Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Never been so excited

https://twitter.com/zackblatt/status/1569798016906760201?s=46&t=3DD1G_cKtmpv_3BSw5KiMw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

I mean great but I can’t imagine much quality still out there to be had.

https://twitter.com/DougKyed/status/1569778489267523589

I mean I'm just an idiot on a dead comedy forum but why do I have a better idea how to build an NFL OL than a GM who gets paid 6 million dollars a year?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

quote:

Patriots placed RB Ty Montgomery on injured reserve [4 week version].

Blessing in disguise.

Nov 6, 2002

quote:

1. The Patriots’ much-discussed new offense unveiled a vanilla look in Miami. Amid questions about how they’d line up, the personnel they’d use and the scheme changes we might see, Matt Patricia and Joe Judge’s unit was — well — boring.

They used only two personnel groupings in the entire game, running 28 plays out of 11 personnel (one running back, one tight end) and 26 plays out of 12 personnel. They never had four wide receivers on the field at the same time. They did not run a single run-pass option. They used play action on just 8 percent of their early-down dropbacks, the lowest rate in the league. (Last week, we outlined how RPOs and play action have historically helped bring out the best in Mac Jones.)

The only other team in Week 1 that used just two personnel groupings was the Carolina Panthers. As a general rule of thumb, it’s not good when your offense is compared to the Carolina Panthers.

It’s one thing to keep the calls simple as an offense. It’s another to run such a dull, show-nothing setup that it resembles a preseason game. For a unit that wants to take advantage of mismatches (and find ways to create them), this wasn’t an encouraging sign.

But Sunday’s opener was a putrid outing for the running game. The Patriots rushed for zero or negative yards on 36 percent of their carries, the most in the league. By comparison, the league average for that figure Sunday was 18 percent.

6. One of the Patriots’ best players of 2021 sat on the bench until the fourth quarter. When receiver Kendrick Bourne finally got onto the field, he promptly hauled in a 41-yard reception, the team’s longest of the day. Then Bourne was summoned back to the bench.

The whole situation is … odd. How did Bourne go from being the team’s second-leading receiver last season to being behind a practice squad player on the depth chart? Lil’Jordan Humphrey, elevated from the practice squad, received more snaps (3) than Bourne (2).

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I really hate when players/coaches attack the media or fans for being too mean. It's like, loving grow up and accept it that maybe you loving suck. Every year for the last 10+ years I've been told to be patient, that Rome wasn't built in a day, and finally last year the drat burst and I couldn't take it any more. Win some loving game you loving worthless assholes. I wasted too many hours and too many Sundays giving a poo poo about the Jets when they clearly don't give a poo poo about their fans or the product they put on the field. They deserve nothing but contempt until they prove that they're worth a drat. And for the players and coaches that feel like they have a right to push back, guess what, you've been here for a minute and will be gone in a week and I'll still be stuck with this piece of poo poo team, so don't act like you have any skin in the game.

Thank god this forum exists so I can get my frustration out and not waste time on Sunday.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Michael_Nania/status/1569827902287450114

lol

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

SpitztheGreat posted:

I really hate when players/coaches attack the media or fans for being too mean. It's like, loving grow up and accept it that maybe you loving suck. Every year for the last 10+ years I've been told to be patient, that Rome wasn't built in a day, and finally last year the drat burst and I couldn't take it any more. Win some loving game you loving worthless assholes. I wasted too many hours and too many Sundays giving a poo poo about the Jets when they clearly don't give a poo poo about their fans or the product they put on the field. They deserve nothing but contempt until they prove that they're worth a drat. And for the players and coaches that feel like they have a right to push back, guess what, you've been here for a minute and will be gone in a week and I'll still be stuck with this piece of poo poo team, so don't act like you have any skin in the game.

Thank god this forum exists so I can get my frustration out and not waste time on Sunday.

I agree—both Tom Donahoe and Doug Marrone were both extremely thin skinned when it came to local Buffalo media calling them out and imho it only made them more hateable. gently caress those guys.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

We get a 3 time probowl punter that we don't even need.
You get Ty Long
The haves and the have nots.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

I think the big, central unifying problem here is that someone convinced Belichick they could run a bunch of Shanahan stuff, and all those other things are a symptom. NE has done a good job running outside zone in the past with some unlikely lines, but it was always a curveball. At one point they were a really shockingly good outside zone team in short yardage, which is no small marvel.

The outside zone was a disaster, like some of your guys flat out can't loving do it. Trent Brown got shipped out of SF after a year in which they stage-managed the hell out of him, and Michael Onwenu just can't flat loving do it:

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/1569508415893798913?s=20&t=lpSXiTQW8CXxJlEc4_LHkA

That's where a lot of the run stuffs came from. It's possible it killed their PA gameplan- if you can't run block it you can't block PA either. The Shanahan stuff doesn't play well with RPOs because one's largely under center and the other can't be. SF put a lot of work in to run their bread and butter stuff out of shotgun, but that all largely depends on a fullback.

That amount of 12 is in itself novel, the only one in recent memory who really ran that much two TE stuff was Philly with Ertz/Goedert(Miami did, but doesn't count Gesicki is a WR). That's going to replace a lot of your "other" formations, but then again you're doing it to showcase Jonnu Smith(who kind of depends on the outside zone stuff to work himself).

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
It's hard not to enjoy this team that has tormented us for decades is now reduced to spending 5 days out in the middle of Florida practicing at some tramp field before being handed their rear end by the Dolphins.

They ran out of only two personnel groupings like a basic bitch offense and they got beat!

You love to see it.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Kendrick Bourne and Trent Brown are gruntling, too. Just dire juju all around in New England.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Kyle Brandt asked Josh about all the no-punt games yesterday (although the usual aversion to combining regular season and post season means he asked about about three of the last regular season four games rather than four of last six games) and was 180° to all the hype "don't like it. It's happens because of turnover and a punt is better than a int/fumble".

(Unless it's a Haack punt ...)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The Pats decided to abandon the offensive system they've used in some form since the loving 1970s so they can make their 2nd year QB start over from scratch, and they didn't even hire an OC with a track record with the system, they just gave the job to two dipshits who got yeeted out of their old jobs for being abject jackoff moron failures.

You gotta LOL

Nov 6, 2002

I don't think the Pats have actually abandoned the Erhardt-Perkins system, have they?

I know one thing, I think it's going to be waaay harder for them to recruit free agent this offseason. Now they have to find players who are not only willing to put up with the Patriot Way baloney, but also are not put off by the reputation Patricia has earned. His presence in the building was enough to prevent the Patriots from having any remote chance at Stafford over a year ago.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I don't think the Pats have actually abandoned the Erhardt-Perkins system, have they?

I know one thing, I think it's going to be waaay harder for them to recruit free agent this offseason. Now they have to find players who are not only willing to put up with the Patriot Way baloney, but also are not put off by the reputation Patricia has earned. His presence in the building was enough to prevent the Patriots from having any remote chance at Stafford over a year ago.

Everyone keeps talking about the new system, and on half the snaps the offense looks confused so :shrug:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Patriots Way was entirely about getting players to take less money to play with Brady.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/BuffaloBillsPR/status/1570034695077007360

Hopefully Allen doesn't go full Rodgers over ditching his friend....

Also hopefully this isn't related to the Oliver injury and is just replacing someone who isn't ever going to be anything at a position the team are loaded at.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

fsif posted:

Week Two and the owner is already (correctly) undermining the offensive coordinator.

https://twitter.com/GreshKeefe/status/1569735376482275329?s=20&t=udEf9d21fMfNjlMlF0YrFQ

Where do I take my victory lap

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

They have changed offensive schemes. They spent the offseason talking about needing to streamline the offense because the system they've been using is outdated and overcomplicated, leading to problems with players acclimating to the scheme, as seen by nearly every receiver they've tried to bring into it over the past decade. They also changed offensive blocking schemes, because Dante isn't walking through those doors. Doing this and taking time to adjust is fine and normal. Doing this without a competent offensive coaching staff on the other hand...

They also signed no free agents this offseason because they had no money to sign free agents with. They spent it all last year.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Any word on Terron Armstead’s availability?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

TheBizzness posted:

Any word on Terron Armstead’s availability?

I haven't seen any updates on him, Jackson, or Little.

The only news on Jackson was that it was an ankle injury. Little went back in the game so I guess he's ok but he sucks so who cares.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Been reflecting on this a bit and I really get where Saleh is coming from, snarky "instant coffee" soundbites and all. His team is without their starting quarterback and two tackles and they drew a tough Week One opponent and got the result pretty much everyone expected. He's dealing with over a decade (or more) of angst and he's really one had one teardown season and a game. I guess he could have done without gassing up Joe Flacco to the extent he has.

I'm not blaming Jets fans for their reactions; just feels like an impossible situation for a coach to be in.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Teams ALL OVER THE LEAGUE were facing talent deficits and injuries including the Ravens who were without their 1 and 2 RBs and LTs and the Jets literally looked like the worst team in the NFL and this fanbase is just fed up with it. You had bad teams all over the league in games and the Jets were completely non competitive on offense and special teams and it's just not good enough. Too many mistakes. Too much shooting yourself in the foot.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

sean10mm posted:

Everyone keeps talking about the new system, and on half the snaps the offense looks confused so :shrug:

Bill is trying to slowly morph them into a lacrosse team. Nobody will ever expect it!

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Were they actually non-competitive on offense? Serious question and I'm not trying to be glass half full. They shat the bed in some key moments, but I don't know if that means they were totally hopeless on that side of the ball. Without some of those mistakes they maybe lose 24-17 or something like that, and I think fans have a totally different reaction to the game in that scenario.

And that's not to say we shouldn't be pissed about the game. There was a ton to be frustrated about, Joe Flacco throwing the ball 60 times and the obsession with 13 personnel in the first half (at Garrett Wilson's expense) top among them. But I don't think they got boatraced by the Ravens like some seem to be saying.

And yes, mcmagic, I know moral victories aren't enough, they need to win games, etc.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 14, 2022

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

OPTIMISM

They were 22nd in offensive DVOA this week, which at the least is an improvement over last year despite a backup QB and being down 2 starting tackles. The defense giving up 3 TDs was stupid and weird considering they held the Ravens to their lowest rushing output in the Lamar era and their two starting CBs gave up a total of 8 yards.

The Ravens are a good team and I expected the loss so I'm not too upset about it. If they can grab one of the next two games and head into Pittsburgh at 1-2 and getting Zach back, I think you have to be pretty happy about that.

e: If they lose this weekend, which since they're 6 point road underdogs, kinda seems likely, then maybe the handwringing starts getting justified.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

Were they actually non-competitive on offense? Serious question and I'm not trying to be glass half full. They shat the bed in some key moments, but I don't know if that means they were totally hopeless on that side of the ball. Without some of those mistakes they maybe lose 24-17 or something like that, and I think fans have a totally different reaction to the game in that scenario.

And that's not to say we shouldn't be pissed about the game. There was a ton to be frustrated about, Joe Flacco throwing the ball 60 times and the obsession with 13 personnel in the first half (at Garrett Wilson's expense) top among them. But I don't think they got boatraced by the Ravens like some seem to be saying.

And yes, mcmagic, I know moral victories aren't enough, they need to win games, etc.

They had 3 points until after the game was over and in garbage time.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Right, I haven't watched the game yet, but I have a hard time believing they looked as hapless as the Cowboys did. There's nothing about the box score or final score that really surprises me one way or the other.

I don't really know what the expectations for this team are while Flacco is under center. Their fault for not coming up with a better contingency plan, but yeah, the Jets are in a weird holding pattern right now.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

They had 3 points until after the game was over and in garbage time.

So you ignored what my post actually said, got it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

So you ignored my post, got it.

From my perspective, any team that loses and plays like poo poo can point to a few plays and say "oh man if those went differently or if we didn't gently caress up in X number of ways we would've been in the game!" The results are what they are.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Good. Philly Will needs to get more burn than Lamarcus Joyner.
https://twitter.com/nyjets/status/1570069478540546055

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

I didn't get to see much of the Jets week 1, but that garbage time TD was one of the most depressing in recent memory. It didn't even make it into the NFL's official game highlights on YouTube

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

From my perspective, any team that loses and plays like poo poo can point to a few plays and say "oh man if those went differently or if we didn't gently caress up in X number of ways we would've been in the game!" The results are what they are.

100%, I'm not disagreeing with that. Losing is losing regardless of how it happens. The Jets aren't a good enough team to make a bunch of mistakes against a team like the Ravens and win. The coaches and the team should be held accountable for that.

But I don't think the alarm bells need to be ringing, either. I think playing mostly competitive football (except for on STs; I agree they were poo poo there) and losing because of 5-6 key plays is a better outcome, especially for a young team that should should improve over the course of the year, than getting pummeled from the first snap. I'm not throwing them a parade or anything, it was a lovely deflating loss, but small victories are still victories at the end of the day.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Good. Philly Will needs to get more burn than Lamarcus Joyner.
https://twitter.com/nyjets/status/1570069478540546055

Nice.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

100%, I'm not disagreeing with that. Losing is losing regardless of how it happens. The Jets aren't a good enough team to make a bunch of mistakes against a team like the Ravens and win. The coaches and the team should be held accountable for that.

But I don't think the alarm bells need to be ringing, either. I think playing mostly competitive football (except for on STs; I agree they were poo poo there) and losing because of 5-6 key plays is a better outcome, especially for a young team that should should improve over the course of the year, than getting pummeled from the first snap. I'm not throwing them a parade or anything, it was a lovely deflating loss, but small victories are still victories at the end of the day.

Nice.

I just don't agree that in the 2022 NFL if you're scoring 3 points when the game is in question you are playing anything close to competitive football. The rules massively favor the offense, you added a bunch of supposed offensive playmakers and you still don't look like a NFL caliber offense. Teams all over the league are scoring points with bad QBs and mediocre skill players other than the Jets. And this isn't the Ed Reed and Ray Lewis Ravens, they were the 32nd ranked passing D in the NFL last year!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/Connor_J_Hughes/status/1570075940927021057

Here come the injuries.

https://twitter.com/snyjets/status/1570077278335537158
I feel like my brain is turning into mush................. NO QBs IN THE loving NFL HAVE CLEAN POCKETS. NONE OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF ALL YOU NEEDED WAS A GUY WHO COULD WIN FROM A CLEAN POCKET YOU COULD GO SIGN DAN MARINO AND HAVE HIM PLAY QB!!!!!!!!!!!

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 14, 2022

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Mcmagic I am honestly concerned that you aren't going to survive this season.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Professor Funk posted:

Mcmagic I am honestly concerned that you aren't going to survive this season.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Combine the jets backup qb being bad with the Yankees making the playoffs at a slightly lower seed than expected and baby you got a stew going

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m torn between being positive because the Jets out gained the Ravens by 100 yards with Joe Flacco but I also know I’d be pissed as hell at the coaches if we out gained our opponent by that much and still lost be 3 scores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I hope the jets never find their McDaniel.

Jk but they’d be terrifying with that personnel, GM (dude has stocked that roster outside of QB. I feel your pain…) and a coach like Sean P.