Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

harperdc posted:

The Fuji 6 Hours is back! And it’s live! And I’m finally at this loving race after threatening to go since like 2015.

Lot more later but I’m absolutely in heaven.

I do a lot of work in Kanagawa, how hard is it to get to Fuji without a car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Nice! I don’t have MotorTrend so I’ll probably watch when it’s on YouTube. I’m in the middle of nailing down plans with my family to take my dad to Le Mans next year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

I do a lot of work in Kanagawa, how hard is it to get to Fuji without a car?

Probably just extra time compared to driving - take a train to Gotemba then a bus over and I think they drop off near the main grandstand concourse. I rented a car because I’m an idiot and also like driving.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I love these WEC races. This is the first 6 hour race I’ve been really able to follow beginning to end. The Iron Dames are killers, it’s been very entertaining following them over the past hour. Great racing all around.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Race over, HY podium is Toyota supremacy as expected, second place for iron dames in gt am

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bit of a shame the 93 hit troubles, would’ve been nice to see it make the podium. Track announcers were geeked out that the 777 Aston made the podium, but not much for the Dames that I could hear…

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

harperdc posted:

Bit of a shame the 93 hit troubles, would’ve been nice to see it make the podium. Track announcers were geeked out that the 777 Aston made the podium, but not much for the Dames that I could hear…

It's going to take a lot of effort on Peugeot part to get competitive. At Monza the cars were either turbofucked or coasting at gte speeds to keep the drivetrain from imploding and it looks the same from this race.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/othoudazz/status/1568861339724169216?s=20&t=fC0mgMTMQ-qA3ItMFU4WLQ

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Honestly same

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

there were parents walking around with infants that didn't have hearing protection on at all and where the child was passed out. it was something else.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

harperdc posted:

there were parents walking around with infants that didn't have hearing protection on at all and where the child was passed out. it was something else.

It would be a nice marketing idea to sell ear pro at the fanzone shops or whatever, at Monza I forgot mine and had to resort to sleeping plugs from a drug store near my hotel, no hearing protection sold on any shop in the track grounds.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NHRA does that. And if you ask at the Nitro Mall they can put you in contact with people that die professional ear molded protection. I believe it’s still Racing Electronics that handles that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

It would be a nice marketing idea to sell ear pro at the fanzone shops or whatever

They did, but only over-ear ones for smaller heads than mine. Will not make that mistake twice.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Here’s the ear mold gimmicks I was talking about :

https://racingelectronics.com/collections/for-race-teams/products/ear-mold-custom-super-soft-mono-with-cord

Worth having if you’re gonna be around the loud stuff. I wear mine so I can listen to wholly inappropriate music while the cars go by.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

coconono posted:

Here’s the ear mold gimmicks I was talking about :

https://racingelectronics.com/collections/for-race-teams/products/ear-mold-custom-super-soft-mono-with-cord

Worth having if you’re gonna be around the loud stuff. I wear mine so I can listen to wholly inappropriate music while the cars go by.

I took a look quickly and might get some cheap(er) in-ear ones that fit, some list that they're -20db or so which would probably be enough to make it more comfortable. definitely will pick some up before the next race I get to. my fault for imagining the WEC cars aren't much louder than the Super GT cars a couple years back. sigh.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah aside from NASCAR and NHRA, endurance cars are some of the loudest racecars out there.

I was very surprised how quiet indycar was compared to IMSA

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I always carry a lot of extra foamies with me when I go to races. I offer them to people if I see them clasping their ears. I don't get why people bring kids, without hearing protection, and dogs to race tracks.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm a fan of the over ear 3M worktunes headphones at races. The built in radio helps to hear commentary as well.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Howard Leight Impact Sport earmuffs are great because they have an audio in jack as well as microphones to let in noise when it isn't at damaging levels, and they're not terribly expensive.

There's also MSA Sordins with gel cups if you are going to a lot of races or have other needs for high quality over-the-ear protection (but they're like $300)

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Yeah aside from NASCAR and NHRA, endurance cars are some of the loudest racecars out there.

I was very surprised how quiet indycar was compared to IMSA

When WEC (or was it ALMS?) was at COTA a few years back I was surprised at how loud it was especially on the front straight between the grandstand and garages. It’s stops being a sound and is just noise at that point. Luckily I had some foam earplugs and some extras for my dad who didn’t bring anything. I don’t remember the V8 supercars being quite as loud.

Arcella fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 12, 2022

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Thierry Neuville won a rally, with hyundai telling Ott Tanak to hold second, so Dani Sordo could come third for a hyundai podium sweep.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

harperdc posted:

My fault for imagining the WEC cars aren't much louder than the Super GT cars a couple years back. sigh.

LMP2 were the most noisy at Monza, HY and GTE were relatively quiet. The Jota LMP2 going full speed from the Rettifilo to the finish line made the grandstand asphalt vibrate while the rest of the cars (HY included) were far less extreme. I think the noise restrictions on LMP2 are getting implemented at the next class ruleset update which is happening soon.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The loudest road racing I've ever experienced is all of the '16 spec 911 RSRs and a few P2s screaming down the pit straight at Sebring at once, with all their exhausts reflecting off the pit building right into us on the opposite side. It was almost nauseatingly loud, even with earpro

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I must be broken I've been to the Sebring 12 and never even considered I needed them.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Note this was WEC so there were like 12 P2s and 10 911 RSRs on track at once

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

LMP2 were the most noisy at Monza, HY and GTE were relatively quiet. The Jota LMP2 going full speed from the Rettifilo to the finish line made the grandstand asphalt vibrate while the rest of the cars (HY included) were far less extreme. I think the noise restrictions on LMP2 are getting implemented at the next class ruleset update which is happening soon.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

The loudest road racing I've ever experienced is all of the '16 spec 911 RSRs and a few P2s screaming down the pit straight at Sebring at once, with all their exhausts reflecting off the pit building right into us on the opposite side. It was almost nauseatingly loud, even with earpro

WEC Loudness Rankings, my own subjective opinion:

1. Alpine LMP1 - only the one out there, but it's like a LMP2 that goes up to 11.
2. All of the Gibson LMP2s - My guess is they don't have much of a muffler on those things. Sound great, but when you have 3-4 go by at a time, it adds up.
3. Porsche 911 RSR - Loud? Yes. But holy poo poo they also sound great.
4. Toyota GR-010 - Surprisingly loud, but also deeper than expected. Interesting.
5. Peugeot 9x8 - Ditto, bit higher pitch than the Toyota.
6. Corvette C8R - Bit of a growl at the top end but similar to...
7. Ferrari 458 GTE - Not bad, but definitely hampered by the turbo. However, the turbo flutter on lift off going into the hairpin? Glorious.
8. Aston Martin Vantage - Pleasantly snarly, but not super loud.

Problem is that the second loudest on that list? There's a ton of them, and if my Apple Watch is to be believed, when a pack of the P2s came by lapping any of the GTEs, it suddenly got well over 90 db for a good stretch on the main straight, with the sound just bouncing between the huge grandstand and the pit buildings. Fun, but hard to handle for six hours.

I also still remember the 200...6? American Le Mans Series when the Audi R10 diesels first showed up. There's shock at something being loud, but even bigger shock when something just runs whisper-quiet and speeds right by you. Unreal.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Funny I thought the Alpine (then Rebellion) was pretty quiet compared to the P2s, since it had exhausts between the fenders instead of on the sides. You may have been up high where you got a blast of sound unblocked by the fenders though.

As far as quiet cars, the TS050 was remarkably quiet, but nothing compared to the M8 GTE, especially when you were on driver's left (exhaust only on driver's right on them). They sounded great but you could only hear them if they were alone on track, super quiet.

Meanwhile some of the loudest cars outside of GTE and LMP2 I ever experienced were the Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge Street Tuner class cars, particularly the MX-5s and Caymans, on downshifts, since they were still 3 pedaling it, totally straight pipes to get as much power as possible out of them. They were stupid loud.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think the loudest sportscars I remember were those 911 RSRs from a few years ago, the Mazda 787B, and those World Challenges CTS-Vs. Insanely loud.

The quietest for me is probably the Audi diesels. For all the jokes about the Sebring 12 hour with nine classes, but you gotta admit it made for some nice noises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEBLDOeM7f4&t=82s

(Also this a great video to watch in the offseason if you are missing the track)

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I was at Long Beach 2013, and the CTS-V's were on a whole other level from all the other GT cars. I ended up using one of the crossovers during a practice session, and every time they'd come through, every part of you just rattled absurdly. Very cool.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Cygni posted:

I think the loudest sportscars I remember were those 911 RSRs from a few years ago, the Mazda 787B, and those World Challenges CTS-Vs. Insanely loud.

The quietest for me is probably the Audi diesels. For all the jokes about the Sebring 12 hour with nine classes, but you gotta admit it made for some nice noises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEBLDOeM7f4&t=82s

(Also this a great video to watch in the offseason if you are missing the track)

I'm loving the 17 variations of "vroom" and then the occasional "fssssssh" as an Audi passes.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Discovered that Fuji is being broadcast on TV2 Sport so I set TVheadend to record it, so I can watch it tomorrow.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Discovered that Fuji is being broadcast on TV2 Sport so I set TVheadend to record it, so I can watch it tomorrow.

Eurosport has been showing it every twelve hour since Sunday. Just in case tvheadend fails to record.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Eurosport has been showing it every twelve hour since Sunday. Just in case tvheadend fails to record.
Even with a VoD that I recorded, and with the commercial skipping built into tvheadend, I'd rather avoid Eurosport and all of their endless commercials.

Not sure why tvheadend would fail, though.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Even with a VoD that I recorded, and with the commercial skipping built into tvheadend, I'd rather avoid Eurosport and all of their endless commercials.

Not sure why tvheadend would fail, though.

Tvheadend has always succeded in not grabbing the video from my dvb-t usb sticks so i'm still a bit wary of relying on it :)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Tvheadend has always succeded in not grabbing the video from my dvb-t usb sticks so i'm still a bit wary of relying on it :)
But you can watch TV from it just fine?

Check that you don't have EITp/f enabled, as it's shown here:

Also, are you sure tvheadend can write to where you're telling it to put the recordings?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ford announced that they're going to be offering gt3 mustangs now. Should be some interesting team efforts.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

net work error posted:

Ford announced that they're going to be offering gt3 mustangs now. Should be some interesting team efforts.

They announced it a while back, but this is the first time it’s broken cover. I think they’re trying to begin racing in 2024, which lines up with when the WEC is planning on bringing in GT3 cars for the Am-only GT class. I think they also already confirmed we’re getting the Mustang GT3 in GTD Pro in IMSA as well.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ah, my bad. Either way more OEM support is better than less and possibly seeing a mustang running around Le Mans will be very cool.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The S650 based Mustang GT3 is a chunky lad, big enough to give the Big M8 a run for its money imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm in Reading Pennsylvania for the something or other NHRA Nationals. We're doing all the sportsman qualifying today which is like wacky races. poo poo explodes, cars piss themselves, drivers poo poo while making eye contact with the 12 fans in attendance. I'm assuming the other 12 got lost on the way to the track because its out in the sticks(remember the woods from Assassin's Creed 3, its that kinda place). You're missing quality car mayhem y'all.

E: Its the Pep Boys NHRA Nationals. Love da Pep boys.