Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
From what I have seen in Sacramento, there have been many houses "pending sale" that fall through.

People probably got pre-approved at 4-5% but can't afford at 6%+

e:

this is just antidotal, I wish I had hard numbers of price drops and pending sales that get cancelled.

Fozzy The Bear has issued a correction as of 23:16 on Sep 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I live in a decidedly not hot market in western CT so prices never shot through the roof here, but they've been steadily climbing from their already overheated pre-pandemic levels and they're still going up despite homes sitting on the market for longer.

Same poo poo that happened out here around 2008. Houses never shot through the roof like in other places, also have never once come down in the past 20 years. There was a brief pause in the immediate aftermath of 2008 where prices held steady, then right back up again. The median home value in this area is just shy of $600k from around $450k six years ago.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/AlexanderMcCoy4/status/1568819652855271424

The investor class is openly admitting that they're obstructing home building so they can corner the market and no one's doing anything about it.

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.post-gazette.com/busine...es/202209110032

quote:

Pittsburgh renters cope with sticker shock as apartment costs spike

Pittsburgh’s residential rent prices have spiked since the onset of the pandemic as more households compete for fewer vacancies and inflation has boosted the cost of nearly every necessity.

“What I’ve seen over the last two years is when we have a home that goes vacant, we clean it up and we’re typically putting it back out there for a higher monthly rent,” said Josh Adamek, a Pittsburgh landlord who owns single-family homes within a 45-minute radius of the city.

“Each little pocket — or neighborhood — of Pittsburgh is different,” he said. “Sometimes it’s an extra $50 a month. Sometimes it’s an extra $200 or $300 a month. I can’t say that I see a decline in that.”

The average rent in Pittsburgh is running $1,590 for a studio, $1,694 for a one-bedroom apartment and $1,789 for a two-bedroom apartment, according to San Francisco-based ApartmentList.com, which lists 1,119 available rental units in Pittsburgh on its website.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Fozzy The Bear posted:

From what I have seen in Sacramento, there have been many houses "pending sale" that fall through.

People probably got pre-approved at 4-5% but can't afford at 6%+

e:

this is just antidotal, I wish I had hard numbers of price drops and pending sales that get cancelled.

There is no database that tracks pending sales that got cancelled that I know of, but zillow keeps track of houses being sold for less than asking and of price cuts:

https://www.zillow.com/research/data/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao rent to own model dear god .

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

https://opoulos.itch.io/simnimby

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

a bit surprised at how cheap Pittsburgh is still.
I was looking up houses in Shadyside which is a nice area close by CMU and you can get places for half a million which is peanuts by the standards of a major city

Apr 7, 2003

Most people don't have a half million sitting around to buy a house, nor can they finance a half million dollar mortgage.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://twitter.com/AlexanderMcCoy4/status/1568819652855271424

The investor class is openly admitting that they're obstructing home building so they can corner the market and no one's doing anything about it.

that just says that they're aware of the shortage and taking advantage of it? Great business savvy nevertheless, we love our Blackrock dont we folks

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Greatly expanding Section 8 seems like the only way for our elected officials to ease the housing crunch

its a public-private partnership and a subsidy to landlords, truly a bipartisan solution for us all

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
whoops missed the goldrush

Days on market: 57

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Greatly expanding Section 8 seems like the only way for our elected officials to ease the housing crunch

its a public-private partnership and a subsidy to landlords, truly a bipartisan solution for us all

Just make the federal government the only legal landlord and set all rent prices at cost of ownership and maintaince. As long an antagonistic political party (or two) doesn't deliberately sabotage the program we're good to go.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

no build more houses

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ammanas posted:

no build more. houses??

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Ammanas posted:

no build more houses

build more large apartments imo. straight upward. also use some sort of .... green technology... to make them gooder

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ammanas posted:

no build more houses

that's not neoliberal enough and blackrock et al would just buy them up anyways

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ammanas posted:

no build more houses

The yimby's rule, they have some of the biggest baby brains out there.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

indigi posted:

build more large apartments imo. straight upward. also use some sort of .... green technology... to make them gooder

they're building huge apartment buildings downtown here and they all cost minimum $3k/mo for a studio

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
they shouldn't do that imo. also no studios

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

that's not neoliberal enough and blackrock et al would just buy them up anyways

easily resolved with simple change in tax codes lol..lmao

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

that's not neoliberal enough

What if we built more housing apps?

Apr 7, 2003

new grandma house just dropped

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh/811-Sebring-Ave-15216/home/73502321

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
that bathroom is horrendous

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

We’re they dragging bodies back and forth across the carpet to the kitchen what the gently caress

Apr 7, 2003

Probably just an old person who didn't change or replace anything in the house from 1972 on and died in there.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
667/mo, that's basically free

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

are you loving high? aside from being in america thats a fine house

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

and it costs as much as like 2 cars jesus

Apr 7, 2003

some new carpet, paint, replace that wood paneling with drywall and you're in business.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
the house would be a good before and after carpet cleaning advertisement. would like to see how close it gets to the unworn sections that furniture was on.

Apr 7, 2003

Was last sold in 1962 according to the county real estate page and I doubt anywhere in America has sold pink shag carpet like that since 1975, poo poo's probably had the color walked right out of it.

Owner just died at age 89 according to the obituaries, this is someone who lives elsewhere trying to offload their dad's house with a minimum of fuss.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
I'd want a complete bathroom redo

Apr 7, 2003

"want" and "need" are two different things though

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Is that part of PA relatively cheap because even trying to offload it fast and how hosed up it is inside that poo poo is crazy.

Apr 7, 2003

That's inside city limits Pittsburgh, it's four blocks from my house and more than I paid for mine in 2015 in updated, livable condition.

They're century+ old homes with mostly no garages or driveways so I don't think the prices are that cheap. A landlord will probably snap that up and rent or flip it though.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That's inside city limits Pittsburgh, it's four blocks from my house and more than I paid for mine in 2015 in updated, livable condition.

I’m coming over for dinner

Apr 7, 2003

That house is less than one block from a light rail station

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

you may not want to be so specific on your location?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

you may not want to be so specific on your location?

There are several hundred houses within four blocks of that one, I'm not particularly worried about it.