Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lol, white people love to talk about how the Indians and Pakistanis are going to nuke one another.

they've moved on from that and it's China and India fighting over fresh water rights to the melting glaciers as climate change picks up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lobster shirt posted:

balkaninsight is, i think, alright if read critically and taken with a massive grain of salt. it's basically funded by, like, usaid, osce, open society foundation, and the eu. check out their donors! https://birn.eu.com/about-birn/donors/.

sounds like this guy’s type of thing:
https://twitter.com/gunterfehlinger/status/1562136315931533312

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

mawarannahr posted:

e: I also linked Radio Free Europe lol but that bit sounded and was true. i like to keep an ear out on the Radios Free.

RFE sometimes posts vaguely correct things simply because it doesn't really give much of a poo poo about us (bigger fish to fry), keeping things concise and correct-ish, and is very direct in where its allegiance lies so not a lot of room for subtle fuckery.

It's balkaninsight's mission description to poo poo things up in here while sadly contemplating Europe's oh so heavy burden.

my dad has issued a correction as of 18:08 on Sep 13, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

my dad posted:

RFE sometimes posts vaguely correct things simply because it doesn't really give much of a poo poo about us (bigger fish to fry) and is very direct in where its allegiance lies.

It's balkaninsight's mission description to poo poo things up in here while sadly contempleting Europe's oh so heavy burden.

that sucks sounds like a lovely website. the stuff about Turkey seems accurately reported. the author is a liberal Turkish academic who has an international relations PhD and a business degree (hideous combo).

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

mawarannahr posted:

that sucks sounds like a lovely website. the stuff about Turkey seems accurately reported. the author is a liberal Turkish academic who has an international relations PhD and a business degree (hideous combo).

I will trust you on that one. You certainly understand Turkish politics better than I do.

My words come from a place of seeing waaaaay too many things horrifically mangled on that website, and I feel the need to pre-emptively warn people against it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

my dad posted:

I'm stuck posting either here or in the thread for EU countries, and we're in neither. EUrope sees us as being uneuropean, and since we're generally tied to Russia in western public perception, we get to be 'asian degenerates' every once in a while, too. Or part of the middle east. It's Serbia's old curse.

post in the ukraine thread serbias a part of greater ukraine everyone knows that

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

No it was always the babybrained geopolitcs understanders who went: Uh, both india and pakistan had nukes and occasionally shoot at each other, any day now asiatic savages will start their blood religion war with nukes.

If only the two governments and armed forces hadn't created deescalation protocols.

I'm guessing something like the Red Phone ?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

wonder what they're putting in all the museums if traditional culture has been obliterated lol

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1569170183574278144?s=20&t=v5_sIGM2uspeiUxcKZrGFQ

That guy's whole feed is pretty nuts tbh. His basic thesis is that traditional Chinese civilization outside of Taiwan has been entirely abolished and on top of it is some sort of Potemkin village.

I've seen this opinion before. It's likely more common than you think, if only because very few people seem know anything at all about the Cultural Revolution. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some crazy Bircher educational kits that teach it either

Alpha 1
Feb 17, 2012
America still believes in sanctions after the debacle with Russia, and is currently salivating over the thought of imposing them on China:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1569803216602255360

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Stringent posted:

when did the english monarchy become a symbol of democracy, did i miss a meeting or something?

I think it's because she's a symbol of England, who had proposed granting HK universal suffrage until Mao and the CCP repeatedly threatened to invade the city if that ever happened.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

je1 healthcare posted:

I think it's because she's a symbol of England, who had proposed granting HK universal suffrage until Mao and the CCP repeatedly threatened to invade the city if that ever happened.

huh, i thought the sticking point was making hk an independent city state, a la singapore. you got a source about how mao and the ccp's objection was introducing democracy?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

for the longest time we were told that Kashmir was going to be one of the big flashpoints of the world

and then India largely managed to settle the issue by force and nothing happened

No, Modi pushed for 370 was one of the main cause of Sino India conflict of 2020.

Maybe you don't consider less than 100 casualties was a war but it was not nothing. Also more death from the India-pakistan border.

Think about how China gets 2 gas pipelines from Russia but India can not build a pipeline from the northern side due to the security concern. India not getting cheap energy for its own economic development is what India pay for not having good relationship with her 2 major neighbors.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 04:40 on Sep 14, 2022

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Eh, shoving matches were a thing before modi pushed through the revocation of art. 370. And death at the indo pakistan border is a constant, which is why de-escalation protocols exist in the first place.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Alpha 1 posted:

America still believes in sanctions after the debacle with Russia, and is currently salivating over the thought of imposing them on China:

Sanctions did a great job deterring Russia

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Well China is about 5x as strong as Russia and the US's economic leverage is weaker so I'm sure this will go well

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Tankbuster posted:

Eh, shoving matches were a thing before modi pushed through the revocation of art. 370. And death at the indo pakistan border is a constant, which is why de-escalation protocols exist in the first place.

Shooting at each other is basically a pastime at some borders.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Neurolimal posted:

Sanctions did a great job deterring Russia

dismantling the effects of bretton woods, i'm here like :munch:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Sanction didn't work on NK and Iran either.

The only countries that sanction worked was probably South Africa back in the day and Serbia because it's too small and too physically inside EU.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the propaganda gears are getting tuned at the hudson institute, but pompeo here sounds a lot like mark zuckerberg saying "good job team"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giYEuQ5vYM4

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

stephenthinkpad posted:

Sanction didn't work on NK and Iran either.

The only countries that sanction worked was probably South Africa back in the day and Serbia because it's too small and too physically inside EU.

Sanctions have absolutely worked on both countries, what are you talking about? Iran had a lot of issues dealing with covid because they simply could not get medical equipment and even Russia and China still adhere to the western sanctions put on NK.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Sanctions have absolutely worked on both countries, what are you talking about? Iran had a lot of issues dealing with covid because they simply could not get medical equipment and even Russia and China still adhere to the western sanctions put on NK.

I forgot what thread I was in and read this as if it wasn't tongue in cheek at first lol

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

There was a Luna Oi video about how threats of sanctions also worked to liberalize Vietnam and force them to repay the debts of the government they overthrew.

Sanctions are powerful tools for strangling the growth of a county and causing mass suffering, but they're generally pretty bad at their stated goal, forcing regime change

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Sanctions do not work if their goal is to cause regime/government change. Sanctions have worked great up until the recent Russian ones if their goal is to economically cripple enemies of Western hegemony.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Alpha 1 posted:

lol if this happens Australia's going to do what Europeans did and suicide our own economy while SE Asia laughs at us

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

They "worked" in that they wreaked havoc on the population, but the goal is that this leads to a revolution and a US-friendly liberal government which hasn't happened in either country.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
And what's more if regime change doesn't happen, eventually they end up building everything they need and linking up with other sanctioned countries. I'm guessing that's why China is building up Africa, so they can basically be ready once the US comes for them and have enough of what they need to separate as the West burns itself to the ground.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
it's ok starving africans with no infrastructure can make things cheaper than china, that's how democracy works

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
If they're too cheap to pay Chinese rates I somehow doubt they'll shell out for whole new factories in Zimbabwe that will have to compete with said preexisting production.

Like the difference in cost per unit will be marginal and the graft on both sides because everyone knows it's gonna be a trash fire will make it take centuries to pay off.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

thechosenone posted:

And what's more if regime change doesn't happen, eventually they end up building everything they need and linking up with other sanctioned countries. I'm guessing that's why China is building up Africa, so they can basically be ready once the US comes for them and have enough of what they need to separate as the West burns itself to the ground.

China is building up Africa because it make more sense and more profitable long term for China to spend the USD trade surplus on 3rd world development (even with a presumed high rate of failure) than spend the USD on US debt, US real estate market and US stock market.

From what I remember, a lot of African rich people don't like to keep their money in the local currency because of high inflation. So they end up sending their wealth to the west and invest in the first world's speculation market instead of investing in their own countries'economic growth.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 14:19 on Sep 14, 2022

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Some Guy TT posted:

post in the ukraine thread serbias a part of greater ukraine everyone knows that

Ukraine is part of Greater Serbia you dog!!!

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Alpha 1 posted:

These sanctions can only have the opposite effect. It will mean that China will have less to lose in terms of trade with the US in the event of a war. So a war over Taiwan becomes less expensive.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Which is why shutting down Nordstream 2 before the invasion of Ukraine was horrible.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Which is why shutting down Nordstream 2 before the invasion of Ukraine was horrible.

they didn’t cancel it til troops were sent in iirc

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Back in 2014 I couldn't help but norice the similarities between now and the lead up to Works War One with a global political order built by very talented evil people and was than inherited by their failkida who ran it into the ground

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

KomradeX posted:

Back in 2014 I couldn't help but norice the similarities between now and the lead up to Works War One with a global political order built by very talented evil people and was than inherited by their failkida who ran it into the ground

who was the talented person, charlemagne?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Missed this new from yesterday, which is pretty big

https://twitter.com/DimitriASimes/status/1570035668075614208?s=20&t=5dnRaG3oOt68ZjXzyhYL2g

Also, the new Taiwan Policy Act

https://twitter.com/beatris_boatman/status/1568029773896757250?s=20&t=5dnRaG3oOt68ZjXzyhYL2g

If it's passed in the current form, it will no doubt trigger the fifth Strait Crisis. It's bigger than Pelosi visit.

This is the real reason US didn't send a carrier in responds to PLA Taiwan exercise, because they are responding in congress.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

cool

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

youre going to get some fun replies over this one

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i say swears online posted:

who was the talented person, charlemagne?

Bismarck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

cool cool cool