Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Barudak posted:

Well, seems weird to make Erotic Role Play systems only for Trekkies but theres probably demand.

The ones with pictures sell better because their girlfriends can follow along also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Well, seems weird to make Erotic Role Play systems only for Trekkies but theres probably demand.

It includes official guidelines and standardised responses for portraying an accurate Vulcan/Klingon/Andorian etc. in the bedroom. Because accuracy to the source material is an important part of the kink.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Atticus_1354 posted:

The ones with pictures sell better because their girlfriends can follow along also.

loving hell, that's a brutal cut. :stonklol:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Escape From Noise posted:

Yeah but it effects my reputation as a brewer and is like less than 30 minutes of actual work. Most of it is just sitting around waiting for the caustic to do it's thing.

Nah, if somebody is like "drat this beer tastes like poo poo" you are immediately able to point out the problem and the fuckhead who's causing it

Get a paper trail of that person being like "abloobloo it's too much work" and there you go

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

Nah, if somebody is like "drat this beer tastes like poo poo" you are immediately able to point out the problem and the fuckhead who's causing it

It's not like I can run around the taproom telling everyone it's not my fault.

I brought it up with the boss in text and called him about it when I brought it up to him. The guy at least cleaned the one tap with diacetyl. I realized that was what happened when a guy who runs several beer bars in Kyoto dropped by a few days ago and he brought it up. I initially thought it was an issue on my end. So that's cool. Like I can clean it on days were I don't really have anything going on but also the dipshit needs to loving tell me and not just put it off for several months and just assume I'll jump in and take care of it. Even if I think his whining is dumb, I'd rather just come in on one of my workdays were I have very little work to do and put in the roughly 30 minutes of work that helps guarantee that my beer doesn't at least taste like absolute poo poo.

Edit: He did throw a bucket of water on the floor to clean up the stake beer and reorganized things in the cold room before I left and I think was maybe wiping up the mold when I was leaving. I didn't like doing it but maybe shaming him in front of the boss worked.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 14, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Anybody else work in a place that has a "points" system designed to gently caress with you? It seems to be increasingly common and it's dumb as poo poo. And like most things employers do, it's entirely punitive.

Way it works is like if you come back like 5 minutes late from a break, get stuck in traffic and are 25 minutes late, have car trouble and miss half a day, need to leave early because your kid got sick or a pipe burst in your house, fall ill and need to end your shift to go rest or what have you, you get "points" on your rap sheet that they use to diminish your overall performance review over time. Doesn't matter if you're pretty much an exemplary employee most of the time, work fast and rarely make mistakes. It's all "nope. Says here you couldn't get past that 10 car pile up on I-95, got nauseous and had to leave last thursday and spent too much time on the phone twice during break talking to the doctor or your bank".

Note, there is never a points system for positive things like staying late, coming in early, passing qualification tests, finishing work early, taking initiative to learn stuff or creatively solving problems. It's a pretty demoralizing way of doing poo poo and results in the Office Space thing where a person works just hard enough not to get fired.

It's similar to how I used to attempt new software methods, scripts, plug ins and shortcuts to get print work done faster which meant occasionally something would backfire but, more often, the end result was me getting more work done and being more efficient. But we all got "graded" by how many gently caress ups we had. Meaning, the slow guy next to me who cherry picked jobs from the stack was seen as "better" than me because he made fewer mistakes.

Well, no poo poo.

He finished 5 jobs and chose ones that were easier. I did 10 or 15 and worked on them in order regardless of difficulty. I did two 48 page magazines and he did six business cards so "the system" says he did three times as much as work as me.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

gently caress that sounds miserable.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The guy at least cleaned the one tap with diacetyl.

:wtc: You should offer to clean his knives with poo poo.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

BiggerBoat posted:

real, actual hell

:wtc:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

McGavin posted:

:wtc: You should offer to clean his knives with poo poo.

This isn't the chef, this is the restaurant manager. He's a nice enough guy but can be thicker than pig poo poo sometimes. I'm willing to help but I don't really work behind the bar so keeping track of the cleaning schedule for the taps isn't my job. That's the part that pisses me off.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

This isn't the chef, this is the restaurant manager. He's a nice enough guy but can be thicker than pig poo poo sometimes. I'm willing to help but I don't really work behind the bar so keeping track of the cleaning schedule for the taps isn't my job. That's the part that pisses me off.

Hide the chef’s knives and tell him that the restaurant manager borrowed them.

Two birds, one stone.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Murder the bar manager with the chef's knives. You get two new coworkers and while the cops are doing their thing you have time to clean the lines. Not sure if that's legal in Japan tho?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

goatface posted:

Teams, for all your work streamlining and collaboration needs.

Cool, can I have power automate so I can automatically generate and archive some pages of wayward information that can then be shared with the team?

No.

Weird, the sub is free for us. We got thousands of licenses available.

BrideOfUglycat posted:

I absolutely hate Amazon's new video interface. They have actually made it MORE difficult to find the shows we were watching to begin with.

Lol you scroll on some rows, and the selection takes up the WHOLE screen. Just absolute dogshit design.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's free, it's listed in my microsoft account subscriptions, I'm just not allowed to install it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

goatface posted:

It's free, it's listed in my microsoft account subscriptions, I'm just not allowed to install it.

You're supposed to be working not playing minesweeper

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i hear this used to be a pretty common thing but the sales floor at my work just added two lights to every cube, a red one and a green one. the sales manager has a button in his office to light up the lights green or red- red means you're not allowed to speak to co workers as you're supposed to be cold calling and green means you're allowed to have personal conversations.

i would have quit on the spot when i saw them installing those. christ, what a bunch of assholes, lol

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yeah my former job did this for a while, but the lights were just USB devices that plugged into your laptop and mirrored Teams status. I never used mine because the cable was broken.

A coworker went all out years before that and built himself a big alarm light (think fire alarm) setup that he'd flip the switch for whenever he was on a call.
I think it's somewhere in my basement now.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

boar guy posted:

i hear this used to be a pretty common thing but the sales floor at my work just added two lights to every cube, a red one and a green one. the sales manager has a button in his office to light up the lights green or red- red means you're not allowed to speak to co workers as you're supposed to be cold calling and green means you're allowed to have personal conversations.

i would have quit on the spot when i saw them installing those. christ, what a bunch of assholes, lol

Holy poo poo no.

The trick is only the red light works and it's always on

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That sounds like some absolute bullshit.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I am picturing every cube having one of these
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_light

old bean factory fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 14, 2022

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i have a pretty sweet gig that lets me work from home and earn a goodish salary and i probably "work" about 90 minutes a day

i told them in my interview 'i will never work in an office again'. despite this i have visited the campus 12 times in the 16 months i have worked there. they are getting ready to tell me in October that i have to come in to the office 1x a month (it's 2.5 hours away) and i'm prepared to tell them to pound sand, if it's an ultimatum, simply because the CEO is such a giant jackass and i have no inability to disguise my contempt for stupidity

i'm redoing a website in 6 weeks that would have cost them my yearly salary to have an outside firm do, and it would have taken a year. lotsa luck finding someone else, y'all :)

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

old bean factory posted:

I am picturing every cube having one of these
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_light

That's pretty much what ours looked like, just smaller

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
My company really needs to break up the with the Pilipino call center we hired back in 2020, they are not doing a good job supporting our product. I handle escalation for our company and I am getting a lot of cases that amount, how came you can solve my problem in 10 minutes but the guy I first talked to spent an hour and could not solve the problem. I suspect the that our current VP of customer support pitched themselves as being able to keep our North American teams to just the specialized team and out source the general. Its blowing up in our faces wait times are hire than ever, customer satisfaction survey are horrible and from what I hear that call center in the Philippines is gently caress meat grinder. THe company finally broke down hired more agent in North America. Our busy season is q4 and q1; its going to be bad this year.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

side_burned posted:

My company really needs to break up the with the Pilipino call center we hired back in 2020, they are not doing a good job supporting our product. I handle escalation for our company and I am getting a lot of cases that amount, how came you can solve my problem in 10 minutes but the guy I first talked to spent an hour and could not solve the problem. I suspect the that our current VP of customer support pitched themselves as being able to keep our North American teams to just the specialized team and out source the general. Its blowing up in our faces wait times are hire than ever, customer satisfaction survey are horrible and from what I hear that call center in the Philippines is gently caress meat grinder. THe company finally broke down hired more agent in North America. Our busy season is q4 and q1; its going to be bad this year.

It's amazing these call centers are still going in the Philippines. They are always terrible quality because they don't pay well enough to keep and retain good people. Verizon is still sending their first level calls on data circuits to their call center there and even though they operate it themselves the quality is still horrible with untrained people and even good trained people who don't have sufficient access/authority to actually do anything. It's just a bunch of appeasement engineers with scripts.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

:black101: hell yeah, I went into the office at the job I've been at for a year exactly once. It's an open plan layout without even half cubicle dividers (a genuine impetus for me getting diagnosed with ADHD was the horrible time I have functioning in those environments) and at one point in the day I got up to get a drink and came back to find someone didn't realize my spot was in use and grabbed my chair to roll over and have a chat with someone.

Anyway, we're finally done with our terrible client at the end of this month but they're really trying to make every day felt. Learned Monday that something they previously wanted done by the end of the month and then subsequently the 21st is actually now something they want on Wednesday so everyone had to switch over to that (spoilers: they're not getting it today), also their version control makes me want to pull my own teeth out. A good 75% of the reason I'm looking for a new job is being staffed on this client all year, it's genuinely exacerbated a depressive episode I've been going through, also apparently at least one prior engineer who was stuck with them for a minute just quit without something else lined up.

I've had coworkers buy me beers because I was staffed with them, though, so it balances out I guess 🤷🏾

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

boar guy posted:

i told them in my interview 'i will never work in an office again'. despite this i have visited the campus 12 times in the 16 months i have worked there. they are getting ready to tell me in October that i have to come in to the office 1x a month (it's 2.5 hours away) and i'm prepared to tell them to pound sand, if it's an ultimatum, simply because the CEO is such a giant jackass and i have no inability to disguise my contempt for stupidity

i'm redoing a website in 6 weeks that would have cost them my yearly salary to have an outside firm do, and it would have taken a year. lotsa luck finding someone else, y'all :)

They are either 100% bluffing or they are willing to throw away their valuable workforce over 8 hours per month spent in a cube. Either way, best to find out right now if they are worth sticking around for.

I signed the competing offer I had in-hand and left my last job the same day the admin scolded us over zoom for wanting to keep WFH, "the office is safer than the grocery store!!!". Left for a 100% WFH job, I hear the campus is currently having a covid outbreak. Literally curing covid and removing it from the planet is only a necessary, no where near sufficient, condition for me to ever work in an office again if I have literally any other option.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Serious_Cyclone posted:

They are either 100% bluffing or they are willing to throw away their valuable workforce over 8 hours per month spent in a cube. Either way, best to find out right now if they are worth sticking around for.

i also think they are bluffing but it's absolutely not worth sticking around for. i already told my direct supervisor- one of the smartest and best people i've ever met- that i'd leave if they give me an ultimatum, and she told me she respects that, lol

when i go to the office it looks like this:

stress about it for 3 days prior and barely sleep the night before

up at 5 AM to be on the road by 5:15 for a 730 AM allhands

allhands lasts 10 minutes

adjourn to a conference room with a laptop with a 15 inch screen instead of what is essentially a perfectly tailored, very overpowered minority-report style setup i have at home

various people come by to crack jokes about how im never in the office, no productive work of any type is done unless maybe there's a meeting

lunch with the 82 year old mother of the CEO, a three hour affair where we mostly bitch about the sales staff

back on the road by 2 o clock for a 3 hour drive home

loving. exhausting. me going to that office 1x a month 'because you lose something when you're not here' is a 5% loss of productivity because every visit goes like that

boar guy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 14, 2022

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

boar guy posted:

i also think they are bluffing but it's absolutely not worth sticking around for. i already told my direct supervisor- one of the smartest and best people i've ever met- that i'd leave if they give me an ultimatum, and she told me she respects that, lol

That's probably an even better way to handle it, don't even let them bring it up without consequences. Gotta have meetings pivot from "everyone on zoom doing WFH" to "everyone on zoom with maybe 3-5 people not doing WFH on a rotating basis", because those workplace interactions with people you aren't interacting with because everyone is only coming in 1 day per month are key to our competitive edge and sense of culture.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Anybody else work in a place that has a "points" system
My last job had this and it was enforced 100% selectively. I bet you there are plenty of people who skate on it at every one of those places, too.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Motronic posted:

It's amazing these call centers are still going in the Philippines. They are always terrible quality because they don't pay well enough to keep and retain good people. Verizon is still sending their first level calls on data circuits to their call center there and even though they operate it themselves the quality is still horrible with untrained people and even good trained people who don't have sufficient access/authority to actually do anything. It's just a bunch of appeasement engineers with scripts.

As much as I don't like twitter it is useful for communicating with companies for support issues.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I am a union rep in a government job.

The HR director is one of my members, at the highest grade covered by collective bargaining.

Every year, this absolute lunatic busts a gut negotiating himself a lower payrise.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Filboid Studge posted:

The HR director is one of my members, at the highest grade covered by collective bargaining.

Every year, this absolute lunatic busts a gut negotiating himself a lower payrise.
I have no real convictions which means I will never be half as happy as this guy arguing with himself over the principle of the matter and winning.

Also will never be half as angry so, you know, I still make out.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Filboid Studge posted:

Is this ethics? HR? wtf

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The company announced an inventory reduction plan for next year. Basically everyone in our production facilities are freaking out about it and doing everything they can to subvert it now, usually by moving up orders from next year to this year even if there is no demand. It's meant to be a way to avoid any sort of workforce reduction by keeping machines busy and wrenches turning. The problem is that one of our facilities is trying to gaslight our entire company by moving dates on every part in as hard as they can and then denying it's happening. I had five parts from one vendor moved from 2023 into next month. The shortest lead time part is still 15 weeks and they just insist that nothing changed.

They are also really behind our metrics reporting system and don't realize we can straight on see when moves like that happen. Even when I show them the changes they deny anything is different.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dr. Faustus posted:

My last job had this and it was enforced 100% selectively. I bet you there are plenty of people who skate on it at every one of those places, too.

I dunno. For all I know I might be one of them and they think I kick rear end but I'm not late a lot or miss days (so far).

Only been at the job 3 months now so I have no idea. But this is like the 4th place I've worked at in the last 5 years or so that does this "points" bullshit instead of treating us like adults. Could be it's a Florida thing since this is one of those "At WIll Employment" states where the legislation is titled the exact opposite of what it does and also pretty much any company here can do whatever the gently caress they want.

But gently caress if I'm gonna leave my house an hour ahead of time just in case a drawbridge gets stuck or they shut down the highway because of a wreck then sit in my car for 45 minutes waiting to clock in when everything goes fine.

ALso yeah the print shop fired me during the COVD downsize for "making too many mistakes". Most of them weren't my fault and were the result of me following directions on the work order to the letter but I guess I was supposed to know when those write ups were wrong or something. And, yeah, well...when I do 20 jobs, gently caress up two and some other guy does 5 and screws up one, I make more mistakes despite the higher batting average.

A dude who bats 400 times in a year will strike out more than the guy that only bats 100 times.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 14, 2022

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
A problem with those points systems is, implemented incorrectly, they can bind managers to poor decisions (like the example given, disciplining or firing an overall productive worker).

Their intended purpose is either to straight reduce headcount, or to make bad managers more able to do what they need to do. They work very well at the former, but for the latter it seems like the time might be better spent retraining or rehiring managers.

Also it's middle school bullshit lol.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Atopian posted:

A problem with those points systems is, implemented incorrectly, they can bind managers to poor decisions (like the example given, disciplining or firing an overall productive worker).

Their intended purpose is either to straight reduce headcount, or to make bad managers more able to do what they need to do. They work very well at the former, but for the latter it seems like the time might be better spent retraining or rehiring managers.

Also it's middle school bullshit lol.

I have never encountered a point system like that, sounds awful. I imagine the logic it comes from is that everyone has had a coworker that seems to have more “emergencies” and “bad luck” than everyone else combined and so the generic solution to this is to track it like you do with schoolchildren and see who happens to have more grandmas dying than everyone else.

The actual solution is to just reprimand and or directly fire the dead weight specifically rather than a general policy that hurts everyone. I never did quite understand why the former never seems to be an option it’s like drat I live in an at will state and yet I hear my boss complaining about a dude flagrantly lying on his time card, just fire him it’s that easy! Or isn’t it I dunno.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

BiggerBoat posted:

Anybody else work in a place that has a "points" system designed to gently caress with you?

I worked for an insurance company that did this.

You started off with 50 points. For pretty much your entire career.

Being more than 3 minutes late coming in or back from break cost 1.5 points, all the way up to 10 points for calling out on a Monday, Friday, weekend or holiday.

If you lost points, you could get back 2 points per month for having perfect attendance. But you could never get above 50 points. Also, while your negative points rolled off after a year SO DID THE POSITIVE ONES YOU GOT BACK FOR PERFECT ATTENDANCE.

It loving blew. And, you know, it didn't actually apply to everyone...I saw people sob to the director and get their unplanned absences approved, but it honestly depended on how much they liked you that day.

I got a new job on a Monday. I went out and did karaoke that night, got home at 3AM. I woke up the next morning and called in sick. Then I went into work on Wednesday, turned in my notice, and got handed a write up for negative reliability points.

Even thinking about it 11 years later makes me sick. We bought a new house, shopped for insurance, and that company came back as the best rate.

I decided the thought of giving Safeco a couple hundred bucks a month made me sick, and we decided to spend $400 more a year going with someone else instead.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

blackmet posted:

It loving blew. And, you know, it didn't actually apply to everyone...I saw people sob to the director and get their unplanned absences approved, but it honestly depended on how much they liked you that day.

If its one thing I learned at my first job performance and compliance with policy means nothing absolutely nothing so long as your manger likes you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

blackmet posted:

Then I went into work on Wednesday, turned in my notice, and got handed a write up for negative reliability points.

Lol at this unbelievable pettiness.