Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does Nintendo even have a plan to construct sea walls to fend off the rising tides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress yessssssss triangle strategy

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Game bad worm

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

worms butthole guy posted:

This is true and it really shows the incompetance on Nintendo that they couldn't compete in this market. I actually struggle to think how Nintendo CAN compete with the Steam Deck going forward, especially if Valve ever gets to a place where Steam Deck is commonly available.
I assume this isn't a troll post and genuine enthusiasm for having just gotten a Deck.

Thing is, Nintendo can be massively incompetent around the entire periphery of the Switch and yet their core competence alone (producing no-nonsene, kid-friendly-but-adult-enjoyable franchise titles) carries them, every time. Valve can't compete with Nintendo here, and they're not trying to either.

Like, yes, Valve has solved or avoided a lot of problems. Steam Input is fantastic--gyro that works in every game. Free multiplayer and cloud saves. Refunds and half-decent store policies. This is to say nothing about the generational leap of the Deck over the Switch and the titles available for it.

But at the same time, there's tons of people who love the Switch that can't deal with the enthusiast bullshit that's still required for the Deck. Even turning on the 30 fps frame limiter is too much to ask, let alone looking up compatibility notes on protondb. Forget getting Dolphin or PrimeHack all configured-up to play past Nintendo titles they haven't been able to bring over to the Switch. There's people who have even bought Decks, said "I respect this, but it's too much for me", sold them, and have gone back to Switch gaming. Until this is solved, Valve can't even begin to compete with Nintendo.

Maybe in a few product cycles Valve will have a Deck where nearly all games just work out of the box, no configuration, and only then can they start to compete with Nintendo and still won't have the benefit of their evergreen franchises that appeal to folks generation after generation.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I assume this isn't a troll post and genuine enthusiasm for having just gotten a Deck.

It is

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
not a troll, you can trace my switch sale to SA Mart. The Deck is just phenomenal on every level that even turning on my switch this morning to format it I asked myself "who would enjoy this over a steam deck anymore". :shrug:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

not a troll, you can trace my switch sale to SA Mart. The Deck is just phenomenal on every level that even turning on my switch this morning to format it I asked myself "who would enjoy this over a steam deck anymore". :shrug:

People that enjoy good games only available on the Switch this isn’t a big mystery.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

personally i love playing 300p games on a OLED screen lmao get out of here. The OLED is only impressive for like 2 games.

I have like 200 hours put in on my deck already and nah, OLED looked awesome even on the OG Vita

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I still buy a handful of titles available on both Steam and Switch, on Switch. It's smaller, docks easier, and generally has better battery life. Plus I think the OLED screen is legitimately good.

I'm done with FPSes on the Switch though, those control way better on the Deck.

Also Unity-engine games always have terrible performance. Like you can tell the Tunic Switch port is janky even from the Direct video, so while I'm happy they announced it I'm still going to get that on the Deck instead.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The good games only on Switch are Nintendo games. Nintendo games carried the N64 and Gamecube up to a point and the Wii managed to be a breakout success, but Wii U showed how fleeting that can be.

Nintendo needs third parties to survive, Deck absolutely presents a long term threat to that by giving those third parties a mobile console-like platform with near-zero effort required on their behalf to release on it. They're the first credible competition to Nintendo in the mobile gaming market, mostly because their approach is so different that it's almost an outside context problem. That said Valve still need to figure out game setting presets before it's truly competitive with consoles in a accessibility sense.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

Nintendo needs third parties to survive

They never have and never will.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

Nintendo needs third parties to survive

lol what

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
if Fortnight & Roblox leave the next nintendo system I think they would seriously be in trouble, but I don't forsee that happening

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I play my switch mostly through my dock on my OLED TV anyway so I didn't really care when they made the OLED switch.

But 4K HDR on OLED does own bones

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

They never have and never will.

Wii U had all the Switch games that people are playing now. No one bought it. Third parties bring in revenue that lets them sell hardware at low cost and funds their own games. Yeah, they do.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 13, 2022

Veotax
May 16, 2006

if Fortnight & Roblox leave the next nintendo system I think they would seriously be in trouble, but I don't forsee that happening

Pretty sure Roblox isn't on Switch anyway.

EDIT: Hell, Fortnight only came to Switch a year or two ago. I'm sure it's making tons of money, but the Switch was doing just fine before it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone tried RDR2 on the Deck? It's hard to tell if it actually runs or not and can't get a straight answer out of ProtonDB

Yeah it runs but you need to use an older version of proton. 6-3 something

It’s not quite a locked 40fps but it’s pretty close.

Id probably try and use the FSR 2.0 mod and you’d probably get closer to a locked 40fps.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Veotax posted:

Pretty sure Roblox isn't on Switch anyway.

Nintendo loves monetizing kids but the big dependence on custom content is definitely a no-go zone

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Nintendo loves monetizing kids but the big dependence on custom content is definitely a no-go zone

:yeah:

Nintendo made this amazing little game to teach kids programming called Game Builder Garage. It uses a visual programming language with nodes and links. Sharing and finding games in it is a PITA, completely opposite Dreams or Little Big Planet. They could have monetized the gently caress out of those kids but made a choice for that part of the game to be less accessible than in Super Mario Maker 2.

That or they are so out-of-touch with online games that they think their indirect Dreams-competitor doesn't need built-in community interaction.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 13, 2022

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Nintendo doing things in the name of protecting kids is a big part of why you still need friend codes to add friends on Switch.

They're terrified of a headline like "child meets podophile on their Switch" or something. So there's no voice chat built in on the console and to add a friend, you need to trade codes outside of the systems interface.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Heran Bago posted:

:yeah:

Nintendo made this amazing little game to teach kids programming called Game Builder Garage. It uses a visual programming language with nodes and links. Sharing and finding games in it is a PITA, completely opposite Dreams or Little Big Planet. They could have monetized the gently caress out of those kids but made a choice for that part of the game to be less accessible than in Super Mario Maker 2.

That or they are so out-of-touch with online games that they think their indirect Dreams-competitor doesn't need built-in community interaction.

its the latter op

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Veotax posted:

Nintendo doing things in the name of protecting kids is a big part of why you still need friend codes to add friends on Switch.

They're terrified of a headline like "child meets podophile on their Switch" or something. So there's no voice chat built in on the console and to add a friend, you need to trade codes outside of the systems interface.

It's hard to tell when it's incompetence or laziness vs trying to protect the kids. Animal Crossing Wii had voice chat if you plugged in a USB mic. I think they just don't want to deal with the programming or network infrastructure themselves. Like Splatoon 2 had voice chat but you had to buy a dongle and download an app if you wanted to use a headset. This thing is real, wonder if it is still a thing for Splatoon 3:

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 13, 2022

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it runs but you need to use an older version of proton. 6-3 something

It’s not quite a locked 40fps but it’s pretty close.

Id probably try and use the FSR 2.0 mod and you’d probably get closer to a locked 40fps.

thats awesome. Does it still have a memory leak that crashes it every hour?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Veotax posted:

After spending many hours of playing Monster Hunter Rise online on Switch, the lack of online features is a feature, not a failing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

thats awesome. Does it still have a memory leak that crashes it every hour?

I’m going to go with probably. I haven’t really played it enough to say for sure.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Magic Shortbus posted:

XCom 2 works with the Steam Deck as a controller just fine. Go into your Steam Deck controller settings and from the templates section just pick Gamepad with XXXX from the bottom templates. You also have to set the game to use the controller interface in the XCom 2 interface options. It may not automatically switch for you. Once you do it will stick and youre good.

I reinstalled and I'm still having the same problem. The interface options are grayed out and I can only choose mouse. No idea why. It does recognize my inputs but it's still set to mouse controls which feel horrible compared to how it plays with a controller on console (or presumedly PC with a controller)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

People that enjoy good games only available on the Switch this isn’t a big mystery.

I think his point is you can probably play those titles on the Deck.

Chalk me up as someone who's just going to play all of his Switch titles (if they run well enough) on his Deck and I have a friend or two that have done the same and gotten rid of their Switches but I don't see Nintendo floundering anytime soon.

Unless the Switch 2 is easy to emulate and Nintendo doesn't keep up with interesting hardware that gives people a reason to choose it over a Steam Deck with more tradition styled controls and features.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ok now input select is working and I can switch Xcom 2 to controller, but I cannot save and exit in the menu with X, which means I cannot leave the menu without undoing the changes. :negative:

Edit: Turns out the problem is that Veni is an idiot. Solved.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 13, 2022

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/Plagman2/status/1569404939864264704?s=20&t=kVX9oX8byQBwuhQ_Rl4t6A

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The final product landed in exactly the right place, but ngl I think I would have preferred circular indented track pads.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm playing RE4 right now and occasionally (and without any obvious cause) the game seems to think I'm playing using a mouse and keyboard. Like, you know how in menus and stuff it will show you button prompts based on what input device you're using? They'll all be keyboard keys and stuff all of a sudden, and my inputs will get all weird. Like when I hit L2 to aim, Leon will stop 1/10th of the way through the animation like I'm overwriting it with a different input. Same goes for holding left stick up to move forward, Leon will stutter step like I'm canceling the animation by inputting another command. For some reason it feels like my Steam Deck is constantly hitting some keyboard key and it's screwing with the input. Any idea what's going on here?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fadam posted:

I'm playing RE4 right now and occasionally (and without any obvious cause) the game seems to think I'm playing using a mouse and keyboard. Like, you know how in menus and stuff it will show you button prompts based on what input device you're using? They'll all be keyboard keys and stuff all of a sudden, and my inputs will get all weird. Like when I hit L2 to aim, Leon will stop 1/10th of the way through the animation like I'm overwriting it with a different input. Same goes for holding left stick up to move forward, Leon will stutter step like I'm canceling the animation by inputting another command. For some reason it feels like my Steam Deck is constantly hitting some keyboard key and it's screwing with the input. Any idea what's going on here?

I had the same issue and it usually required a restart.

Lots of games will switch prompts if you use a combo of controller and touchpad, but RE4 is the only game I have seen that seems to do it and randomly and make the game unplayable.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

The final product landed in exactly the right place, but ngl I think I would have preferred circular indented track pads.

I think I would have too, honestly that middle model that kinda looks like an Aya Neo is sexy as all hell.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I had the same issue and it usually required a restart.

Lots of games will switch prompts if you use a combo of controller and touchpad, but RE4 is the only game I have seen that seems to do it and randomly and make the game unplayable.

poo poo, that’s really annoying in a game without quicksave.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's funny to see that they didn't settle on full sized analog sticks until the absolute final product and god, I can't even imagine the Deck without real analog sticks. It's one of the main features that makes it feel like a portable with no real compromises to the experience.

fadam posted:

poo poo, that’s really annoying in a game without quicksave.

I'm sure someone else who has played it more will chime in with an actual solution. Just posting letting you know that you aren't alone and that probably happens for everyone.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
For PrimeHack, where is the setting to disable the Steam Mouse cursor?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The amount of people who play the switch a lot and also are totally cool with configuring an emulator on a Linux machine without a physical keyboard is, and I'm just speculating here, maybe over-represented on this 2000-era discussion board.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Can you get gamepass working on the Deck? Downloaded Disney dreamlight valley for my kid without knowing it basically meant she plays dress up with her character and decorates her house, while I grind quests and rewards at night, and realized the deck would be great for this, but I also want to use my gamepass sub and cloud saves for it.

To be clear, I already have a deck in reservation and am still waiting on an email, and did not just reserve one solely for this purpose! I'm mostly a switch gamer because I absolutely love their games, and use my PC for steam games because of my monitors and hardware/controls, but I can't deny how much i'd love to be able to knock out game side quests or explore over worlds from bed or while out.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 13, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You can set up gamepass cloud streaming on Deck apparently and Microsoft has released instructions on how to do it, but actual gamepass seems to do some fucky stuff with Windows that won't fly on Linux so there's currently no way to get it running natively on the Steam Deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PageMaster posted:

Can you get gamepass working on the Deck? Downloaded Disney dreamlight valley for my kid without knowing it basically meant she plays dress up with her character and decorates her house, while I grind quests and rewards at night, and realized the deck would be great for this, but I also want to use my gamepass sub and cloud saves for it.

To be clear, I already have a deck in reservation and am still waiting on an email, and did not just reserve one solely for this purpose! I'm mostly a switch gamer because I absolutely love their games, and use my PC for steam games because of my monitors and hardware/controls, but I can't deny how much i'd love to be able to knock out game side quests or explore over worlds from bed or while out.
Either cloud streaming in SteamOS or boot into Windows and install them there. Either way you can do it but its a little annoying.