Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

edit: hey new page! PSVR2 impressions

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/09/14/hands-on-with-four-playstation-vr2-titles/?sf260302441=1
https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/14/..._source=twitter
https://www.polygon.com/23350507/pl..._source=twitter

https://www.eurogamer.net/playstation-vr2-is-about-to-breathe-new-life-into-virtual-reality-gaming
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/psvr-2-and-horizon-call-of-the-mountain-are-a-strong-reminder-of-vrs-magic/1100-6507473/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxUXWpj11fw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufvV1haQCfk

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

Very little mention of how the foveated way tracking stuff works in those reviews (unless I missed it), but maybe that just means it works really well??

Horizon does look pretty awesome, and it looks like it's going to be a huge graphical upgrade for folks that don't have a PC... Assuming it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ragaduffin posted:

Very little mention of how the foveated way tracking stuff works in those reviews (unless I missed it), but maybe that just means it works really well??

It's what I'm curious about too, is it really dynamic foveated rendering driven by eye tracking? But then again, you are going to need some other site that is more tech-savvy than Verge and Polygon for that.
I have put a few more above, but I'm finishing at work.

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

Turin Turambar posted:

It's what I'm curious about too, is it really dynamic foveated rendering driven by eye tracking? But then again, you are going to need some other site that is more tech-savvy than Verge and Polygon for that.
I have put a few more above, but I'm finishing at work.

https://uploadvr.com/playstation-vr2-hands-on-preview/
Goes into a little more detail on this, but not much. In general it seems like it just wasn't a problem.

They also mention that the haptics are impressive and I had forgotten about the haptics in the headset itself. Feel like those haptics + spatial audio will probably lead to some terrifying jump scares.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That reminds me how the haptics in Sony's newest Playstation controllers are really cool and can feel amazing when a game uses them well. Always thought there's a lot of potential there for e.g. VR use as well.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/09/13/us/northeastern-university-boston-package-detonation/index.html

CNN posted:

1 person injured at Northeastern University after package detonated on Boston campus, officials say

A Northeastern University staff member was injured Tuesday when a package he was opening detonated on the Boston campus, officials said,

“The staff member sustained minor injuries and is being treated,” Shannon Nargi, a spokesperson for Northeastern University, told CNN in an email. The package was delivered to Holmes Hall, Nargi said.

The staffer, a 45-year-old man, suffered hand injuries, Boston Police Superintendent Felipe Colon said during a news conference Tuesday night.

Investigators haven’t said how the package arrived at the campus and stressed the investigation is ongoing.

During the news conference, officials said they were investigating a motive.

Several federal law enforcement sources told CNN the package contained a rambling note that criticized Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg and the relationship between academic institutions and the developers of virtual reality. CNN has reached out to Facebook for comment.

The note was in a hard plastic container and detonated when the victim opened the latches and lifted the lid, the sources said.

The package was delivered to the university’s virtual reality center and was opened by someone who works in the center, the sources said.

While the employee who opened the package was not seriously hurt, the explosion caused lacerations to his hands and other injuries, the sources added.

Police were called to the scene around 7:18 p.m., Colon said. A Northeastern University police officer responded within a minute of the initial call, said Michael Davis, chief of the university police department.

“It’s very important to note, our campus is secure,” Davis said.

Boston Police’s bomb squad and Boston Emergency Services were at the scene investigating, and the building was evacuated, Nargi said.

Boston Mayor Michelle Wu praised law enforcement’s response to the incident.

“We want to make sure to emphasize that this is of the utmost priority, the safety and well-being of all our young people here,” Wu said during the news conference.

The FBI Boston Division coordinated with the Boston Police Department, spokesperson Kristen Setera told CNN.

FBI Boston offered the full resources of the Joint Terrorism Task Force, its evidence response team and special agent bomb technicians to assist in the investigation, according to Jason Cromartie, assistant special agent in charge.

Just before 10 p.m., university police tweeted that the “scene at Homes Hall is currently contained.”

Holmes Hall is the hub of the school’s “Writing Center activities,” according to Northeastern’s website. University police tweeted that emergency services were responding to an incident there and asked people to avoid the area.

“We will update members of the Northeastern community when more information is available,” Nargi said.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Insanely disappointing they didn’t copy the Index controllers strap. Needing to hold your grip 100% or else you drop virtual items, or the controllers themselves, is completely solved by this. It’s really what stands out as one of the nicest things about the Index.

Oh and no audio is pretty wtf. Sony makes headphones. Again, how did valve do this better than anyone else?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mercifully the VR community is loaded with after-market options. I got the Kiwi knuckle grips for the Q2 and it was such a nice change.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1569876245802004482?s=46&t=7hnOAeHUd7k2ZGpqNylngA

Kojima is working on something to show at Tokyo Game Show

It appears to be on Quest 2

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1569876245802004482?s=46&t=7hnOAeHUd7k2ZGpqNylngA

That's just the machine Kojima uses to smell his own farts.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Would owning one allow me to smell my own or does everyone have to smell Kojimas?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

VR version of Death Stranding, but you play it as BB

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Opopanax posted:

VR version of Death Stranding, but you play it as BB

I would love for mads to coddle me and wipe my bum

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
played puzzling places for 2 hours on a lovesac while listening to somafm today, it was wonderful

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuts and Gum posted:

Insanely disappointing they didn’t copy the Index controllers strap. Needing to hold your grip 100% or else you drop virtual items, or the controllers themselves, is completely solved by this. It’s really what stands out as one of the nicest things about the Index.

Oh and no audio is pretty wtf. Sony makes headphones. Again, how did valve do this better than anyone else?

Even Pimax copied the strap for the Sword controller, maybe they only looked at the Oculus controllers as a reference or something?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I read somewhere that PSVR2 uses the eye tracking to automatically adjust IPD which is a great QoL thing, especially if we get more advanced versions of “team” games like Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. I feel like that type of genre has a lot of untapped potential for couch multiplayer - which would go well with the PSVR2 being tethered to a TV.

Hadlock posted:

2) controllers look like they have "magsafe" breakaway connectors:
----2a) annoying, proprietary bullshit cables, just use USB-C you morons
----2b) internal rechargable battery is actually worse than rechargable AA batteries, gently caress you
3) there's a forehead pad, but nothing on the bottom half, I guess they're moving away from the "ski goggle" light tight fit all-around? bummer

2) The current Quest 2 controllers last me about three weeks on a single (really old) rechargeable AA. Even if Cambria gets a third of the battery life, that’s still good enough to even take on a trip without the dock (assuming the HMD itself can charge with USB C).

3) They’re going with a halo strap for general fit with a facial interface gasket for light blocking. I guess it’s not installed by default to better showcase how the pancake lenses let them make it super thin.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I just learned about hand tracking today; the goddamn future that's where we are

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Opopanax posted:

I just learned about hand tracking today; the goddamn future that's where we are

i use a Leap motion for my vtuber when i stream and poo poo's kinda magic, yeah! and that thing is basically just a very small and accurate Kinect!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Frobbe posted:

i use a Leap motion for my vtuber when i stream and poo poo's kinda magic, yeah! and that thing is basically just a very small and accurate Kinect!

How the gently caress do you get it to accurately track your hands at all? I've been trying to set one up for my desktop setup forever and I just cannot get a necklace rig to "work" and desk rigs just don't work right seemingly for heaps of hand poses. Its so frustrating because I feel like theres not much better tech out there for this stuff atm and I end up relying on a second hand cam or straight up not using hands :(

Edit: Hmm I wonder if I could setup a thing with my chest harness gopro thing a doodle. hmmmmm.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 15, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

I think it's just a KojiPro virtual stand in the TGS VR app. Don't expect a game.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Too bad, I’m going to expect PT

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Death stranding 2, VR exclusive

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

MGS2 Vr do it do it

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I see Vorpx mentioned quite a bit when searching if a game has VR support.
Is the general consensus still...

Tom Guycot posted:

extremely hit or miss, and most of the time miss.

Looking for somewhere that lists VR compatible games that doesnt include Vorpx isnt easy.
I did find a Flatscreen To VR discord where the people are decent but the games being worked on are small.
They have a MW5 mod that works inside the Mech only and you have to switch back to desktop for map etc.
Which is better than nothing.
Still debating on getting MW5 to try it. Only $16 atm.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ultimech (f2p game) is out now. I tried it and well, I think in the end is a flawed concept, there is no good sense of flow in a match because the players are all over the field teleporting constantly, or just using the punches from far away. Nothing like Blaston that feels just right and cool from the get go.

I've been playing Deisim, which I bought time ago when it was still Early Access and... yeah, EA bit my rear end in this case. It isn't a normal strategy godgame as I thought it would be, there are no opponents to defeat, nor concrete challenging goals to beat. It's a totally sandbox 'toy'. A not very interesting one imo, it doesn't go deep enough to use that approach. Also, both the camera is a pain in the rear end (it doesn't use a, let's say, standard camera system), the UI is a failure in conveying information in VR medium, some of the miracles and progression lack any explanation and well, I could continue.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 16, 2022

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Turin Turambar posted:

Ultimech (f2p game) is out now. I tried it and well, I think in the end is a flawed concept, there is no good sense of flow in a match because the players are all over the field teleporting constantly, or just using the punches from far away. Nothing like Blaston that feels just right and cool from the get go.

I was hoping this would be like Nock with cool robots but the teleport movement feels limiting and it's just not as fun

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Turin Turambar posted:

I've been playing Deisim, which I bought time ago when it was still Early Access and... yeah, EA bit my rear end in this case. It isn't a normal strategy godgame as I thought it would be, there are no opponents to beat, not concrete challenging goals to beat. It's a totally sandbox 'toy'. A not very interesting one imo, it doesn't go deep enough to use that approach. Also, both the camera is a pain in the rear end (it doesn't use a, let's say, standard camera system), the UI is a failure in conveying information in VR medium, some of the miracles and progression lack any explanation and well, I could continue.

As a HUGE Blaston fan I tried this in the early beta. It had none of the appeal of Blaston at all. They were getting a lot of feedback from the people in the beta that there wasn't enough depth in the game, but I'm not sure how receptive they were.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

EbolaIvory posted:

How the gently caress do you get it to accurately track your hands at all? I've been trying to set one up for my desktop setup forever and I just cannot get a necklace rig to "work" and desk rigs just don't work right seemingly for heaps of hand poses. Its so frustrating because I feel like theres not much better tech out there for this stuff atm and I end up relying on a second hand cam or straight up not using hands :(

Edit: Hmm I wonder if I could setup a thing with my chest harness gopro thing a doodle. hmmmmm.

I just have it on my desk in front of my keyboard pointing upwards. Works great!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Blaston is cool but it takes like, minutes to get a match, if I'm lucky; is there a trick to this? I'm not gonna stand around in VR for 5 minutes just so I can fail to get a match

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Argue posted:

Blaston is cool but it takes like, minutes to get a match, if I'm lucky; is there a trick to this? I'm not gonna stand around in VR for 5 minutes just so I can fail to get a match

Stand in VR for 10 minutes instead?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Argue posted:

The trick was to play a year ago when there was a bigger playerbase.

But seriously, the game should match you with bots if it doesn't find anyone in 30 seconds. The game continues searching for a game in the background. At least that's how it worked some months ago.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The HL2 VR Mod beta opens on Steam in ~2 hrs, looking forward to giving this a go :dance:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm so stoked! Unless its somehow total trash (doubtful, given the names involved with it), I plan to spend every night this weekend with it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I was hoping to spend the last few days with the new Subnautica Below Zero update.
But it borked the mods.
And I cant play without massive inventory for all the ore collectin.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If you want a new strap/battery for the Q2, I can confirm that the Bobo is really drat good.
It's a halo strap, so it won't mess up your hair as much. The weight distribution is pretty solid. I also like that the battery is attached by magnets and can be charged anywhere.

It's also on sale.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JNR4Y15?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

explosivo posted:

The HL2 VR Mod beta opens on Steam in ~2 hrs, looking forward to giving this a go :dance:

It looks so good, can't wait to see how weird the Ravenholm section is from inside a headset

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kinda lol

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1570826219196944385?s=46&t=fZRp6ksVQRu3zWkG-H47DA

Like why?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Why would they, or why didn't they?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

There is obviously some technical Reason why they didn’t but it’s not a good feeling for the people that might have wanted to upgrade their first version.

It’s kinda lovely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Oof. They better have a solid reason for that. Lack of backward compatibility is not great when the library of good VR games is already pretty limited.