Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

mark immune posted:

hearing a mentally ill guy talk about the power of hare krishna and dance to stop cops is pretty grim. calling bryan a defeatist cop is pretty lol. anarchocomedy ftl

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Yeah, I was really glad to see Brett tweeting this himself...

https://twitter.com/BrettPain/status/1561507491988611073

...because for all its positivity, the Friday episode is still a really hard listen. I hope Brett feels better and finds his peace and contentment but I dunno if this particular road is one I can follow Street Fight down

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Seems like the worst time to give up on people.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
e: nevermind, don't actually want to have this conversation, carry on

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Johnny Landmine posted:

Yeah, I was really glad to see Brett tweeting this himself...

https://twitter.com/BrettPain/status/1561507491988611073

...because for all its positivity, the Friday episode is still a really hard listen. I hope Brett feels better and finds his peace and contentment but I dunno if this particular road is one I can follow Street Fight down

Yeah, I got about 10 minutes into the basement show before I got too uncomfortable and had to turn it off. I don't know how bad he was when he went in the institution, but he's clearly still neck deep in a manic episode. This feels like it has been a slow build ever since the pandemic, and it started feeling really off to me ever since the covid freakout he had a bit ago. I feel real bad for Brett and anyone who cares for him. Mental illness is a bitch.

RATS!
Dec 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/murderxbryan/status/1569774270376468482

:(

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The show is still spreading this mess across the US, it’s tough but if that’s what’s best for them I just hope they both land OK.

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

oh aw :( well if the show was causing damage to their friendship im glad they're making the choice to separate. sometimes it happens, you grow apart from people and you need to move on. wishing them success in whatever comes next and hope that brett continues to heal from whatever he's had going on.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I think the biggest question for me is... What in the world does an all-Brett project look like, especially the current most divorced man alive era Brett?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

secretly best girl posted:

I think the biggest question for me is... What in the world does an all-Brett project look like, especially the current most divorced man alive era Brett?

it looks like a flea market

https://twitter.com/BrettPain/status/1568724299783061504?s=20&t=XmwAy0k3lD7jP-BfXPuX2w

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

yea i was flipping through his twitter and ngl still getting some hints of mania off it. spending sprees on mountains of garbage, convinced that every piece from a thrift store is a valuable treasure...kind of worried about him :/

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
We all like to think we can be harmonious with eachother until one of us is a polygamous and the other is a never nude

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's too bad. I think Bryan's gonna do alright, he's built quite a network of guest hosts who he's worked with on all sorts of stuff, I suspect the show will be able to survive some rearranging. I hope Brett is able to find a solid next thing, it seems like he's been under a lot of emotional and social pressure for quite a while.

Jabronie posted:

We all like to think we can be harmonious with eachother until one of us is a polygamous and the other is a never nude

lmao

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I think Bryan is going to handle things well, and has been.

Despite what he says he can pull off solo rambling really well.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

matureaudiencesonly posted:

yea i was flipping through his twitter and ngl still getting some hints of mania off it. spending sprees on mountains of garbage, convinced that every piece from a thrift store is a valuable treasure...kind of worried about him :/

Yeah, in a weird case where my knowledge can come into play, all that glass is basically worthless so if he's hoping to flip it he's in for a bad time. The uranium glass (if it's really uranium glass) and the beer sign are the only thing worth anything. Feels really bad.

RATS!
Dec 23, 2008

ive liked the recent guest host era. It felt like brett hasnt been into the show since his divorce

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Ah drat end of an era. Dirtbag left will never be the same.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I have a friend who's dad was manic-depressive and was always dead broke from doing stuff like this. He told me once he just walked into a garage sale once in a manic episode and bought the entire thing.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Well, did he turn a profit from it?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Cached Money posted:

Well, did he turn a profit from it?

I can answer this one: no, and every piece he sold for more than $30 he can recall in detail. It’s cool to thrift and re-sell but it doesn’t really work out as profitable unless you’re tricking rich people or very picky about what you buy. Otherwise you end up with a bunch of cool junk that you can’t throw away because you spent $2.50 on it.

Now, starting a youtube channel where you restore old busted stuff - that can be lucrative.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Selling random stuff from auctions and thrift stores on Whatnot like that is not really profitable enough to be your whole source of income. It made sense as a supplementary thing but I don't think it's going to be the revolutionary endeavor he thinks it will be. He needs help and I don't think chanting harekrishna is pulling the weight he thinks it is.

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

is he planning to use it as his main source of income? i'll be honest, i haven't listened to the show in a while (i just generally tend to burn out on podcasts quickly bc i don't like to listen to people talk at me for long periods of time) so idk if he's said as much there. and on his twitter feed i just see him posting garbage but maybe it's just his mania-driven hobby that he's really into right now?

idk i don't mean to gossip about this dude going through a rough time, i guess parasocial relationships come with some real degree of concern. i also met brett & bryan at a show they did a couple of years ago and spent an hour or so chatting with brett. bryan seems like he'll be fine but i bet it's a heartwrenching situation to find himself in.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I stopped following him on instagram because all he did for a while for just try to sell random things he found in thrift shops. Lol

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
A ray of sunshine in an otherwise gloomy situation https://twitter.com/murderxbryan/status/1570502902623645696

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Monsters in the Morning have been the local shock jocks for most my life. I was never a fan but they were one of the main local ones in central Florida out of Orlando. Clear Channel tried to push them nationally when they lost Howard Stern and they bombed, even in other Florida markets. I'm curious how bad it's going to be.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I'm excited Bryan is covering Bob & Tom for Shocktober. My dad would make me listen to them on the way to school. Lots of terrible parody songs and they'd do that thing where they would bring on a comedian and ask them leading questions that segued to them doing one of their bits. Surprisingly they'd get comedians like Mike Birbiglia, Brian Posehn, and the Sklar Brothers alongside your typical blue collar comedians.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Nobody could possibly be worse than the Greaseman.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

bartok posted:

I'm excited Bryan is covering Bob & Tom for Shocktober. My dad would make me listen to them on the way to school. Lots of terrible parody songs and they'd do that thing where they would bring on a comedian and ask them leading questions that segued to them doing one of their bits. Surprisingly they'd get comedians like Mike Birbiglia, Brian Posehn, and the Sklar Brothers alongside your typical blue collar comedians.

Never heard the show but I remember downloading tons of comedy songs off of kazaa back in the day with titles like "special olympics" and "dear penis" and they'd always be from Bob and Tom

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHR9LEZD58U

comedy gold right here

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Bob & Tom is imo one of the guidestones of boomer humor and I'm glad he's digging into something I had to sit through as a kid who didn't have control of the car radio

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I worked for a company that painted houses right out of high school and we listened to Bob and Tom every single morning. (my boss had control of the radio)

It was bad, but I feel like as far as shock jocks go they were pretty tame. Mostly just sex jokes and goofy songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7yZ_V0KYDw

This loving song is burned into my memory because my boss would sing it constantly.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Jeff Dunham is a frequent guest on Bob & Tom and his bits are so much more racist when he isn't holding the dummies. We all know about Achmed the Dead Terrorist but it's got nothing on the Sweet Daddy Dee voice. Verbal blackface is the only way I can describe it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/murderxbryan/status/1574071288217337859

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This year's Opie clips are the best yet. I hope Opie's finances are ok so he can keep doing the same show.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So I guess Brett is recording his first new show this Sunday, he's got a somewhat-rambling video explaining it linked off his new Patreon over here.

Good... good luck, my man? I hope? I'm wincing listening to this.

edit: I guess I may as well link the Patreon itself for anyone who wants to keep tabs since the video has no identifiable markings that'd lead back to it

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

secretly best girl posted:

So I guess Brett is recording his first new show this Sunday, he's got a somewhat-rambling video explaining it linked off his new Patreon over here.

Good... good luck, my man? I hope? I'm wincing listening to this.

edit: I guess I may as well link the Patreon itself for anyone who wants to keep tabs since the video has no identifiable markings that'd lead back to it

oooo man. he says he doesn't feel miserable anymore, so im happy for him in that regard, but yea this does not sound like the confessional of a person whose mental state is firmly rooted in reality :(

my friend has been continuing to listen to street fight post-schism and he says it's less politics and more like bathroom humor stuff. is this other people's impression too?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Bryan has definitely loosened the content a bit, but last week's Wednesday show with the Srsly Wrong podcast guys was an excellent and very serious conversation about anarchist politics and ways of imagining the future. The call-in show is still basically the same overall vibe it's been the last couple years too.

bartok
May 10, 2006

oooo man. he says he doesn't feel miserable anymore, so im happy for him in that regard, but yea this does not sound like the confessional of a person whose mental state is firmly rooted in reality :(

my friend has been continuing to listen to street fight post-schism and he says it's less politics and more like bathroom humor stuff. is this other people's impression too?

it's really guest dependent

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I’m liking Brian’s stuff and think he can even hold it down himself. I wish Brett luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartok
May 10, 2006

I forgot what a disgusting vile person Tom Leykis is inside and out. It was a hilarious episode but also a very uncomfortable listen especially that clip with the caller complaining about his wife wanting him to leave his band. I think at one point he talks about knocking some sense into his wife. I wish I could go back to the days when I thought Leykis was a character James Adomian created for Comedy Bang! Bang!.

Can't wait for the Bob & Tom episode next week and I'm glad the special guest is going to be Mike Hale.