Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Shibawanko posted:

people that dont think in terms of cardinal directions

having to explain to someone like that that you just know that the bus stop is on the other side of the road because thats the one that heads north, to where you need to be, and them not believing you and reading the entire schedule to make sure

I live in a town founded in the 1700s as a marketplace for the surrounding farms, and the main thoroughfares are based on the paths people used to drive their carts along to the marketplace. As the town expanded, it was decided to start building houses and paving streets in a grid system, using the two main thoroughfares as the N-S and E-W axes.

The problem is that these streets are not actually aligned with the cardinal directions, but rotated counter-clockwise a bit. The "N-S" direction of the streets is technically pointing more NW-SE, and "E-W" is technically pointing more NE-SW. I imagine most people working, traveling through, and even living in this town don't realize this.

This is never actually a problem (for me, at least) unless you're dealing with a pedant who insists on referring to the (commonly agreed upon) north side of a building as the "north-west side" which then causes confusion among everyone else. Then you get things like flowers planted only around one corner of a building, because this pedant didn't make sure he and the landscapers were sharing the same understanding of "north-west".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Eventually I reasoned that they quietly changed the name to "Frontera Chipotle Pepper Adobo Seasoning Grilling Glaze & Sauce Starter."

That just sounds like the SEO word salad you'd find in an Amazon product listing.

Which leads to one of my peeves, when my gf is doing some online shopping she'll read the whole listing name to me, including the run-on seo bait.

So it's not just "hey babe check out this dog sweater" it's "I'm looking at this Jecikelon Pet Dog Clothes Knitwear Dog Sweater Soft Thickening Warm Pup Dogs Shirt Winter Puppy Sweater for Dogs (Pink, S), what do you think?"

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Arrath posted:

That just sounds like the SEO word salad you'd find in an Amazon product listing.

Which leads to one of my peeves, when my gf is doing some online shopping she'll read the whole listing name to me, including the run-on seo bait.

So it's not just "hey babe check out this dog sweater" it's "I'm looking at this Jecikelon Pet Dog Clothes Knitwear Dog Sweater Soft Thickening Warm Pup Dogs Shirt Winter Puppy Sweater for Dogs (Pink, S), what do you think?"

this is a great bit and i do this all the time

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Shibawanko posted:

people that dont think in terms of cardinal directions

having to explain to someone like that that you just know that the bus stop is on the other side of the road because thats the one that heads north, to where you need to be, and them not believing you and reading the entire schedule to make sure

Ya know thanks to this whole conversation, today I had a go at paying attention to which cardinal direction I'm going on my way to work. :v:

Verdict: yeah, I can do it, if I pay attention. But I was also travelling on major highways/Interstates and I know which direction they run. Like "This State road runs north/south. If I turn left off it, then I'm travelling east," etc. Is that how it's supposed to work or is that "cheating"?

If I were on windy streets with no semblance of a grid structure, then forget it. I wouldn't be able to tell you cardinal directions if you paid me!

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I don't know if this covers ALL of Canada, but when I first started delivering newspapers, my Dad taught me to look at the house address number and remember "See Now".
As in SEE NOW.
All even number houses are either on the south or east part of the road, and odd numbered ones are on the north or west.
Streets go north-south, avenues run west-east.
He was a firefighter for many decades, back when GPS wasn't a common thing yet, and afaik he never got lost.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Lots of Olympics related pet peeves:

1. Stupid loving questions that reporters are pushed to ask, like "How did it feel?" after an athlete has won a gold medal. Like poo poo, you moron; what the gently caress do you think it felt like?

2. The bias towards American athletes in coverage. Unless it's a country that American media wants to highlight for whatever reason (e.g: Ukraine for obvious reasons these days), the rest of the athletes in an event might as well be NPCs versus the plucky American. I hate that poo poo.

3. Dick measuring over medal counts. The media plays up the Olympics as hallowed contests between international equals, and in a sense that's true but you'd better believe that dumb Americans wank themselves over the fact that "we" have one more loving gold medal than the dreaded evil empire of China (or Russia, or whatever other country has become capital's Public Enemy #1).

Every time the Olympics come around I'm reminded of how tedious the whole ordeal has become.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Sep 13, 2022

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

1. Stupid loving questions that reporters are pushed to ask, like "How did it feel?" after an athlete has won a gold medal. Like poo poo, you moron; what the gently caress do you think it felt like?

There was a show a number of years ago called "Face Off" which featured artists creating cool movie-grade makeup on models. Each episode was based on some sort of theme, like Wonderland or the 7 deadly sins, etc etc.
During one finale, the host kept asking the winner "HOW DOES IT FEEL? HOW DOES IT FEEL?" and it annoyed me.
How the heck do you think they feel? Cool it, yo.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
My current peeve? When stuff just goes missing.

What the ever loving gently caress is happening with my stuff? It's not anywhere remotely sensible, so I will be reduced to literally emptying out an entire room to find one small item.

Will the clean up and inevitable purge feel good? Sure it will. Do I resent having to waste a day cleaning up a space that isn't even truly disorganized? Absolutely.

As the child of hoarders I loathe having so much junk I can't find something when I need it.

This sucks.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Ya know thanks to this whole conversation, today I had a go at paying attention to which cardinal direction I'm going on my way to work. :v:

Verdict: yeah, I can do it, if I pay attention. But I was also travelling on major highways/Interstates and I know which direction they run. Like "This State road runs north/south. If I turn left off it, then I'm travelling east," etc. Is that how it's supposed to work or is that "cheating"?

If I were on windy streets with no semblance of a grid structure, then forget it. I wouldn't be able to tell you cardinal directions if you paid me!

no thats more or less how it works

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah it's this, but ingrained enough that we don't have to think about it anymore. What confuses me I think is how people learned to find their way as a kid without internalising this way of thinking.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

When I'm biking I tend to use the sun/shadows to keep track of my direction.

Sun is behind you? You're going north.
Sun is on your left? You're going west.
And depending on the time of day you adjust for the sun's position.

Simple, primitive, and works well unless it's an overcast day.

Asynchronous Event
Dec 9, 2021

lobsterminator posted:

When I'm biking I tend to use the sun/shadows to keep track of my direction.

Sun is behind you? You're going north.
Sun is on your left? You're going west.
And depending on the time of day you adjust for the sun's position.

Simple, primitive, and works* well unless it's an overcast day.

*Reverse for use in the Southern Hemisphere.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Why does stuff bounce and roll like a loving cartoon when I drop it? Isn't it bad enough to drop an item without it doing a little bounce-hop up onto an edge to roll like a wheel halfway under the couch--even if it's not round? I just want to reach down and grab the thing I dropped but nooo.

And holy poo poo, multiply this by a thousand when I'm playing with my kids. Actual toys will immediately take the most absurd course of bouncing and rolling only to come to a rest against the baseboard behind the heaviest piece of furniture you own.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Brawnfire posted:

Why does stuff bounce and roll like a loving cartoon when I drop it? Isn't it bad enough to drop an item without it doing a little bounce-hop up onto an edge to roll like a wheel halfway under the couch--even if it's not round? I just want to reach down and grab the thing I dropped but nooo.
The other night, during our weekly D&D game, I reached under the couch for a die that had rolled under it and came up with a completely different die.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FFT posted:

The other night, during our weekly D&D game, I reached under the couch for a die that had rolled under it and came up with a completely different die.

You should try transmuting other materials with your couch instead of dice.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Iron Crowned posted:

You should try transmuting other materials with your couch instead of dice.

Hold on, lets not be hasty.

Was the new die cooler than the old one?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Brawnfire posted:

And holy poo poo, multiply this by a thousand when I'm playing with my kids. Actual toys will immediately take the most absurd course of bouncing and rolling only to come to a rest against the baseboard behind the heaviest piece of furniture you own.
Physics are different when things are dropped. Drop a loose sheet of paper and that fucker will just slip under any desk or table leg nearby and get stuck, but try to do that poo poo intentionally and it's literally impossible.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

CordlessPen posted:

Physics are different when things are dropped. Drop a loose sheet of paper and that fucker will just slip under any desk or table leg nearby and get stuck, but try to do that poo poo intentionally and it's literally impossible.

I had that happen in a class once, the paper like levitated in a nonexistent breeze, drifted to the floor, and jammed itself under the foot of a kid's chair deeply enough I had to ask him to stand up to pull it out. Just absurd poo poo.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!
Dropped objects have two modes. One is where an object bounces to the ground, then bounces back perfectly at the perfect height so I can so casually just pluck it out of the air in a suave seamless gesture that impresses those who happen to observe it. And yeah, the other mode where an object decides to launch itself at a weird seemingly impossible angle and lodge itself behind an appliance.

Edit because I still see this poo poo pop up and it just frustrates me:

Super Mario Bros. 3: Opens with showing you this has a theater kind of motif, with curtains and a stage and props. Twenty, thirty years later people still lose their loving minds when they realize this, even though they must see it every single time the game starts.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Opens by introducing Miles "Tails" Prower every single time the game starts. Decades later people are DID-YOU-KNOWing the wordplay that the game opens with.

I'm thinking people in this era just mashed the buttons, eager to get into the game, and didn't notice this stuff? NO TIME FOR READING OR LOOKING

credburn has a new favorite as of 20:28 on Sep 14, 2022

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

credburn posted:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Opens by introducing Miles "Tails" Prower every single time the game starts. Decades later people are DID-YOU-KNOWing the wordplay that the game opens with.

I went decades without understanding this or that "Left 4 Dead" sounds like "Left for Dead" because I don't hear words in my head when I read them like some people apparently do.

Mario 3 thing is just hosed though.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I've never played Sonic 2, so I have an excuse for never having noticed it :smuggo:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

"sneak peak" is only an appropriate phrase if you've suddenly noticed a mountain.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

FFT posted:

"sneak peak" is only an appropriate phrase if you've suddenly noticed a mountain.
:bang:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The peak was sneaking until you were within mountain range

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

credburn posted:

Edit because I still see this poo poo pop up and it just frustrates me:

Super Mario Bros. 3: Opens with showing you this has a theater kind of motif, with curtains and a stage and props. Twenty, thirty years later people still lose their loving minds when they realize this, even though they must see it every single time the game starts.

I'm thinking people in this era just mashed the buttons, eager to get into the game, and didn't notice this stuff? NO TIME FOR READING OR LOOKING

Dude, I was 8 when SMB 3 came out and, 11 when Sonic 2 came out, of course I wanted to just mash buttons

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
loving crane flies man, I hate them. Just bouncing around everywhere, uselessly, making that horrible flickering sound against the corners of the room, flying in my face, ending up crippled or dismembered in random places on the floor, or strung up in cobwebs outside the windows. Just so useless and dense, but just big and unpredictable enough that when I notice one fly into me I flinch and get all grossed out.

Doesn't help that I'm staying in an ancient stone cottage in rural Wales. You should try establishing your sense of direction there, where literally everything is a valley, and the entire road network is dictated by who owned which small field 700 years ago.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I don't understand people who intentionally their car clock five minutes ahead. Doesn't it make more sense to know what time it actually is? It's usually people who are chronically late to stuff. "Oh that way I know if it says 8:00, I still have five more minutes to get there." Yeah, you'd know that if it said 7:55 too without doing any mental gymnastics.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Do you know more than one person who does that?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's a weirdly common piece of advice. I'm sure a lot more people say it than actually do it, but people do do it.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I sure do! Multiple friends/family members.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
I set all my clocks ahead because it's an artificial means of blasting my brain with some good chemicals. Looking at my forward-timed clocks is the only activity I can think of that does not come with some form of disappointment. I look at the clock, I am reassured; there is still time.

Pet peeve: Either there was a massive push from Disney or something, or my Facebook algorithm is suddenly really hosed up. 100% of sponsored Facebook ads are either for Disney's new Little Mermaid thing, or countless lovely social media meme dumps that are about the new Little Mermaid thing. Why :confused:

credburn has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Sep 16, 2022

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

The Perfect Element posted:

loving crane flies man, I hate them. Just bouncing around everywhere, uselessly, making that horrible flickering sound against the corners of the room, flying in my face, ending up crippled or dismembered in random places on the floor, or strung up in cobwebs outside the windows. Just so useless and dense, but just big and unpredictable enough that when I notice one fly into me I flinch and get all grossed out.

Doesn't help that I'm staying in an ancient stone cottage in rural Wales. You should try establishing your sense of direction there, where literally everything is a valley, and the entire road network is dictated by who owned which small field 700 years ago.

i fuckin hate crane flies. they creep me out so bad. upon seeing one i am immediately gripped by the fear that they're going to flail their spindly legs and wings into my face holes. why must they fly so erratically??

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

At a stormwater industry conference this week and you'd think that people with an unmatched grasp of the danger posed by sedimentation to streamflow would intuitively avoid standing in door ways or accumulating immediately adjacent to the bar.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
All my podcast ads are now an annoying man telling me how great WhatsApp is.

A service that I already use all day, every day.

Is this the algorithms loving up, or what?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tiggum posted:

It's a weirdly common piece of advice. I'm sure a lot more people say it than actually do it, but people do do it.

I've heard it brought up a bunch of times as a lifehack to make sure you're always on time, but you mentally adjust to it so quickly that it doesn't really work.

If you're chronically late, no little lifehack is going to change that.

Most things set time automatically now anyway, but I think the Apple Watch lets you set an offset, probably because of this silly idea.

My only timepiece that runs off from true time is my mechanical watch, it runs 5 seconds per day fast, but I just set it back a minute when it eventually gets a full minute ahead. Nobody needs atomic clock precision on their wrist anyway.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Riatsala posted:

At a stormwater industry conference this week and you'd think that people with an unmatched grasp of the danger posed by sedimentation to streamflow would intuitively avoid standing in door ways or accumulating immediately adjacent to the bar.

This reminds me of the peeve of having seen far too many "traffic/crowd flow physics" videos and seeing it all going to poo poo in a public area. Just knowing everything could be working efficiently and how, but instead you're trapped in the middle of chaos.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, it's insane how some peoples' brains just loving turn off the second they meet someone they know/want to talk to.
I had to go to a large expo thing for work a couple weeks ago, large stands with tiny corridors in between them for people to walk.
And what do people do? Just stand in the middle of the walkways chatting. Groups of people just chatting as literally hundreds of people had to walk around them.

The weather was gorgeous! Either get onto one of the stands and talk (Most stands were big things with seating and sometimes food for people to socialize.), or walk for half a minute to go outside and chat in the sun/warm weather instead!

Also peeve: having to be around people at all. (Also having to be at a stand for a week straight in a suit.) Though I did get a couple paid days off as a reward for my service, atleast.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Modern movies, and some TV shows, have this weird compulsion with overexplaining poo poo. A great example is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, where they inserted a really dumb and pointless backstory for Wonka about his dad being a dentist or some bullshit. A lot of NuTrek (not so much SNW, from what I can tell) has also tended to do this by handwaving everything vaguely mysterious in Trek history as "Section 31 did it".

I'm not sure why they feel the need to do this but it's really obnoxious.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I'd say that generally Western media, and probably more specifically American media, hasn't ever really trusted its audience to accept any world-building conceits without in-depth explanation as to why-it-is-so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation

Elissimpark posted:

I'd say that generally Western media, and probably more specifically American media, hasn't ever really trusted its audience to accept any world-building conceits without in-depth explanation as to why-it-is-so.

Stephen King is an author I've read many books of, and even though I clearly am a fan of his work, there's a constant struggle I have with the way he presents his world building -- he never explains the why of any of it. He'll begin a book with a character revealing that he discovered a time tunnel to a very specific time in his pantry, but he'll never explain why there is a time tunnel there, or really even question it at all. Why is this Buick a door to another world? Why does this kid have weird powers? Why did there need to be a child sewer orgy?