Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

That is so much strength holy poo poo, get some loving vigor

Yeah it's great when I hit something with the greatsword they loving DIE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

Yeah it's great when I hit something with the greatsword they loving DIE

Soon you'll face the same fate unless you're really good at avoiding damage. Get vigor to at least 45-50 imo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Soon you'll face the same fate unless you're really good at avoiding damage. Get vigor to at least 45-50 imo.

I use the weight reducing charm so I'm not fat rolling my way through the game so I'm pretty good at avoiding damage but yeah I get hit all the time I mean it's a Soulsborne game. So I think I'll take the advice to put points into vigor. I guess it wouldn't be an unga bunga build if I can't take some punishment.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

I'm trying to decide what to do with my unga bunga strength build. I've been pouring points into strength but I'm wondering if that's kind of a waste at this point. Here's my current stats:

I'm currently rocking the Rhadan armor and greatsword. Should I keep putting points into strength? Or maybe more into endurance so I can wear some super heavy armor I haven't come across yet? I don't plan on changing to a different type of build I want to keep getting more unga bunga.

Faith to 15 for Flame, Cleanse Me and Flame, Grant me Strength and way more utility spells than you'd expect at that level of investment. 15 int for the Starscourge Greatswords, 50ish vigor, and a mind of 23 will let you summon the costliest summon. If you don't summon, 13-15 or so is enough to spam any old weapon art. Just 12 or 13 will get you 6 Flame of the Redmanes casts per blue flask and that's enough to stun a God twice

Do you have a specific level in mind you're shooting for or are ya just gonna keep the train rolling?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Faith to 15 for Flame, Cleanse Me and Flame, Grant me Strength and way more utility spells than you'd expect at that level of investment. 15 int for the Starscourge Greatswords, 50ish vigor, and a mind of 23 will let you summon the costliest summon. If you don't summon, 13-15 or so is enough to spam any old weapon art. Just 12 or 13 will get you 6 Flame of the Redmanes casts per blue flask and that's enough to stun a God twice

Do you have a specific level in mind you're shooting for or are ya just gonna keep the train rolling?

I'm not shooting for any particular level I'll just keep leveling up until I finish the game. I've never been a magic user in any Soulsborne game and I do want to try it eventually but not for this playthrough. But I think I'm getting to the point of diminishing returns with the strength stat. I'm wondering if there's some mega heavy armor later in the game that I might like in which case even with the weight reducing charm it might put me in fat roll territory so I think I might more points into endurance.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Filthy Hans posted:

the only time I really bothered with a wretch build was in DS1 when I made it past Four Kings with just a spiked club so I could do lvl 1 invasions, then consistently got my rear end kicked whenever I invaded anyone

starting with an even stat spread offends me

Small wonder, Deprived is a lvl 6 class!!!! :rolleye:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

I'm not shooting for any particular level I'll just keep leveling up until I finish the game. I've never been a magic user in any Soulsborne game and I do want to try it eventually but not for this playthrough. But I think I'm getting to the point of diminishing returns with the strength stat. I'm wondering if there's some mega heavy armor later in the game that I might like in which case even with the weight reducing charm it might put me in fat roll territory so I think I might more points into endurance.

50 End will be all you ever need with the talisman you're talking about. The int would be for specific weapons that don't actually scale off of it, and the faith for buffs. Both strictly optional, it's just a lot of returns for relatively few points. Flame Cleanse Me costs almost nothing and cures scarlet rot and poison, and the most basic heal annihilates royal revenants. There's only two caveman weapons that require int but they're both among the best.

You're not quite to the point of no point in further STR investment but you're close. You can ash a weapon to Flame since that scales off strength for some extra damage but it varies depending on enemy resistances. Fire's a pretty good bet most of the time in the land of trees tho

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Flame Cleanse Me is very good for anyone and Flame Grant Me Strength is a powerful buff for any melee. Even ignoring the more situational spells those two justify the faith investment. For the areas where you deal with a ton of poison or rot you can get by with 7 faith + the faith talisman but that means giving up a talisman and not being able to use it when you need it unexpectedly. And of course no Flame grant me strength.

Weapon Arts are very cool and good that I regret sleeping on for as long as I did my first playthough. Putting some points into mind so you can use them several times per flask is worth it. They're also quick to swap at a grace so you can throw on a relevant one as needed. Being able to do elemental or status effects can help a lot in some areas even without changing the affinity you put on. And if not there's Lion Claw for unga-bunga.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The only SL1 class on Dark Souls 1 was pyromancer. And the only SL1 run I've ever done.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the only way 66 strength is too much strength is if you're two handing a single weapon and if you are i highly recommend one handing two weapons

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

66 STR was worth in Dark Souls 3 to use Ledo's Great Hammer (the biggest bonk ever) on its maximum glory.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Charliegrs posted:

I'm trying to decide what to do with my unga bunga strength build. I've been pouring points into strength but I'm wondering if that's kind of a waste at this point. Here's my current stats:

1 more point of dex will let you use the pulley crossbow. I know it's not super unga-bunga, but it's surprising how often you can use it to finish a fight on a boss who's busy swinging wildly infront of you. With bleed bolts it will give you a powerful option to take advantage of Malenia's immobility after her scarlet aeonia attack. Otherwise you'll just be sitting there waiting for the mist to settle.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Guillermus posted:

66 STR was worth in Dark Souls 3 to use Ledo's Great Hammer (the biggest bonk ever) on its maximum glory.

Rivaled by the smelter hammer in DS2. Debatably smaller bonk, but well worth the 70 strength

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's worth pointing out how wildly different the stat caps are going from the souls games to elden ring. in general the most you'd want in any one damage stat usually maxed out around 40, maybe 50 if you were going for something specific. vitality/vigor was usually in the mid 20's for the baseline, with anything over 40 making you an insane person. it's trended up over the course of the series (i'm pretty sure there was a staff in 2 that took 60 int, for example), but the damage stat caps being 80 in elden ring and the vigor cap being 60 is a gigantic leap

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Number go up. I wouldn't mind them throwing out a new game sometime. Something janky and low res that'd feel at home on the original PlayStation.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I just miss the subtle understated elegance of the Demon's Souls meat cleaver

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
That too. I think Demons souls sounds pretty good with it's focus not on twitchy timing, but on basically knowing what to do before you do it. They've over emphasized that and I think it gets hard to keep up if your not a veteran who plays to ng+7. Like yeah you can grind but I'd prefer they worry about other stuff than tightening up the bosses some more with feints.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Everything past DS2 has focused increasingly more on twitch reflexes, which I'm sure a lot of people like and is cool in a game that handles it (Bloodborne, and ER if you're only using Bloodhound's) but I think is a shame.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 12, 2022

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Charliegrs posted:

I'm currently rocking the Rhadan armor and greatsword. Should I keep putting points into strength? Or maybe more into endurance so I can wear some super heavy armor I haven't come across yet? I don't plan on changing to a different type of build I want to keep getting more unga bunga.

Your 50 endurance should be plenty, your 66 strength is excessive and you don't need any more until you're like level 200, and your vigor is scarily low. I would recommend going up to at least 40 vigor for that soft cap as your next move, and maybe 50+.

Weapon upgrade levels are a much more significant source of damage than any amount of strength over the 55 soft cap. Very late game you can push to 80 strength and still get some juice out of it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

War Wizard posted:

1 more point of dex will let you use the pulley crossbow. I know it's not super unga-bunga, but it's surprising how often you can use it to finish a fight on a boss who's busy swinging wildly infront of you. With bleed bolts it will give you a powerful option to take advantage of Malenia's immobility after her scarlet aeonia attack. Otherwise you'll just be sitting there waiting for the mist to settle.

Everyone has their own “X completely trivializes the game” I know, but the Pulley Crossbow can really do it even without status ammo. It’s actually pretty unga bunga due to the sheer volume of ammo you can pump out. I’m not ashamed to admit I just mag dumped on malenia while Tiche dodged her bullshit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I finally got around to trying that co-op mod with some friends and it's really fun. A bit jank and weird interactions happen every now and then, and also hilariously exploitable; the one friend who was brand new to the game was having trouble running through an area after dying by accident while we were waiting at the next bonfire over so to help we just kept sitting at the bonfire and resetting spawns while they ran through. All in all I think it's more fun than playing the vanilla game and look forward to seeing how weird things get, I really like how they handled the boss scaling so far too. We aren't super far but most of the focus seems to be on boss health or defenses, rather than just boosting their attack astronomically.

Charliegrs posted:

Two jar cannons and a jar hat.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

I love it when I clutch a 1v3! Also the double kill with waves of darkness made my day! That ash of war is so strong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zKuqtHIiI4

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 13, 2022

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Nuebot posted:

So I finally got around to trying that co-op mod with some friends and it's really fun. A bit jank and weird interactions happen every now and then, and also hilariously exploitable; the one friend who was brand new to the game was having trouble running through an area after dying by accident while we were waiting at the next bonfire over so to help we just kept sitting at the bonfire and resetting spawns while they ran through. All in all I think it's more fun than playing the vanilla game and look forward to seeing how weird things get, I really like how they handled the boss scaling so far too. We aren't super far but most of the focus seems to be on boss health or defenses, rather than just boosting their attack astronomically.

Two jar cannons and a jar hat.

Playing the seamless co-op mod with my wife right now. This is so much better than running thru every area twice. And it's so liberating to be able to *checks notes* walk into a cave together.

It's really quite incredible. But yeah, seeing some jankiness in the quest lines, but not a big deal since we've completed the game already.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
One/Only use for the woe of shabiri talisman is in co-op. Use it to create a tank class that hogs enemy aggro to enable a squishy DPS partner. It's a great way to help a friend feel like a badass.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've never killed an npc (unless they drew first blood). Now that I've done all the quests, are there any npcs I should kill in my next game to get cool stuff early on?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've never killed an npc (unless they drew first blood). Now that I've done all the quests, are there any npcs I should kill in my next game to get cool stuff early on?

I can't think of any that have anything worth much, maybe some basic type weapons a few levels above what you've got at the very start? The only real reason to kill them is if they're a merchant and in some spot in the rear end in a top hat of nowhere so you can get their bell bearing.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
On your second run you should go for the blessing of the 3 fingers and with it you should kill every single merchant so you can get the good ending and then in NG++ you already have their bell bearings and don't have to do evil in your good guy run for ending 3

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gowry and Tanith drop good loot if you kill them at the end of their questlines - good enough, in fact, that it seems like the game is encouraging you to do so. Tanith does have a final, nasty surprise for you if you plan to grab that loot, though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I know that Patches drops some cool leather armor, and Diallos drops his petal whip and mask. Maybe I will kill the merchants.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I usually kill Gostoc as a matter of course to stop him from stealing all my runes but he doesn't drop anything good

Patches' armor actually looks pretty cool but, y'know, Patches

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

You don't get Varre's Boquet if you kill him when you first meet him in the early game, which really upsets me. It's not even good! Let me have my wacky Arcane hammer early on for gimmick runs at least.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Blue Labrador posted:

You don't get Varre's Boquet if you kill him when you first meet him in the early game, which really upsets me. It's not even good! Let me have my wacky Arcane hammer early on for gimmick runs at least.

It annoys me that to get that weapon I had to gently caress up my eye coloration. I liked my dragon eyes, drat it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ironslave posted:

It annoys me that to get that weapon I had to gently caress up my eye coloration. I liked my dragon eyes, drat it.

I think you can pick and choose in Fia's magical mirror

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I have killed the merchant on the beach in Limgrave because he's a douche and his bell bearing puts arrows in Roundtable Hold (can't fathom why they're not there by default) but it's honestly not that hard to just warp to Kale's church every time you need them

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Ironslave posted:

This also pissed me off beyond belief. My first character was totally dragon themed, and the dragon eyes are such a cool piece of lore building. Why is there even a hierarchy for eye mutations? If you're gonna let me turn them off, at least let me choose between them as well.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Blue Labrador posted:

This also pissed me off beyond belief. My first character was totally dragon themed, and the dragon eyes are such a cool piece of lore building. Why is there even a hierarchy for eye mutations? If you're gonna let me turn them off, at least let me choose between them as well.

You can. Check you Fia's mirror in Roundtable.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

loquacius posted:

I usually kill Gostoc as a matter of course to stop him from stealing all my runes but he doesn't drop anything good

If you don't kill him, he sells an ancient dragon smithing stone if you do the Nepheli Loux/Kenny Haight quest.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

You can. Check you Fia's mirror in Roundtable.

Oh was that added in a recent patch? The last time I looked through the mirror options (a while ago) there was only an option to toggle all eye effects on or off, not specific versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Anime Liker posted:

On your second run you should go for the blessing of the 3 fingers and with it you should kill every single merchant so you can get the good ending and then in NG++ you already have their bell bearings and don't have to do evil in your good guy run for ending 3

Do you keep merchant bell bearings when you go to a new game cycle?