Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Pro tip: my Chapo enjoyment went way up after I started skipping the ten-minute stream of consciousness riff that Felix starts half the episodes with.

oh for gently caress's sake, this is a snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

big boi posted:

Pro tip: my Chapo enjoyment went way up after I started skipping the ten-minute stream of consciousness riff that Felix starts half the episodes with.

Snipe anxiety + trashing Felix. Pathetic

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

No Dignity posted:

Snipe anxiety + trashing Felix. Pathetic

Felix is cool. Everyone does something annoying, even if they're a cool person. Like you being mean to me

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo
What eps have had Kass in them, I missed that oaf

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dumpmaster General posted:

What eps have had Kass in them, I missed that oaf

He was on the show quite a bit until 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think 535 is the one that's just him complaining about how his family won't let him gorge himself to death.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
One of the live Chicago ones is his reading series debut.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

big boi posted:

Felix's stream of conscious river rides are actually my favourite. I find it calming when he starts trying to construct an analogy and then gets sidetracked searching for a specific (but unnecessary) detail.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

big boi posted:

I'm glad you're enjoying it more but Felix was great in this episode.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

BWV posted:

Felix's stream of conscious river rides are actually my favourite. I find it calming when he starts trying to construct an analogy and then gets sidetracked searching for a specific (but unnecessary) detail.

They’re the best, because he lands the comedy rant while forcing persnickety nerds to listen for minutes without getting to judge or interject. Like when I talk fast and lengthily in person and entertain normies+women and even get a few laughs, but enrage Data Science / Computer Science / Actual Hard Science dorks who want to be the smartest guy in the room. And I suck at public speaking, I’ve taken classes at UCB and gave up because I’m not naturally funny like Felix, so my meager success alone is too much for nerds like me

Goons hate ourselves after all 🤙

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wolfsheim posted:

The Jon Kass article they discuss in the latest ep is extremely funny but also a little depressing because if I had known when I was a teen that people could make a living writing articles about whatever inane poo poo pops into their head and they didn't even have to be coherent I feel like my life would have taken a different trajectory
There are so many rich failsons and faildaughters who have managed to get these jobs, but you usually have to have connections

Kass and also to an extent Rod are just super miserable despite having these very cushy jobs where they can just poo poo out trash content whenever they feel like it

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

having these very cushy jobs where they can just poo poo out trash content whenever they feel like it

On that same note, I listened to the Megan McGriddle 'pie rant' episode a little while ago. At least Kass kinda had a point about the queen, maybe, if you squint hard enough. The pie column reminded me of something I might have written in high school just to have something to turn in.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Why does anybody care about how a page starts?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I think remember Kass writing something like, “the wife, doesn’t let him have the pie”

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Analytic Engine posted:

I’ve taken classes at UCB

lol

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

yes and

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Wolfsheim posted:

The Jon Kass article they discuss in the latest ep is extremely funny but also a little depressing because if I had known when I was a teen that people could make a living writing articles about whatever inane poo poo pops into their head and they didn't even have to be coherent I feel like my life would have taken a different trajectory

You only get to do that if you were born into the sorts of families that all know each other in media or were ruthless enough of a social climber to insinuate yourself successfully into that space. Many try and fail at the latter, and the former are a select caste among the ruling class.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I think remember Kass writing something like, “the wife, doesn’t let him have the pie”

"She denies him pie these days" and the phrase is etched into my brain for some reason, probably taking the place of a cherished childhood memory

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah you can only really score a bullshit Op-Ed job if you’re a filthy racist hatemonger, there’s a reason there aren’t a plethora of Millenial Dave Barry’s writing cloyingly twee articles about how music today is kinda wacky

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah you can only really score a bullshit Op-Ed job if you’re a filthy racist hatemonger

Not true, you can also be British institution Adrain Chiles, patron saint of having nothing to say but the money is too good to turn down.

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2022/05/30/adrian-chiles-funny-column-titles/

for a selection

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/07/after-three-weeks-travelling-in-europe-im-calling-it-british-food-is-the-best

this was a week ago but the one posted today is also funny

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Blasmeister posted:

Not true, you can also be British institution Adrain Chiles, patron saint of having nothing to say but the money is too good to turn down.

for a selection

He's in the direct nepotism category, being as he is married to the editor-in-chief.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

The "British food is best" headline is misleading because what he's actually saying is that dining out in Britain is better because you get cuisines from all over the world, as opposed to many European countries where you can struggle to find something that's not the local cuisine (according to him anyway but I can imagine this being very true of France and Italy at least).

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Blasmeister posted:

for a selection

On some level this guy has to know he's become the British Dave Barry

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

cohsae posted:

The "British food is best" headline is misleading because what he's actually saying is that dining out in Britain is better because you get cuisines from all over the world, as opposed to many European countries where you can struggle to find something that's not the local cuisine (according to him anyway but I can imagine this being very true of France and Italy at least).

Even this is wrong. True, if you are in -London- you can get some good variety, but most other towns will have a curry place and maybe another option if you're lucky. Paris and Rome have plenty of options,, but like they do thin out the further you go away from the capital....where they are replaced by local, good cuisines.

But yeah, as someone who worked as ajournalist and had delusions of writing op-eds, that kind of space is reserved for 1- friends of the editor/owner 2- 'Experts' that agree with the owner or have a core message he wants to reinforce, and 3- some celebrity pundit they think might drag clicks in, assuming it doesn't disturb items 1 and 2.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Analytic Engine posted:

They’re the best, because he lands the comedy rant while forcing persnickety nerds to listen for minutes without getting to judge or interject. Like when I talk fast and lengthily in person and entertain normies+women and even get a few laughs, but enrage Data Science / Computer Science / Actual Hard Science dorks who want to be the smartest guy in the room. And I suck at public speaking, I’ve taken classes at UCB and gave up because I’m not naturally funny like Felix, so my meager success alone is too much for nerds like me

Goons hate ourselves after all 🤙

bust ro... -wait wtf we have two of them?!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BWV posted:

The only one I remember disliking was the 9/11 one where he went on about rap for awhile. It sucked and went nowhere and took up time that could've been used on something more interesting. It's the only time I can remember thinking "this poo poo sucks" listening besides the Matt Taibbi cop ep.

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo
yea I love Felix's rambles but his trying to tie rap losing its edge to 9/11 was a weird rabbit hole, I think he was confusing 'soldier style becoming cool' in the Iraq War's early stages and just general 'rap becomes mainstream especially for suburban white kids with money' and thinking he really found something.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Felix’s rap rants/analogies are cringe, but I still love him.

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo
He’s a good man even if he’s dumb, like most midwesterners

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
“Yeah, no”

None of them are as bad as the Floss Latino thing they dragged on for what felt like an hour.

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo
No way that ruled and was a genuine good parody of the dem “wins” that get trotted out

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
¡FlossLatino!

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Action Serious posted:

None of them are as bad as the Floss Latino thing they dragged on for what felt like an hour a week.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Floss Latino was funny. they should bring it back.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CHAPOTRAPHOUSE/status/1570551037668528128?t=CcHMXi6FqS5Lz5CozQYl7Q&s=19

Don't worry folks, I've already mailed the Podcast Ombudsman to complain

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Lmao that pig is sick

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

¡FlossLatino!

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Lol @ the acknowledgement in the bonus episode of Matt being a mute during interviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I gotta give reluctant props to Chris because he makes Matt sound so fluid. In the most recent Street Fight where he isn't edited as much he halts a lot more