Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I just remembered the time the Packers kicked a FG down 8 to the Brady Bucs with 2 mins on the clock in the NFC title game. Did Hackett talk Lafluer into that or is this just a Lafluer branch thing I wonder.

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Same coaching tree - same dumb field goal decisions

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

All these Shanahan/McVay types are tremendous cowards

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

All these Shanahan/McVay types are tremendous cowards

Staley Rules

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

It seems like a pretty clear cut either/or situation. If you are going to kick you don't want to stop the clock at all because you don't want to leave any time for Seattle. If you call a time-out to think about it, you've basically already committed to going for it. The time management isn't the problem.

The problem is going into that situation with a 64-yard field goal as your target line. If there's only time for one play, sure kick and leave it up to the football gods. But that was a clear situation where they should have gone for it, and I've got some serious questions about how they bungled the decision making.

That said, Matt Rhule is such a dead man walking I have no idea why they even bothered bringing him back.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Pretty sure there were Packers fans here arguing that Hackett was a good hire because Rodgers liked him, which, lol, lmao.

Gase got two jobs because of Peyton Manning. Hell, McCarthy probably owes a lot of his current job to Rodgers.

Owners are dumb.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hackett isn't even a McVay guy, he was Doug Marrone's right-hand man going all the way back to Syracuse and followed Marrone to every NFL stop. The idea that he suddenly became an offensive savant after like 2 years in Green Bay always seemed sketchy to me, and that first game sure as hell didn't change my mind.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Peyton Manning loved Adam Gase and swore by him and well.. yeah

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Nodoze posted:

Peyton Manning loved Adam Gase and swore by him and well.. yeah

The only plausible explanation for this in hindsight is that Gase just let Peyton do whatever he wanted with the offense (as he should have). Though Peyton must have liked him well enough on a personal level (they also shared an agent IIRC) given the infamous call to Chris Johnson in 2018...

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 14, 2022

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
If you wanted to be charitable, I can imagine that the way Gase acted with his players as an OC and with Peyton Manning as his QB was very different than how he was as a HC with the people he had with the Dolphins and Jets. But IIRC, he also had a brief stint as OC of the Bears that was also kinda meh, so it probably goes mostly on :manning:

That said, it did lead to crazy coke eyes Gase with the Jets, which was amazing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fartknocker posted:

That said, it did lead to crazy coke eyes Gase with the Jets, which was amazing.

I still don't have any idea what was going on there. You aren't Mike Singletary playing middle linebacker trying to read a play, you're doing a press conference.

As awkward as it was Jim Tomsula's first interview was...possibly worse...but way less existentially frightening than Gase with the Jets.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the secret is players are really really bad at evaluating others in the sport they play professionally

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Kinda wanna see players' fantasy teams. Bet they draft horribly.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Professor Funk posted:

The only plausible explanation for this in hindsight is that Gase just let Peyton do whatever he wanted with the offense (as he should have). Though Peyton must have liked him well enough on a personal level (they also shared an agent IIRC) given the infamous call to Chris Johnson in 2018...

The story I've heard is Gase is the same kind of maniac that Manning is where he's awake at 2am grinding tape and looking for new wrinkles so when Manning would text him he'd be awake doing the same thing and they bonded over that

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm not convinced that Gase is all that worse a coach than some of these guys in the league right now who have head coaching jobs but better talent like Hackett, Fat Mike or Matt Lefleur or even guys who lose a lot like Saleh or Dan Campbell.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
If all it took to be a good head coach was grinding tape until the early hours of the morning and drawing up plays, Gase would have been a good hire!

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I'm not convinced that Gase is all that worse a coach than some of these guys in the league right now who have head coaching jobs but better talent like Hackett, Fat Mike or Matt Lefleur or even guys who lose a lot like Saleh or Dan Campbell.

Even with the moronic decision to kick the field goal in the NFCCG, Matt Lafleur is leagues better than Adam Gase, c'mon

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

lol Gase isn't just a bad coach, he's also a tremendous rear end in a top hat that runs off the teams best players.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

lol Gase isn't just a bad coach, he's also a tremendous rear end in a top hat that runs off the teams best players.

I still contend that Gase didn't really run off any good players from either the Dolphins or the Jets.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Even with the moronic decision to kick the field goal in the NFCCG, Matt Lafleur is leagues better than Adam Gase, c'mon

I think he's massively overrated. He's had the best QB in the NFL and great talent all over the field for his whole head coaching career.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

mcmagic posted:

I think he's massively overrated. He's had the best QB in the NFL and great talent all over the field for his whole head coaching career.

He might be. Packers fan here, he really did turn around the O-line and run game from the Fat Mike years, but he hasn’t really developed any WRs yet. That’s been papered-over by having Rodgers and Adams, and now we’ll see what happens without Adams, and then probably next year without Rodgers.

There’s a chance we see LaFleur turn into a pumpkin.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The 2014 NFCCG loss basically mentally broke the 2010s Packers. Rodgers balling the gently caress out in 2015 and 2016 was like, 80% of the success of these teams. McCarthy did barely anything. Then when Rodgers got dejected and injured the team went 7-9 and 6-9-1 and McCarthy looked utterly lost.

LaFleur came in and immediately turned the team's culture around and ripped off three consecutive 13-win seasons. McCarthy got 13+ with Rodgers exactly once, with that ultra-stacked 2011 offense.

LaFleur has a couple of clear issues with his coaching but he's been a massive improvement over McCarthy and I really doubt Gase would've had even remotely the same level of success.

Nov 6, 2002

Professor Funk posted:

If all it took to be a good head coach was grinding tape until the early hours of the morning and drawing up plays, Gase would have been a good hire!

If you go back and read the press clippings on him right before he was hired to be the Dolphins HC, it's nothing but people gushing about how hard he works - nothing about him actually being, like smart.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I thought the story was that Gase and Manning also shared agents, so Manning was basically doing his agent a favor.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

LaFleur also brought in some new offensive concepts like "Scheme WRs open" and less nuanced concepts like "Aaron Jones is our best RB wtf are we doing with Ty Montgomery"

I think the moat damning thing about Gase is that players seemed to play better after they were no longer on a team coached by him. He didn't come into the best situations talent wise, but he certainly didn't improve that talent or show he could build a good culture.

The jury's still out on Dan Campbell but there is no doubt he is an excellent motivator and rebuilt the culture in Detroit after the scorched earth that Patricia left.

Nov 6, 2002

Gase biggest refrain was always that the players needed to execute better. Which is basically an indictment of own inability to coach them up, or how poorly his schemes fit.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Gase seems to have had a big beef with Jay Ajayi in Miami, culminating in trading him to the Eagles. Where he immediately put up better stats as a backup than he had as the lead back, and won the super bowl lol.

I'm not here to tell you Ajayi was a great player, but "Gase didn't run guys off" is revisionist.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Docjowles posted:

Gase seems to have had a big beef with Jay Ajayi in Miami, culminating in trading him to the Eagles. Where he immediately put up better stats as a backup than he had as the lead back, and won the super bowl lol.

I'm not here to tell you Ajayi was a great player, but "Gase didn't run guys off" is revisionist.

Didn't he also have a beef with Leveon Bell and Jamal Adams?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
And Jarvis Landry

Gase wanted to be a college coach so he could be the real star

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Mcmagic is being pedantic and arguing none of those guys are any good etc etc

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/Sheena_Marie3/status/1570124380780257280

lol

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

hang a banner

Nov 6, 2002

This guy gets dumber every week.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

This guy gets dumber every week.

That's not fair. I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume he's hit rock bottom. :colbert:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

So if the NFL would cut the first half from all future games then they'd be one of the best teams in the league!

There are no flaws in this math.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Would it still be 3rd if other teams also got to cut out their worst 25 minute block?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

mcmagic posted:

What

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Bengals coach is on the hot seat

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

They averaged 0.7 yards per play the first 25 minutes in case anyone was curious.

They also had a 75 yard bomb to Robbie Anderson so if you take that play out they averaged about 5.7 yards per play the final 35 minutes. This guy shouldn't be an NFL head coach

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Here's what I think of when I think about Matt Rhule:

quote:

“Run-pass option has been my deal with the devil,” Rhule said at a coaching clinic last summer. “We won a couple games, but it wasn’t played the way I wanted it to be played. I want the game to look a certain way, with a certain brand. Run-pass option has been a bridge for me, a way to win. We want to be tough. We believe in full gear, weightlifting, the Oklahoma drill. All the people tell us to be careful about doing, I believe that’s exactly what we need to do.”

That quote was from 2020. This guy is competing in a league with Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes. Just fire him now and save yourself a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

AndrewP posted:

Here's what I think of when I think about Matt Rhule:

That quote was from 2020. This guy is competing in a league with Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes. Just fire him now and save yourself a few years.

Lol that Rhules