Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Elviscat posted:

The company I work for just hired a few ex Navy and AF people who worked on NKO and whatever the AF equivalent is to make our CBTs.

RIP my job.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Classic battle tech?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/tbh4justice/status/1570104121709166592?s=20&t=n7KHINTwGaMr-5B-R86vJA

Seems real bad for oversight of the police force

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/14/business/patagonia-ownership/index.html

Story about Patagonia founder transferring ownership into entities that will invest 100% of profits into fighting climate crisis. I don’t know poo poo about business or whether this is as noble a thing as what the article is painting it as. I will leave that analysis to smarter folks than me.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Something about quoting laws to men with swords.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Guess they finally realized all they were doing was teaching people how to lie via spreadsheet.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hekk posted:

Story about Patagonia founder transferring ownership into entities that will invest 100% of profits into fighting climate crisis. I don’t know poo poo about business or whether this is as noble a thing as what the article is painting it as. I will leave that analysis to smarter folks than me.

Patagonia has a history of putting their money where their mouth is with regard to conservation and also treating their employees well. This is a Good Thing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LASD has been run by internal gangs for fifty years. Oversight doesn't have a chance.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Stultus Maximus posted:

LASD has been run by internal gangs for fifty years. Oversight doesn't have a chance.

Fuckin' wild story there

quote:

Villanueva has already seen a sheriff taken down over protecting problematic deputies. In 2014, Lee Baca resigned, after sixteen years in office, and was subsequently charged in a federal obstruction case. He and his under-sheriff, Paul Tanaka, had conspired to block the F.B.I. from investigating deputy abuses and gang behavior in the county jails. In the process, they had confronted the lead agent at her home and threatened her with arrest. Baca was given a sentence of three years, Tanaka five. During Tanaka’s trial, he revealed that he had a tattoo associated with the Vikings, a deputy clique once described by a federal judge as a “neo-Nazi, white supremacist gang.”

Pretty loving ballsy, and stupid, to threaten an FBI agent at her home.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
theyre the largest gang in america

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Handsome Ralph posted:

Fuckin' wild story there

The FBI is less than twice as large as LASD and way more spread out; they're not some unstoppable force if a large department is willing to push it to a very naked point.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Hekk posted:

I took an environmental justice course in undergrad where the professor had written pretty extensively about how all forms of conservation that aren't allocating dollars for the specific purpose of conserving land or animals directly are a waste of time and effort, and ultimately fail to achieve any substantial progress. He was a big supporter of the world collectively paying Brazil money not do develop massive sections of the amazon rainforest and other similar endeavors because of how completely our economic system fails to price in the cost of pollution into the sales price of an item.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Crab Dad posted:

You failed.
Did we really have to make it explicit to not rape?
In recent years, a lot of emphasis is pushed towards eliminating the bystander effect.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Handsome Ralph posted:

Fuckin' wild story there

Yeah what kind of racist piece of poo poo thinks they are untouchable by the fed, like they are some kind of mafioso?

That's Paul Tanaka to the right wtf

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

rail strike's off

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/freight-rail-strike-biden-announces-agreement-to-avert-railway-strike/

the guy that was suing the OKC county jail for torturing the inmates has become the 14th fatality in OKC jail this year

https://kfor.com/news/local/man-who-sued-over-alleged-baby-shark-torture-dies-inside-oklahoma-county-jail/amp/

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Looking very much like we had the right president/team at the right time and the workers won what they wanted (because holy gently caress, it wasn't that much):

https://twitter.com/LaurenKGurley/status/1570363362978201601?t=MT6EwXg2nLQNqgEiRWMd0A&s=19

https://twitter.com/LaurenKGurley/status/1570367402705125377?t=Ig0aJjYsw6UUjDjzN4Dw1w&s=19

Sounding like there was a fuckin 20-hour bargaining meeting and the Labor Secretary called Amtrak Joe to close the sale.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
No discipline for taking medical leave? Until proven otherwise I'm putting that in the same pile of bullshit as their open door policy.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
How much trouble is Brett Favre in for his Mississippi bullshit?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Leave posted:

Unless the feds step in - zero. The current governor has already fired a prosecutor for issuing subpoenas related to it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Leave posted:

He's a rich white athlete with good ol' boy ties in a corrupt, Southern (but I repeat myself) state, what does your heart telk you? It will be a surprise if he even has to give back the money he stole.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

He's a rich white athlete with good ol' boy ties in a corrupt, Southern (but I repeat myself) state, what does your heart telk you? It will be a surprise if he even has to give back the money he stole.

He didn't get any money. He funneled the money into a new volleyball stadium at his alma mater because his daughter played there.

He probably could have donated that money out of his own pocket and wouldn't have been too impacted.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

He didn't get any money. He funneled the money into a new volleyball stadium at his alma mater because his daughter played there.

He probably could have donated that money out of his own pocket and wouldn't have been too impacted.

He did steal $1.1m of welfare money related to that stadium thing, but my foot's in my mouth since he was forced to pay that back (edit: partially). No criminal consequences, of course.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

He actually did get money. $1 million in welfare bucks for speeches which he never gave. The state auditor made him give it back but he refused to pay the interest the auditor says he owes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Ah, forgot about that. gently caress favre.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
What are the odds that we get a president who loves trains and claims to be pro union when rail workers are going to strike and it works in favor of the worker?

Between this and his major scaling back of drone strikes I’d say Biden is only bad and not the worst. Weird.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Still don't like him but I'll hand him that, trup would have ordered the strikers gassed

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
You can, in fact, hand it to Biden if you want to.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s a two-party negotiation with a deal that union members are free to refuse. I’m not entirely sure why people elsewhere are freaking out about the current offer on the table as if it’s some unilateral decree.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s a two-party negotiation with a deal that union members are free to refuse. I’m not entirely sure why people elsewhere are freaking out about the current offer on the table as if it’s some unilateral decree.

Details are still light, but it looks like the union is getting what they asked for (which really wasn't much):

https://twitter.com/JFMoranCo/status/1570396114687512578?t=Y8D4U8a7Ww6fYG45Rg0CrQ&s=19

The big thing was the utterly loving absurd sick leave policies of the railways - two week on-call 24/7, no absences, dinged if you ever had to call out sick, and so on. The three weeks of leave they got a year had to be pre-scheduled and if you got sick, gently caress you. That appears to be changing, but you're right, unions could vote it down. But even in that case, there won't be any strike for a few weeks as striking is prevented for a few weeks post-interim agreement.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My last union gig, the contract was hosed into having to call in sick 24 hours in advance, I am betting they had stupid poo poo like this designed to keep membership (and bargaining stength) down.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Wasabi the J posted:

My last union gig, the contract was hosed into having to call in sick 24 hours in advance, I am betting they had stupid poo poo like this designed to keep membership (and bargaining stength) down.

The rail companies have bonus fuckery too - a vote from Congress and the President could outright kill the strike due to some emergency infrastructure law or some poo poo. So the rail companies went into the pre-strike phase figuring they had an upper hand to keep that bullshit, but President I LIKE TRAINS knows what brought him to the dance:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1570382957109563392?t=1_4ubMD7RSRlp-D5OvKtXQ&s=19

$2B a day in economic losses probably isn't going to make President Trains gently caress up his entire image.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I hope a large portion of them walk off the job this weekend.

E: cnn talking about Favre has me hoping for federal charges on everyone involved. Wishful thinking, I know.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 15, 2022

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

slurm posted:

The FBI is less than twice as large as LASD and way more spread out; they're not some unstoppable force if a large department is willing to push it to a very naked point.

ACAB and all that, but if there's one thing the FBI loves to do and is quite good at, it's dropping charges on state and local cops who gently caress around with them.

Like, if they get called in for a civil rights or public corruption investigation, they'll do their thing and unless stuff is glaringly obvious, they'll issue a report and call it a day. But if they find out you're lying to them, or better yet, you try threatening them, lol at you.

Look no further than Tanaka getting slapped with charges to see this in effect.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

ACAB and all that, but if there's one thing the FBI loves to do and is quite good at, it's dropping charges on state and local cops who gently caress around with them.

Like, if they get called in for a civil rights or public corruption investigation, they'll do their thing and unless stuff is glaringly obvious, they'll issue a report and call it a day. But if they find out you're lying to them, or better yet, you try threatening them, lol at you.

Look no further than Tanaka getting slapped with charges to see this in effect.

Yeah when it comes to Gang Turf Wars, the FBI's turf is not to be trifled with. When the KKK killed a couple Federal officers during the Civil Rights movement, they quickly learned that was the easiest way to get hosed up.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

I took an environmental justice course in undergrad where the professor had written pretty extensively about how all forms of conservation that aren't allocating dollars for the specific purpose of conserving land or animals directly are a waste of time and effort, and ultimately fail to achieve any substantial progress. He was a big supporter of the world collectively paying Brazil money not do develop massive sections of the amazon rainforest and other similar endeavors because of how completely our economic system fails to price in the cost of pollution into the sales price of an item.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Externality

For anyone that wants a way to talk about this. Factory makes 100 dollars a year, but the pollution causes 50 dollars a year in lung related healthcare costs. That cost is an externality.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

And externalising (aka off shoring) a production-necessary item and/or service to burden somebody else so the cost for that item can be purposefully cratered for your benefit, is called commoditization.
Business schools and its products are the focus groups of satan.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So the more I read about it, the train contract deal might not be that great if it doesn't dramatically fix some of the bullshit attendance/leave policies, which I don't think it d..ILDO TRUCK! OVERTURNED DILDO TRUCK!

https://twitter.com/TheLostOgle/status/1570474377300393984?t=Eil25IWLZ624T71YmXS_6w&s=19

technically vibrators and lube, and might not actually be those, but shut up

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1570508924054544384

This is 100% the fault of LibsOfTikTok and the anti-trans panic that they’re helping to stoke.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Love how we're on warp speed towards 1980's Satanic Panic 2.0, but this time with more mass murder.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1570026860746084353

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Stochastic terrorism is the right's favourite tool of change. This was bound to happen as they've been left completely unchecked for the past 20 years.