Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I feel so sorry for anyone who did FFIX low level runs before the PC version came out. Holy poo poo, how did I forget the Bandersnatches. The PC autosave + being able to just let Beatrix kill poo poo saved my rear end. If not for this, if I had to reload and do all of that over and over again, I would absolutely have just given up on this whole LLG thing. Even with these benefits, I'm thinking I need a break.

If I ever try a low level gimmick again, it won't be for this game, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I was a Squall desperately wishing to get a chance to be a Rinoa.

Did you ever get a kickass dog?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Barudak posted:

Did you ever get a kickass dog?

If yes, did you ever launch the dog from your wrist?

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n
whens 12R?

:cope:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

I went to download the Harvestella demo and I found out that a loving third Voice of Cards got stealth released. Yoko Taro is really cranking those things out huh?

Which is great, because the first two owned. I hope to one day own a Switch again and play the third one.

The third one contains a hilariously grim segment where a rich man is told that if he keeps making a profit off dangerous stuff his children will die and his response is 'well yes but money now?'

And that is it. No moral. Rich rear end in a top hat is willing to murder his own child by rendering the land uninhabitable.

Most realistic game ever.

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n
All jokes aside I'm actually insanely hyped for Theatrythym on Switch. First time I got to play it was about a year and a half back at Round One and it's probably my favorite rythym game of all time. Sadly there won't be cool ORB BASED GAMEPLAY like the arcade unit but the visuals are a lot of fun and the wealth of music is simply insane. I wonder how big the digital download will be, almost 400 songs vanilla is no joke...

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Does the 3rd Yoko Taro card game have any QoL stuff compared to the first two?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

psn preorder is up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

80 dollars for the deluxe edition!? gently caress, they know I'm a moron who will eat that poo poo up.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

psn preorder is up

Sighing while I pull out a hundo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If you play it for 4 months (one extra month for each season) that's just 25 USD a month

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Don't buy season pass until you know they didn't gently caress it up

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Speaking of localizations, FFV PR sprinkles in stupider and stupider lines as you go. It’s such a dumb game. The MC is literally named Butt. There are three female character co-leads and none of them have any romantic chemistry with Butt, seemingly due to his childlike intellect. The penultimate evil force is named, uh, X DEATH. Lots of stupidity abounds throughout the game but it reached a crescendo in the confrontation between X DEATH and a wise turtle npc. Won’t quote the whole thing here. I think it’s worth experiencing spontaneously in context, but the “tasty diversions” line finally got me.

FFXII has summons based on the first six FF final bosses, and translates ExDeath as Exodus, which imho is both a plausible translation and absolutely should have become the official translation.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

FFXII has summons based on the first six FF final bosses, and translates ExDeath as Exodus, which imho is both a plausible translation and absolutely should have become the official translation.

Exodus is the mistranslation though. It's meant to be Exdeath.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Srice posted:

:emptyquote:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Srice posted:

i had been thinking about pulling the 3ds out and buying up all the dlc I didn't have to get everything before the estore shuts down so really buying this SAVES me money!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Agents are GO! posted:

Yeah, they probably should have (and Butz should be "Boots") but by now I don't think there's any point to it. The mistranslation aside, there's no denying that the game where a turtle and an animated tree have a DBZ fight is kind of goofy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Boots Cracktackle

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Procrastine posted:

Exodus is the mistranslation though. It's meant to be Exdeath.

That wasn't my point.

• Exodus sounds cooler.
  • Exodus is a plausible, if not entirely consistent, romanization of Ekusudesu. (Certainly no worse than Exodes.)

It wouldn't be the first time Square changed names for western release. Just ask Edward/Gilbert, Terra/Tina, Sabin/Mashe, or Magus/Jacky. Seriously, CT has a ton of them.

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, they probably should have (and Butz should be "Boots") but by now I don't think there's any point to it. The mistranslation aside, there's no denying that the game where a turtle and an animated tree have a DBZ fight is kind of goofy.

Never said it wasn't, but it's goofy in the best way. I'm still mad it took so long to get a US release, though.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 14, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
compeltely wrong that exodus sounds cooler than ExDeath

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Exodus sounds cooler.

:wrong:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Exodus is an appropriate translation for the overall vibe of Ivalice that tries to be "respectable" or whatever but Exdeath is his real name

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

compeltely wrong that exodus sounds cooler than ExDeath

ExDeath sounds like a captain planet villain. Exodus sounds like a mage who wants to end the world.

So yeah, ExDeath probably fits more with the feel of FF5.

Harrow posted:

Exodus is an appropriate translation for the overall vibe of Ivalice that tries to be "respectable" or whatever but Exdeath is his real name

Do you rename Terra to Tina when you play FF6?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Exdeath is very 90s edgy but i do love it, exodus is a bible book, boring

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Agents are GO! posted:

Which one is Kefka supposed to be?

Chaos (FF1)
Mateus (FF2)
Famfrit, The Darkening Cloud (FF3)
Zeromus (FF4)
Exodus (FF5)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Exodus sounds like the subtitle of an assassins creed game which is the least cool thing possible

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

jokes posted:

Which one is Kefka supposed to be? Ultima?

Chaos (FF1)
Mateus (FF2)
Famfrit, The Darkening Cloud (FF3)
Zeromus (FF4)
Exodus (FF5)

It might have been the first five, I could be wrong on that point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Exodus, OBLITERATE

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Exodus sounds more dignified as a villain name, that's a decent name to give an enigmatic monster like the Esper in XII, or possibly a more human villain with an elaborate philosophical reason why his plan that looks an awful lot like genocide is actually for the greater good.

But we're talking about the villain of FFV, whose backstory is 'a tree got so full of evil souls that it became sentient and evil itself', who has an anime fight with a turtle while in chibi overworld sprites, in a game that includes such things as the Chicken Knife, a sidequest to ride around the world on a chocobo just to gently caress with the person who told you to do it, and a grand journey to play every piano in the land until you no longer suck at it.

So he's named Exdeath, and is better for it. Some stories are better off told with tongue firmly in cheek.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lmao at people who call her Aerith trying to pretend his name is ex death

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"it sounds cooler" is and has always been a valid localization preference choice

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s X-Death, as evidenced by him being sealed in a giant X on the world map.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

No, we know the origin of the name. It is basically supposed to mean 'one who exceeds death' as a portmanteau. Exodus is written differently

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

his name is Exdeath and not Exodus for the same reason her name is Aerith and not Aeris actually

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Clearly his name is Deuteronomy, you weebs

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

his name is X-Jeff

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Which one is it? Exs or Odes?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Asterite34 posted:

Clearly his name is Deuteronomy, you weebs

SE is keeping Deuteronomy in the pocket until 5-2.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"it sounds cooler" is and has always been a valid localization preference choice

:emptyquote:0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Can we compromise on Exodeath, which foregrounds the pun?