Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

feels good to get my ult ready at spawn and have the first three splats in the match be mine

doesnt feel so good when one of them quits right after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Space Fish posted:

Crab tank chat does not apply to me - do you all not get splatted the second you hear your special meter reach max?

This is the problem, yeah - it makes you extremely slow and easy to splat in exchange for… less damage, unless you spend several seconds ramping up the main cannons, in which case targets are far enough away that even if you aim at then they can just dodge your shots easily. You can roll up into a ball, but you’re still vulnerable and slow, and while the ball can crawl up walls without inking them, it does so slowly and this wastes a huge chunk of your active time.

I really want to like it, ‘cause hell yeah crabs, but it really seems underpowered right now. Most reasonable advice I saw for using it was basically “maneuver to a safe position and line up your shots” and I can’t stress enough that I can and should do that with my Normal rear end Gun and it will be basically more effective.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the good thing about the crab tank is that it is a tank that is a crab and that's rad

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Escobarbarian posted:

This is why I don’t get why people are weird about painting spawn in turf

https://twitter.com/xpatriciah/status/1569513444583550976?s=20&t=8n42PBANbOxoKQkv0cQ6nw

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

kidcoelacanth posted:

the good thing about the crab tank is that it is a tank that is a crab and that's rad

Everything about it just works, including the big red self-destruct button.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Maybe I'm just playing with bad people then because I don't often have people dodge my crab tank shots easily.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The crab tank also has a cannon and it can be used in situations where the rapid fire guns aren't worth using.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

See the thing with Crab Tank is that enemies without a flank on you have to just sit behind a wall and take it till you're done.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

How do I force my brain to motion control?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

40-Degree Day posted:

Be like me and give up on motion controls forever

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

40-Degree Day posted:

Quite honestly, start with using a roller. I primarily still use the stick to turn for that, and your vertical movement, while important, isn't any sort of focus most of the time. It's a good way to ease into it while still being incredibly useful.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

40-Degree Day posted:

Set motion to max, go into the lobby, and try to hit the moving targets without using either stick at all.

juicefest
Jun 12, 2022

Relyssa posted:

Be like me and give up on motion controls forever

If you're going to be a lazy little baby at least accept that rather than trying to validate your decision by getting other people to give up also.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

juicefest posted:

If you're going to be a lazy little baby at least accept that rather than trying to validate your decision by getting other people to give up also.

Whoa, this goon is freaking badass.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

juicefest posted:

You sure have strong opinions about how other people play video games.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Seems the drop in to a friend's match button is actually the network communication failure button

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

the way you learn motion controls is to play the game with them. they’re much better than sticks, but you’re free to play however you want.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

you just gotta put in a little bit of work, it's not too hard to learn

a couple of days of frustration is way better than getting shot in the rear end forever

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

juicefest posted:

This guy is not a cool squid and doesn't belong in this thread.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I really wish motion controls didn't make me nauseous or I'd give them another try.

juicefest
Jun 12, 2022

Relyssa posted:

I really wish motion controls didn't make me nauseous or I'd give them another try.

My tummy hurts too much to use motion controls :(

I'm just teasing, btw. I forget how many actual weirdly aggro people there are here

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

juicefest posted:

I'm just teasing, btw. I forget how many actual weirdly aggro people there are here

The two weirdly aggro posts in the thread were both by you juicey

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I love motion but still don't really understand why it disables the vertical stick aim.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Relyssa posted:

in this case it might be better to go counter to the typical goon advice and set the sensitivity lower. there are tournament-winning players who go around at +1 or even less, and slower motion might be easier for you to handle

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

I love motion but still don't really understand why it disables the vertical stick aim.

I wondered that too, but then I went back to games that had both full stick and gyro, and it suuuuuucks accidentally moving vertically with the stick. Having that axis removed from the stick lets you focus on your tilting for vertical movement, and your right thumb doesn't need to be AS accurate moving around.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

in this case it might be better to go counter to the typical goon advice and set the sensitivity lower. there are tournament-winning players who go around at +1 or even less, and slower motion might be easier for you to handle

I might give that another try. Motion sickness really fuckin sucks and once it starts flaring up I have to go lay down so I can't mess around with settings for very long at a time, sadly.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Muscle Tracer posted:

Every time i've used motion controls in a shooter with vertical stick aim enabled it feels way worse to me than Splatoon's.

juicefest
Jun 12, 2022
There's no reason to not give the option to aim vertically with the stick. If it really is better to have it disabled (and I think it is) then it won't become the new normal that everyone has to follow if they want to compete or whatever it was that someone was worried might happen.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Turned the sens up to 2 from the default setting and now I am curbstomping children left and right. Ty goons

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Item Getter posted:

I am possibly dumb and don't really understand the point of the Series very well and haven't tried it yet. You mean like it feels lower-stakes than Open since you have to lose several times for the rank to drop or something?

Series is the way to increase your rank significantly. For instance, I get +8p/match in Open and +250p/series in Series. The impression I get is that Open is the training/free Ranked mode, and Series is the true test of your rank.
I’m not sure whether it’s more or less punishing than 2’s system, but it’s WAY more predictable, which is a good thing. I hated the mystery of the cracks and bars.

Also I recommend playing Carbon to mess around with the zipcaster. It feels sooo fast and smooth.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Apart from sensitivity what is the go-to for making motion controls "click" for someone like me where my brain rejected them for the past two games no matter how much I tried? Starting with rollers is a good idea and I'll definitely do that but any and all advice is welcome. I would like to become Good and also Fresh

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Muscle Tracer posted:

because the quality of gyro controls rapidly declines the more fighting there is between the analog stick input and the gyro input. by simplifying the analog stick movement from 360 directions to only two it lets the gyro controls shine while delegating the action that gyro controls are the worst at (turning around) to the analog stick.

and if you’re gonna ask “why not make it an option” it’s because no 10 year old in the world is going to make the above string of logical connections unprompted and decide for themselves to set up the controls like that. The vast majority of adults won’t either.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, I kept collecting cards and had no idea how to use them in Tableturf Battle. Same goes for 'unlocking' new decks. Had to look it up.

Just fyi; it's all in the X menu. Can't remember if it's the 2nd or 3rd tab, but it's there. You can customize your deck as you see fit, and those other blank decks listed next to your starter deck are presets, which you can name.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Relyssa posted:

Apart from sensitivity what is the go-to for making motion controls "click" for someone like me where my brain rejected them for the past two games no matter how much I tried? Starting with rollers is a good idea and I'll definitely do that but any and all advice is welcome. I would like to become Good and also Fresh

Go to the practice range and set the motion controls sensitivity to whatever feels comfortable to turn with without breaking your wrists. If you are good with the stick this can be low, otherwise set it at like +1. Then go on the range, stand in one spot, and repeatedly turn the controller to target a prop without using the stick, whatever feels like the "right" distance to turn your controller to hit the target. If you overshoot the target then turn your sensitivity down, if you don't go far enough then bump it up. Once you feel comfortable with your settings run around and try doing the same thing from several spots. Once you get the "flick" down practice just tracking the moving targets back and forth, first when standing then when moving

Basically intend of fighting your natural "aim" change the settings til it works for you. After that you can start working up and down from there. It's the same thing with mouse controls on a PC, you don't want to be moving your mouse and then stopping when the crosshairs hit your target, you want a general idea of what distance you need to move to get to where you're going and then quickly moving there, then making small adjustments afterwards for movement.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 14, 2022

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Go to the practice range and set the motion controls sensitivity to whatever feels comfortable to turn with without breaking your wrists. If you are good with the stick this can be low, otherwise set it at like +1. Then go on the range, stand in one spot, and repeatedly turn the controller to target a prop without using the stick, whatever feels like the "right" distance to turn your controller to hit the target. If you overshoot the target then turn your sensitivity down, if you don't go far enough then bump it up. Once you feel comfortable with your settings run around and try doing the same thing from several spots. Once you get the "flick" down practice just tracking the moving targets back and forth, first when standing then when moving

Basically intend of fighting your natural "aim" change the settings til it works for you. After that you can start working up and down from there. It's the same thing with mouse controls on a PC, you don't want to be moving your mouse and then stopping when the crosshairs hit your target, you want a general idea of what distance you need to move to get to where you're going and then quickly moving there, then making small adjustments afterwards for movement.

Useful, thank you!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

juicefest posted:

There's no reason to not give the option to aim vertically with the stick. If it really is better to have it disabled (and I think it is) then it won't become the new normal that everyone has to follow if they want to compete or whatever it was that someone was worried might happen.

I assure you that nobody is worried about a button that makes the controls worse might become the new meta.
The button that makes the controls worse isn’t in the game because you don’t put a button in a game if you don’t want anyone to press it.
why would they knowingly include a feature that sucks and invite all the complaints about how bad the controls are from people who utilized this feature thinking it was a perfectly valid option

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Is there a button to make my opponents worse?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

njsykora posted:

If there is then the teams I'm getting matched with have been mashing it for a while now.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

njsykora posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The lack of a copy machine in the sheldon firing range is downright criminal. How are we meant to test The Big Suck the Ink Vac without one?