Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i think thats a bit of an exaggeration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Apparently the boosters we are getting here in Canada are the formula for b.1 and not b.4 or 5. Still worth getting? (Lol I’m not even eligible yet) Wait for the b.5 ones?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Salt Fish posted:

The only way to hear about it is to post either in this thread or the cspam thread. I haven't seen a single mention of it outside of SA and nobody I know has known about it when I've brought it up.

Yeah I know a bunch of people who aren't terminally online who are getting their bivalent boosters this month. It's definitely out there on social meida.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

The only way to hear about it is to post either in this thread or the cspam thread. I haven't seen a single mention of it outside of SA and nobody I know has known about it when I've brought it up.

Theres this thing called "The News" and the when the new boosters were approved it was all over them. I'm sure even Fox News mentioned it once or twice.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
No one under sixty years old watches TV news.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

It was on the front page (physical and web) of the New York Times :shrug:

e.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buRP_2XAQys

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My parents'/grandparents' social circles who had no idea about Paxlovid are at least aware of the new boosters. None of them have gotten one yet, though :shepface:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

RoastBeef posted:

It was on the front page (physical and web) of the New York Times :shrug:

"Well if TV is too old for you, I'll bet you kids would love a good news paper"

Okay grandpa it was nice visiting with you but we need to go now.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Apparently the boosters we are getting here in Canada are the formula for b.1 and not b.4 or 5. Still worth getting? (Lol I’m not even eligible yet) Wait for the b.5 ones?

Get whatever's available now. By the time you're able to get a B4/5 shot, they may no longer be the dominate lineages.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

DickParasite posted:

they may no longer be the dominate

:tizzy:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I get it, but it's a common mistake and I figure phoneposting probably makes it worse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol when a descendent of Kappa emerges on November twenty‐third and renders Omicron‐elicited antibodies obsolete

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Platystemon posted:

No one under sixty years old watches TV news.

Who said anything about TV news? I don't know if you were are but there are these called "websites" that you can news from. Or is that only for boomers too?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Quick, someone update that funny vaccine collecting tiktok to cover the new strains!

Dr. Jim Sadler
Jan 6, 2006

No, the fact that -you- don't wanna wear a thong is because you're still afraid of 9/11!
I can give the rare data point of near simultaneous booster and COVID infection. I got the new Moderna booster on Sunday before Labor Day (this was my 5th shot overall, had 2 Moderna’s and 2 Pfizer’s before). Usual Moderna symptoms for me, aches, fever on Sunday night into Monday. Felt okay Tuesday, maybe a little tired. Woke up Wednesday with a fever and feeling awful. Seemed like a long time to still be a vaccine side effect, so got tested and it came back positive.

Had about 2 days of flu like symptoms, but by Friday night was feeling great and that’s continued since. This was my first COVID infection. Kind of annoying that I finally get it just as I got the new booster. Feel like I got away pretty light though and I haven’t noticed anything messed up with my heart rate when running like I’ve heard from a lot of other runners, even ones who had very mild infections.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Thanks thread, just booked an apartment for the “updated pfizer” spot, and a flu shot. For Friday, in case I’m going to feel like dragged rear end. I could have done for today even.

Yeah, I don’t watch TV news, get the news paper, and have long since disconnected my ticker machine.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Salt Fish posted:

I'm in Seattle, and it's definitely been a big part of the conversation with my friends and coworkers, most of whom aren't as terminally online as I am. It's also been in the local non-TV media like the Stranger and the Seattle Met among other things.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

I got the new booster and the flu shot on Saturday. Slept like poo poo that night and Sunday was a little rough, but I was okay after that.

How long does it take to kick in? I'm in the office 3 days a week, and people are starting to drop like flies. I know of 2 or 3 people here who came down with Covid late last week/this week.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I also have heard about it literally nowhere other than here. I'm getting mine later today, but yea, the info doesn't seem to be out there the same way previous ones were at least.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

IUG posted:

Thanks thread, just booked an apartment for the “updated pfizer” spot, and a flu shot. For Friday, in case I’m going to feel like dragged rear end. I could have done for today even.

Yeah, I don’t watch TV news, get the news paper, and have long since disconnected my ticker machine.
GBS ftw
:dance:

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Flu shot and covid booster yesterday. Arms are a little sore and I feel a little tired, but pretty minor side effects overall.

I feel like booster awareness is pretty high, at least around here. It's been on the news, it's on social media, it's in the paper. There's a big electronic billboard I pass that tells you how to schedule an appointment. If you go to Rite Aid or CVS there are signs plastered all over the place.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I live in "The South" if you know what I mean.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Office sent out an email notification that someone has tested positive.
Email also does not mention any names, but there is only one person taking sick leave this week. :v:
Email further states that whoever it is "wore a mask" which is laughable bullshit. I am literally the only individual who wears a mask in the office now.

Hooray.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Are there any good treatments for long covid stuff yet? Long covid sucks rear end, and it would be nice to have it suck less rear end.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Did insurance companies quietly stop paying for lab tests? My wife got a $150 bill for a test from March when before we'd not get charged anything.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chainclaw posted:

Are there any good treatments for long covid stuff yet? Long covid sucks rear end, and it would be nice to have it suck less rear end.

Mostly it's a lot of woo, like taking tumeric or eating beets, which you're welcome to try and for the most part isn't necessarily harmful to your body, but you probably won't see the results you're imagining or hoping for. It's only been 2.5yr since our knowledge of the condition existed in all of human history, there are only a few hospitals worldwide that are trying to study it at length, and there's little to no big money interests in researching it. So far we only know for certain that it's some kind of ailment that can affect various systems and bodily functions depending on how you were attacked by your infection--for some people, it's microclotting that doesn't respond to anticoagulants; for others it's the death of half or more of their peripheral capillaries; and others still digestive dysfunction or things like "my covid got into my non-replenishing cells and used those to replicate" like eating your pancreas or your brain.

just, yknow, don't listen to someone who's like "i treated my long covid with radon gas!!!"

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 15, 2022

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I am in my early 40s, got 2 doses of Pfizer last spring and a booster last November/December, have not had any vaxx since then so I am effectively back to unvaccinated at this point, right?

I am flying out Monday to a work event where I'll be in close quarters with 50-60+ people for 3 days, with a few hours of plane/train rides on either side.

Would getting this year's booster in the next day or two give me some degree of extra coverage/protection prior to this upcoming trip?

This will be the highest-risk scenario I have been in since early 2020, and I will probably wear a mask on the plane/train but not when spending time in offices with coworkers next week.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Parker Lewis posted:

I am in my early 40s, got 2 doses of Pfizer last spring and a booster last November/December, have not had any vaxx since then so I am effectively back to unvaccinated at this point, right?

I am flying out Monday to a work event where I'll be in close quarters with 50-60+ people for 3 days, with a few hours of plane/train rides on either side.

Would getting this year's booster in the next day or two give me some degree of extra coverage/protection prior to this upcoming trip?

This will be the highest-risk scenario I have been in since early 2020, and I will probably wear a mask on the plane/train but not when spending time in offices with coworkers next week.

wear a mask around your coworkers. work to live, dont live to work. theyre not friends, theyre not family. mask up.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Parker Lewis posted:

If your trip is on Monday then getting boosted again before then probably won't make much of a difference. From what I understand, it takes about 2 weeks for the antibodies to build up after a shot. So yeah get the shot but don't expect to be fully protected for another 2 weeks.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Parker Lewis posted:

It takes two weeks to reach full effectiveness.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
So go get it this hour and not in 2.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

the only solution is to mask up (KN95 or better) or risk covid for…work. obviously you’re concerned about covid otherwise you wouldnt have posted here asking these questions, so dont be peer pressured into putting yourself and your family at risk. for work.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Parker Lewis posted:

Eh, you probably won't die, but you will probably get it.

quote:

Not much, it takes about two weeks to reach full efficacy.

quote:

This will be the highest-risk scenario I have been in since early 2020, and I will probably wear a mask on the plane/train
wear an N95 with head straps or you will get it. Auras are good and available in a box of ten at Home Depot. If you don't have it yet and can afford it, go apply for Pre-Check to avoid the longass lines at security.

quote:

but not when spending time in offices with coworkers next week.
Well then just never mind about masking on public transportation, because you WILL get it at the office. Omicron is stupidly contagious. My kid got got because she was sneaking sips of water during class and otherwise masked up.

Just to clarify, your logic is basically 'I'll wear a condom at the big city orgy with strangers because I don't want to get any STIs, but I know everyone's names at my local orgy so I should be fine barebacking.'

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oracle posted:

you will probably get it.

quote:

you will get it.

quote:

you WILL get it at the office.

You know it’s possible to… not? Like yeah don’t like door handles or suck in the breath of strangers wearing Trump 2024 shirts but it is possible to leave your house and not get covid these days.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EL BROMANCE posted:

it is possible to leave your house and not get covid these days.

With respirator, all things are possible.

Amen.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I haven't worn a mask since February and still haven't gotten covid. Probably comes down to immense willpower and well balanced humors .

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

EL BROMANCE posted:

You know it’s possible to… not? Like yeah don’t like door handles or suck in the breath of strangers wearing Trump 2024 shirts but it is possible to leave your house and not get covid these days.
International travel with thousands of people, then lots of time hanging out with 50+ people who did the same, you are 100% going to be exposed multiple times. Last vax 9 months ago is not going to provide sterilizing immunity. You can try to bet on drinking orange juice and getting lots of sleep, but it would be much smarter to bet on wearing an N95

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

I'm pretty sure the new flu vaccines come out around midyear, preparing for (northern hemisphere) autumn and winter. If you got one in January, it was last year's.

set up for new booster, my second, and flu shot this weekend.

Gimme the needle.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Get the new bivalent vaxx now? Or wait till the flu season?

There both available now I think and there are trying to get everyone to take both. But I thought the flu vaccine was better if you took it in late October

I'm double vaxxed and had my only booster once 11 months ago or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Covid doesn't seem to be strongly seasonal, unlike the flu, so I figire school getting back in session is a good reason to get it asap. Just to be clear the bivalent covid vaxx doesn't include flu (though they've talked about doing it all in one eventually which is why that could be a point of confusion), it's just original plus the top two omicrons. So you can get the covid vaxx now and flu later if you want.
Dunno about flu vaxx timing. It feels like we haven't studied it nearly as hard as we should have so a lot of things are just poorly understood.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 16, 2022