Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Timby posted:

Tell me you're not human without telling me you're not human.

More human than human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Crazy Ted posted:

If you're doing a Taco Pizza, maybe. Otherwise, huh???

place near me does a BLT pizza that i was super suspicious of until i ate it and now i crave it once a month

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Jonathan Tjarks passed away on Saturday night: https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/...ntent=visitsite

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Thanks for sharing. How heartbreaking. That piece linked on the previous page was very moving.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I’m glad he was able to document how much he loved his family and it is just sad, he was young.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lol rip

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015

Dexo posted:

Lol rip

It’s not great.

What I don’t understand is why not keep the full price ad free and the cut rate ad supported? My subscription was up 9/28 so I’m not burned but I would be beyond pissed if I had just started a new yearly cycle and they did this.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

Lol rip

Oof. I did just sign up for 6 months at $1 a month again, so I guess at that price some ads aren't a big deal. The quality of the site has been really good! But no way would I pay close to full price especially with ads.

In some fairness, one of the reasons I cancelled defector is it was $8 a month and they had Warby Parker ads all over the place.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
It’s shocking how tasteless ads can be. That Jonathan tjarks post from the ringer is like 150 words and it’s interrupted by one ad and then there are two more betgm ads at the bottom. It’s so tacky

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

uggy posted:

It’s shocking how tasteless ads can be. That Jonathan tjarks post from the ringer is like 150 words and it’s interrupted by one ad and then there are two more betgm ads at the bottom. It’s so tacky
That's pretty much JournalismIn2022.jpg at this point

Like any time I go to a major news org's site on my phone it's like 1 paragraph- 1 ad, 1 paragraph, 1 ad, etc.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dexo posted:

Lol rip

Ugh. Welp, there goes the last best thing about The Athletic. Hope the app stays ad-free, otherwise it just means that nice clean layout gets interrupted by blank spaces.

Defector the only real ones left in the game.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

Hope the app stays ad-free,

I have some bad news

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

I have some bad news

Yeah I saw.

At least that article has a lot of people letting their stance be know loud and clear in the comments.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Lockback posted:

In some fairness, one of the reasons I cancelled defector is it was $8 a month and they had Warby Parker ads all over the place.

Defector no longer has advertising. Those ads helped fund the site in its early days.

They published their business update yesterday. They’re fully funded through subscriptions, and have been for some time.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Defector no longer has advertising. Those ads helped fund the site in its early days.

They published their business update yesterday. They’re fully funded through subscriptions, and have been for some time.

Yup. If they do something with a sponsor, which is rare, it's one placement on the homepage. None of this scrolling through ads poo poo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

First mention I saw of bemoaning Athletic going with ads was on Awful Announcing and holy poo poo that’s rich coming from them

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

DJExile posted:

First mention I saw of bemoaning Athletic going with ads was on Awful Announcing and holy poo poo that’s rich coming from them

Yeah their website can get unusable with auto play videos. It's a shame because their content is good.

No-ads Athletic was too good to last. A company like the NYT isn't going to pass up revenue. This reminds me of cable TV realizing that they could collect subscription fees AND show ads.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'd love to hear a KOC and Chris Ryan Tjarks pod, they were all friends and great basketball minds. Unfortunately...

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

rest in peace good buddy anyways here's why the suns shouldn't have drafted deandre ayton a thought nobody has ever had before

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Declan MacManus posted:

rest in peace good buddy anyways here's why the suns shouldn't have drafted deandre ayton a thought nobody has ever had before

Pearl Jam

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
lmao

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
https://moody.utexas.edu/graduate-programs/jonathan-tjarks-graduate-fellowship

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1570457498834079745?s=20&t=2396ct9-fpGQypPjF5P6kw

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

There's a new series on Defector where two writers are trying to do the technical challenges from the Great British Baking Show. https://defector.com/the-not-so-great-defector-bake-off-grapples-with-cake-week/. No spoilers, but it's wild.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Maigius posted:

There's a new series on Defector where two writers are trying to do the technical challenges from the Great British Baking Show. https://defector.com/the-not-so-great-defector-bake-off-grapples-with-cake-week/. No spoilers, but it's wild.

I couldn't stop laughing when I saw the pictures of the final product from this

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Anyway, Defector good. It took a while, but I'm finally over my compulsive midday work habit of typing "dea-" into my browser address bar.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

nikosoft posted:

Anyway, Defector good. It took a while, but I'm finally over my compulsive midday work habit of typing "dea-" into my browser address bar.

i just got over typing in "gra-" like this year

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I guess this was the obvious next step

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1573004668586045442?s=20&t=PACmeQ4M0Ify3iP-AbAnPw

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Only a matter of time until I can get that Woj action figure I've been wanting.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Complete with a spring-action Woj Bomb!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Could be cool. Could still be way too expensive after initial run. Will definitely check it out because I had a lot of those things as a kid.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The X-man cometh posted:

Complete with a spring-action Woj Bomb!

I would build a backyard playset like 80s/90s commercials.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

I would build a backyard playset like 80s/90s commercials.
My parents had one of those pool tables that never got used for pool so the green felt was a natural fit for Starting Lineup baseball figures.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Lmao get out of here with a $50 price tag. Give me an $8 figure that vaguely looks like the person if you don’t pay too much attention and two points of articulation.

Bring back McFarlane sports picks while we’re at it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Maigius posted:

Hahaha omg

quote:

The red food coloring I tried to make by mixing together two red things I had in the kitchen (frozen cherries and Campari) and subbing this mixture in for the “hot water” the recipe called for.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, Kelsey McKinney is a madwoman in that GBBO article. Forgetting the heavy whipping cream should have been an omen to her.

The end result photos are great.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4013105

I feel like this thread should maybe be cross-promoted here.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4013105

I feel like this thread should maybe be cross-promoted here.

drat I have like zero good ideas at the moment but definitely hope this thread takes off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what is going on here lmao