Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

CuddleCryptid posted:

Depends on what you mean by "deserted island" because my mind goes to one like this

Was thinking of either the turtle and cactus island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The best thing is when you match with three randos and you play really well together and you all keep smashing the Again button and play for a continuous hour until the stage rotation fucks everything up even though it's Salmon Run and nothing has changed.

Goodbye, my perfect transient friends.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Gear it is.

https://twitter.com/derekedwardsgb/status/1560002652716531716

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Hopin that Frye backs team Fun so that shes the least popular one again. Its great to be on that team since you can instantly match into any kind of battle

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah one thing to mention for people new to the series, and someone correct me if I'm remembering wrong, you don't have to automatically pick the most popular splatfest option in order to win. That side gets some points for popularity, but mirror matches against your own side don't count for points towards a win, so even unpopular ones can win if they win enough regular battles. It's more about total win percentage in matches more than popularity.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Fedule posted:

The best thing is when you match with three randos and you play really well together and you all keep smashing the Again button and play for a continuous hour until the stage rotation fucks everything up even though it's Salmon Run and nothing has changed.

Goodbye, my perfect transient friends.

I think you can send friend requests, at least?

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Hopin that Frye backs team Fun so that shes the least popular one again. Its great to be on that team since you can instantly match into any kind of battle

I was assuming they'd be in the order they were shown, so Gear-Shiver, Grub-Frye, and GFun-Big Man

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Fedule posted:

Man there must be something for this. Something we could do for fun. Something we could play maybe. Like maybe on a board, or using cards, or by playing roles, or with some kind of moving picture technology. It's on the tip of my tongue. Oh gee. Gosh. Golly.

The word is "Games"

However I will be bringing Gear, with which I can acquire Grub and create Games of my own devising.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

The word is "Games"

:thejoke:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

yeah, AND i understood it

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Gear let's you splat the person who chose to bring food.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Twibbit posted:

Gear let's you splat the person who chose to bring food.

Doesn't count as a deserted island if someone else is already there 5head

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gonna bring so much GRUB that the island will be desserted.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Shiver is once again on the correct side, gear will solve all of your problems

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Does Splatoon 3 still scramble the teams in Turf War even if you're in a party with friends? I thought I'd read reviews that they fixed it and allowed stacks but others are saying it still happens.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you drop in on friends you can still be on different teams. I don’t know about if you make a room first.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

If you drop in on friends you can still be on different teams. I don’t know about if you make a room first.
Sorry, yeah, I meant specifically if you make a room because that was the new functionality the various preview sites were hyping up.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

CuddleCryptid posted:

Doesn't count as a deserted island if someone else is already there 5head

Tell that to the british!

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Fifty Three posted:

Sorry, yeah, I meant specifically if you make a room because that was the new functionality the various preview sites were hyping up.

there are two options when playing turf wars: solo or with friends

if you pick solo, it will immediately put you into a match and your friends can then queue up to join you. On the next match, all your queued friends will join and it will work like Splatoon 2 where some will be on the same team and some wont. I think you can get a full lobby of friends doing this, but so far the most ive tested it with is 5 ppl

if you pick with friends instead, you will make a lobby. Any friends can join this lobby, but it can only have 4 people max. Once your squad has readied up, you will go into a match, presumably against other premade groups, and will stay on the same team the whole* time

*sometimes it will still put your friends on different teams, but its very rare. I think it does this when it cant find the right amount of people to play against your squad

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah one thing to mention for people new to the series, and someone correct me if I'm remembering wrong, you don't have to automatically pick the most popular splatfest option in order to win. That side gets some points for popularity, but mirror matches against your own side don't count for points towards a win, so even unpopular ones can win if they win enough regular battles. It's more about total win percentage in matches more than popularity.

historically the less popular option has an edge because everyone who's good at this game is deeply contrarian

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

there are two options when playing turf wars: solo or with friends

if you pick solo, it will immediately put you into a match and your friends can then queue up to join you. On the next match, all your queued friends will join and it will work like Splatoon 2 where some will be on the same team and some wont. I think you can get a full lobby of friends doing this, but so far the most ive tested it with is 5 ppl

if you pick with friends instead, you will make a lobby. Any friends can join this lobby, but it can only have 4 people max. Once your squad has readied up, you will go into a match, presumably against other premade groups, and will stay on the same team the whole* time

*sometimes it will still put your friends on different teams, but its very rare. I think it does this when it cant find the right amount of people to play against your squad

You can go up to 8 people, yeah.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is there a way to get exp when playing with friends in salmon run

Me and my 3 friends are just "wait is there a point to this outside just playing together''

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you're at a higher rank than your friends, you won't start gaining until they catch up.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

njsykora posted:

If you're at a higher rank than your friends, you won't start gaining until they catch up.

I'm apprentice :v

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

it's the fastest chunk generator without spending food tickets to keep up equipment exp

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

This is exactly the information I was looking for and it lines up with the complaint I had heard, appreciate the write-up.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

salmon run is cool and good and so are the rewards

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

WTF is with connection failures right at the end of a match?? I'm mostly doing singleplayer to get back into the groove but I wanted to import my 2 save and get some guns. But I need level 2 to use the golden tickets, but I can't even get out of level 1. Every loving match between 5-8 seconds to the end "Communication error, you get jack poo poo"

Is it some troll nonsense where people are powering off right at the end, and Nintendo in their continuing online naivete failed to predict assholery?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Enos Shenk posted:

WTF is with connection failures right at the end of a match?? I'm mostly doing singleplayer to get back into the groove but I wanted to import my 2 save and get some guns. But I need level 2 to use the golden tickets, but I can't even get out of level 1. Every loving match between 5-8 seconds to the end "Communication error, you get jack poo poo"

Is it some troll nonsense where people are powering off right at the end, and Nintendo in their continuing online naivete failed to predict assholery?

The servers are hella hosed because the game is making sales records basically everywhere. They're working on it but it's probably not troll nonsense.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

story mode: so i guess cuttlefish is just uhhhhh like that now, huh

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Bloblobber's still real loving good.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
What I wanna know about the end of story mode is who is talking to me at GrizzCo now?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Riven posted:

What I wanna know about the end of story mode is who is talking to me at GrizzCo now?
The devs said in Splatoon 2 That Grizz’s communication with players is all canned dialogue that triggers when the context is appropriate. I assume that remains true now.

However, if you play turf war or anarchy, you may notice Lil Judd has a new accessory…

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Pants Donkey posted:

The devs said in Splatoon 2 That Grizz’s communication with players is all canned dialogue that triggers when the context is appropriate. I assume that remains true now.

However, if you play turf war or anarchy, you may notice Lil Judd has a new accessory…

Also in the card game Lil Judd has a Salmon Run themed deck.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Riven posted:

In addition to the above Lil' Judd gains a headset after you beat the game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Emong posted:

Also in the card game Lil Judd has a Salmon Run themed deck.

Adding to this it's just Lil Judd too. Judd himself has a normal deck with a normal sleeve, in case someone thought it was just a weird theme they might've shared. Something is up with the little fella. :thunk:

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Araxxor posted:

Adding to this it's just Lil Judd too. Judd himself has a normal deck with a normal sleeve, in case someone thought it was just a weird theme they might've shared. Something is up with the little fella. :thunk:

lil judd is canonically planning an assassination attempt on judd

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

inferis posted:

lil judd is canonically planning an assassination attempt on judd

not unless you count insulting someone's toe beans as an assassination attempt

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

absolutely anything posted:

not unless you count insulting someone's toe beans as an assassination attempt

They’re not joking it actually is canon

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

So the matchmaking really loves putting level 2 nubs together on a team against 4x maxed out gear folks huh? I think I've had one match that wasn't an utter curbstomp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

It's amazing how many people are using the crab tank and plinking at cover when they could be flushing me out with the cannon.

Enos Shenk posted:

So the matchmaking really loves putting level 2 nubs together on a team against 4x maxed out gear folks huh? I think I've had one match that wasn't an utter curbstomp.

:darksouls: