Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Dioko loving sucks. What a pile of poo poo. Worst iem in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ive been moding the S12 for people. They are worth near 1000 bux. *HYPE*.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Famethrowa posted:

anyone got recommendations on replacement pads, in this case for HD579? original foams is starting to fall apart and a nice leather might be nice. I see some on Amazon but I'm very skeptical.
try Dekoni Audio

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Femur posted:

Which is the correct timeless planar on Amazon? The unique or linsoul one?

I've bought from Linsoul several times over the past years and they're pretty reliable. Never heard of the other one.

To clarify I've bought direct from Linsoul dot com, not Amazon.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm tempted to finally bite it and get the 650 for personal use since it has good mid bass and the 599 sounded impressive but I'm a bit more used to neutral headphones and by all accounts it's muddied compared to the 650. I just wish I had more choices in Brazil, especially wrt amps, because buying those is a nightmare.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Russian Bear posted:

Wow the Sundara's are down to $300. Time to buy (from an easy to return to place).
wtf this is a deal, right? i'm selling my fragile focals and this might be a fun replacement. ive never owned planars before and the sundara is really well regarded from what i remember.

veni veni veni posted:

I briefly mentioned this earlier but is it normal for the XM4 earpads to get all wrinkled after like, one use? I've had mine for less than 2 weeks it's silly, but kind of annoys me.
just looked at my GF's XM3s and hers are a bit wrinkly but nowhere near as much as that photo. it would have to get a LOT worse to impact sound quality, comfort, or noise cancelling performance tho, right?

Passburger
May 4, 2013

TenementFunster posted:

wtf this is a deal, right? i'm selling my fragile focals and this might be a fun replacement. ive never owned planars before and the sundara is really well regarded from what i remember.

The sound is great but the quality on the plastic bits isn't.

The plastic bits holding the strap on mine cracked after a year of use, luckily the guy on customer service was willing to send me spare parts. I only wish he had declared it properly so I wouldn't have to pay stupid high import-taxes on silly pieces of plastic.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Passburger posted:

The sound is great but the quality on the plastic bits isn't.

The plastic bits holding the strap on mine cracked after a year of use, luckily the guy on customer service was willing to send me spare parts. I only wish he had declared it properly so I wouldn't have to pay stupid high import-taxes on silly pieces of plastic.
a year? hell, that's 4 times longer than my Focals lasted before the headband broke (the first time) and also 6 times longer than they lasted (the second time!)

Passburger
May 4, 2013

TenementFunster posted:

a year? hell, that's 4 times longer than my Focals lasted before the headband broke (the first time) and also 6 times longer than they lasted (the second time!)

Just be prepared to get creative and add some padding to that headband if it happens to you.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I’ve never tried an IEM, is there an hd6xx equivalent recommendation in the IEM world?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Russian Bear posted:

I’ve never tried an IEM, is there an hd6xx equivalent recommendation in the IEM world?

Etymotic ER2XR, but you gotta be cool with the Very Deep Insertion.

Otherwise, I'd look at (in order of price)

salnotes zero,

the best way to check out the whole IEM craze currently on the market, a well built, good sounding IEM with a decent cable for $20.

dunu titan S,

good bass control, a little under harman level but not lacking, lots of upper midrange energy and much better treble tuning than the aria. basically a better aria.

letshouer s12,

a v-shaped planar that will blow your mind a bit. planar IEMs are the new hotness for a reason. this one has more treble energy than the Timeless, and a more conventional shell.

moondrop kato,

just a great tuning that's been kicking around the IEM world for many years, originally in the form of the tanchjim oxygen. apparently the Olina can do the same thing for less if you get the Tanya filters...

7h timeless,

my favorite IEM for the past year or so, just a brilliant tuning with crazy technical performance. shape is weird, but I find them super comfy and they don't stand out too much.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just my quick notes on those iems, ER2XR amazing, fit sucks. Zero, amazing, excellent value and great iem. S12, stock too V shaped, I have been modding these for people which requires a lot of work, selling them. Titan S, boring. Kato, sucks. Timeless good but treble is wrong.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So far noise cancelling has been amazing for me. I'm liking these Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones a lot. no complaints so far.

well that's not true. sometimes the capacitive buttons are too sensitive and I end the phone call putting my hands behind my head.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

just looked at my GF's XM3s and hers are a bit wrinkly but nowhere near as much as that photo. it would have to get a LOT worse to impact sound quality, comfort, or noise cancelling performance tho, right?

Oh yeah, it's totally cosmetic. It doesn't actually affect anything important I just don't like how it looks.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

My Xm4's that I got a few weeks ago look exactly the same as yours. Really like them though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah in general they are great. I love them. So comfortable, such good sound, such good noise cancelling, tasteful looking. Agreed with greenbuckaneer about the capacitive button functionality though. I can never get the volume control to work right.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I briefly mentioned this earlier but is it normal for the XM4 earpads to get all wrinkled after like, one use? I've had mine for less than 2 weeks it's silly, but kind of annoys me.

out of the box they looked like this.

then after literally one use, they permananty (not mine, but very close to how mine look) started look like this and never bounce back.

I only ask because the demo unit at target, which I am sure have seen much more use and abuse still looked brand new and wrinkle free. I'm wondering if I am just being silly/should get over it, or if it's maybe worth calling Sony and seeing if they will send me free replacement pads. I dunno, like I said in my last post it's a stupid gripe and doesn't really affect anything, but after paying that much for headphones, and the form factor being at least a little bit of a selling point it just sort of annoys me.

I got mine used and they looked like this from the get go (xm4)

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

What's my best option for non-penetrating workout headphones? Earbuds, over-the-ear or on-the-ear. I've had a scare with ear infection/ear canal irritation so I need to lay off from IEMs at least from a while. Yes, I've cleaned them with anti-bacterial solution and cleaned them prior with water fairly regularly but I can't be taking risks anymore for a while. For reference I was using Jabra Elite 75t. Sound quality isn't super important, I use them mostly for podcasts and... walking videos, so *some* spatial performance wouldn't be bad. Relatively secure fit would be nice. Preferably sub 100$/€, absolute maximum around 150€. I'm a non-Apple user so AirPods 3 would probably be a waste of money. Some more unknown brands might be unavailable domestically. Jabras, Soundcore, soundpeats seem to be widely available though.

I've considered briefly:
SoundPEATS TrueAir 2/3?
Adidas RPT-01 (the only on-the-ear/over-the-ear that I could find that seems reasonable for sweating, if not comfortable, and might not have a secure fit in all situations)
Galaxy Buds Live
Some bone conduction headphones but they look silly/I imagine audio performance isn't to my liking.

If I go through Yoga videos which I'd rather do with with earphones rather than speakers over-the-ear or on-the-ear may become problematic, but it's not a must.

More sound isolation than not would be nice but not expected in this class of products.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you want isolation but non-penetrating then over ear is probably your best bet.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I'd be interested to know what everyone uses their fancy headphones and iems for. A lot of you spend crazy money on this stuff, but I assume you're not all successful pro musicians with cash to burn?!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Perfect Element posted:

I'd be interested to know what everyone uses their fancy headphones and iems for. A lot of you spend crazy money on this stuff, but I assume you're not all successful pro musicians with cash to burn?!

I don't think pro musicians need extremely fancy headphones, most of the time I see them using mid range neutral headphones.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Headphones that are useful for pro musicians and headphones that sound really great for listening to stuff are two wholly separate markets with very different goals. Not that there isn't occasional overlap, but it's occasional.

Personally, I use fancy headphones and iems to play games, listen to music and watch movies with. I'm wondering if you expected a different answer?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

To actually answer I started being into headphones when a shitload many years ago I had a Rogue in WoW and sold the account for 700 dollars but at the time there was no way to get it into Brazil. I started looking at things that I could sell for and import and I found out that used headphones sold for more here due to our insane markups than it cost to buy them. So I could buy the thing, use it even, and still sell for a profit, especially because there's usually at most only one of each if they're not officially sold here, a fact that has been held for the last 13 years and probably longer.

So I bought some expensive headphones and it sort of spoiled me because in comparison to regular stuff, the poo poo we had available sounded like pure noise and I never noticed. Also, since then, the standard for what is the MVP headphone has greatly changed, stock smartphone earbuds nowadays sound decent but back then they sounded like utter crap.

I sold it and kept buying and reselling headphones for a small profit before they were used enough to lose their value. I never have more than one pair at a time but over the decade I managed to hear a bunch of headphones and they offer a nice experience since the sound quality scales higher in them than with soundspeakers. It's for the same reason someone would buy a better TV or monitor.

Recently I ended up buying a pair for my gf of the HD 599 and it blew her loving mind in comparison with her stock earbuds, it was magical to see her reaction since she loves audio dramas and immersive audio stuff/podcasts and the sennheisers have some good soundstage that give you the feeling of distance from the sound that she never even thought possible, she said it was the best gift she's ever had. But like she had a natural affinity to audio and lovely stock earbuds so it was a fitting gift, whereas if I gave the same headphones to some other partners I had I'm sure they wouldn't care less.

As for me I'm still in my loop of testing something then reselling and it's fun to experience different sound signatures, currently with an AKG-371 which is considerably cheaper than the headphones I started with but they work just fine. I mostly use them for listening to music, movies, I mean, the usual.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Headphones that are useful for pro musicians and headphones that sound really great for listening to stuff are two wholly separate markets with very different goals. Not that there isn't occasional overlap, but it's occasional.

Personally, I use fancy headphones and iems to play games, listen to music and watch movies with. I'm wondering if you expected a different answer?

And yeah, this. They're not in the same category. One of my best friends is a musician and audio editor and works in a studio and she is completely oblivious to some of the consumer headphone brands, the only overlap we have wrt equipment we've heard are AKG and Beyerdynamic.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 15, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I listen to music.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

I’m a software developer who works remotely. I wear my headphones for almost 8 hours a day, just from that. I spent too much money on my cans, but they stay comfortable both physically and audibly for hours on end regardless of whether I’m in meetings or listening to music while I work.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I bought hd555 back in the day ($120?) and loved them, super comfy but the plastic shell started to come apart.

Eventually a coworker gave me his dt990s from the 90s

Then I bought these for $210

Not exactly rolling in dough... Oh and the steelseries arctis 7 wireless, for gaming. Those are comfortable too

I can't do in-ear because it's either painful or they fall out easily. I have some cheap in ear but I can only wear them for 30m at a time or my ear Canal is in pain

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I just use them to listen to music and play games.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I can't do in-ear because it's either painful or they fall out easily. I have some cheap in ear but I can only wear them for 30m at a time or my ear Canal is in pain

this is almost a universal experience with IEMs until you find the right tip.

if you want to get into them, try spinfits, final audio and moondrop spring tips if you can, one of them will almost certainly solve your problem. I know it's expensive, but once you find "your tips" you can stop looking.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I guess my question comes from a position of complete amateurism. Like, I just have moved onto my new xm4s after retiring my xm3s cos they sound awesome, and when I googled 'best headphones' they seemed to top a lot of lists. However, they cost £200 and some of you guys are spending like ten times that so I guess I assumed that you would be using them for different stuff than I do.

I also thought that iems were mostly used for on-stage stuff, rather than gaming or whatever.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do people itt spend turbo audiophile amounts of money though? This thread is extremely tame, I think you can spend way more than the people itt in a regular home theatre.

I can buy an hd800s but that seems overkill for my needs and tastes and it would cost 1/10th of a high end home theatre setup here. I own 100 USD headphones and most discussion here seems to revolve btw 50 and 500 usd, with the occasional blon or koss portapro mention.

The ridicule audiophile thread is where insane poo poo happens

Elentor fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 15, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah people in here are spending hundreds at most, no-one in here is spending 4 figures.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

the threat of becoming fodder for the mock thread is real

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

njsykora posted:

Yeah people in here are spending hundreds at most, no-one in here is spending 4 figures.

I mean, I have (and I know other posters here have) a set of Focal Clears, which are in the low 4 figures. But like I said earlier, they’re basically work equipment for me and were also a combo birthday/new-job-pays-way-more present to myself a few years ago, and I’ll admit they’re definitely past the sweet spot on the price/performance curve.

I guess my question comes from a position of complete amateurism. Like, I just have moved onto my new xm4s after retiring my xm3s cos they sound awesome, and when I googled 'best headphones' they seemed to top a lot of lists. However, they cost £200 and some of you guys are spending like ten times that so I guess I assumed that you would be using them for different stuff than I do.

I also thought that iems were mostly used for on-stage stuff, rather than gaming or whatever.

You can definitely spend as much money as you have on audio equipment, but the returns on more money spent get smaller the more you spend. Going from ~$20 to ~$200 gets you MUCH better headphones, going from ~$200 to ~$2,000 gets you noticeably better headphones but far from the same absolute difference in quality as $20->$200. This is largely the same with many kinds of hobby gear; the same pattern holds true for poo poo like mechanical keyboards, musical instruments, D&D dice, fountain pens, etc. There’s often a sort of “break point” where the product gets to be about as good as the average person is going to notice and the price is relatively affordable - the XM4s are right about there, that’s typically what, say, The Wirecutter or similar review outlets go for - and above that stuff is aimed at hobbyists that are particular about small details and are willing to spend a bit/a lot more.

IEMs are used on stage, but they’re also just used as normal headphones. What might be confusing you is that I’ve only every heard audiophile types or music pros refer to them as “IEMs”, everyone else just calls them “earbuds” (which I think isn’t wrong, but IEM is more specific in referring to cans that have a tip that goes into your ear canal, rather than sitting outside of it like OG AirPods which “earbuds” also includes).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Elentor posted:

Do people itt spend turbo audiophile amounts of money though? This thread is extremely tame, I think you can spend way more than the people itt in a regular home theatre.

I can buy an hd800s but that seems overkill for my needs and tastes and it would cost 1/10th of a high end home theatre setup here. I own 100 USD headphones and most discussion here seems to revolve btw 50 and 500 usd, with the occasional blon or loss portapro mention.

The ridicule diophile thread is where insane poo poo happens

Yeah the main pair being discussed on this page is $350 MSRP and everyone seems to have gotten them on sale or refurbished. It's much higher than the average pair of headphones, but as someone who doesn't want surround sound in my house due to not wanting to bother my roommate, I figure it's my way to have great sound without compromise at a similar price.

I'm far from an audiophile. I base my purchases more on features and QOL stuff. I'm sure a lot of them would scoff at XM4s because they are wireless (to me wireless is an absolute must) even though they sound amazing.

I actually managed to snag a pair of HD650s for $8(!) at one point and realized quickly I had absolutely no use for them. They did sound good but I am not the type of person who want to run an amp to power my headphones and have tangles of wires to everything I'm using. Espcially since most of the time I'm listening to streaming music. I feel like those kinds of headphones are for a very specific niche that is not me at all.

The XM4s are basically the perfect headphones I've always wanted as a normal person who just likes using headphones (although I hate that they don't natively connect to PS5. Really wish they had optional dongle based functionality)

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
gently caress it, use your money to buy nice headphones, you deserve good audio. An OLED TV, too, while we're at it. Both still end up cheaper than the newest iPhone. As long as you're not spending cash on cable holders or gold-plated toslink connectors, don't worry, you're not an audiophile, it's okay.

My crazy money HD800 are twelve years old and remain the single best purchase I've made. A decade of never being the bottleneck but always delivering some of the highest quality audio available, from Pirates of the Caribbean bootleg DVDs all the way up to Coldplay x BTS 96/24 vinyl rips.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've come to be disgusted by the word audiophile. It's like a person that likes music but with autism and a loving huge wallet.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Yep, gonna chime in here and say that if music is important to you - and it most definitely is for me - investing a bit or even a lot of extra money into a decent set of headphones is a worthwhile thing.

You don't even need to spend crazy amounts for decent stuff these days. I got the Blessing 2: Dusk and rocked it for around 6 months before I went to CanJam in search for my "end game" IEM and I would say that for a vast, vast amount of people, it's all they'll need.

I tried about 20 or so TOTL IEMs and if it weren't for the fact that the Divinity V16 completely stole my heart, I wouldn't have bothered with any of the others, even at half the price.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Spend more money on music is what I would say. Pay as many artists directly if you can. Find their webpage, etc.

I don't own an iem over 850 bux and i got them for 700 fwiw.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Arcsech posted:

I mean, I have (and I know other posters here have) a set of Focal Clears, which are in the low 4 figures. But like I said earlier, they’re basically work equipment for me and were also a combo birthday/new-job-pays-way-more present to myself a few years ago, and I’ll admit they’re definitely past the sweet spot on the price/performance curve.

You can definitely spend as much money as you have on audio equipment, but the returns on more money spent get smaller the more you spend. Going from ~$20 to ~$200 gets you MUCH better headphones, going from ~$200 to ~$2,000 gets you noticeably better headphones but far from the same absolute difference in quality as $20->$200. This is largely the same with many kinds of hobby gear; the same pattern holds true for poo poo like mechanical keyboards, musical instruments, D&D dice, fountain pens, etc. There’s often a sort of “break point” where the product gets to be about as good as the average person is going to notice and the price is relatively affordable - the XM4s are right about there, that’s typically what, say, The Wirecutter or similar review outlets go for - and above that stuff is aimed at hobbyists that are particular about small details and are willing to spend a bit/a lot more.

IEMs are used on stage, but they’re also just used as normal headphones. What might be confusing you is that I’ve only every heard audiophile types or music pros refer to them as “IEMs”, everyone else just calls them “earbuds” (which I think isn’t wrong, but IEM is more specific in referring to cans that have a tip that goes into your ear canal, rather than sitting outside of it like OG AirPods which “earbuds” also includes).

Thanks for this post, especially the iem clarification.

Just don't wanna end up like my proper in-at-the-deep-end audiophile uncle, who spends £400 on new gold plated cables (or whatever) on his £20k hifi and just spends his evenings furiously squinting his ears at the sound quality rather than actually enjoying the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I look on it as there's a difference between audiophile and Audiophile. Small a audiophiles are people who want to hear their music as well as possible but recognise the main way of going about that is to get nicer headphones/speakers. Big A Audiophiles are the people who post on Head-Fi and follow news about new amp releases.