Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Hammerite posted:

As a developer who works occasionally (but not specifically) on front-end stuff, I don't know what the connotations are of listing jquery on one's resume. Can you explain?

My vague impression of jQuery is that it was a major thing when it was first released over a decade ago, but that some of what it did is now part of the relevant standards so it may be a bit redundant now. Also that it's a toolbox, rather than a framework.
You could make the case for using jQuery back when browsers had to support both IE6 and chrome at the same time, because poo poo like event handlers worked differently in every browser. You shouldn't have been using it anymore in 2012, and even discussing it in 2022 is hilariously out of touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

duck monster posted:

That unfortunately is not up to me. I'm 2IC to the project manager. The problem is this guy has big-boss protection and project manager has *no* interested in rocking that boat. Might be a clients son or something (We had one of those before with similarly catastrophic effects, thankfully THAT guy quit on his accord.)

I'm sure you have your reasons for staying. They have to be to override two significant "abandon ship" signals.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

You could make the case for using jQuery back when browsers had to support both IE6 and chrome at the same time, because poo poo like event handlers worked differently in every browser. You shouldn't have been using it anymore in 2012, and even discussing it in 2022 is hilariously out of touch.

TFW you aren't sure if someone is yelling at you or just in your direction

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hammerite posted:

As a developer who works occasionally (but not specifically) on front-end stuff, I don't know what the connotations are of listing jquery on one's resume. Can you explain?

My vague impression of jQuery is that it was a major thing when it was first released over a decade ago, but that some of what it did is now part of the relevant standards so it may be a bit redundant now. Also that it's a toolbox, rather than a framework.

it's like telling a c# shop that your primary skillset is visual basic

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jazerus posted:

it's like telling a c# shop that your primary skillset is visual basic

VB6 even, nothing as cool and new as .NET

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

duck monster posted:

That unfortunately is not up to me. I'm 2IC to the project manager. The problem is this guy has big-boss protection and project manager has *no* interested in rocking that boat. Might be a clients son or something (We had one of those before with similarly catastrophic effects, thankfully THAT guy quit on his accord.)

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm sure you have your reasons for staying. They have to be to override two significant "abandon ship" signals.

Seriously, :sever: ASAP

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

mistermojo posted:

front end developers have to keep using new frameworks or the numb and rote nature of their work will set in

Take any noun in English, add ".js" to the end, and put it into Google. If there's not a JS framework already named that, congratulations on finding one of God's names.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I saw a website still using prototype.js last year, that was quite a site.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
seems silly to rewrite the working frontend in vue or react or svelte or whatever, primarily because those frameworks always lead to sites that suck balls

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Vanilla.js is still my favorite.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Hammerite posted:

That matches my experience with jQuery. TBH, I'll still use it for basic ad-hoc scraping on any sites that include it. I'm more familiar with doing $(".tableToScrape tr").forEach(row => processRow(row)) than with the modern getElementByQuery(".tableToScrape tr")...

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 14, 2022

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Jesus wept: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6023461/php-variables-made-with-foreach

PHP Coders are loving nightmare factories.

necrotic posted:

I saw a website still using prototype.js last year, that was quite a site.

Did it have sick flames above the "construction site" sign?

Prototype was the most ruby on railsest of js libraries, a cornocopia of magical nonsense that ultimately caused more problems than it solved.. Fucken thing actually monkeypatched .prototype.blah poo poo into the DOM which as you could imagine was something that would produce pretty friggin inconsistent results.

Although in its defense, at least it didnt require a loving buildchain. Or common sense.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 14, 2022

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
No fun gifs, sadly. But yeah they came to our support because our SDK wasn’t working on their site… because prototype monkey patches some toJSON methods that do not behave how the standard ones do! We told them “nope stop using prototype we’re not supporting that”

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

love to overwrite arbitrary variables with a user-provided list

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
That is like one of the problems that extremely beginner coders often encounter, like "how do I dynamically name variables in a loop" and while its a fundamentally wrong way of thinking about programming, asking that question is usually the first step to understanding data structures such as arrays, dictionaries, etc.
But it's cool that PHP gives you function that just does it, instead

Mata fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 14, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think one time I've had to use the fact that R has a function to get a variable value from the string representation of its name. I forget the reason, and it's possible I should have just used a list (which is, among other things, R's version of a dictionary) instead

interpreted languages are already basically treating their variable names as keys in a map in the underlying language the interpreter is coded in anyways so you might as well offer the functionality, even if it's rarely useful

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Mata posted:

But it's cool that PHP gives you function that just does it, instead

They probably miss the olden days when it just happened by default

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
R does function calls by string-replacing the formal argument names in the body with the actual arguments. It's a cursed way of doing f-expressions and known to be impossible to compile.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The existence of this is just a historical artifact. Nobody writing PHP code professionally use poo poo like this.

It won't surprise me if a lot of old cruft like this is not marked deprecated and quickly removed from the language.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Tei posted:

The existence of this is just a historical artifact. Nobody writing PHP code professionally use poo poo like this.

There are zero parts of PHP that I would believe this is true for.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Tei posted:

It won't surprise me if a lot of old cruft like this is not marked deprecated and quickly removed from the language.

Nor is this the case either. I don't think a single thing was removed between 5.x and 7.x and I doubt 8.x is any different. Wordpress compatibility is the biggest yoke on the whole language.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Tei posted:

Man oh man oh man I wish this were true. It is absolutely not true.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

I find a lot of bad code from enthusiastic new coders stem from locking into a solution early trying to work against the language instead of backing up.

Doesn't help that stuff like stack overflow will gladly tell people how to do Z while the user should back up and rethink from X.

Like asking how to access something in a react child component from the parent and getting answers about references, instead of getting told about how to structure react components or user callbacks.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

I'm trying to use an internally developed library but having no luck. I ask the devs what's up with it saying I'm using version 3.0.1, latest stable.

"Oh no, no, see you need to use 3.0.0 as that has the latest bugfixes."

Meaning 3.0.0 which was already released is now being modified retroactively! (?!)

As a result there's now two different 3.0.0 versions mixed everywhere, and for half of us the library won't work because it's updated to the OLD version 3.0.1 automatically in the package manager. lmao.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Nice artifact repository you have there that allows retroactively updating packages, too. Working in tandem with your devs, apparently :)

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus
i've seen some perl nonsense (which replaced whatever ibm nonsense net.data was) that did the equivalent of the php thing above to define a separate variable named like TABLE_i_j for every cell (i, j) of a big table of data.

if you query too much data, it crashes the whole rear end interpreter because it has some limit on the number of variables you can define, which is something i had never previously in my life even considered was a possible issue.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ShimaTetsuo posted:

if you query too much data, it crashes the whole rear end interpreter because it has some limit on the number of variables you can define, which is something i had never previously in my life even considered was a possible issue.

Oh, I know this one: you need to define a container variable which points to your own internal variable manager for the additional variables you need, probably some kind of string-keyed map. :angel:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Well, since this is the coding horrors thread, might as well mention PHP's mktime function, whose arguments are hour, minute, second, month, day, year, in that order.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Doom Mathematic posted:

Well, since this is the coding horrors thread, might as well mention PHP's mktime function, whose arguments are hour, minute, second, month, day, year, in that order.

Which is especially ridiculous as the libc mktime function takes a struct tm which has the time/date components in the right friggin order inside it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Doom Mathematic posted:

:chloe:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That kind of makes sense if you're American

Like if you were hand specifying a time you'd say something like

12:30:49 5/26/2022

Same order as the function call

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
PHP finds a new way to disappoint me every day.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

Which is especially ridiculous as the libc mktime function takes a struct tm which has the time/date components in the right friggin order inside it.
Unspecified order is the best order :hmmyes:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
C has designated initializers so you can do whatever order you like! Just can't beat the flexibility of these modern dynamic languages.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

Coding horrors: that kind of makes sense if you're American

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah but the language was not invented by Americans, so what the gently caress.

Bruegels Fuckbooks fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 16, 2022

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

pokeyman posted:

C has designated initializers so you can do whatever order you like! Just can't beat the flexibility of these modern dynamic languages.

Oh man.

I work in a shop where C++11 is typical, C++14 is for the new hip types, and C++17 is considered bleeding edge and barely supported. However, this shop _also_ works in ObjC, which is derived from C99 and thus has designated initializers (and it's considered idiomatic to use them with frequently used structs like CGRect).

The loving idiotic arguments I have seen from neckbeards in code reviews, insisting that designated initializers are a compiler extension and must not be used until C++20 is officially approved.

Lord grant me the confidence of a mediocre C++ programmer.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
PHP, the language where the dates are American, the errors are in Hebrew and ...?

(I like this setup for a joke but I'm too uncreative today to come up with a punchline for it. I'm open sourcing my posting)

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
...and the pain knows no borders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Sistergodiva posted:

I find a lot of bad code from enthusiastic new coders stem from locking into a solution early trying to work against the language instead of backing up.

Doesn't help that stuff like stack overflow will gladly tell people how to do Z while the user should back up and rethink from X.

This is the bane of software development. 95% of devs will fall over themselves to solve a “how” question asked without stopping ask “why?” I see it in jobs all the time.