Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

RF5 Doug is normal height. I thought he was a dwarf in RF4, not a child?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Leal posted:

Let me marry the foxmom

:hai:

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Leal posted:

Let me marry the foxmom

Hina needs two moms.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright fired it up on steam and holy poo poo, after playing the switch version for so long its almost uncanny seeing the game run at a smooth 60.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LLSix posted:

RF5 Doug is normal height. I thought he was a dwarf in RF4, not a child?

Darroch is also a dwarf, for what it's worth.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Rune Factory dwarves aren't actually all small people with beards.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

cheetah7071 posted:

Someone high up in the rune factory team thinks nobody wants to marry moms. That person is a sicko
i don't know a lot about Rune Factory but one of the things that made me bounce off RF4 is it seemed all the romance options were 14yo anime babies

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is there a demo or anything? Kinda curious if my comp can run RF5 despite being probably way too old at this point.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Sivart13 posted:

i don't know a lot about Rune Factory but one of the things that made me bounce off RF4 is it seemed all the romance options were 14yo anime babies

Some of them are way too young, yes, but Dylas, Leon, and Arthur read at least young adult to me, and so do Dolce and Margaret on the ladies' side. Basically just stay away from Amber and Kiel.

VVV Right also Forte. Forgot about her. I've only played as the lady so I'm not as familiar with who the marriageable ladies are.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 14, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Leon reads as middle-aged to me. He was a priest. Not just a priest, the head priest. Same sort of playful middle-aged as Shigure from Fruit's Basket to be fair, but clearly much older than the average.

Forte is the head of the town guard and is stronger than the PC for the first half of the game. Seems pretty adult. She's socially inept, but it's not like goons are unfamiliar with socially awkward adults.

Agreed that Amber and Kiel are yikes.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is there a demo or anything? Kinda curious if my comp can run RF5 despite being probably way too old at this point.
I don't see a demo, but Steam lists the system specs for the game. If your PC is less than a decade old, it should be fine.

MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel Core i5-6500
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 9 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel Core i5-9400
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 9 GB available space

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
God drat, I need to stress again how crazy it is to play RF5 at a smooth framerate. I just need to remember to go a little slower on the main quest until after the buddy battle festival.

E:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Alternately go much harder on the main quest, beat the game and get to the postgame to get monsters that are even stronger.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Played RF5 on the Switch for about 3 hours before I couldn't deal with the framerate, how's it hold up on the Steam Deck? Am I dumb enough to buy the game again?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just bought it. Praying I don't hate it as much as I've hated every other 3D version of the genre

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Leal posted:

Alright fired it up on steam and holy poo poo, after playing the switch version for so long its almost uncanny seeing the game run at a smooth 60.

New portraits not sliding in at 2-3 fps after loading? Sacrilege!

But yeah I got the PC port as well, the performance owns and is really smooth. Also it has the correct icons for playstation controllers!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaboobi posted:

Played RF5 on the Switch for about 3 hours before I couldn't deal with the framerate, how's it hold up on the Steam Deck? Am I dumb enough to buy the game again?

From what I’ve seen your best bet is to set it to 40fps and medium settings and it should be perfectly smooth.

You could probably do low and get 60 though if that’s your thing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The op being Lupin was quite the surprise

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
now that it's in relatively high def I have to ask again

seriously what are with these head icons they're creepy a f

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

now that it's in relatively high def I have to ask again

seriously what are with these head icons they're creepy a f

Pupils are for those who have souls :unsmigghh:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Where are all the oranges

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Where are all the oranges

There are a few trees that will have oranges, grapes and apples in them. You'll need the catch power you get after beating the first dungeon to get them.

This lone pinetree on the east side of town can have oranges, grapes or apples, sometimes it'll even have all 3.

This tree will have 1-3 oranges in it, a little into the woodlands

These refresh everyday

Leal fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 17, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
there's also two locations that have daily hidden items which are (usually) a random tree seed. You can see hidden items from day one by having a party member, otherwise there's eventually a badge to let you see them even solo

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wow Heinz actually said a funny joke: An item request for a ruby on Spring 12

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gucci, I saw one apple tree but the fruit was close enough to the ground to just grab it, I figured I needed a bow or something to shoot the higher apples/oranges. Didn't even think of using my grapple

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Unpopular thing to say, but I think the game would benefit from having a drastically faster clock. Stamina regeneration is so easy, and the penalty for not sleeping is non-existent as far as I can tell. So everyday takes forever. That plus there's a lot of times I want to go fight monsters with my peeps, but they're stuck in a shop for hours.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

If you have the Companion Crest equipped, you can force people to join your party even while they're working. Once they reach a certain heart level, they will join whenever without the crest (some still require it) and won't leave the party in the evening so you can keep them in your group forever until dismissed

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Good news everyone, there is a mod that lets you marry multiple people

https://www.nexusmods.com/runefactory5/mods/32

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Looking forward to the eventual PC release of Rune Factory 3 remake.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Looking forward to the eventual PC release of Rune Factory 3 remake.

Also you can be gay and nonbinary in the Wonderful Life remake which owns, truly blessed with the big gay battle royale of farm sims coming our way

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Harvestella has a nonbinary option in the demo as well, but no idea if there's romance at all.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

woke kaczynski posted:

Also you can be gay and nonbinary in the Wonderful Life remake which owns, truly blessed with the big gay battle royale of farm sims coming our way

Sure hope they overhaul the actual farming and mining mechanics to be less tedious. I loved the characters, setting, and aging mechanics, but boy howdy was that game an absolute unsatisfying slog to play past the first year.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Harvestella has a nonbinary option in the demo as well, but no idea if there's romance at all.

How do you get the Harvestella demo?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

LLSix posted:

How do you get the Harvestella demo?

Just go to it's page on the eshop and it should give you an option to download the demo.

I don't know if the demo is available on anything else if that's what you are asking.

I'm pretty sure you can be trans too, the male, female, and non-binary options just seem to be "what pronouns would you like us to use?" because all the body type options are the same afterwards. I know I'm not playing as this dweeb with their dumb side ponytail.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah you can be trans. Voice and body selection are seperate from pronouns.

Though the body options are pretty androgynous in general.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

RF5's on sale for a week -35% off
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1702330/Rune_Factory_5/

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Has anyone played Harvestella yet? I’m curious to hear first impressions.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I've only played the demo, and my own impression from that is it's more JRPG than farm sim. I think the combat for the 2 base Jobs you get at the beginning of the game don't feel that great either, though the later jobs do look more interesting. Off of the demo, your gameplay loop is basically just doing farming to get resources for food/bombs/repair kits just so you can progress through each of the story dungeons more.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like it

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

Has anyone played Harvestella yet? I’m curious to hear first impressions.

I picked it up and have started to play through it. I'm most of the way through Chapter 3, and here are my impressions:

The game is more RPG than farm simulator.

Crops are a means to an end; vegetable juice is a healing potion, cooked meals are your stamina recovery (stamina is used for almost all actions), buffs, and also do some health recovery (but you can't eat above 100 fullness, and they have an animation to consume where vegetable juice does not), and the farming aspect seems to primarily give you some money and access to more and better ingredients. There's a cooking sidequest where you make a bunch of different dishes and give them to the inns in various towns for one-time rewards. Between that and the money from quests, that seems to be the primary way to make money to upgrade the farm. There's also a system that unlocks as you go through the story where doing tasks on your farm gives you little achievements that unlock more powerful farming abilities and better maker recipes.

Bottom line is that you do a lot of farming, but it's not very deep (there's no fertilizer, no crop levels, nothing like that) and is more of a means to an end.

The combat is relatively meh, but the controls are extremely responsive. You can swap between 3 classes and each class has up to 3 abilities to use that are on a cooldown timer. There's a mechanic where enemies are weak to certain elements and attacks, so you ideally hit their weaknesses. There's no real customization (at least none that I've found). You can have 2 party members and they're generally competent enough. Really though, combat is about spending the farming resources (juice, cooked dishes) to kill enemies and bosses for better materials to make better stuff to farm with. There's a neat mechanic where you repair shortcuts to previous parts of the area, so over time you fix everything up and make it easier to backtrack and save progress from day to day.

The quests can be fun, though a little repetitive, and the party members each have a 10 part quest that lets you get to know them better, so that's neat. NPCs that you help will send you letters in the mail to tell you how things are going and to alert you about follow-up quests, which is a nice touch.

Overall, Stardew Valley is a much, much better farming game, but the combat in Harvestella is miles better, and Harvestella is a JRPG with the story of a JRPG and a narrative that you go through. Harvestella really doesn't hold up well against Rune Factory 4, or even Rune Factory 5. It's probably better than the first Rune Factory, but that's only because the first Rune Factory was pretty rough. Xenoblade 3 is a substantially better JRPG, though it largely lacks the farming elements.

So if you're in the mood for a light JRPG with some light farming elements and resource management, this is the game for you. The story seems geared towards a younger audience, and while there's definitely some hosed up stuff that happens, the game doesn't really force you to engage with it or dwell on it.

And for what it's worth, I'm enjoying the game. The resource management and time management, while basic, is fun and a small little puzzle for me to solve. The quests aren't bad, and some of the writing is quite fun. The main story has been fun so far, and the game does a really good job of making each area feel unique and interesting. The graphics for each area are very pretty, and while there's not really a friendship mechanic where you give gifts, you do get closer to people as you complete quests for them, which serves to really flesh out the NPCs and the lifestyles of the people in the towns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I've kind of been thinking about picking up a new one of these games on the Switch, is there one that is regarded as just the absolute best, golden calf?

I've put hundreds of hours into Stardew Valley in the past so I'm kind of averse to playing that one again. I tried Coral Island on Gamepass and IMO these types of games should not be released in early access. I don't want to play something that isn't even close to finished but I think I do want to play a farming game again.