (who cares).

drat, I want to buy this guitar again.. but no... someone else should have it instead! There's also a lefty strat on there for 480 -- I imagine it's hard to find good deals on legit instruments if you play lefty. Hope this helps someone!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

nitsuga posted:

I’d talk to a luthier, but my guess would be your most affordable option might be a refret and some scalloping of the stock neck. Playing left-handed might skew this even further in that direction.

Thanks for replying to me. You're right that replacement necks are probably too expensive. I've thought about it, and the guitar i have in mind is just way too much of a piece of poo poo to spend any amount of money on (it was my very first guitar, and it was about 100 dollars.... in 2008!). So, if this is happening, i'm doing the scallop job myself with hand tools.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Yeah the cost of a refret on a really cheap instrument is liable to chafe. I'd recommend looking for used necks online or buy a reasonably-priced replacement with the wire and treatment you want. Have you tried scalloped fretboards yet? My experience was it felt wrong until it clicked and after that I was way into it. But not enough to scallop a neck. I have a lot of necks and only the top three frets are scalloped on two of 'em.
Finding a neck for a Strat clone is one of the easier things to do, you can pull that off for sure.

I haven't played a scalloped neck before, but I think I would like it, since I enjoy those jumbo frets.

Former guitar thread poster Gnumonic was the thread expert on scalloping, and in March 2020, he said he was working on a DIY scallop project, but no updates since then. Please come back Gnu, and tell me how the project went! I'm sorry I invented and then laughed at a hypothetical scenario where you scalloped your classical guitar!

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Narrow Tall have become my favorite

Cool, I didn't even know that was an option :cheers:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I hope you'll all forgive me crossposting it but I'm selling my helix LT and figured some folks here might be tempted by the price. Goon discount applied, you won't find a functioning one listed cheaper.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012294

e:
also unrelated but NGD, this thing arrived right after I posted:

Holy poo poo is it light and the neck thin. It makes my fender MIM neck feel like a goddamned log in comparison. Doesn't have quite the same growl you can get from a strat (presumably because of the weight difference) but I can already tell with the shredder neck and superstrat contours they put on this that I'll be wanting to play it plenty. If nothing else, it's a super solid backup.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 13, 2022

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of lefties, I taught a first lesson to one of my wife's piano students who saw one of mine on a stand and asked about it. He's a great kid, maybe 20, autistic and taking piano with my wife has really just opened him up. His all-time favorite band is the Trans Siberian Orchestra, and I flipped the amp over to ubermetal preset and played like, 5 notes of carol of the bells and he about levitated. It was great. Teaching someone like that seems like a lot of fun. I am pretty sure he fell in love, but also is a lefty and I could see him struggling a bit with my righty.

I know his mom is going to come back next week and ask me to help her buy something, but drat you have REALLY slim pickins on new lefties under $800. And I know their guitar/amp budget is going to be more like $500-600.

I'd rather not tell them to get something used. I can do a basic setup on one for him, though, so maybe an amazon special is really what he needs.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There are many left handed guitarists that play righty. It's allowed. I wish I had learned righty myself.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Huxley posted:

Speaking of lefties, I taught a first lesson to one of my wife's piano students who saw one of mine on a stand and asked about it. He's a great kid, maybe 20, autistic and taking piano with my wife has really just opened him up. His all-time favorite band is the Trans Siberian Orchestra, and I flipped the amp over to ubermetal preset and played like, 5 notes of carol of the bells and he about levitated. It was great. Teaching someone like that seems like a lot of fun. I am pretty sure he fell in love, but also is a lefty and I could see him struggling a bit with my righty.

I know his mom is going to come back next week and ask me to help her buy something, but drat you have REALLY slim pickins on new lefties under $800. And I know their guitar/amp budget is going to be more like $500-600.

I'd rather not tell them to get something used. I can do a basic setup on one for him, though, so maybe an amazon special is really what he needs.

no lefty Squiers or Epis in that budget?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Huxley posted:

I’d advise just having him learn right-handed. If you’re just starting out, neither of your hands know what to do anyway and that way you’re not locked into lefty guitars for life. Honestly I think I might’ve had an easier time fretting with my dominant hand anyway, despite being right handed.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Huxley posted:

Ah, with these criteria you absolutely want to be looking at Thomann's selection of Harley Benton.
https://www.thomannmusic.com/lefthanded_guitars.html?oa=pra&gk=GIEGLH&cme=false&filter=true

People swear by the build quality - they seem to be the modern successor to rondo's SX brand but these look better than those even. I've been eying a few of them myself. Especially if you can do a set-up these are what I would recommend.

And don't let the international shipping scare you - I bought a bass from them just a few weeks ago and they shipped it to me in less than a week. It was baffling.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
See, all that is good to know. I was somehow under the impression that learning righty was just something you did out of necessity and that most people who did would have preferred learning "properly."

If I can just advise them to go get an Affinity and an amp, it'll make things a lot easier.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eeeh, gonna hard disagree with the folks saying just make him learn the other way. I for sure know I couldn't have/wasn't able to.

It's hard for lefties out there, but not nearly as hard as it used to be.
For what it's worth I was around plenty of right handed guitars when I was growing up but I picked them up the other way around. It's just the way it felt natural. Have him do the same, even flip around a right handed guitar for him really quick if you're willing

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Eeeh, gonna hard disagree with the folks saying just make him learn the other way. I for sure know I couldn't have/wasn't able to.

It's hard for lefties out there, but not nearly as hard as it used to be.
For what it's worth I was around plenty of right handed guitars when I was growing up but I picked them up the other way around. It's just the way it felt natural. Have him do the same, even flip around a right handed guitar for him really quick if you're willing

I think that's a fair angle, but I think you're km the minority with that. I'm not saying to make him learn righty, but I'd definitely recommend he try it. Most people won't find one particularly easier or harder than the other if they've never played.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
i think a lot of new lefty guitarists conflate being bad at guitar because they're new with being bad at guitar because they're playing a righty.

you can choose whatever you want, but you basically lock yourself out of used gear if you go lefty, and it's not necessarily a bad thing to have your more dexterous hand fretting. playing guitar will make you more ambidexterous in general, i have a lot more fine motor skills (in my non-dominant hand especially) then i did when i started.

they don't make left-handed versions of the vast majority of instruments, and people figure those out.

creamcorn fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I regret learning lefty for a lot of reasons. I'd recommend anyone new really try righty first, and only give up if lefty totally feels correct.

I'll never find a tangerine burst les Paul in lefty :smith: