Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well we could probably start by not being a capitalist hellscape of endless suffering and grinding misery to enrich a select few to levels beyond comprehension.

Doesn't seem too likely though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

bird food bathtub posted:

Well we could probably start by not being a capitalist hellscape of endless suffering and grinding misery to enrich a select few to levels beyond comprehension.

Doesn't seem too likely though.

Nah. Very wealthy people not profiting off of misery goes against the laws of nature.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/GPrime85/status/1570052244619530242?t=DDU4BdxxWaKxqZr26Rljjg&s=19

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

No clue who this guy is but for the thread:

https://youtube.fandom.com/wiki/George_Alexopoulos posted:

Quotes:
* "I love women, until they start talking"
Trivia:
* He was on The Dick Show[17]
* He has illustrated a children's book written by Lauren Southern
I'm guessing his neighbor was mildly inconvenienced by a Muslim call to prayer and then having to see Muslims practice their religion in public using rituals they've been doing for longer than a millennia.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Today's talking points and scripted callers were pretty obvious if my 10 minutes of listening to Hannity and some other guy are anything to go by.

MAGA's are upset that "the free market" isn't deciding energy policy and decrying the subsidies for solar and EV's. I think, to a certain extent, that's an argument worth having on its merits but holy poo poo doesn't the fossil fuel industry (and agriculture for that matter) receive trillions of dollars of government money? Hell, I think a lot of right wing sacred cow industries do but maybe someone can help me out on that.

They acted like Donald Trump flipped the "deregulation" switch and that's what led to all that "prosperity" under his term

Here we go

Subsidy Tracker Industries Ranked by Subsidy Totals

https://subsidytracker.goodjobsfirst.org/top-industries

Not sure what to make of it and no idea what #5 is or what "diversified" means in this context but oil and gas are #6 and are raking in record profits so.... For that matter, I dunno if this site is even reliable but it as the first google hit I got.

Notably, the list is 50 items long and I didn't see education on there but maybe that's not considered an "industry" all falls under one of the other nebulous categories.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes traditionally oil and gas have received significant subsidies, despite them not at all needing it

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

kik2dagroin posted:

No clue who this guy is
Right-wing screaming women comic guy

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Is he going for, “well they are also anti-Semitic so, it’s alright if we are”? Or “they are anti-Semitic so we can’t be also”?

Cause from where I’m sitting if someone told me that there was a mob blasting sirens and yelling “Allahu Akbar!” in a Jewish neighborhood it wouldn’t take much to convince me it was actually white Christian nationalists stirring poo poo.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

FFT posted:

Right-wing screaming women comic guy

While I do know who the person is, this description doesn't narrow it down all that much.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Prism posted:

While I do know who the person is, this description doesn't narrow it down all that much.

He's basically a Stonetoss wannabe but every one of his comics has a screaming woman or someone making a stanky >8C face as the punchline.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Murgos posted:

Is he going for, “well they are also anti-Semitic so, it’s alright if we are”? Or “they are anti-Semitic so we can’t be also”?

The argument seems to literally be “No U.”

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

BiggerBoat posted:

Subsidy Tracker Industries Ranked by Subsidy Totals

https://subsidytracker.goodjobsfirst.org/top-industries

Not sure what to make of it and no idea what #5 is or what "diversified" means in this context but oil and gas are #6 and are raking in record profits so.... For that matter, I dunno if this site is even reliable but it as the first google hit I got.

Notably, the list is 50 items long and I didn't see education on there but maybe that's not considered an "industry" all falls under one of the other nebulous categories.

if you actually click through most of the subsidies are property tax abatements in texas and louisiana, or MEGADEALS also from texas and louisiana. In real terms that means that the state says it won't collect property taxes on a big new factory, refinery, drilling operation in exchange for it opening and creating such-and-such amount of jobs that they can put in their employment figures. It's really really normal for states to do this for all big economic projects but it is bad policy because it's race-to-the-bottom poo poo where local governments become starved for cash needed for public services as well as amenities and infrastructure improvements that would attract more businesses, diversify the economy, or help start-ups that could grow into large businesses. I also don't really see the appeal of doing it for resource extraction businesses because what the oil's going to move somewhere else?

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Murgos posted:

Cause from where I’m sitting if someone told me that there was a mob blasting sirens and yelling “Allahu Akbar!” in a Jewish neighborhood it wouldn’t take much to convince me it was actually white Christian nationalists stirring poo poo.

I spent the evening arguing with some dumb chud on Twitter about how the left were anti-semitic because someone with BLM said something about destroying Israel then spamming various examples of individual Palestinians and Arabs doing bad things whenever I asked her if she supported collective punishment as if the actions of some desperate Palestinians somehow justified Israel's campaign of genocide.

I just don't understand why people seem to believe that lovely actions of other people justify lovely actions of their own. But it seems to be core to CHUD thinking. That's always their excuse for supporting lovely Republicans who have committed some horrible thing, find some Democrat or leftist somewhere also did or said some lovely thing even slightly adjacent. Like using the whole "Obama put kids in cages too" when defending Trump's child separation policy.

Like yeah Obama sucked on immigration so that somehow makes Trump sucking even more, acceptable? Why don't you just admit that you are OK with torturing children already?

Also on their crazy conspiracy crap, they look at Trump who hides his taxes, owes hundreds of millions dollars to Russians, asks Russia to hack Hillary on national TV, fires the guy who is looking into his involvement with them and the election interference, sides with Putin in Helsinki over our own intelligence services and Republican Senate Intelligence Committee then has a private meeting with Putin that no one else other than his interpreter who is sworn to secrecy is privy to and then destroys the notes of and they're are all "yup seems legit" yet somehow they've grocked onto some massive "deep state" Democratic cabal of baby blood drinking pedophiles.

Like come on you missed the most obviously compromised asset in human history but sure we're the sheeple. Those rascally Democrats who can keep a pedophile blood drinking cult completely secret but evil crooked Hillary can't slip some polonium into Trump's nightly 2 scoops of ice-cream?

I used to think that they were just trolling but I'm truly beginning to think that a lot of them are really just that loving stupid.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

if you actually click through most of the subsidies are property tax abatements in texas and louisiana, or MEGADEALS also from texas and louisiana. In real terms that means that the state says it won't collect property taxes on a big new factory, refinery, drilling operation in exchange for it opening and creating such-and-such amount of jobs that they can put in their employment figures. It's really really normal for states to do this for all big economic projects but it is bad policy because it's race-to-the-bottom poo poo where local governments become starved for cash needed for public services as well as amenities and infrastructure improvements that would attract more businesses, diversify the economy, or help start-ups that could grow into large businesses. I also don't really see the appeal of doing it for resource extraction businesses because what the oil's going to move somewhere else?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Plenty of them are just stupid, but at this point pretty much all of them only care about this poo poo to use it as a cudgel to "own the libs" and whatnot. They're not necessarily anti-semites (though assuredly many if not most of them are) but Sartre described them too with the classic:

Sartre posted:

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvmd85/dairy-queen-pennsylvania-armed-man-trump

Trump Fan in Clown Wig Threatens to Kill All Democrats in a Dairy Queen
He also told officers that he was working to “restore Trump as president.”

quote:

A former President Donald Trump supporter from Pennsylvania was arrested after storming a Dairy Queen with a loaded handgun while wearing a clown wig.

During the incident, he claimed he was going to “kill all the Democrats because Trump was still president.”

Jan Stawovy, a 61-year-old from Hunker, Pennsylvania, told police who confronted him that he “talked to God” and was a “prophet” who was working undercover with the Pennsylvania State Police on a drug sting operation.

He also told officers that he was working to “restore Trump as president” according to the affidavit reviewed by local TV station WTAJ.

Stawovy was arrested and police subsequently found two more loaded handguns in his car along with 62 rounds of ammunition.

In the wake of Trump’s election loss in November 2020, Stawovy was immediately convinced that the former president had won. “Good morning. Good Tithings. Guns. God. And 4 years of President Trump!!!!,” Stawovy wrote on Dec.1, 2020. He has posted multiple pro-Trump messages since the election loss as well as multiple memes about gun control and protecting the 2nd amendment.

Stawovy has also posted some QAnon-linked videos referencing the “great awakening” and “deep state” plots to deny Trump the presidency. He has also shared posts from a number of high-profile figures within the QAnon community, including former Trump lawyer Lin Wood and evangelical pastor Greg Locke, who has repeatedly preached QAnon conspiracies from the pulpit.

On Aug. 7 this year, hours before the FBI searched Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home, Stawovy posted: “Civil War in 2024?”

I guess this should maybe go in USCE but, while I realize this is a serious mental health issue in this specific case, I still think that deep down the cumulative effect of all the poo poo we discuss in this thread bears some responsibility. This guy seems like if it wasn't Qanon poo poo, it would certainly be something else but ti still freaks me out,

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If it’s not Qanon it’s some other conspiracy stuff. The US needs to offer a lot more mental health services and it might actually keep people from harming others. But ya know… its easier to sacrifice a few people than to actually offer free help.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

These individuals are hosed in the head, but it's not helpful for the senior leaders of a major political party to actively egg on and encourage this (people like Grassley and Cruz talking up 87K IRS workers coming to your home with rifles, the GOP as a whole accepting Qanon as a desirable brand etc.).

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
Well Desantis is certainly continuing to Desantis all over the place.

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1570383143936446467

I haven't seen how the RWM has responded to this yet, but I'm assuming it's going to be along the lines of "now they get to see what it's like to get ILLEGALS just showing up!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Turns out this story is all RWM

https://twitter.com/reichlinmelnick/status/1570221018907836416?s=46&t=YNA3HPFqn67WLbQ7W14dBg

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
How is that not kidnapping or human trafficking?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Scipiotik posted:

How is that not kidnapping or human trafficking?

It is

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
Also:

https://twitter.com/ReichlinMelnick/status/1570231964497776649

Essentially it was a windowless van advertising free candy used to trick frightened people into going along with them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

While all those involved in sending them there can go gently caress themselves, there is a comparatively positive ending for the people trafficked:

https://twitter.com/sarahmccammon/status/1570363758316339202

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Not sure if it was Fla, but they also bussed some people and dropped them off in front of Kamalas house in DC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sYWg8Q4FZ0

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

It's also like they think that Massachusetts... doesn't have resources to handle undocumented imigrants? Which if true, is both :lol: and :gonk:, considering that they were just willing to dump these people in a random place with no assistance or help or capacity to help (in their minds).

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Cant you just house and feed these migrants and then send the bill back to the assholes that bussed them in?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Hihohe posted:

Cant you just house and feed these migrants and then send the bill back to the assholes that bussed them in?

What makes you think they would pay?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I just want the loving MBTA police to arrest DeSantis, cus getting arrested by subway cops is exactly the kind of indignity he'd hate.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Burning_Monk posted:

What makes you think they would pay?

Yeah nvm,

Barring a lawsuit, these fuckers would chop thier own dicks off before being slightly empathetic

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
loving arrest them all for human trafficking what the gently caress

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Here in Illinois, there are a lot of human trafficking laws in place. It would be interesting if the bus driver or pilots/flight crew involved were arrested for knowingly facilitating human trafficking.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Neito posted:

It's also like they think that Massachusetts... doesn't have resources to handle undocumented imigrants? Which if true, is both :lol: and :gonk:, considering that they were just willing to dump these people in a random place with no assistance or help or capacity to help (in their minds).

The cruelty is the point.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Wait, you can get arrested for giving an undocumented migrant food/water/shelter in the desert, but not if you transport them across state lines?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If they don’t wanna follow proper federal immigration guidelines and instead send them to other states fine. Pull all their immigration and border funding and give it to the states they sent the immigrants to

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Skex posted:

I just don't understand why people seem to believe that lovely actions of other people justify lovely actions of their own. But it seems to be core to CHUD thinking. That's always their excuse for supporting lovely Republicans who have committed some horrible thing, find some Democrat or leftist somewhere also did or said some lovely thing even slightly adjacent. Like using the whole "Obama put kids in cages too" when defending Trump's child separation policy.

Like yeah Obama sucked on immigration so that somehow makes Trump sucking even more, acceptable? Why don't you just admit that you are OK with torturing children already?

The difference is that you see torturing kids as bad in itself, a thing nobody should want. Whereas the right wing sees torturing kids as a thing one "gets" to do as long as someone says it's ok. They're angry because the way they see it, the left "gets to" torture kids but they don't.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/JFKLibrary/status/1570410627134529536

Everything old is new again

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I know this is me just yelling into the abyss, but it's absolutely disgusting how Right Wingers can so easily just use and abuse people like that as props for cheap political captial. Nothing will ever come of it and the bad guys will "win" again but goddamn the Republican party is just staffed with gargoyles.

Big props to the folks who stepped up and helped the migrants. gently caress everyone who put those people in jeopardy.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Lil Ben is upset he didn't get his talking point lol

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1570392833701597185

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Burning_Monk posted:

Lil Ben is upset he didn't get his talking point lol

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1570392833701597185

He'll still say the exact same thing. Reality hasn't stopped these assholes for decades now.