Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

https://www.theonion.com/british-people-explain-why-they-support-the-monarchy-1849519359/slides/21

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Haha gently caress

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

whatevah happened to no-bless obleegee.

DominoKitten posted:

you fools you're supposed to GIVE the peasants feasting days during this whole rigamarole not TAKE them away

the bourgeoisie and aristocracy have merged into one class with the worst features of both

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Haha gently caress

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1569755315813457926

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

the queen just died and you want to talk about the cost of living? be grateful you have a cost of living.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the only person who paid the true price for the cost of us all living was our lord and savior jesus christ

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1569677523188940802

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i give it 5 bags of popcorn!

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
hell yeah give me the queen's funeral on IMAX 3D

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

bad guy won at the end 1/5

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Queen died, and Keith doesn't want anybody creating problems other than the Queen must be honored entirely until she's buried, politics is on hold. I disagree!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

bad guy won at the end 1/5

The villain is dead though?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

hell yeah give me the queen's funeral on IMAX 3D

lmao I'm going to see it in 4DX, real tears sprayed in my face and my seat rumbling as the coffin is lowered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN03zZRHSHA

NoneMoreNegative has issued a correction as of 21:06 on Sep 13, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
black ribbon armbands at the concession stand. popcorn jockey tearfully asking if you want the sorrow bucket upgrade

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its disrespectful to talk about cost of "living" when the queen cant live anymore

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Nonsense posted:

The Queen died, and Keith doesn't want anybody creating problems other than the Queen must be honored entirely until she's buried, politics is on hold. I disagree!

Keith is clearing the field so he can tweet out for enforcing this again, preferably against Corbyn

quote:

The Treason Felony Act of 1848 makes it an offence to advocate for the abolition of the monarchy. Such advocation is punishable by up to life imprisonment under the Act. Though still in the statute book, the law is no longer enforced.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Year upon year, only about 20-27% of Britons are in favour of abolishing the monarchy, according to polls. Maintaining a high degree of popularity – or at least indifference – will go down as one of the Queen's successes. This is in spite of figures after Princess Diana's death in 1997 which showed that 70% of Her Majesty's subjects, shocked by her apparent lack of emotion, felt that the sovereign should "retire" to make way for someone younger. "Isn't it time for the Queen to go?" the Daily Mail, no less, asked at the time.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

do you guys think most people would be ok with the monarch just fuckin running the show

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i say swears online posted:

Year upon year, only about 20-27% of Britons are in favour of abolishing the monarchy, according to polls. Maintaining a high degree of popularity – or at least indifference – will go down as one of the Queen's successes. This is in spite of figures after Princess Diana's death in 1997 which showed that 70% of Her Majesty's subjects, shocked by her apparent lack of emotion, felt that the sovereign should "retire" to make way for someone younger. "Isn't it time for the Queen to go?" the Daily Mail, no less, asked at the time.

i looked this up and apparently when lady di died the queen refused to interrupt her vacation 💅

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Maya Fey posted:

i looked this up and apparently when lady di died the queen refused to interrupt her vacation 💅

she needed the alibi

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Der Meister posted:

do you guys think most people would be ok with the monarch just fuckin running the show

They'd loving love it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

uber_stoat posted:

four bags of popcorn and four marmalade sandwiches for Paddington

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

A shame she died after the 3D cinema push failed yet again.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Der Meister posted:

absolutely

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

a royal way to catch COVID

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

mawarannahr posted:

a royal way to catch COVID

lmbo nobody gives a gently caress about covid-19 here anymore

if you really look you'll find researchers doing random sampling coming back with "yup everyone's covid-ridden"

fe: which reminds me I just got a pretty bad cough today

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

https://i.imgur.com/M4Iqr5p.mp4

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/TalkTV/status/1569947941875458048

THE BINS

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Because, Julia, it's, uhh, a bank holiday.

e:
At least around here they don't collect bins on say Easter or Christmas (on the holiday days anyway) either.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 09:04 on Sep 14, 2022

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Did the uk just go collectively insane?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol they’ve also cancelled exams for doctors in training which were scheduled on the monday

not the ones they do simultaneously abroad though, just candidates in the U.K.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Well we know at least one bin is getting collected that day

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Nuclear War posted:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Nuclear War posted:

i think this would have been an iota worse if they didn’t get the previous backlash for when the duke of edinburgh died, it’s still OTT but i haven’t seen anyone dressed in a full paddington outfit at a football match yet

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Police demand details of barrister who held up blank piece of paper amid arrests of anti-monarchy protesters

Independent posted:

Officer shown telling man he was stopped because he could ‘write stuff on it that may offend people around the King’

It's only bad when Thailand does it.

e: better link

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 09:36 on Sep 14, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Nuclear War posted:

"just"?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

i think this would have been an iota worse if they didn’t get the previous backlash for when the duke of edinburgh died, it’s still OTT but i haven’t seen anyone dressed in a full paddington outfit at a football match yet

Lame.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

Nuclear War posted:

The british have got this thing where there's an undercurrent of not quite being able to cope that every so often flares up into fits of mass infantilism and you get poo poo like people going outside their houses to clap for nobody or leaving loving marmalade sandwiches in st james's park

the whole royalism thing in particular is all one big coping mechanism and when it gets disrupted in any way (see also meghan markle) they release their dementia into the air like spores and you've just got to batten down the hatches for a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

The british have got this thing where there's an undercurrent of not quite being able to cope that every so often flares up into fits of mass infantilism and you get poo poo like people going outside their houses to clap for nobody or leaving loving marmalade sandwiches in st james's park

the whole royalism thing in particular is all one big coping mechanism and when it gets disrupted in any way (see also meghan markle) they release their dementia into the air like spores and you've just got to batten down the hatches for a bit

this is startlingly accurate lol