Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
As for manufacturers, not really. You'd have to go up to 28mm as all of the 15mm makers I can think of focus on Cold War stuff to tap that Team Yankee market. If you've got a 3d printer you could shrink some of the 28mm scale stuff down to 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Eureka Miniatures kind of comes out of nowhere and has what you need most times. Want Nazi apes with rocket packs? They are there for you.

15mm Russians?
https://eurekaminusa.com/collections/moderns-russians
Chechens
https://eurekaminusa.com/collections/moderns-chechans-15mm

Then there's Khurasan with an equally diverse amount of offerings from Sci Fi to Modern.
https://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/ukrainian.html

Here's the rest of Khurasan's historical ranges. If you go back in the future and it says, "the shop is closed" the owner just runs it whenever he feels like it. He gets overwhelmed, he shuts it down for a month. Got to keep checking.
https://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/historicalindex.html

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
That’s exactly what I’m looking for, and the figures largely don’t suffer from the worst excesses of 15mm historical figure proportions. Thanks!

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
By the way, the video that got me thinking about wargaming this conflict (includes long-distance combat footage, nothing gory):

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/xblel0/ukrainian_combined_arms_assault_on_peski_near/

I've never seen something that so closely approximates an actual tabletop wargame engagement before, right down to the terrain of ruined buildings amidst open ground and scattered foliage.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
One of the STl creators I follow specializes in age of sail naval stuff as well as the 6mm land stuff I usually get.

I'm thinking about dipping a toe into 1:1200 naval stuff (Napoleonic era). Any suggestions for good rules? I see a bunch out there but I'm flying blind a bit.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I've played Black Seas a couple of times and had a lot of fun. There are basic and advanced versions of the rules in the rulebook so you can go either beer and pretzels or full grognard, as you please.

edit: It's a little too granular if you want to fight like, the battle of Trafalgar or something but if you're looking for a game for 3-6 ships per side it works great.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 14, 2022

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Sails of Glory is pretty fun, too. I have a couple of write-ups in this thread about it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Throwing together some 3d printed 1:2400 WW2 models to play around with some rulesets. My first time ever painting naval, I think it turned out okay! I learned a lot along the way.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Count Thrashula posted:

Throwing together some 3d printed 1:2400 WW2 models to play around with some rulesets. My first time ever painting naval, I think it turned out okay! I learned a lot along the way.

Those look really good!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Count Thrashula posted:

Wow, yeah very nice! What game is it for, out of curiosity? I'm always curious about naval games (especially age of sail ones, but drat they'd be fragile and a pain to paint etc) but have never dipped into the sub-genre

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Count Thrashula posted:

These are rad but also very dangerous because you’ve made me want to paint some too

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Major Isoor posted:

Wow, yeah very nice! What game is it for, out of curiosity? I'm always curious about naval games (especially age of sail ones, but drat they'd be fragile and a pain to paint etc) but have never dipped into the sub-genre

I'm hoping to play General Quarters 3 since so many swear by it, but... On the other hand people also say it plays best on a ten foot square table so. Who knows.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Hey man got a source for those STLs? I'm building a tiny fleet for Fire at Sea.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Springfield Fatts posted:

Hey man got a source for those STLs? I'm building a tiny fleet for Fire at Sea.

Sure! This is where I got them. They're all paid, but like $3-4 per ship is still cheaper than buying premade models.

https://www.cgtrader.com/ghukek

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Ohhh Ghukek, yeah I saw him a while back and $50 seemed eye-popping for STLs but looks like he's having a sale.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Count Thrashula posted:

This seems like a really good idea and I might crank out a few for the old Axis and Allies naval miniatures game if I can find some good STLs.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I realize the Soviet Navy did almost nothing on the water, but I do wish companies would make their ships anyway for alternate history purposes.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

New dad milestone: kiddo got ahold of two of my tanks and apparently had a grand time smashing them together.

Hahaha, oh you little... rascal

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Count Thrashula posted:

They are so good that I can pick out Fletcher, New Orleans, Kongo, and Akizuki without reading the nameplates :tipshat:

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

I realize the Soviet Navy did almost nothing on the water, but I do wish companies would make their ships anyway for alternate history purposes.

Someone ought to make the models from World of Warships printable, if that's even possible

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I've seen them out there, but they're really too detailed. All the rigging and such, it would take forever to clean up and make printable.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

NTRabbit posted:

They are so good that I can pick out Fletcher, New Orleans, Kongo, and Akizuki without reading the nameplates :tipshat:

That's about the highest praise I can think of! Thanks!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
And tonight's little naval jaunt is three British 3rd rate ships-of-the-line from the Napoleonic era. 1/2400 is an absurdly small scale for doing details, but I might see if I can print off tiny flags and MAYBE do some basic rigging. Or I may just leave them like this and put labels on the bases.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

BT stands for Best Tank

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Count Thrashula posted:

And tonight's little naval jaunt is three British 3rd rate ships-of-the-line from the Napoleonic era. 1/2400 is an absurdly small scale for doing details, but I might see if I can print off tiny flags and MAYBE do some basic rigging. Or I may just leave them like this and put labels on the bases.

Little flags are probably all you need to do at that size, with maybe a nice scrollwork sticker of the ship's name to go on the back of the base.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

A while ago people mentioned 3dBreed's WWII STL files, March to Hell. I looked them up, and they looked nice enough, but I am wondering if anyone has printed them out? They look a little thick/chunky and I am wondering if they look ok printed out? They also seem to appear to have really short legs, which was especially noticeable for the US paratroopers. The knee reinforcement material on the march to hell ones, where the knees would be, seem to overlap behind the bottom of the field blouse, so they look like they have really long blouses or really short legs.

I am just wondering if they look off like that in person, on the odd chance anyone here has printed some of them.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yeah i've printed a bunch. they are chunky but look good for what they are at 12-18 mm scale. it works. sorta like adler at 6mm if you're familiar. the exaggerated features are for both strength and also to give an impressionistic effect at a distance

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

some bad phone pics that i just snapped of some unpainted samples when i was testing out some basing sizes (these are printed at ~12 mm as i recall)

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

They look like they would work just as well as official models for Flames of War. How do you like them at bigger scale, like 28-32mm?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You can also scale the X and Y to about 85% and they'll look a lot less chonky at 28mm.

At 15mm or below, you barely notice it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

moths posted:

You can also scale the X and Y to about 85% and they'll look a lot less chonky at 28mm.

At 15mm or below, you barely notice it.

That is a good idea too. My resin printer arrives on Monday, so maybe a week or two from now when I have got it dialed in I will buy a few of their STLs to do a few test prints and see how it shapes up. Even if they were chonky that might be better than some of the bolt action figures, some of those faces are just really poor.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah the warlord games faces are mixed at best. I still lol remembering that Korean War line.

There's a "march to hell" facebook group that has lots of posts of people trying to dial in scale settings to match other manufacturers if you want to check that out.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

A while ago people mentioned 3dBreed's WWII STL files, March to Hell. I looked them up, and they looked nice enough, but I am wondering if anyone has printed them out? They look a little thick/chunky and I am wondering if they look ok printed out? They also seem to appear to have really short legs, which was especially noticeable for the US paratroopers. The knee reinforcement material on the march to hell ones, where the knees would be, seem to overlap behind the bottom of the field blouse, so they look like they have really long blouses or really short legs.

I am just wondering if they look off like that in person, on the odd chance anyone here has printed some of them.

I've printed a lot of them and in general they've turned out really well at 15mm. The only caveats is that the bases they come on and the pre-supports are not very good, I tended to just remove those in my slicer and print them without. Another thing is that a couple of them will have like a mid-stride pose that really hosed with my printer until I gave the back foot a bunch of extra supports.

This is an American Rifle Platoon at 15mm that used the March to Hell STLs, if you want to get a sense of how they look painted/based. I think the chunkiness works kind of the same way as 28mm heroic works, where it just adds a bit more visual interest at small scales.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

SpaceViking posted:

I've printed a lot of them and in general they've turned out really well at 15mm. The only caveats is that the bases they come on and the pre-supports are not very good, I tended to just remove those in my slicer and print them without. Another thing is that a couple of them will have like a mid-stride pose that really hosed with my printer until I gave the back foot a bunch of extra supports.

This is an American Rifle Platoon at 15mm that used the March to Hell STLs, if you want to get a sense of how they look painted/based. I think the chunkiness works kind of the same way as 28mm heroic works, where it just adds a bit more visual interest at small scales.

looking good. yeah i never ended up painting any of mine, and honestly i dunno if i will. i just like 6 mm too much, even scaling down to 12 mm (10 mm made the guns just a little too spindly) wasn't enough mass effect. good points on the proportional scaling in x and y, but honestly i'd try a test run first before doing that. at 28-32 i think they'll still be good, and any distaste i'd chock up to stylistic preference. these are the kind of figs made to be viewed top down or oblique at the wargame table imo, looking at them up close or front on like it's dioramic un-distorts the proportions that are intentionally distorted for the game table

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I printed MtH for FoW. The infantry dimensions don't bug me but those who care recommended reducing the x/y axes by 5-15%. Guns are fine too, but for vehicles I prefer m_bergman or tigerace stls - turrets fit much better and scale is the same battlefront uses.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I will say their Wild West STLs are scaled for 32mm and they're great models. I really wish they'd go back to their WW2 stuff and reissue it properly scaled for 28mm instead of upsized 15mm.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SpaceViking posted:

These look really good for that scale, or at least you did a great job. I I agine with 15mm you can print a bajillion guys with a tub of resin.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

My first historical convention is in the books. I played Chain of Command, Carnage & Glory, and ran Sharp Practice. I was really dreading my game but it went really, really well. The players had fun and nobody was a bad sport.

Chain of Command was really fun outside of some old guys trying to give me orders as if I were somehow loving up...they didn't even understand the strategy behind dumping shock on stuff.

Carnage & Glory is definitely not my thing. I really like to understand how a game works or why things happen. Having the computer do everything and not knowing why it decides something isn't fun for me. There was some bad sportsmanship from some old guys on the losing team too.

Now on to the club GameDay in October. I think I'll probably take Napoleonic Sharp Practice, but my ironclads have been painting quickly so Dawn of Iron might be on the table.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

alg posted:

Chain of Command was really fun outside of some old guys trying to give me orders as if I were somehow loving up...they didn't even understand the strategy behind dumping shock on stuff.

Ah, the old bossy grognard. There's always one at every wargaming event. My favorite sub-variety is the ex-military grognard who ties to use their veteran status as their credentials for bossing others around - because a couple years fixing humvees in Iraq apparently makes someone an expert at Napoleonic wargaming or whatever.

Also, of course any time something doesn't go their way the immediately resort to "well in REAL LIFE that would never happen".

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I think part of it too is that I'm at least 20 yrs younger than any of these guys, and I am a yankee. Meanwhile they can't even count dice correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Whoa I had a similar experience at my local scene this weekend. The Carnage & Glory 2 table seemed to swing between incredibly bored waiting around to put in spreadsheet notes to incredibly confused on implementing the actual results.