Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Duckman2008 posted:

Hey, is OS16 out for iPad ? I got the security update for 15, but no 16 update. Phone and watch got the new updates fine.

Nope, iPadOS 16.1 sometime in October

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

they couldn't deliver the M1 windowed app functionality and now nobody gets anything until they fix it

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

i guess it goes to show how split iPadOS and iOS are at this point

if it were me I would have just shipped 16 without Stage Manager off of iOS's branch and launch Stage Manager in October but nooooo

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I mean, if they’re going with “new watchOS and new iOS when new watches and iPhones release in September” and “new iPadOS when new iPads release in October” then actually that’s pretty logical.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

fourwood posted:

I mean, if they’re going with “new watchOS and new iOS when new watches and iPhones release in September” and “new iPadOS when new iPads release in October” then actually that’s pretty logical.
Except for when there’s software features that lose parity between the two devices until the update. Like, can iPads do the new iMessage stuff or is all that waiting for another month?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

iPadOS is the worst thing apple has going on right now. An absolute mismanaged mess top to bottom because they do not want their iPads to eat into their Macs.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I have a 2020 12.9” iPad Pro that doesn’t respond at all to touch even after force resetting it and letting the battery run all the way down to force a power cycle. I didn’t realize until this happened that my AppleCare+ expired in March.

It looks like Apple will replace the screen for $700, or I can get an ifixit kit for $400 with no guarantee of success. I guess there’s also no guarantee that a new screen will fix the issue.

Is it worth multiple trips to an apple store (I assume they’ll need to keep it for a few days) to have it done by someone who’s not replacing a screen for the first time? I assume there’s no chance of leniency regarding AppleCare coverage?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

iPadOS is the worst thing apple has going on right now. An absolute mismanaged mess top to bottom because they do not want their iPads to eat into their Macs.

I am running a 2018 12.9” Pro and have not updated because it is clear as day that they could make iPads so much much more if they wanted, but they just refuse.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Erwin posted:

I have a 2020 12.9” iPad Pro that doesn’t respond at all to touch even after force resetting it and letting the battery run all the way down to force a power cycle. I didn’t realize until this happened that my AppleCare+ expired in March.

It looks like Apple will replace the screen for $700, or I can get an ifixit kit for $400 with no guarantee of success. I guess there’s also no guarantee that a new screen will fix the issue.

Is it worth multiple trips to an apple store (I assume they’ll need to keep it for a few days) to have it done by someone who’s not replacing a screen for the first time? I assume there’s no chance of leniency regarding AppleCare coverage?

They don't actually repair them, $700 gets you a swap so they should be able to take care of you same day.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

FCKGW posted:

They don't actually repair them, $700 gets you a swap so they should be able to take care of you same day.

Ah nice, that seems worth it then.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What's the quick pros / cons of 256GB iPad Air vs 128GB Pro? They're only $50 apart, and 128GB of storage would be plenty but 64GB isn't quite enough. I want to pick something up while the back to school gift card deal is still going.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the quick pros / cons of 256GB iPad Air vs 128GB Pro? They're only $50 apart, and 128GB of storage would be plenty but 64GB isn't quite enough. I want to pick something up while the back to school gift card deal is still going.

- 4 speakers vs 2
- thunderbolt vs usb-c
- about another 100 nits of brightness
- Face ID
- another .1" of screen
- 120hz vs 60
- more fancy AR stuff

For me the added speakers, Face ID, and the 120hz are worth the fifty bucks extra.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Mister Facetious posted:

- 4 speakers vs 2
- thunderbolt vs usb-c
- about another 100 nits of brightness
- Face ID
- another .1" of screen
- 120hz vs 60
- more fancy AR stuff

For me the added speakers, Face ID, and the 120hz are worth the fifty bucks extra.

Counter-point, the Air comes in good colors!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fourwood posted:

:hmmyes:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

fourwood posted:

No it doesn't; green was LAST year.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I am due to upgrade from my base level 6th gen in the coming months, and the value proposition isn’t quite so obvious when I use mine mostly as a streaming consumption device so 64gb on the Air is more than enough. I still have like 12gb free on my 32gb iPad.

Like, is 120hz and Face ID worth a $250 upcharge over the Air, after speccing out the lowest options on each model and include Applecare+ which costs more on the Pro? Ugh, it’s close, but probably not.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

I am due to upgrade from my base level 6th gen in the coming months, and the value proposition isn’t quite so obvious when I use mine mostly as a streaming consumption device so 64gb on the Air is more than enough. I still have like 12gb free on my 32gb iPad.

Like, is 120hz and Face ID worth a $250 upcharge over the Air, after speccing out the lowest options on each model and include Applecare+ which costs more on the Pro? Ugh, it’s close, but probably not.

No, it isn't

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
the real answer is to wait a month or so and then decide based on the new stuff (or save more money)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Erwin posted:

I am new to the Apple ecosystem but is a $1000+ device bricking after 2 years common? That seems insane to me. I bought a new iPad Air from a friend but what happened to your Pro scares me a bit!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Bottom Liner posted:

the real answer is to wait a month or so and then decide based on the new stuff (or save more money)

I was waiting on November to get the $100 off on the standard Black Friday deal, but I guess I didn’t realize there was another refresh coming this year.

Maybe Apple will have some good current model refurbs available once people upgrade to 2022 models. My current one is four years old, and I am using it more often now that I work from home and it’s starting to feel its age, but it can last a good while longer yet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

I am new to the Apple ecosystem but is a $1000+ device bricking after 2 years common? That seems insane to me. I bought a new iPad Air from a friend but what happened to your Pro scares me a bit!

It’s not really common at all tbh

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A Strange Aeon posted:

No, outside of physical damage, ipads are really robust both from a hardware and software standpoint

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

If you don't need at least ~100gb of storage but less than ~230, no. A Pro is going to be my next upgrade though from the 9th gen.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’m still finding OG Airs hidden at the bottom of drawers in various offices that still power on after a charge and seem to work. Bricking after 2 years definitely isn’t at all normal.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Just anecdata, but I’ve got first gen iPad Pro that still works great. Battery is a little worn down after 7 years, of course, but definitely not a brick.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Nope, I’ve been through three iPads, a half-dozen iPhones, and several laptops and this is the first problem I’ve had that I didn’t physically cause. I can’t find any concrete info online about it happening to others (maybe one or two cases that might be the same issue), and certainly no fixes.

Just because a thing happened to one device once doesn’t make it common. If I was seeing lots of other people online with the same issue I’d be mad, but that’s not the case. I’m bummed I have to pay to have it fixed but it really just seems like a fluke.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No, outside of physical damage, ipads are really robust both from a hardware and software standpoint

You have you try realllly loving hard to truly brick one. If a device is truly bricked it’s almost certainly a hardware issue. I’ve had people call me literally crying because they ‘bricked’ their iPad. The fix isn’t always the same, but a DFU restore will almost always do the trick provided there’s no hardware issue.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Erwin posted:

Nope, I’ve been through three iPads, a half-dozen iPhones, and several laptops and this is the first problem I’ve had that I didn’t physically cause. I can’t find any concrete info online about it happening to others (maybe one or two cases that might be the same issue), and certainly no fixes.

Just because a thing happened to one device once doesn’t make it common. If I was seeing lots of other people online with the same issue I’d be mad, but that’s not the case. I’m bummed I have to pay to have it fixed but it really just seems like a fluke.

That's good to hear! I've been really enjoying reading PDFs on my iPad but the way your post was so resigned about needing to spend 700 to fix it made me think that's just this thing that happens!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I'm going to go buy a new ipad in a few hours, the local tech shop is doing some offers on a base wifi ipad air 5th gen or ipad 9th. Is it that big of a jump to justify pretty much 2x the price?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
These days “bricked” just means you need to reboot or reset or something.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

That's good to hear! I've been really enjoying reading PDFs on my iPad but the way your post was so resigned about needing to spend 700 to fix it made me think that's just this thing that happens!

I'm resigned to paying $700 because I'm a dummy who didn't renew coverage on a device that is critical to me.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Got a 9th gen iPad, i'll wait for usb-c across iPhone, iPad and AirPods to make the big jump.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

I'm going to go buy a new ipad in a few hours, the local tech shop is doing some offers on a base wifi ipad air 5th gen or ipad 9th. Is it that big of a jump to justify pretty much 2x the price?

imo yes, but I'd say at least wait to see what the 10th gen iPad is getting this or next month.

8gb ram vs 3
100 nits more brightness
2 speakers vs 1
Usb-c vs lightning
More modern look
Fingerprint sensor on the power button
More colors for the chassis
Wider color gamut screen
Laminated screen
Apple pencil 2 support
Better SoC/graphics (potentially, as it depends on the dev, obv)
Tap to wake (seriously, it gets old needing to hit a button to wake the fucker)
More future proofed for OS updates
External monitor support with ios 16

Currently happy with my iPad 9, but I'm definitely thinking of upgrading.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 14, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

withak posted:

These days “bricked” just means you need to reboot or reset or something.

Uh no, bricked means the device is fully dead. That is common across all consumer electronics.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That's what it originally mean but nowdays kids say that something is bricked then they reboot it or reset it and they are fine.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

withak posted:

That's what it originally mean but nowdays kids say that something is bricked then they reboot it or reset it and they are fine.

Kids are loving dumb though and will say anything with zero awareness of the historic context.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You mean language changes as time passes and old people get mad about it for no reason at all.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Language changes when it is adopted at large, and that is not what has happened here. If urbandictionary and Wikipedia share a definition, it’s safe to say the term’s meaning has not changed.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Dictionaries are a historical record, not a rule book.