Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Already has a steam page. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1448440/Wo_Long_Fallen_Dynasty/ This makes me think we will get gameplay reveal at maybe gamescom or Tokyo game show., Team Ninja usually reuse lots of assets so I could see this being a quick turnaround from Nioh 2.

This caught my eye in the descripton.

quote:

2. Awaken the Power Within
Defeat deadly enemies to boost morale and awaken the power from within! Overcome adversity through unique new strategies, including battle styles based on the “Five Phases”.

3. Live by the Sword
Renowned for ruthless strikes that can change the tide of battle in an instant, sword practitioners of the Chinese martial arts gracefully change pace as they shift between offensive and defensive maneuvers. Overwhelm opponents with a flurry of force in a series of intense and bloody battles while learning the precision and skill necessary to become a true master of the sword.

5 phases I was initially thinking maybe a spin on the stance from Nioh, but it looks like in Chinese mythology 5 phases refers to 5 elements(fire, water, wood, earth, metal). Maybe it's gonna have something similar to Ghost of Tsushima where you could only dmg certain opponents in certain stances but they were named after elements as well but I feel like that was a bit too rock-paper-scissor type combat you literally couldn't dmg certain enemies in certain stances.

The "live by the sword" description is definitely giving me Sekiro vibes. Parry is the definition of switching from defense to offense instantly. I know Nioh already had parry but maybe its better and more focused here.

Anyway this game is high on wishlist even 2023 looking potentially stacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I think everything that was shown at the Microsoft/Bethesda thing was supposed to be out within a year, so yeah before June next year at the latest.

It could be a stance thing, where being aligned with an element/phase allows you to do attack the appropriate ones according to taoist tradition. Meaning that everyone is going to have to memorize this chart:

Of course, it's really hard to guess anything based on that kind of copy, but they do love their deep cut references to mythology and mysticism, so....

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
But... burning huŏ can't melt jīn beams???

Maybe instead of being completely immune like in Ghosts, enemies will just be extra weak to certain tactics, like in Doom Eternal where you could choose to shoot a cacodemon to death or just fire a grenade into their mouths for an instant glorykill.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

They better not have another bird man who is resistant to all elements because screw you, player :mad:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Captainicus posted:

They better not have another bird man who is resistant to all elements because screw you, player :mad:

ITSUMADEEEE

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/WoLongOfficial/status/1552751918853799936

Hold on to your butts!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
All of that sounds fantastic

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh good, they are including sorcery as a gameplay option. I hope it's as flavoursome as Nioh's onmyodo - playing as a Taoist warrior-priest would be rad.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Cannot wait to pummel the Shu generals into loving oblivion.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I still need to finish Nioh 2 and Stranger of Paradise but that all sounds great to me.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Morter posted:

Cannot wait to pummel the Shu generals into loving oblivion.

I think we can just assume right here and now that the guandao will be one of your weapon options and you will be able to get the best skills and gear for it by repeatedly beating Guan Yu into a pulp. It's as obvious as Honda Tadakatsu being the main spear guy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P9s_XCD1EE

Gameplay video. That's some smooth looking combat!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Oh drat that looks great

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
This game is gonna be so good in coop.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.ign.com/articles/wo-long-how-team-ninjas-new-soulslike-differs-from-nioh

You can jump so it's more vertical, no stamina, more than 10 weapon types, a morale system that harkens back to dynasty warriors a little

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

cannot wait

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

wo long, gay bowser

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

wo long, gay bowser

Thread title for the new game

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Edit: reading the thread is hard

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gwsQvDGh4o

Team Ninja on a roll.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

2024 though lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh well at least there's Chinese Nioh soon

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/09/13/revealing-rise-of-the-ronin-a-new-action-rpg-from-team-ninja/

Sounds a lot like Way of the Samurai. I was interested, now I'm excited.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh well at least there's Chinese Nioh soon

Ya! Btw people here might be interested but I would try out Stranger of Paradise another Team Ninja game if you see it on sale. The gameplay is really really freaking good. It has some technical issues in cutscenes and the story is cheesy as hell but it's a drat fun time. I actually like how weird and different the weapons feel compared to Nioh.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Yeah I'm very interested to get to Stranger of Paradise when I can, been waiting for it to go on sale and have too much other stuff in my backlog already. But it looks like effectively a Nioh spinoff with a Final Fantasy coat of paint.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
There are a lot of things that make SOP feel significantly different. For one thing, there’s no stamina so you should be constantly on the offensive. And the vast majority of fights are going to be group fights. The loot is much simpler (and kind of boring) but the classes feel very distinct and I think it’s worth checking out. It’s not more Nioh like I wanted but it’s a cool game that stands on its own merits.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oooh yeah, that sounds very interesting. Looks like they're doing a proper open world in this one.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

so long, wo long

the timing of this announcement seems weird so soon after announcing another new IP (and with final fantasy DLC also still in the works). baseless speculation: With this game being funded by sony which is in some weird exclusivity messaging war with microsoft right now, sony wanted team ninja to announce it early so that playstation has more known exclusives.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tiramisu posted:

There are a lot of things that make SOP feel significantly different. For one thing, there’s no stamina so you should be constantly on the offensive. And the vast majority of fights are going to be group fights. The loot is much simpler (and kind of boring) but the classes feel very distinct and I think it’s worth checking out. It’s not more Nioh like I wanted but it’s a cool game that stands on its own merits.

Definitely, its not straight up Nioh but Nioh is the closest game to it. I do agree you can play it much faster and on reaction than Nioh since there is no stamina. There is a spellshield, a parry and a dodge mechanic so you have lots of defensive options. The story is super stupid but the characters are likeable despite talking about chaos every 5 seconds. I would still call it a soulslike but it seems like it kinda went under the radar. Definitely worth a buy imo.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Stranger of Paradise's story is almost incomprehensible for 3/4 and then it suddenly turns into something amazing all the way till credits.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The VAs go all in as well, especially the dude who plays Jack. CRUSH YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I really like the spellcasting in SOP, they really nailed the slow, powerful, room clearing mage in a fast action game.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Captainicus posted:

I really like the spellcasting in SOP, they really nailed the slow, powerful, room clearing mage in a fast action game.

Ya I been going pugilist + mage. So far it's great vs some enemies I just go melee range and bumrush them. With the circle spellshield thing you can really go ham and just put that up once enemy indicates attack. I actually really like that the enemies have the attack thing on top of their head to show they will do a big attack. With all the making GBS threads happening it really helps you pace the fights better between attack/defense. I got my pugilist to advanced class of Monk so far the special heal on it seems weak but maybe I am not using it properly and you lose one of the best abilities from the pugilist tree. The affinity system is really cool too, in Nioh you got bonuses for running the same sets but here it's just if the equipment has the affinity of your job in it. But the mage class seems like the most broken because you can build back MP with just charging a spell while in the other classes you can only build mp by hitting the enemy. So you get aoe dmg + you don't need to hit enemy to build MP + the range on the spells is insane + you can cancel anytime to dodge incoming ranged attacks from enemy.

Also I feel like the game is weird in it's difficulty, I am playing on hard. The first boss Black Knight dude was really hard then its super super easy until 4th boss the element core fire/water dudes, I am currently stuck there. But the party members in this game remind me of Code Vein, they are actually really useful and deal decent dmg. I remember playing Code Vein without the party member and honestly felt that game was harder to complete than Souls series in solo run.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Ulio posted:

But the mage class seems like the most broken because you can build back MP with just charging a spell while in the other classes you can only build mp by hitting the enemy.

If you want more MP regen, you can get some levels in Red Mage, it has the universal command skill 'Mana Regen' that spends one block of max mana to regen 5-6 blocks over time. I used that command skill basically for the whole game, alongside Rune of Blood from Black Mage (next active skill/spell deals double damage)

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Ulio posted:

Also I feel like the game is weird in it's difficulty, I am playing on hard. The first boss Black Knight dude was really hard then its super super easy until 4th boss the element core fire/water dudes, I am currently stuck there. But the party members in this game remind me of Code Vein, they are actually really useful and deal decent dmg. I remember playing Code Vein without the party member and honestly felt that game was harder to complete than Souls series in solo run.

Would you recommend playing on hard the first time? I usually pay whatever the default is, but for something similar to Nioh the difficulty seems like it would be more important.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

The Pirate Captain posted:

Would you recommend playing on hard the first time? I usually pay whatever the default is, but for something similar to Nioh the difficulty seems like it would be more important.

I played SOP on hard the first time, having already played nioh1/2. I think that was the right choice, still felt like a challenge without being super punishing. Some bosses can be pretty hard if you are fixated on a single job, though. Helps to try multiple options.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Sage ended up being my boss killer for obvious reasons. It was really fun though.

I'm still kinda hoping they introduce some balancing and QoL stuff to the game like glamour option for gear or stuff.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The Pirate Captain posted:

I think Captainicus is right. Hard is a decent challenge but you gotta have more than one job because certain jobs are rear end. Basically one melee + one ranged job seems like a good balance. During the review week I heard people say its REALLY hard but imo its not. The fact that you have allies really helps, basically on hard many enemies have atleast one ability that can almost 1 shot you. But as I said, this game is like traditional Final Fantasy games when an enemy does a big attack, the name of the attack flashes on top of their head so usually that's your queue to stop mashing attack. A lot of the enemies have spells + special attacks so you gotta keep an eye out for that. It's like Nioh or Dark Souls where the enemies just have their regular attacks. You can parry, spellshield, dodge and the block cancels many of the attacks of the lighter weapons. So while you can get killed easily you have so many defensive options. Imo the spellshield mechanic is so loving smart. It's basically a parry that can steal enemy spells and you can use it to parry multiple hit attacks more easily. While the actual parry timing is bit more finnicky but can give you a better window for attack.

This is what I like about Team Ninja, the gameplay of their soulslike is changing. I wish From took more risk in the gameplay department. But whenever Fromsoft has added new mechanics like that or the rally from Bloodborne or weapon arts, it's significantly improved the game. With Sekiro they showed they have the chops to basically make a almost full action game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPDI4ehuA38

Also some new Wolong footage, it shows the character creation scene and some new gameplay footage. It looks like there is a stream dedicated for it tomorrow and people can play it at TGS. I really hope they release some online demo.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 15, 2022

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

They’ve put out demos for both Nioh games and SoP, so it seems safe to assume they will again. Just a question of how soon (please be very soon).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The demo's out now if you have an Xbox or a PS5

https://mobile.twitter.com/WoLongOfficial/status/1570729458541113345