Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The fact that they still have their phones and have not actively tried to physically destroy them is just comedy hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I dont get why you would even need their phone anymore. I bought a new phone and samsung graciously provided me with all of my contacts, texts, emails, etc. with one click.

They have your poo poo already, why do they need the actual phone?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CommieGIR posted:

The fact that they still have their phones and have not actively tried to physically destroy them is just comedy hour.

During a breaking bad rewatch it bugged me how characters like Gus or Mike who are shown as having top tier opsec dispose of incriminating flip phones by snapping them in half and throwing them in the trash without getting the SIM cards.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

During a breaking bad rewatch it bugged me how characters like Gus or Mike who are shown as having top tier opsec dispose of incriminating flip phones by snapping them in half and throwing them in the trash without getting the SIM cards.

A lot of older flip phones were CDMA, not GSM, so they didn't even have SIM cards.
I can't say when they were phased out entirely offhand, but when I got rid of my cell in 2009 CDMA models were still common and being sold new.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

I dont get why you would even need their phone anymore. I bought a new phone and samsung graciously provided me with all of my contacts, texts, emails, etc. with one click.

They have your poo poo already, why do they need the actual phone?

End to end encryption is useless if you have control of one of the ends.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

kupachek posted:

A lot of older flip phones were CDMA, not GSM, so they didn't even have SIM cards.
I can't say when they were phased out entirely offhand, but when I got rid of my cell in 2009 CDMA models were still common and being sold new.

Ah I didn’t know that, my mistake.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Ah I didn’t know that, my mistake.

I wouldn't quite call it a mistake, but it's one of those things where it might not be an error. still a worthy detail catch.
Other than that, disposing of an item in a randomly chosen receptacle used to be a valid tactic before geofencing and ubiquitous presence of mounted cameras ramped up.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

End to end encryption is useless if you have control of one of the ends.

But if you get a clone of the phone, wouldnt you get the encryption key?

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

My Spirit Otter posted:

The entire point of end to end encryption is that the key never leaves the end. It's only ever on the phone itself. A forensic image (perfect bit by bit copy of the phone) requires physical custody.

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

:nsa:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nick Soapdish posted:

Sir, this is an Arby's where we seize government evidence

I'll have a 5 piece fish and chips, please.

It was a limited time offer. :(

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

kupachek posted:

I wouldn't quite call it a mistake, but it's one of those things where it might not be an error. still a worthy detail catch.
Other than that, disposing of an item in a randomly chosen receptacle used to be a valid tactic before geofencing and ubiquitous presence of mounted cameras ramped up.

Kinda related, Strange New Worlds is excellent but in the second episode they’re trying to shock a flatline. Would have thought shows would have stopped doing that by now.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Kinda related, Strange New Worlds is excellent but in the second episode they’re trying to shock a flatline. Would have thought shows would have stopped doing that by now.

They still show CPR just being a thing you can resurrect people with. Nothing about the 5 broken ribs they're probably going to have and probably collapsed lung.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CainFortea posted:

They still show CPR just being a thing you can resurrect people with. Nothing about the 5 broken ribs they're probably going to have and probably collapsed lung.

There used to be a fun blog by an Air Force doctor who primarily reviewed episodes of House for medical accuracy but he’d also bring up comics with terrible health errors, like Batman taking an emergency dose of homeopathic medicine, or Nightwing bandaging a wound over the costume. Wish I could remember the name of it, had a lot of fascinating posts.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

This is the first clip of Chucky 3 that's made him seem remotely human. My cynical brain thinks this was released to humanize him after his peevish gesturing at the help to move a pen holder made the rounds.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hyrax Attack! posted:

There used to be a fun blog by an Air Force doctor who primarily reviewed episodes of House for medical accuracy but he’d also bring up comics with terrible health errors, like Batman taking an emergency dose of homeopathic medicine, or Nightwing bandaging a wound over the costume. Wish I could remember the name of it, had a lot of fascinating posts.

I won’t name names because I think he’s trying to keep a low profile but we’ve got a USAF Doc here in GiP and I feel like there’s a remote, say 1% chance, this blog is his lol.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

rip to a real one

https://twitter.com/mrbrendanjay/status/1569814061696831488

link to the obit
https://www.winespectator.com/articles/wine-industry-iconoclast-fred-franzia-dies-at-79

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Another Greatest Generation Warrior, James H. “Pee Wee” Martin, departed this life yesterday on Patriot’s Day, September 11. He was 101—the number of the very Army division that represented his proudest achievements in life outside of his wife, children, and grandchildren. The 101st Airborne Division and his wartime brothers meant the world to Jim Martin. And he devoted a lifetime to telling their story.

It's natural to look for greater-than-life stories in our WWII Veterans—a Dick Winters bayonet charge in Holland, an Albert Spiers sprint beyond and back through enemy lines in Belgium. But more often than not, greater-than-life meant simply taking your place on the line. Jim Martin did so relentlessly. And his story represents thousands.

One of Colonel Sink's original "Toccoa Men", Jim Martin joined the renowned 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment at Camp Toccoa in July 1942. He was soon given the nickname "Pee Wee" due to being the lightest man in the regiment. A young man with grit and a lot of spunk, he accepted the moniker with pride.

After completing his initial training at Camp Toccoa, Jim Martin moved with the 506th to Ft. Benning, GA, for jump training and then on to Camp Mackall for airborne infantry training. In preparation for the coming invasion of Hitler's "Fortress Europe", the 506th crossed the Atlantic on the HMS Samaria. The Nazi U-boat threat was gone but still fresh on everyone's mind.

After arriving in England in September 1943 Jim Martin was billeted in the town of Ramsbury in Wiltshire where the 506th completed their pre-invasion training—all a new adventure for this young man from rural Pennsylvania.

On June 6, 1944, at 12:30 AM, Jim Martin parachuted into Normandy, landing near Saint-Côme-du-Mont behind Utah Beach. D-Day was supposed to be a short-term mission for the Airborne. Jim Martin fought in the Normandy campaign for 33 days until the 101st was relieved and returned to England in July.

Next up was operation Market Garden. On September 17, 1944, Jim Martin jumped into Holland in the leading wave of "Operation Market Garden". He landed near the town of Son where his unit fought to secure what became known as "Hell's Highway".

After more than 60 days of fighting in Holland, the 506th PIR was finally given some relief and was sent to Mourmelon, France in November. On December 16, 1944, Germany launched its last major offensive in the West, The Ardennes Offensive...soon to be known as the "Battle of the Bulge". Back in action again, Jim Martin was trucked over 100 miles to the Belgian crossroads town of Bastogne. There he served as part of the defensive line on the northern perimeter where he and his fellow soldiers endured bitter cold and 39 days of some of the most brutal fighting on the Western Front.

But then came for many what was the worst—the liberation of the concentration camps. As American troops advanced into Germany there was a general feeling of elation. Discovery of the camps turned that into a feeling of disgust. For men like Jim Martin the camps redefined their notion of “why we fight.”

As the war in Europe began to end, Jim Martin was one of the most battle-tested and experienced soldiers in his unit. What that meant for him was “points”. Jim Martin had enough points to be on his way home. He celebrated his 24th birthday on April 29, 1945, as one of the troops occupying Hitler's mountain home in Berchtesgaden, Bavaria. Soon thereafter, he was on a ship docking in New York, USA..

In early 1946, Jim did what so many returning GIs did. He began the process of living life well. He had had enough war to last a lifetime. He married Donna Veverka of Newton, Iowa. They built their own home in poetically named Sugarcreek Township and had five children. After nearly 73 years of marriage Donna passed away in 2019. But Jim carried on doing what he had committed his life to—meeting the public and carrying forward an eyewitness account of his unit’s experiences. His mission to the end was to keep the stories of his WWII brothers alive to enrich and inspire others.

On the 70th anniversary of D-Day (2014) at the age of 93 and on the 75th anniversary of Operation Market Garden (2019) at age 98, Jim Martin became the last “Toccoa Original” American paratrooper to jump over Normandy and Holland. We should all be doing that at 98! Well, not to disappoint, at 99, he jumped again!

Does it take an experience like a world war to teach us to live well? Perhaps that's why we admire Jim Martin and men like him. They've been satisfied with life and lived it well. Humble, appreciative, and non-assuming, Jim Martin was quite outspoken. As his closest friends attest, he’d challenge anyone to live each day to its fullest. Add to that, he’d challenge anyone here to live life as a proud American. He had no time for citizens who would settle for less.

General Patton wrote an often-quoted phrase that rather than mourn the loss of our heroes we should give thanks that such men lived. THANK YOU, Jim Martin, for answering the call when your country needed you most. And thank you for your presence among us since. We carry the torch now. May you rest in peace, and may we see you again under blue skies.

Currahee!

A few days late but R.I.P to one of the greats.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
RIP.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/DevlinBarrett/status/1569801596371963907?s=20&t=vQQ7fHJsYlyNVjecx93Lww

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/sadmonsters/status/1569736373317369856?t=xb8RTFt7aAoehXXAmIXDHQ&s=19

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Throw em all in jail. Fuckers.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I love finding out that Disney is churning out another CGI remake from the current events thread

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Edit: Whoops meant for Ukraine thread

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

The actual text messages are hilarious:

https://twitter.com/GanucheauAdam/status/1569727605120679936

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

they also funnelled $3MM to The Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase in the form of no-show speaking fees

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The current governor is trying to bury as much as possible to help her pals. She fired the prosecutor when he sought subpoenas from the state over the records.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
This is why republicans want to convert medicaid to block grants - so they can deny the money to anyone who need it and otherwise use it as the governor’s personal slush fund.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Looks like I got the Lindell thing wrong - it's apparently not connected to the fake electors, but connected to the Colorado clerk Tina Peters that brought people in the breach election equipment (and leak it to Lindell).

https://twitter.com/KELLYWEILL/status/1569904248443355137?t=g_bovPloYqxUahdh0Sb82Q&s=19

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If they can wrap Bortbort up in this, I will be so happy.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

Looks like I got the Lindell thing wrong - it's apparently not connected to the fake electors, but connected to the Colorado clerk Tina Peters that brought people in the breach election equipment (and leak it to Lindell).

https://twitter.com/KELLYWEILL/status/1569904248443355137?t=g_bovPloYqxUahdh0Sb82Q&s=19

Its a pretty Nothing Matters situation though. Unless people like Lindell, specifically, themselves, end up in jail it's a range from meaningless to counter productive. If a low level flunky/true believing idiot gets bagged that's just a bigger bloody t-shirt they get to wave for the rest of the braying MAGA masses. Until the loudest mouths start suffering consequences everything is a bonus for them.

Which is not to say that it's guaranteed to go positively for everyone else if they do start getting nailed. Not a major leap to see some of these fuckers publish "My Struggles; An autobiography of how I learned to hate the liberals" and repeat history from there. It's at least a better chance of shutting their poo poo down than what's going on now though.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

It is very on point to for the pillowman to have his phone seized at a Hardee's

Would only be more on point for Tromp to be arrested in a McDonald's drive thru

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
How stupid do you have to be to not ditch your phone the moment they start getting seized for things that you were definitely in on?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

fknlo posted:

How stupid do you have to be to not ditch your phone the moment they start getting seized for things that you were definitely in on?

The mindset of affluent white conservatives is that "law and order" is for keeping the other in their place. To the extent they are willing to recognize the justice system is cruel, capricious, dehuminizing, and brutal they revel in it's application to their lessers. It's victims deserve it for being criminals, disrespectful (insufficiently submissive), or minorities. They cannot conceive of themselves being on the receiving end because that's not the natural order and they self identify as good people. Likewise, when they are on the receiving end they are convinced it's a corrupt official specifically targeting them for excessive cruelty because they can't conceive this is the normal operation of a system their privilege previously insulated them from.

During the George Floyd protests one of the chuds in my family would not shut up about how Floyd was a criminal and had drugs and deserved what he got. I pointed out they're also a drug(weed)* dealer and had drugs with them that very moment so that means they deserve the same happening to them. Anyways that's reason #42069 why I'm a libtard soyboy.

Likewise when my stepmom got her DUI she developed the biggest persecution complex about how someone had to be personally out to get her and how excessively mistreated she was. At no point did she stop and reflect that it was the natural consequence of her choices under a system she supported. Instead she rode that victim complex straight into QAnon.

So yeah these chuds and magamorons don't do opsec because they can't believe that they're ever going to be held accountable for their actions.

*I have no actual problem with weed but do have a problem with hypocrites acting like their weed use is different just because they're white.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I sentence everyone involved in this story with one week of hard time in Hardspace: Shipbreaker.

https://twitter.com/AaronKatersky/status/1570065862127923204?t=1oFZvJ5Sdf6Y7WnvjxjkVw&s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How is air pressure in plastic being described as a “detonation”?

This isn’t, like, a tank for SCUBA that can take a couple hundred atmospheres.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

fknlo posted:

Iron clad belief that Trump will drain the swamp before the wheels of justice can grind them to a pulp?

Good ole boys club privilege and the assumption that they're above the law?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Platystemon posted:

How is air pressure in plastic being described as a “detonation”?

This isn’t, like, a tank for SCUBA that can take a couple hundred atmospheres.

Surströmming in a plastic box or something?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/jonwurster/status/1569897321181356035?s=46&t=FSFvQbGi11Z-XBQ38BjOKA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hekk posted:

Surströmming in a plastic box or something?

Jfc talk about warcrimes