Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

The challenge Grunty provided was simply too great; Argate was thinking tactically when he chose the version that could save state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't super aggresive predictive aim like that easy to dodge by just running in circle? So the fireballs would always be aimed outside the circle you run?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Zernach posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't super aggresive predictive aim like that easy to dodge by just running in circle? So the fireballs would always be aimed outside the circle you run?

If memory serves the game will notice the lack of motion and bean you. The easy trick is to just reverse direction in response to the audio cue

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

And that's it for Banjo-Kazooie! Since I don't yet have access to a copy of Tooie and probably won't for a little while, up next for this thread is a peek at the GBA interquel, Grunty's Revenge. As of this writing I'm not sure that we'll finish playing it, but we've got at least a good handful of content from the game to show! There may or may not be a small delay in between this video and the first one of GR, depending on how long it takes me to get around to finalizing the videos.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah those cheats are seriously obnoxious, huh?

Now that the game's over, this is a good time to link famous goon Cybershell's video about the game's secrets, including a full rundown of Stop 'n Swop's intended use, downfall and eventual redemption on the Xbox. He talks about some stuff in Tooie too, including important stuff like an early story beat and a couple of the transformations, so if you don't know it and want to stay pristine and unspoiled in the hopes that they put it on NSO and Argate can play it, don't watch. I mean, they just put Goldeneye on there, so it's still possible!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJYrs2C967g

Dabir fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 13, 2022

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
cheat thanks for a great lp tooie i cannot wait to see

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It's worth noting that most of these cheats are likely debugging leftovers and weren't really intended to be entered by the player. I vaguely remember there also being some way to prevent the save deletion, I think you have to enter the code backwards or something...?

Stop 'n Swop was a really neat idea and it's a shame it didn't really pan out as intended. People spent years after Banjo-Kazooie came out trying to figure out the exact machinations behind it, and of course Rare being Rare they put cheeky little references to it into other games to mess with the fanbase. I remember bits and pieces of all kinds of bizarre theories, like that you had to only collect a very specific subset of them, or that by entering the cheats they nulled their use and the only way to actually make them do something was to find a 'legit' way to get them.

It's also worth noting that the Banjo-Kazooie side of the implementation is actually done and fully functional! BK will scan the N64 memory on bootup for a specific data sequence and unlock the individual locations if it finds them, and likewise writes out a data sequence intended to be read by other games that contains the set of items you have collected. No other game actually interacts with this data though, so alas, it remained only a neat idea.

Also, even if you beat the game with <100 Jiggies, you don't have to re-beat the final boss to see these sequences. Grunty stays permanently defeated on a save file, the cauldron just launches you into the ending cutscene if you jump into it again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

quote:

Interestingly, the magic number 0xC908C52F, when shifted right by 2, gives the ASCII string "2B1K". The orderly presence of the letters B and K suggests that this is not a coincidence, but the meaning of the numbers 2 and 1 are unclear.

It's too early to be a 2 girls 1 cup reference, but I still want to say it's 2 Banjos 1 Kazooie. Because in "Banjo-Kazooie" and "Banjo-Tooie", there's two instances of "Banjo" but only one of "Kazooie".

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The cheat codes are long and easy to get wrong.
Without a guide they won't be found, the buttons don't even make a sound!

Thanks for the fun LP of Banjo Kazooie,
I cannot wait for your run of Tooie.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Do you have any plans to do the "Banjo-Kazooie: The Jiggies of Time" mod?
It turns a copy of BK into... Ocarina of Time with Banjo.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Woah, woah. Hold on here. Did I miss it? You're not done here argate, go home!

No really, take banjo back into his house, there's a cool Easter egg minigame there

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Also, you did all of those code demos and seem to have forgotten about wishywashybanjo?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Personally the code I will never forget is probably the most useless one.

Dontbeadumbogoseemumbo.

Because, mumbo tokens are really rare guys. Gotta get infinite of them.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

While these cheaty passwords may seem long, it's a small price to pay in order to make Banjo infinitely strong

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FoolyCharged posted:

Woah, woah. Hold on here. Did I miss it? You're not done here argate, go home!

No really, take banjo back into his house, there's a cool Easter egg minigame there

It's worth taking a quick trip back to Spiral Mountain after beating the game, yeah. For a couple of reasons!

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I'm assuming you're also keeping up with the latest news from the Yakuza games? In case you haven't, Yakuza 8 (Like a Dragon 2) was announced along with a new Yakuza Gaiden and "Ishin" I think it was called? Judgement and Lost Judgement released on Steam for PC as well.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

mastersord posted:

Yakuza 8 (Like a Dragon 2)
No, Like a Dragon 8. They're dropping the Yakuza name altogether.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

mastersord posted:

I'm assuming you're also keeping up with the latest news from the Yakuza games? In case you haven't, Yakuza 8 (Like a Dragon 2) was announced along with a new Yakuza Gaiden and "Ishin" I think it was called? Judgement and Lost Judgement released on Steam for PC as well.

Oh yeah, I’ve been over the moon all day with all the news about the new Like a Dragon games!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Banjo Yakuzie

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Hwurmp posted:

Banjo Yakuzie

:perfect:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah that rules!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge is a game I can most charitably describe as "the kind of game that would feature on Stop Skeletons From Fighting's Punching Weight." Its an admirable conversion of the N64 adventures to the handheld GBA that does manage to nail the feel of the 3D adventures fairly well, but it really shows how limiting the conversion from full 3D collectathon to 2D overhead platformer can be in a lot of ways. We currently don't have any plans on doing the whole game, we've done four of five worlds so we'll be seeing a good chunk of the game, but Artix realized what world 5 was and was not happy about it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You can't make me. I refuse to go back to Grunty Industries :colbert:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wow, I've never seen this game. Without Kazooie's sass, it's just not the same. :smith:

Banjo did say the barbecue he'd clean. So you guys were just being mean.

I thought I was free of this rhyming curse, but I guess there's another verse...

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Bozzeye really does have the worst voice, I wouldn't have continued recording this game if given the choice

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Bozzeye sounds like a fuckin henchman, not Bottles' ancestor. I have a feeling this leading to a dramatic reveal and later heel turn would actually be preferable to the way more likely truth of just having to put up with this poo poo the whole game.

edited for clarity just in case, I haven't played this before

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 17, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I also don't like how they added a truncated cackle to Grunty's general bark - it sound out of place to me.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

So, how'd they get Fire Emblem's level-up jingle? That sound I heard at the end of the slide can't have been anything else.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I'm probably one of the few people that enjoy this game. It's not the best execution, but it delivers on its premise and its bite sized enough you can knock it out in an afternoon pretty easy.

I can't believe yall are playing the vastly inferior GBA version and not the clearly superior phone version.

Artix posted:

You can't make me. I refuse to go back to Grunty Industries :colbert:

It's a single screen you wuss. That level is 90% (different Tooie level)Hailfire peaks and that other level in name only.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
If I wasn't going on vacation we would have recorded it this week. :ssh:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Finally, you've completed the farm. Now please tell me Bozzeye's voice can no longer cause me harm

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That terrain is really unclear

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The perspective... leaves a little to be desired. This won't be the last time a cliff looks like it can easily be jumped on.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

That skeleton had a familiar voice; down-pitched Grunty was certainly a choice

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

I'm worried now that Banjo's backpack is again full of Breegull, after all of those slams Kazooie might be as dumb as a seagull

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

liquidypoo posted:

I'm worried now that Banjo's backpack is again full of Breegull, after all of those slams Kazooie might be as dumb as a seagull

Don't forget, he's been rolling on it - and, by extension, her - since the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Come on and slam,
the breegull going bam.