Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

FlamingLiberal posted:

We have activity

https://twitter.com/ericburriswesh/status/1570065228188254208?s=46&t=HMVTkDV9i04HYZ9HVXmA5Q

I don’t trust that cone at all right now because there is a lot of uncertainly once it gets near Hispaniola

are we sure its not a tropical recession

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Grundulum posted:

I feel like I’ve asked this before, but: isn’t the point of category 5 (and EF5 for tornadoes) that they basically wipe human civilization off the earth they pass? So there is no need for a tier 6, as no higher level of devastation is possible?

A category six hurricane not only destroys your house but it also erases it from the timeline so that it was never there in the first place.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TehSaurus posted:

A category six hurricane not only destroys your house but it also erases it from the timeline so that it was never there in the first place.

finally a solution for the federal flood insurance program

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

NeonPunk posted:

Category 1. If we're going to base it off an arbitrary definition of destroying human buildings, then you can't really say that a hurricane on Jupiter is gonna be a threat to any human buildings :smug:

Someone seems very confident it's never going to come over and visit. Just because it hasn't yet doesn't mean it never will.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FlamingLiberal posted:

We have activity

https://twitter.com/ericburriswesh/status/1570065228188254208?s=46&t=HMVTkDV9i04HYZ9HVXmA5Q

I don’t trust that cone at all right now because there is a lot of uncertainly once it gets near Hispaniola

that's what sharpies are for

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

NeonPunk posted:

Category 1. If we're going to base it off an arbitrary definition of destroying human buildings, then you can't really say that a hurricane on Jupiter is gonna be a threat to any human buildings :smug:

made me lol

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"Stilgar, do we have stormsign?"

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

They should call it spicy depression

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

FlapYoJacks posted:

in our lifetime there is no doubt we will see the first category 6 hurricane.

Category Six hurricanes featured prominently in 2019's hit movie, "Godzilla: King of the Monsters."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

smoobles posted:

I think the hurricane scale is windspeed and the tornado scale is based on damage. Windspeed can always go up, but at a point it's functionally the same "gently caress every living thing in its path" hurricane.

Until, I suppose, it gets to like 400mph and begins ripping up trees and plants, and the top several feet of soil.

But the term for that guy is a hypercane.

The tornado scale is both wind speed AND damage based. :eng101:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I feel awful for the poor sucker who has to go inside each tornado and measure it's windspeed

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

smoobles posted:

I feel awful for the poor sucker who has to go inside each tornado and measure it's windspeed

scientists don't have to do that anymore, they can just order doordash and measure how fast the dasher's gps dot flies across the screen

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

smoobles posted:

according to the documentary twister, they just drive a truck into the tornado.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

smoobles posted:

This raises a good point, we should rank hurricanes by how much they can lift the way we rank gym bros.

A Cat 9 picking up an aircraft carrier is cool, but a Cat 11 can pick up Yankee Stadium and throw it a hundred miles

This happened to the Brooklyn Dodgers

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
crossposting this from the other thread, that's some cool stuff. The last picture especially is some horror/sci-fi poo poo :cthulhu:

Objurium posted:

Hello weather nerds! I was pointed over here by the CSPAM UFO thread after I managed to capture a series of lightning sprites through night vision a week or so ago. I'm just stoked I managed to capture such wild atmospheric phenomena, but I've had a fair amount of people tell me that I should be looking to share my captures with actual meteorologists or research programs, and I wanted to see if anyone in here would be able to point me in the right direction.

In total we caught 4 lightning sprites in the span of about 15 minutes.

https://i.imgur.com/zJ5YEsf.mp4

Shot through an iPhone attached to a PVS14 in high FPS slow-mo mode.

https://i.imgur.com/SDPpkCb.mp4

The most well-formed 'tendril-y' sprite we captured:

Help is appreciated!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

crossposting this from the other thread, that's some cool stuff. The last picture especially is some horror/sci-fi poo poo :cthulhu:

those are sprites, and pretty drat good photos/vids of them too. people in the ufo thread have encouraged that person to send copies to a local university

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
#lockitin

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

SirPablo posted:

#lockitin

Hurricane Metroid

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I’m ready

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/lockingitin/status/1570095712754597889?s=46&t=3EjrVuAeO_PpCuvJy8r7JA

:sickos:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I'm down for a few thousand wealthy people no longer having beach houses. Let THEM fight with their insurance for once.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

stealie72 posted:

I'm down for a few thousand wealthy people no longer having beach houses. Let THEM fight with their insurance for once.

Yeah, *about* that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsTKAqHwj0s

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

oh yeah give it to me baby

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Boston should be destroyed imo

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

biceps crimes posted:

Boston America should be destroyed imo

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Why you gotta harsh my buzz.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's bad juju for me to wish a hurricane on anyone but ... would we really be worse off if the Hamptons got washed away?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

It's bad juju for me to wish a hurricane on anyone but ... would we really be worse off if the Hamptons got washed away?

They'd just rebuild, bigger and gaudier than before. :smith:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lol the guy who made this video is a member of the Charles Koch Institute. libertarians are such stooges

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

That hurricane is pointed almost directly at my house so it's very valiant of long island to step in and take the bullet for me :911:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

YES YES

BRING IT FUCKER

WE WILL FIGHT IN BATTERY PARK

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

wipe the hamptons from this vile planet

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Sorry freaks, now the model is bouncing it out to sea off a big high pressure system covering the eastern US.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SirPablo posted:

Sorry freaks, now the model is bouncing it out to sea off a big high pressure system covering the eastern US.

Oh is this going to be one of those weird ones that now suddenly just bee lines to the UK?

Sweet, they're always fun.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

SirPablo posted:

coward storm

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

SirPablo posted:

i hope it runaway trains and builds enormous power on its approach to the UK and destroys it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

biceps crimes posted:

i hope it runaway trains and builds enormous power on its approach to the UK and destroys it

They would love that. A devastating storm during the nations period of mourning? They would think that was the most thematically appropriate thing.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SirPablo posted:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

biceps crimes posted:

That's not allowed during the Period of Mourning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Gripweed posted:

They would love that. A devastating storm during the nations period of mourning? They would think that was the most thematically appropriate thing.

well those limey pieces of poo poo and i agree on something for once

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 01:46 on Sep 16, 2022