Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

*looks up from switch* you can’t even be a squid in cod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

I agree that starting with 0 is the best choice, but starting with YLAD or Judgment is fine too. They're all pretty good at easing you into the setting without any confusing major callbacks.

My route through the series so far is Y0 -> YK1 -> YK2 -> Judgment -> Y3 -> Y4 -> YLAD -> LJ -> Y5 and the spoilers you mentioned are so minor and vague that they're really not going to ruin anyone's good time. Like, I've yet to play Y6 but from context gleaned in YLAD I know Kiryu is in hiding and a Korean guy dies but both of those things happen a lot throughout the series so its not really a big deal :shrug:

I had no idea that Judgement was even in a the Yakuza series, but it’s on my list of games to check out. Good looking out, I’ll definitely make sure I play that after 0 (and 1-2 if I get that far).

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Escobarbarian posted:

*looks up from switch* you can’t even be a squid in cod

Oh crap thanks for the reminder! Gyro aiming 4 lyfe :blastu:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Wolfsheim posted:

Everyone always goes full twee or British butler or Whedon with talking magical swords and bracelets and such but has anyone ever tried going Werner Herzog with it

"...he always says it's full of erotic elements. I don't see it so much as erotic. I see it more full of obscenity. It's just - gaming here is vile and base. I wouldn't see anything erotic here. I would see fornication and asphyxiation and choking and fighting for survival and... growing and... just rotting away. Of course, there's a lot of misery. But it is the same misery that is all around us. The trees here are in misery, and the enemy models are in misery.They just screech in pain. It's an unfinished country. It's still prehistorical. The only thing that is lacking is - is the sidequest design here. It's like a curse weighing on an entire landscape. And whoever... goes too deep into this has his share of this curse. So we are cursed with what we are doing here. It's a land that Masafumi Miyamoto, if he exists has - has created in anger. It's the only land where - where creation is unfinished yet. Taking a close look at - at what's around us there - there is some sort of a harmony. It is the harmony of... overwhelming and collective murder. And we in comparison to the articulate vileness and baseness and obscenity of all this prestige gaming - Uh, we in comparison to that enormous articulation - we only sound and look like badly generated and half-finished lootboxes out of a stupid gatcha... game... a mobile game. We have to become humble in front of this overwhelming misery and overwhelming fornication... overwhelming growth and overwhelming lack of order. Even the - the NPCs here in the - in the city look like a mess. There is no harmony in the universe. We have to get acquainted to this idea that there is no real harmony as we have conceived it. But when I say this, I say this all full of admiration for the prestige game. It is not that I hate it, I love it. I love it very much. But I love it against my better judgment."

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

VideoGames posted:

please post better

no can do, boss!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did you know that the enemies in Uncharted games are not bullet sponges, at a medium distance unarmored non-magical enemies will die to a pistol headshot or burst of rifle fire to the chest

:ocelot:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Did it always say medium distance?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm glad I stuck with Yakuza Like a Dragon because it's gotten batshit loving insane (and a little questionable) and I love it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMzONb1-CKg

Absolutely in love with the energy this game is bringing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I had no idea that Judgement was even in a the Yakuza series, but it’s on my list of games to check out. Good looking out, I’ll definitely make sure I play that after 0 (and 1-2 if I get that far).

Judgement is a stand alone series set in the Yakuza universe.

HOWEVER it does not deal with any characters from the Yakuza games, there are no cameos, and you do not need previous knowledge of the Yakuza series.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Infinitum posted:

Judgement is a stand alone series set in the Yakuza universe.

HOWEVER it does not deal with any characters from the Yakuza games, there are no cameos, and you do not need previous knowledge of the Yakuza series.

LJ has a couple of cameos though!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fix posted:

lol what the hell is even going on?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Playing river city ransom for the first time on the switch online service helped me understand Yakuza better. I’m enjoying 0 a lot after bouncing off a while back.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

lol what the hell is even going on?

Couldn't even begin to tell you, but here's the last trailer they put out. Noting that they worked on Dead or Alive Extreme Volleyball is a pretty incredible flex for this sort of game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w4r9aOqlhA

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Fix posted:

S-tier vibes. Added to my radar

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Frankston posted:

I'm glad I stuck with Yakuza Like a Dragon because it's gotten batshit loving insane (and a little questionable) and I love it.

There are exactly two parts of YLAD that are bad (from a plot perspective, the gameplay has its ups and downs): Nanba's brother you never see and Mirror Face. Nanba's brother is a bizarre plot point that doesn't work and the game clearly wants you to forget right after it happens, and Mirror Face is at the center of the dumbest plot twist of all time.

Everything else is just Ichiban stumbling rear end backwards into intrigue and punching his way out of it and it is a treat the entire time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fix posted:

Couldn't even begin to tell you, but here's the last trailer they put out. Noting that they worked on Dead or Alive Extreme Volleyball is a pretty incredible flex for this sort of game.

:hmmyes: I am still...confoos

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Fix posted:

This is giving me some serious mid-80s anime OVA energy.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I just want them to bring back pocket circuit racer.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Real hurthling! posted:

Did it always say medium distance?

I think I added that because someone linked a clip of firing an AK from like a mile away in Uncharted 4 which, lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The trolls win now

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TOEM getting new free content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7N8mO84A6s

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i tried TOEM (free on ps+) and had to shut it off after like 5 minutes.

i have a real problem keeping my attention for very long when poo poo is too overwhelming or "complicated." the game was like talk to this NPC and oh here's a diary, now walk to the next room and talk to the same NPC again and now here's a scrapbook and a camera and all these menus blablabla and i *really* wish it was more like: you have a camera, press this to aim and this to take pictures. now go out and take some pictures for a bit. *then* you can unload all the menu and meta poo poo on me.

i blame my absolutely pathetic youtube/social media brain for the most part, but also dark souls games that don't have you do any of that stuff and just go "press this to attack" and right away there's enemies.

also i would probably try TOEM for longer if i could turn off gyro aiming. i couldn't find that in the menu and that's kind of a deal breaker.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7oN_Q4pbkI

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm growing more excited about Pacific Drive given I always loved games like Interstate '76 where driving and doing driving missions was the whole deal. I really want them to release info as to whether it supports driving with a wheel tho. I think that could be extremely fun.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Just to check, this is still the thread for just posting about games I'm playing with no expectations anyone is actually going to read my posts, right? Right. Good.

I've put about 60 runs into Hades and only just had my fourth full win so far though I am now making it to the final boss three out of four times. I can handle most of the boss fights most of the time but I'm still really bad and my wins mostly feel like I accidentally stumbled into a build that kills everything (and been getting more and more duo-boons now, some of which are great and some of which I didn't stay alive long enough to regret them). I've even managed to throw away lives against the first boss when using an alternate moveset.

I will admit some of those runs I have self-sabotaged in an effort to get certain boons or complete various Prophecy lists. I've basically prioritised metaprogression stuff over actually winning the game. Buying stuff I don't need or picking powers that don't actually help my build or taking curses on low health over and over again in the hope that one will be new. It's really not a clever way to play the game, and while getting all the lists finished is satisfying I wouldn't recommend doing it this way. Please tell me it's not just me who plays games this way.

The way the game unfolds is a lot of fun but I'm really seeing why people complain about the RNG. It's not the randomness of the powerups, it's the goddamn interaction dialogue. I've only just had a conversation with Achilles where I admit I won, depite talking to him every time I see him. And my first win was almost an accident at around run 35. It feels like either there should be fewer or less limited dialogue triggers, so you can get through all the queued up conversations, or that stuff that unlocks other stuff (keepsake/favor stuff, quests for other characters) gets bumped up in the queue if the trigger for it was several runs ago.

Not sure I'll ever be good enough to plat this game but if I was thinking about it the dialogue thing would make me reconsider.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fix posted:

What the absolute hell, I need it

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fix posted:

Love me a good time setting trailer.

This looks like it'll be fun if they keep that vibe up

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Fix posted:

Weird music choice for the video game adaptation of the movie adaptation of the comic Wanted starring James McEvoy, Angelina Jolie, and Morgan Freeman.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Supraland is an interesting game. It's start off simple but they keep gradually giving you upgrades and more tools for movement and puzzle solving.

There's some Portal inspirations in this. VG you gotta check this out.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

TheDarkFlame posted:

:words: that I did, in fact, read

I need to replay Hades; it's so good. You're right about the conversation queue though - things can get delayed an awful lot depending on the order in which you trigger events

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hades protip: you can access the boon catalog from the pick boon screen and look up the requirements of duo boons so you can aim for them to drop in the future

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

New thread hype! Good stuff folks.

Infinitum posted:

All Kiryu
All the time.

Absolutely! These announcements are so mondo cool, 2023 is lookin' good!

Kilometers Davis posted:

should I play Kiwami 1 after I beat Disco Elysium? i have the strongest yakuza fever right now. absolutely raging intensity inside of me.

Oh yes, Yakuza fever!! Kiwami is good times, like people say a bit lower ranked than 0 etc, but it's really really cool. And that classic story that started it all still hits great.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Heavy Metal posted:

Oh yes, Yakuza fever!! Kiwami is good times, like people say a bit lower ranked than 0 etc, but it's really really cool. And that classic story that started it all still hits great.

RareAcumen posted:

It's a remake of a 2005 game so the sidequest and story quality might give you a little whiplash.

I played it a little before and loved it so, yeah, it’s almost Yakuza time!!!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Play Kiwami 1 on Easy

Some of the bosses are just sponges, and the main story is relatively short.

Kiwami 2 is where it gets good.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I finally gave Returnal a crack earlier this week and really enjoyed the first few hours. I'd gotten to the first boss a couple of times but then just had a really nasty run of luck with the cycles (and just kinda playing badly too). After about six hours I told my PS5 aloud that I was giving it one final run before uninstalling the game out of spite.

That did the trick! Picked up a few very handy artifacts and was able to run up weapon proficiency early so that by the time I got to the boss again I took him down handily. The 2nd biome seems easier and cruised through it pretty far without much hassle. Had to suspend the cycle to do IRL stuff but can't wait to get back to it. That adrenaline leech artifact has been aces.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Square Enix just released a new trailer for Forespoken and I think they must have listened to the complaints about the bad dialogue in the last one because it sounds a lot better now.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah 'unfortunately' the first few hours of Returnal are very much about unlocking a good combo of items to be used on a successful clearing run.

I think my first kill I had 3 healing packs somehow

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Infinitum posted:

Play Kiwami 1 on Easy

Some of the bosses are just sponges, and the main story is relatively short.

Kiwami 2 is where it gets good.

I can’t remember what I started on before. Are you difficulty locked in it? I’m good at Yakuza combat but I might go for easy if it’s locked in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I can’t remember what I started on before. Are you difficulty locked in it? I’m good at Yakuza combat but I might go for easy if it’s locked in.

I'm pretty sure you can change it but if you can't just learn tiger drop asap and that'll make it easy mode.