Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

Still don't get why you'd get an RP3 instead of an RP2+, I guess just bigger screen and a real right analog?

Flip that around: Why would you get an RP2+ instead of an RP3? A smaller screen and fake right stick just to save $20?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Smaller total package if you aren’t playing 16:9 games to begin with.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rolo posted:

Smaller total package if you aren’t playing 16:9 games to begin with.

I'm not putting it in my JNCO pocket to whip out on the subway anyway

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Also I don't think the RP2+ has clickable sticks?

How many retro games use R3/L3 anyway? I never heard of it before more modern systems, like the PS3/Wii U generation.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Walla posted:

How many retro games use R3/L3 anyway? I never heard of it before more modern systems, like the PS3/Wii U generation.

Ape Escape is the only one I can think of, along with being the only title of the era I can think of that requires dual analog.

Some PS2 titles make more use of them, but the RP2+ can't reliably run those anyways so whatever. The only time I think it'd be a major problem is for GC games, but many of those don't run great anyways

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I also don't remember the Gamecube having L3, and it certainly didn't have an R3. In Dolphin it'd be more of a concern for Wii, since the classic controller did have both.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Cube's lack of L1, L3, R3 and Select caused a lot of ports to have.. Interesting control decisions. The Splinter Cell ports have a LOT of holding Z and pressing three other buttons to do something, it's bad

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Twin Snakes did a pretty good job, especially considering the ps2 control scheme it was trying to replace was one of the few that actually used the pressure sensitive face buttons

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The Retroid Pocket 3 is definitely looking tempting though I'll probably wait till it becomes available through Amazon since I'd rather not deal with the whole shipping from China thing unless absolutely necessary

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

Twin Snakes did a pretty good job, especially considering the ps2 control scheme it was trying to replace was one of the few that actually used the pressure sensitive face buttons

Twin Snakes has what may be the single worst bit of control design I have ever encountered.
You want to aim your FAMAS in first person?

Hold Z to enter first person.
Hold Y to engage the safety catch.
Hold A to pull the trigger.
Release Y to fire.

You have to do this, because simply entering first person with the FAMAS equipped does not give you any kind of sight by which to aim, and the gun only comes up to a firing position and displays the laser once you hold A to fire, so unless you perform this set of finger gymnastics, you can't see where your bullets will go until you start firing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The_White_Crane posted:

Twin Snakes has what may be the single worst bit of control design I have ever encountered.
You want to aim your FAMAS in first person?

Hold Z to enter first person.
Hold Y to engage the safety catch.
Hold A to pull the trigger.
Release Y to fire.

You have to do this, because simply entering first person with the FAMAS equipped does not give you any kind of sight by which to aim, and the gun only comes up to a firing position and displays the laser once you hold A to fire, so unless you perform this set of finger gymnastics, you can't see where your bullets will go until you start firing.

I simply avoided this by doing a non-lethal run and only using the tranq pistol as god intended.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Does anyone know how to enable turbo for Megadrive games on a 351? Running Amberelec

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

njsykora posted:

I also don't remember the Gamecube having L3, and it certainly didn't have an R3. In Dolphin it'd be more of a concern for Wii, since the classic controller did have both.

The classic controller didn't have L3/R3 either actually lol, makes the otherwise good ports of BO1 and MW3 awkward with Jump/Run having double duty on one button

beer gas canister posted:

Does anyone know how to enable turbo for Megadrive games on a 351? Running Amberelec

You'd have to bind them in the quick menu > controls, then save them per game

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

kirbysuperstar posted:

You'd have to bind them in the quick menu > controls, then save them per game

Hoo boy. It'd be nice if it worked that way, wouldn't it? It sure SHOULD work that way. But this is tying into one of my biggest complaints about Retroarch, and how stupidly it handles input binding. Some (but very few) cores have an internal turbo button setting you can just assign to buttons in the controls menu, but the vast majority don't have that. But you CAN set up turbo globally with some effort.

First, you have to assign a 'Turbo Button', which works similarly to the hotkey button, in the global "Port 1 Controls" input menu (at the very bottom), NOT the per-game control menu. Don't have a spare button on your controller that isn't doing anything? Tough poo poo, guess you're doubling up on something, or taking a button out.

You then have to save your global config with that turbo button set. Oh, you just need it for this one game? Tough poo poo, Retroarch refuses to save global input settings along with the rest of your settings when you save an override. You COULD text-edit your override config files to add them and it works just fine. But you can't save input overrides from the UI. Presumably because the devs just don't trust you with that kind of m-m-m-massive power.

Anyway, under "Classic" mode, you have to hold the button you want to make turbo, then press the assigned Turbo button to toggle it. So hold A, tab Turbo, A is now turbo until you do it again. You can also change it in the Controls menu to Single Button mode, where just pressing the Turbo button fires the chosen button. THIS setting can be saved in your override. Just not the Turbo hotkey.

It's frustrating because, if you're happy to give up your Select button for this particular game to make it a turbo hotkey.. well, you can't, you have to give it up *globally*, as part of the global config. Which you wouldn't. If you want to use a spare button that isn't used for the current system, like R2 in a system that only has L/R.. well, again tough poo poo, because you're giving up R2 globally across all emulators as part of the global config. Thinking about doubling up FN? Well I guess for single button mode that could work, if you don't mind reaching over to it to fire, but you can't press it at the same time as any of your other hotkeys.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Actually you're right - one of the things I like about the default GB core for Amber is that..well the shoulder buttons aren't used so just holding R2 is a held speed toggle. But seemingly no other core does it, even if they don't use the shoulders at all and uuuughhh.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I got an rg351v on sale from Anbernic in the last couple of weeks, it finally arrived and I'm just starting to get it set up. Is the general consensus that I should not bother with the default firmware and just go straight to Amberelec?

Also any recommendations on a good case for the 351v? Mine didn't come with one.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Go straight to Amberelec. The default firmware isn’t nearly as good.

As far as cases go, I got the one recommended by Russ from RGC and I like it a lot. It’s a little snug but it fits the system and a USB C to A charging cable without any fuss. Here’s his video so you can see how it fits in the case.

https://youtu.be/A7vgt0xoCkg

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

"Just try and not make it too obvious we're copying the PSP design."
https://twitter.com/softwincn/status/1569873926515466246

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Okay, but that is a lovely looking concept. PSP with slideout keyboard is a neat idea.
I can't imagine I'll actually want to buy one; I suspect the price/utility balance isn't going to work out for me, considering how many other gaming devices I have, but I do like the look of it.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Yeah the PSP Go was a really cool design and I'm surprised it wasn't expanded or copied more. It also had the incredibly useful save state function built in, which I haven't seen on any of the mainline handhelds since then.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
They kinda reused it for that Xperia Play phone didn’t they, albeit with no “real” analogue stick.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think the main problem with that new GPD is going to be the battery life. It’s using a 6800 and even the large battery in the WIN Max chews through it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What's the best way to emulate DS and 3DS games? I've got both a DS and 3DS XL kicking around, am I best off just getting a flash cart? If so, what's the preferred flash cart these days?

I know in theory the rg351v can emulate DS games but I'm kind of at a loss as to how that would work...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It’s actually really easy to hack your 3DS.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, it's become a meme, but the 3DS is really hackable without much in the way of fiddly poo poo.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

njsykora posted:

It’s actually really easy to hack your 3DS.

Bogart posted:

Yeah, it's become a meme, but the 3DS is really hackable without much in the way of fiddly poo poo.

This. It’s really difficult to replicate the dual screens on another device so just hack that sucker

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bogart posted:

I did it and idk how the gently caress I get my shoes on sometimes.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

MockingQuantum posted:

What's the best way to emulate DS and 3DS games? I've got both a DS and 3DS XL kicking around, am I best off just getting a flash cart? If so, what's the preferred flash cart these days?

I know in theory the rg351v can emulate DS games but I'm kind of at a loss as to how that would work...

For 3DS, just use your 3DS XL. Hack it and you don't even need a flash cart, though the hack I used required a specific game from the online store and I'm not sure if that's been killed yet.

For most DS, yeah the rg351 is fine but obviously not everything is playable with one screen. I played through the castlevanias, Ghost Trick, and a Phoenix Wright on it just fine just swapping screens as necessary. You might as well just use your 3DS though and not have to worry.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Great, sounds easy (hopefully). I'll look into it. Thanks!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

MockingQuantum posted:

grab a cheap DSi XL from jbone in the SA mart thread!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Follow this guide, I used it for both my 3DS XL and 2DS XL and it worked like a charm

https://3ds.hacks.guide

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Follow this guide, I used it for both my 3DS XL and 2DS XL and it worked like a charm

https://3ds.hacks.guide

Once it's hacked, TwilightMenu++ is the DS emulator for the 3DS. Or you can use a flashcart.

Also TM can read the files on your flashcart and either run them through the emulator or boot the flashcart. Really gives you the best possible compatibility.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also DS and 3DS games aren’t that big so you can load a formidable library on even a small SD card.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

grab a cheap DSi XL from jbone in the SA mart thread!
I'll vouch for this as well, I'm quite pleased with my purchase. They come with Unlaunch pre-installed, so you don't even have to hack them, just stick TwilightMenu on an SD card and you're good to go.

Here's a link to the thread.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yeah I hacked my 3ds high as hell, and took a nap midway through. Very easy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I bought a second hand 2DS XL and it was already hacked.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I’m kind of a dumb dumb and even I managed to hack my 3ds :)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Alright since I'm already starting down this road, what's the best way to emulate PSP games? My rg351v seems to struggle with them, and I see Amberelec lists it as "mixed" anyway. I have a Vita sitting around collecting dust, I assume I may as well hack that too?

edit: oh lol looks like the same page with the 3DS instructions has Vita instructions so I guess I'll just do that...

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
PPSSPP is a really good emulator. But also, we've got a console / handheld homebrew thread here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

A 351v is definitely too slow for most PSP games, though some will do just fine - most VN type things, 2D stuff like Tales of Eternia, ZHP etc. Otherwise, yeah Adrenaline on Vita is great. PPSSPP on PC/phones also, though there's a small handful of games that don't work (Silverfall and Brooktown High are all I can think of off the top of my head) that a Vita will happily play.